**January 2018 Check-in Thread**

We are in Salem! I think we were in last Octobers thread together...are you from stayton? I remember someone in that thread was. I've been watching flights like a hawk from PDX to LGB. 183 right now. If it drops any lower, I will probably jump on it. Last year we payed 122, 130, and 160. I doubt I will see those prices again, so I would be thrilled with 160. Earlier this summer I was trying to plan an august trip but the flights never went below 300. Sometimes it was up to 400 so we never ended up going.
Good memory! Yes, that was me :)

I bought my tickets about a month ago. I think I ended up at $160-ish on JB. More than in years past, but better than what I used to pay as well. My first few trips (I only started going regularly since 2012) I had a "buy price" of $250. Now, I think, "Yikes, why did I ever pay that to fly through LAX?!?"

We managed to go this last June. Hubs wanted to do the Great Oregon-California Roadtrip of Memories From Your Youth. I'm so not a roadtrip person, so I enjoyed our stops, and the parks the 4 days we were there. I'm looking forward to getting to fly the next several trips :) And getting to stay in a motel near the parks! Haha, never realized how much I appreciated that until we had to drive in from our hotel each day!

We're hoping to come for the Star Wars Race Weekend again this year. If they ever get around to releasing registration for it. We might come regardless since our passes expire in February and my kids have a four day weekend for MLK/End of Term. We booked a hotel but we usually drive in so we're not locked in to anything yet.

Add us to the list, at least at this point! We're looking at January 29th-Feb. 3. So far we have Park Vue Inn and Del Sol Inn reserved. Trying to decide which one to stay at, but leaning towards Park Vue.

It's been 6 years since we last went, it was right before Carsland opened, and so much has changed! I'm hoping everyone can fill me in on what to expect.

It's been 6 years since we last went, it was right before Carsland opened, and so much has changed! I'm hoping everyone can fill me in on what to expect.

Oooo! Oooo! Oooo! Me! Me! Me! This could be fun--the first time I took my daughter was in 2012, a few months before Carsland opened. So let's see how many differences I remember off the top of my head....

At DCA, it seems the changes are most obvious:
  • All those blue and green walls are down!
  • Buena Vista Street (Main Street of DCA) is beautiful! Lots of shopping here.
  • Carthay Circle is delicious. If nothing else, peak your head in and look around. Lots of old pictures of Mr. Disney. It is at the end of Buena Vista Street, like the castle with Main Street, with the DCA hub in front of it. This was all behind walls when I was there in 2012.
  • Condor Flats (Soarin' area) has changed all around (new movie for Soarin', new name and facade for the hamburger place, new "theme" is national park).
  • Hyperion's show of Aladdin has changed to Frozen. Frozen is very different, but very good.
  • Disney Junior has changed to a "dance party," away from the birthday party planning that the show had been.
  • I can't remember what the night-time party the back lot area has right now, if there is one.
  • Muppets theatre is no longer muppets :(
  • Midway Mania has Fast Pass now.
  • Obviously, all of Cars Land will be new to you. Watch the first movie before you go; you'll be startled at how well they constructed that land! Oh, and go right before dusk for a fun experience!
  • Tower of Terror is now Guardians of the Galaxy. Personally, I like it more. Couldn't care less about the themeing, personally, but I enjoy the randomized drops, and the continual bouncing so that you are never sure when you will actually ascend or descend.
  • Oswald is now in DCA! (Oswald was Mr. Disney's first cartoon character, and he sold Oswald to WB when he was down on his luck; Oswald was bought back some years ago.)

At Disneyland....
  • The castle may be more glittery (but I can't remember how much they deglitterfied at the end of the 60th celebration).
  • There's a back walkway (on east side, I think) behind the stores, so if Main Street is packed (say, parade time), they open the gates and let you walk that way. It's wonderful, though nothing much to look at.
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is open again after that horridly long refurbishment!
  • Big Thunder Mountain Trail looks different!
  • Peter Pan was updated.
  • New scenes in Star Tours.
  • No more Captain EO. I think it's the Path of the Jedi now.
  • If you have little Jedis, the training academy has changed. Can't remember how--our Jedi isn't going for his first time until next summer.
  • Innoventions is now Star Wars Launch Bay. It's pretty neat, even though I couldn't care less about Star Wars.
  • New padding on Matterhorn. Hurts more than ever after they refurbed it a few years ago.
  • Matterhorn has Fast Pass.
  • They cut a few smoking areas out. (I think no more smoking on Big Thunder Mtn Trail, and no more by the lagoon, but I could be wrong.)

I have no doubt many other things have changed, but those were the ones I could come up with the quickest :)

I'm 21 weeks away now! Yay! (20 weeks tomorrow, I believe.)

Flight booked. Hotel booked. Time off requested and approved. Bless her heart, my boss doesn't give me any crap when I get back from one vacation and tell her, "Mickey said I have to come back in [whatever] month," and she's really a great boss for it!

Now, it's time for the fun stuff--figuring out what to wear! I've got adorable mermaid leggings, however, I don't have a good shirt to go with it... however, apparently mermaids aren't allowed to ever be cold, because all I'm seeing on Etsy is tank tops and short-sleeved shirts for mermaids. Otherwise, I've got my Star Wars shirts/leggings, Minnie Bows shirt and leggings, and Princess leggings, so I'm almost set!

