Jambo! The newest AKL Information thread

Heading to AKL for the first time in just under a month! Squeeeeee! We are planning for a couple of resort days, since we hear all about the great things. What are some of your must-see things at the resort? What is involved in the activities that are available for kids? Does anyone have a link to the most recent activities schedule? Has anyone done the kitchen tour? Anyone use the kids club - I know it's closing, but it will be open while we are there. We have 2 super active boys, ages 4 and 6.

Hey, kimmar067, since you started this great thread that all of us love, I have a suggestion. What if we asked the mods to make a sub thread that deals only with the pool situation? That way, the pool thread won’t get lost on the main Resorts board. Pool people can share their results on the sub thread with people of like mind, and it was leave this main thread for the information that all of us have come to enjoy (whether affected by the pool or not).

I would be happy to contact the mods if you like.

Heading to AKL for the first time in just under a month! Squeeeeee! We are planning for a couple of resort days, since we hear all about the great things. What are some of your must-see things at the resort? What is involved in the activities that are available for kids? Does anyone have a link to the most recent activities schedule? Has anyone done the kitchen tour? Anyone use the kids club - I know it's closing, but it will be open while we are there. We have 2 super active boys, ages 4 and 6.

Here is the recreation guide: http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/resorts/wdw/pdf/AKLCalendar.pdf. The site updates it every month so if you bookmark that link they will update it for July.

I don't have kids so I can't help with the children's activities but I've seen them being held around the resort and the kids always look like they are having fun.

We did the free culinary tour at Sanaa earlier this spring and it was really nice - we had a cast member tell us about the artifacts in the restaurant and about her home country, then we got a sample of the bread service. I highly recommend it for adults if you have time- there weren't any kids on our tour so I don't know if she would have provided any more info geared to kids had there been some.

Hey, kimmar067, since you started this great thread that all of us love, I have a suggestion. What if we asked the mods to make a sub thread that deals only with the pool situation? That way, the pool thread won’t get lost on the main Resorts board. Pool people can share their results on the sub thread with people of like mind, and it was leave this main thread for the information that all of us have come to enjoy (whether affected by the pool or not).

I would be happy to contact the mods if you like.
I already mentioned other threads that were started. The pool closing and refurbs are temporary and an important part of this thread since it deals with Jambo (title of thread says Jambo)...imo. Some folks did
not know about them until they read it here. Still plenty of good info here from people currently at AKL.

Here is the recreation guide: http://www.themouseforless.com/tripplanning/resorts/wdw/pdf/AKLCalendar.pdf. The site updates it every month so if you bookmark that link they will update it for July.

I don't have kids so I can't help with the children's activities but I've seen them being held around the resort and the kids always look like they are having fun.

We did the free culinary tour at Sanaa earlier this spring and it was really nice - we had a cast member tell us about the artifacts in the restaurant and about her home country, then we got a sample of the bread service. I highly recommend it for adults if you have time- there weren't any kids on our tour so I don't know if she would have provided any more info geared to kids had there been some.

Where can i get information about the culinary tour? Do you sign up ahead of time or just do it at the resort? Thanks!

Where can i get information about the culinary tour? Do you sign up ahead of time or just do it at the resort? Thanks!

You just go to the podium at the time on the recreation guide! I see now that the recreation guide is calling the Sanaa one a "cultural tour" but we also got a visit from one of the chefs who showed us pictures of the tandoori ovens and talked about some of their cooking methods. It wasn't too long, a perfect freebie. Looks like the Sanaa one meets at the Sanaa check in desk at 4:00 and the Jiko/Boma one meets at the Jiko desk at 4:15. No sign up necessary.

You're making me want to go back to AKL immediately! :laughing:

You just go to the podium at the time on the recreation guide! I see now that the recreation guide is calling the Sanaa one a "cultural tour" but we also got a visit from one of the chefs who showed us pictures of the tandoori ovens and talked about some of their cooking methods. It wasn't too long, a perfect freebie. Looks like the Sanaa one meets at the Sanaa check in desk at 4:00 and the Jiko/Boma one meets at the Jiko desk at 4:15. No sign up necessary.

Me too, I can't believe I have to wait until January to be back at AKL.

We did the Boma/Jiko tour and it was really nice. They spoke about the design of the restaurants and cultural influences and then we got the Taste of Africa bread service at Jiko and zebra domes and soup at Boma. We had a couple kids on our tour and the CM was really good with keeping them engaged as well as the adults, but that is likely CM specific.

My husband loves to do the marshmallow roasting and there are always kids there and they seem like they are enjoying it as well.

There's smores for kids every night, weather permitting, usually 6-8 at Jambo, 6-7 at Kidani. Also, if you find yourself over at Kidani, the Community Hall is great! Our 4YO granddaughter couldn't wait to go back there every day - $2-$5 allows them to paint crafts, etc.. like animal bobble heads.

How long are these tours?

How long are these tours?

I think the whole experience of the tour and then chatting with the chef and eating our bread service was maybe 30 minutes or so. Not too long, even with lingering over the bread service chatting with the other people that took the tour. I can't speak for the Jiko/Boma one but I would imagine they try to wrap it up before dinner service really starts so I doubt it's much longer.

Thank you for the info! We are very excited for our trip to AKL in October. It’s our first time staying there :-)

Me too, I can't believe I have to wait until January to be back at AKL.

We did the Boma/Jiko tour and it was really nice. They spoke about the design of the restaurants and cultural influences and then we got the Taste of Africa bread service at Jiko and zebra domes and soup at Boma. We had a couple kids on our tour and the CM was really good with keeping them engaged as well as the adults, but that is likely CM specific.

My husband loves to do the marshmallow roasting and there are always kids there and they seem like they are enjoying it as well.

How long is this tour?

We will have to use Kidani pool as well while the Jambo pool is under construction for our October trip. My opinion is that Disney can't be too concerned about overcrowding IF for example DVC won't do ANYTHING for its members. Understand that there no available rooms in October since F&W is such high demand time, but they are INFLEXIBLE in that we booked back in Dec, 2017. IF we had known about pool reconstruction, would have made other choices. Booked a Jambo studio for DH and me. Non DVC bookings were offered to change resorts, BUT when I asked to be relocated to a deluxe hotel resort instead(knowing that there are NO standard studios available for my October stay) they refused and simply offered to book a resort room at the regular point per night rate.
Very disappointed in Disney inflexibility and lack of customer service with this issue.:mad: IMO, perhaps they could have offered to reduce the per point per night at a deluxe resort to make up inconvenience to members..:mad: Never happened! PS!!! As of today, NO postal mail notification for our October Jambo trip!>:(
I am just now finding out about the pool being closed! I booked our 8 night October trip right at the 11 month mark. Really upsetting that I found this info out on a social media group. I have not received any notification whatsoever! I called DVC and they really could've cared less. Just basically said to put in a waitlist in. Yeah, like that has a chance of coming through during F&W. This info should have been made available to us before the 7 month mark so we could plan accordingly to switch. Not happy!

I'm more concerned about the hot tub closing than anything. We'll be there at the end of October and I have arthritis in my hips: a hot tub at night is a must after a Disney park day.
Same here! My husband has issues with his knee and ankles and I have issues with a hip. A hot tub is a must for us after a day in the parks. Very disappointed we have not been notified about this and I am just finding out online about the closures.

We are officially booked for January 28th - February 3rd at Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House!
We are a large party (6 adults, 2 children, 2 infants) and while I was on the phone securing our room-only reservation, the only villa studio available at Jambo house was a Savannah view. This room would be for my cousin & his family.

Now, they are thinking that they may want to switch over to Kidani Village if the studios is less expensive. The cast member suggested that we book at Jambo House because as we have small children, it is smaller or overall less proximity between our room and the food court or bus stops.

Please chime in - will we regret it if we move over to Kidani Village? How much bigger is it? We've stayed in Magnolia House at POR and that felt like quite a walk to the food court each morning. I'm looking at the overall map and Kidani Village looks extremely far from the Mara unless we can get rooms in building 2 towards the far end.

We are officially booked for January 28th - February 3rd at Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House!
We are a large party (6 adults, 2 children, 2 infants) and while I was on the phone securing our room-only reservation, the only villa studio available at Jambo house was a Savannah view. This room would be for my cousin & his family.

Now, they are thinking that they may want to switch over to Kidani Village if the studios is less expensive. The cast member suggested that we book at Jambo House because as we have small children, it is smaller or overall less proximity between our room and the food court or bus stops.

Please chime in - will we regret it if we move over to Kidani Village? How much bigger is it? We've stayed in Magnolia House at POR and that felt like quite a walk to the food court each morning. I'm looking at the overall map and Kidani Village looks extremely far from the Mara unless we can get rooms in building 2 towards the far end.

We would never stay anywhere other than Kidani. We stayed on South trail, close to bus stop. It took about 8 minutes for us to walk to Jambo, and a back and forth shuttle runs as well.

I am just now finding out about the pool being closed! I booked our 8 night October trip right at the 11 month mark. Really upsetting that I found this info out on a social media group. I have not received any notification whatsoever! I called DVC and they really could've cared less. Just basically said to put in a waitlist in. Yeah, like that has a chance of coming through during F&W. This info should have been made available to us before the 7 month mark so we could plan accordingly to switch. Not happy!

https://www.disboards.com/threads/akl-and-pool-rehab-suggestions.3681907/#post-59361958

How often will you be eating at Mara? I do not think Mara is convenient to Kidani AT ALL. We stayed at Jambo House and it was very close. On the same note, though, we thought that we would be eating at Mara more often than we actually did. We only at there twice: one dinner and one breakfast. The menu is very small and we just weren't interested in eating the same food every day. If Mara is the only thing holding you back, then I'd book at Kidani and save money. Also for small children I think the splash area at Kidani is nicer than the baby pool at Jambo.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter