January 2018 Car Rental Watch

TinkTink78

DIS Veteran
We are cruising out of Port Canaveral the last week of January. We arrive the night before departure and wanted to rent a car to drop off at the port - we have several different transportation options, but I prefer a rental car.

I am a very seasoned car renter.... but these rates are some of the highest I have ever seen!

Anyone have anything booked? I currently have a one day rental for $100+!

Not January but we booked for April 2018 for 10 days out of Ft. Myers-a premium SUV for $988 (I think) thru BJs.

We don't have Costco and I was going to get a membership when my dh said to look at BJs. I was thrilled since the Alamo site was much much more. Actually we re booked with in a week since the prices dropped by $100.

OK so that didn't help you, sorry.

The care rental prices are insane. A minivan for 10 days Jan 20-30 is 3-4 times more expensive than last year.

I have a full size through Dollar 01/26 to 1/30 for $217.00 right now. That's the cheapest I could find :( Hopefully I can get it under $200 eventually.

Just checked January for Marathon weekend (1/3 - 1/8). Cheapest I found was around $300. Didn't book anything yet. Will keep looking.

Prices are usually high (in my experience) this far out. Everything I have looked at is coming back in the $250 range for a six day mid or full size rental in January. I expect it to come down quite a bit over the next couple of months. I've even canceled and rebooked in the day or two prior to a trip to get a good deal. I wouldn't worry just yet.

Hey there..... I've been viewing all the trip boards for any rental car codes/offers that I can find, so I wanted to chime in here. We are not going until next August but it never hurts to start getting any info you can.
For our trip, it's been 5 years since our last trip to the world. This will most likely be our last family vacation as my son will start college the following summer/have school on his mind (which makes me sad that the kids are getting old enough and starting to fly the coop :sad:). So we decided to do one last hurrah!

We are planning on staying for 18 days this time (this is the longest vacation we have ever taken!) and my brother will even be coming down to spend about 10 days with us. So I'm trying to find a good offer on a mini-van. (need to have room for 4 adults and a 10 year old - plus luggage)

I agree that prices will come down before most trip dates. I've been doing a comparison on dates/weeks out from trip. Most costs start to fall as you get about 6 weeks before your travel dates (but not always).

Of course it all depends on what type of car, length of time, etc. I would say 9 times out of 10 in the past I could usually get a mini-van for about $250/week or less. Boy, I had no idea how much more they charge for more than a 2 week rental. I almost hit the floor when I saw $1800 - $2000 for 18 days! YIKES! I think it might be less expensive to rent 2 cars than 1 mini-van. How crazy is that! I still don't understand the pricing game that the rental car companies play. I guess it's all about supply and demand, but wow!

Anxiously awaiting some "deals".
~D

I currently have a minivan booked with National for $310 (one week). If I book Emerald Aisle the price is $258. Is it possible to hold two reservations, check out the EA to see if they have something that will fit us, and whether they do or not, be able to cancel the reservation we're not going to use? I couldn't find info on the cancellation policy. If it makes any difference as to what might be on the EA we'll be arriving in the middle of January, 9:00 on a Wednesday night.

I have a standard size car with Alamo for $305 for 10 days. Prices are high but they're also high for my September trip so I'm not sure if it'll go down much or if this is the new normal.

How does Emerald work? Is it a free membership?

It is free to join. You reserve and you're guaranteed a midsize vehicle. But you can choose from anything on the aisle. In the past we've seen minivans, suv's, convertibles and even pickup trucks. It's just a luck of the draw because you could get there and there might only be midsize. We've done it many times in the past and been fine but this trip we have six people. Their prices haven't been great lately but I didn't think $258 was too bad.

I checked today for a 7-day rental commencing January 20, and prices are absolutely nuts just about everywhere. I was particularly surprised to see sky-high rates from Dollar, from which I had gotten a great rate for a summertime trip to DLR. Just have to be patient, I guess.

I currently have a mid size with Alamo booked through Costco for 9 days for $256. Would like to get it under $200.

I just decided last week to go down in Jaunary for a week and these car prices are nuts. I signed up with autoslash but 219 was best I could do for compact which I never get....

Has anyone found a good coupon code for January?

I was able to get a 10 day economy rental through Alamo for $200 using product code AS1 and contract ID 7015309 (I think this is a Costco code so you may need a membership). It even came with an additional driver for free! It's certainly higher than I want to be paying but it's peanuts compared to the prices everywhere else is charging ($400-$500!).

I was able to get a 10 day economy rental through Alamo for $200 using product code AS1 and contract ID 7015309 (I think this is a Costco code so you may need a membership). It even came with an additional driver for free! It's certainly higher than I want to be paying but it's peanuts compared to the prices everywhere else is charging ($400-$500!).

Does the name on Costco membership have to match the name on the rental? I ask because we don't have Costco near us but I have friends in the other parts of the country that have memberships who would gladly let me use their membership ID to get a discount

Does the name on Costco membership have to match the name on the rental? I ask because we don't have Costco near us but I have friends in the other parts of the country that have memberships who would gladly let me use their membership ID to get a discount

if you do a pick up at a self serve kiosk you don't even see anyone and wouldn't have to show your card to anyone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter