January 2018 Car Rental Watch

I was able to get a 10 day economy rental through Alamo for $200 using product code AS1 and contract ID 7015309 (I think this is a Costco code so you may need a membership). It even came with an additional driver for free! It's certainly higher than I want to be paying but it's peanuts compared to the prices everywhere else is charging ($400-$500!).
Best 9 day Mini Van rental I could find prior to using these codes was $552 USD. Using the above codes I now have a rate of $334 USD! Is AS1 ok to use?

Best 9 day Mini Van rental I could find prior to using these codes was $552 USD. Using the above codes I now have a rate of $334 USD! Is AS1 ok to use?

Mine keeps saying invalid code...where did you plug it in at?

I also found the AS1 code to be unusable. I believe this is the code that's been the subject of much discussion here over the past few years regarding customer eligibility. In any event, it was a no-go for me.

Does the name on Costco membership have to match the name on the rental? I ask because we don't have Costco near us but I have friends in the other parts of the country that have memberships who would gladly let me use their membership ID to get a discount

I'm honestly not sure. As a previous poster said you can do online check in with Alamo prior to actually picking the car up and it lets you skip the counter and not have to actually speak with anyone. I don't know if I would risk it but its up to you.

I've used it before without any issues. I always skip the counter and check in before picking the car up though.

I also found the AS1 code to be unusable. I believe this is the code that's been the subject of much discussion here over the past few years regarding customer eligibility. In any event, it was a no-go for me.

Sorry it's not working for you! I didn't know about the eligibility issues. I don't know where the code came from, I've seen it thrown around a lot here and I've used it in the past with no issues so I figured I would see if it would work this time and it did. What eligibility issues were people having with it?

Hoping for a great rate the last week of January... last year I paid $165 for 10 days for full-size.

Sorry it's not working for you! I didn't know about the eligibility issues. I don't know where the code came from, I've seen it thrown around a lot here and I've used it in the past with no issues so I figured I would see if it would work this time and it did. What eligibility issues were people having with it?

My recollection is that this particular code was connected to some South American travel agency, or was somehow not intended for use by U.S. renters. But I suppose the more general issue is that using a code of unknown origin could lead to a situation where the renter is asked to show entitlement to use that code. If they can't, there is a risk that the rental rate could be adjusted up, maybe WAY up.

AS1 goes in the product code box and 7015309 in the contract id box.
Not US codes . Are you from the great white north by any chance? Right under the pick up location is a box to pick residency country. AS1 and 7015309 work for Canada.

Just checked January for Marathon weekend (1/3 - 1/8). Cheapest I found was around $300. Didn't book anything yet. Will keep looking.

Still hadn't booked for January so I did a National Emerald Aisle today using my work account. Ridiculous prices.

1 Week(s) @162.50
Taxes and Fees
Customer Facility Charge 3.50/day$ 21.00
Priv Fee Recov Chg 10 Pct (10.0%)$ 16.65
Florida Surcharge 2.00/day$ 12.00
Tire Battery Fee .02 Day$ 0.12
Vehicle License Fee .66/day$ 3.96
Sales Tax (6.5%)$ 14.05
Estimated Total (includes taxes and fees)
$ 230.28

Not US codes . Are you from the great white north by any chance? Right under the pick up location is a box to pick residency country. AS1 and 7015309 work for Canada.

Yes I am from Canada. Huh, it's weird how some things differ like that between countries. I never would have even thought about that.

Just booked a quick trip for January so joining in. Our preference is to fly into Tampa so I will be scouting out rates for there.

Hoping for price improvement as we get closer to January! Have a Full size booked(did this back in August), with Alamo, 15 days, $540. Ouch! And, each time I go in looking for a better deal, the price is generally hundreds more.

Hoping for price improvement as we get closer to January! Have a Full size booked(did this back in August), with Alamo, 15 days, $540. Ouch! And, each time I go in looking for a better deal, the price is generally hundreds more.

The crazy high prices are really discouraging :guilty: The only thing we can do is keep checking!

*edit I also just realized from your ticker we arrive in WDW the same day!

I have to assume the prices will moderate in the course of time. This is about the worst I've ever seen--hard to believe anyone not on an expense account would rent at these rates.

Not a COSTCO Member, I was finding other options quite expensive, so I went back to my old stand-by: Priceline-Name Your Own Price. I bid $33/day for a minivan and got what I wanted (2 weeks, Jan 17 to 31) for a total of $632 from Budget. Something I was pleased to see: Priceline now offers to refund the difference if you find a better rate on the same itinerary.

Not a COSTCO Member, I was finding other options quite expensive, so I went back to my old stand-by: Priceline-Name Your Own Price. I bid $33/day for a minivan and got what I wanted (2 weeks, Jan 17 to 31) for a total of $632 from Budget. Something I was pleased to see: Priceline now offers to refund the difference if you find a better rate on the same itinerary.

I may give this a try if rates do not improve significantly. Right now, Sixt is still the best by far for Jan 20-27, but I am not enthused about using an off-site company I'm not familiar with.

if you do a pick up at a self serve kiosk you don't even see anyone and wouldn't have to show your card to anyone.
I would say "it depends" on showing the card. One time we did the self-serve thing and were asked for the COSTCO card along with driver license and CC at the gate exiting the garage.

I would say "it depends" on showing the card. One time we did the self-serve thing and were asked for the COSTCO card along with driver license and CC at the gate exiting the garage.

oh wow I have rented at least 20x at MCO and never asked for a card...

We booked through Rentalcars.com for Dec 31-Jan 9, Premium vehicle, and our total is $403. Haven't found a better deal anywhere else, but we are flying into Sanford. An Uber one way is $135ish and we are a party of 5, so we'd have to use the XL service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!