Thank you so much lalasmama! Wow, I didn't realize just how many changes there have been! I'm excited to spend the next few months relearning all the tricks, adding new tricks, and just figuring out the layout of the parks.

Glad we'll be spending at least 4 days in the parks!

Hello, everyone :banana:!!! My boyfriend and I are taking our first trip to Disneyland January 7th-January 11th for our five-year anniversary. I have been to WDW 14 times so this will be a new experience for the both of us. We are staying in an Airbnb that is about 7 minutes away from Disneyland and are so excited! I'm hoping to surprise him with a breakfast at Steakhouse 55. We are flying in from Minneapolis, MN to LAX but we are both from Green Bay, WI originally.

Thanks for the correction! That link covered it much more in depth--I had only heard a slightly similar story from one of the CMs leading the tour of Carthay Circle.
I'm a big Oswald fan and have lots of Oswald stuff so I'm always ready to share that story when anyone asks who the heck Oswald is...but no one ever asks...:sad:

Solo trip January 9-11. I usually stay at CCI but it's $50-$60 more a night than some others. So either BW Anaheim Inn or Del Sol. Hoping to finalize that in the next month or so.

I'm travelling in October with my 15 y/o son and think this might be the year to upgrade to an AP after we use our MM. So I'm hoping to make my next trip January 28th to February 3rd as a solo trip. I'm trying to hold off booking until we get back from our October trip, but I'm getting antsy!!! ✈️

We've reached September! That means those lucky peeps going at the beginning of the month are down to 4 months until they leave! Yay!

I totally put January trip planning on pause for a bit. Some things had lined up perfectly, and I ended up buying flights down for the end of September/beginning of October for 148. We have passes, and family to stay with, so I couldn't pass up a cheap weekend trip to see all the new Halloween offerings! I've been pretty enamored with outlining this kidless trip because the schedule is actually out! January schedule seems sooooo far away lol

Back to January check in stuff. We just booked our flights. We got them for 168 yesterday. We are satisfied with that. Now that PPH is booked, and flights are bought...its been SO hard not to tell DS. He has been kind of bummed that I am headed down this month, and all I can say is that I PROMISE he will go again some day.

I totally put January trip planning on pause for a bit. Some things had lined up perfectly, and I ended up buying flights down for the end of September/beginning of October for 148. We have passes, and family to stay with, so I couldn't pass up a cheap weekend trip to see all the new Halloween offerings! I've been pretty enamored with outlining this kidless trip because the schedule is actually out! January schedule seems sooooo far away lol

There's something so fun about kid-free trips! I really enjoyed Halloween last year, and thought about going around the same time this year. Only thing that stopped me was the fact that I wouldn't be going again until June 2018, and couldn't handle the thought of waiting 8 months after my June 2017 trip. It's wonderful when a trip lines up perfectly and allows an extra trip!

Back to January check in stuff. We just booked our flights. We got them for 168 yesterday. We are satisfied with that. Now that PPH is booked, and flights are bought...its been SO hard not to tell DS. He has been kind of bummed that I am headed down this month, and all I can say is that I PROMISE he will go again some day.

It's a hard secret to keep! When are you telling him?

Were coming from Down Under & i am so excited to say we will be there January 25th to February 9th :mickeyjum:dumbo: Were staying at HOJOS.....& We have a 10 day Disney pass....Its hard to contain my excitement!!:cool1:
You could say its a Birthday trip because i will be there for my birthday january 29th..

I am thrilled to see the Jan 18 Check in Post too....sometime it seem so far away but its not long until christmas then only 4 weeks from there....

Last edited:

That's awesome! We're going to be there as well September 29-Oct. 3.

Still haven't figured out the January situation. We're thinking over New Year's (yes, we are that crazy!). Can't pass up the Christmas offerings!!

I'll be coming for my second of 4 'Year of Disneyland' trips. My son and I will be there from January 28 - February 8, with a split stay at Desert Inn & Suites and the Disneyland Hotel. I'm so excited for what I hope to be my least crowded trip of the year.

We'll be there Oct 1-6 and Dec 3-8 as well as January.

5 of us in Oct. Just DH and I in Dec. and then the BF birthday trip in Jan. Looking forward to them all!!

Hi All - I am officially planning a January trip too! I have not been to any Disney parks since July 2016 and I told my DH that I had to start planning a trip because I was getting twitchy! Between family trips to DLR and work trips that take me to Orlando and where I have to stay a couple of extra days for WDW, I have not gone more than 12 months to Disney in a long time. I am definitely in withdrawal!

So my kids have a 3 day weekend after MLK day in January that I am seizing as my Disney trip. We will drive down on Thursday 1/25 and do parks Friday - Sunday and drive home the afternoon of 1/28. DH is not a big Disney fan but does humor me. He is on the fence as to if he will join us. Because of that I have told DD (16) and DS (14) that they can each bring a friend as long as the friend covers their park tickets and most meals. AND as long as they tour with mom for part of the time. So we will see how this all sorts out.

I would love to get some great off-season DLH rate but I am not holding my breath. Does anyone know when they start publishing those? Otherwise, I think I will try to get a Harbor Blvd. room. I also like staying at the Magestic Garden hotel, despite their dumb name, but since I use a scooter their shuttle can be kind of a pain. Their rates are good, though, and the rooms so huge. With 4 teens it may be a must.

Happy to be here and planning with you all!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter