*** January 2019 Thread ***

They don't ever sing or draw oodles of attention to birthday folks, do they? We're going shortly after my buddy's birthday, and I was hoping to get him to wear the button, but while he doesn't mind free stuff, his idea of hell is that thing where restaurants sing and bring out a cake. (As in he's straight up told me that if I ever tell restaurant staff it's his birthday and arrange for that--Friendship Over.) I figure that it would just be a little extra pixie dust, and nothing too over-the-top or embarrassing--I want to make his first trip as special as possible, but not uncomfortable.

When we were at WDW on my birthday years ago I got recognition by CM"s but not over the top. When we ate at LeCellier they brought me out a special dessert but again, didn't go over the top. My DH and kids know I'm not one for being sung to and having a big deal made so I think our waiter picked up on that and he just did something nice.
This last trip we were actually there on DS2's 18th birthday, but also celebrating DS1 and both their girlfriends' birthdays since they all fell within a month of the trip. DS2 wore a button the first and last day and the other 3 each picked a day to wear a button. None of them are shy or mind being recognized (their ages are 17-22). Pooh had us sing Happy Birthday to DS2 at Crystal Palace and we had put on the reservation at Tony's that we were celebrating his birthday so they brought him out a special dessert and we sang. Other than that it was just little things from CM's and other guests saying Happy Birthday. I really think CM's do a good job of noticing who wants a big deal made and who doesn't.

139 days to go! With summer unofficially coming to a close and my sons going back to school in a week or so, I feel like time will start to fly by faster now... I can’t wait to check out Copper Creek! My hubby is looking forward to early morning coffee in that beautiful WL lobby, watching the resort wake up. :-)

So...I found a travel agent which is offering me a discount (I've researched the extensively and they are legit) Anyway the discount makes it so we could swing the regular dining plan but I'm not sure it's super worth it. I added two character dining expiriences so someone look this dining plan over and tell me if it's to much or what else I should try for. I may drop the two additional dining expiriences and swing it without the dining plan. The discounts also allow us to have a waterpark or puttputt day and an extra park day the day we leave which will be kids choice and we'll just wing it until 2pm which we'll need to go to the airport

Also...what do you guys do on te day you fly back if you don't have a car rented but you have a later flight home?

Jan 5th
check in at Pop century-Disney springs
Beaches and cream 7:40 pm

Jan 6th
Cap May breakfast 9:40 am
puttputt or waterpark day depending on weather

Jan 7th
Universal day

Jan 8th
Magic Kingdom

Jan 9th
Magic Kingdom
Crystal Palace 8:15 am
Be Our Guest 7:10 pm

Jan 10th
Hollywood Studios
Sci-Fi café 1:45 pm

Jan 11
Epcot
Garden Grill 9:45 am

Jan 12th
wing it park day

The other option is to not do the dining plan and use the money to rent a car instead so we don't have luggage issues on the 12th

First time staying at AoA! 1/10-13th. Quick trip with our college kids. I'm looking forward to going back with our young adult children. It has been several years since they have been to WDW and will surprise them at Christmas with magic bands.

First time staying at AoA! 1/10-13th. Quick trip with our college kids. I'm looking forward to going back with our young adult children. It has been several years since they have been to WDW and will surprise them at Christmas with magic bands.

Welcome @shadowmender! I’ve added you to the roll call. Christmas surprises are awesome!

So...I found a travel agent which is offering me a discount (I've researched the extensively and they are legit) Anyway the discount makes it so we could swing the regular dining plan but I'm not sure it's super worth it. I added two character dining expiriences so someone look this dining plan over and tell me if it's to much or what else I should try for. I may drop the two additional dining expiriences and swing it without the dining plan. The discounts also allow us to have a waterpark or puttputt day and an extra park day the day we leave which will be kids choice and we'll just wing it until 2pm which we'll need to go to the airport

Also...what do you guys do on te day you fly back if you don't have a car rented but you have a later flight home?

Jan 5th

Jan 6th

Jan 7th
Universal day

Jan 8th
Magic Kingdom

Jan 9th
Magic Kingdom

Jan 10th
Hollywood Studios

Jan 11
Epcot

Jan 12th
wing it park day

The other option is to not do the dining plan and use the money to rent a car instead so we don't have luggage issues on the 12th

It really depends on how your traveling party eats... are you big eaters that like a couple of bigger meals a day, or do you like to snack and share stuff? If you’re the former, the plan may be worth it, but probably not if you’re more the latter. You could try one of the calculators that are out there to see if your typical eating habits are more or less than the dining plan costs.

It really depends on how your traveling party eats... are you big eaters that like a couple of bigger meals a day, or do you like to snack and share stuff? If you’re the former, the plan may be worth it, but probably not if you’re more the latter. You could try one of the calculators that are out there to see if your typical eating habits are more or less than the dining plan costs.

Do you have a link to the calculator? I like the idea of the many character meals but it also may be overwhelming. I also felt getting to magic kingdom before park open, DD dressed in her belle dress and able to grab a pic in front of the castle with very few people around would be so wonderful. I know my husband is an eater and can eat a lot, DS can eat but it can be hit and miss...if it’s something he likes he’ll eat it, DD for a 4 yr old is constantly eating but is more of a snack as she goes. I can eat a larger breakfast and I’m set until dinner, perhaps only needing a small snack to hold me over

Jan 5th

Jan 6th

Jan 7th
Universal day

Jan 8th
Magic Kingdom

Jan 9th
Magic Kingdom

Jan 10th
Hollywood Studios

Jan 11
Epcot

Jan 12th
wing it park day

The dining plan can be very well worth it if you plan on eating alot. BOG is now 2 table service credits, so make sure you take that into account. You can take the Magical Express back to the airport.

The dining plan can be very well worth it if you plan on eating alot. BOG is now 2 table service credits, so make sure you take that into account. You can take the Magical Express back to the airport.

I would have planned things much better had I considered the possibility of the dining plan. I know we love to snack around the world at Epcot so those days we usually eat at Sunrise since they have great options and then we snack the rest of the day. With DS turning 12 I think he'd love the ability to order off the adult menu but I feel the kids meals have a suitable amount of food for him that wed otherwise have him order off of that. As it stands now we'd pay the extra for the standard dining plan for the convience of it. I think I'll go ahead and cancel Garden Grove and maybe Crystal Palace as well. With the new numbers it'll be easier to manage budget wise and I think $1600 for us would be more than enough for food. I may also save some more and maybe at times DS can order off the adult menu or we'll eat at the resort for breakfast.

I checked southwest today and our flight went down $15 per person. Then I noticed that the flight I orginally planned to book was down to $111. Considering it was either change our flight and arrive in Orland around 7am or get a "refund" (or a credit toward a future flight within the next year which we probably won't be able to use...) I decided to switch to the early flight with no penalties at all. That was pretty awesome. So we actually get a full day on Jan 4th instead of arriving around midnight on the 5th!

I checked southwest today and our flight went down $15 per person. Then I noticed that the flight I orginally planned to book was down to $111. Considering it was either change our flight and arrive in Orland around 7am or get a "refund" (or a credit toward a future flight within the next year which we probably won't be able to use...) I decided to switch to the early flight with no penalties at all. That was pretty awesome. So we actually get a full day on Jan 4th instead of arriving around midnight on the 5th!

That’s awesome! I love Southwest!

Ooh, I might need to check that myself! I actually could use the "refund" if our flight goes down (I try and fly up to Heroes Con every year. This was my first year skipping, but anything that keeps my overhead down on that is good.)

Ooh, I might need to check that myself! I actually could use the "refund" if our flight goes down (I try and fly up to Heroes Con every year. This was my first year skipping, but anything that keeps my overhead down on that is good.)

I do a search every few days or weeks just to see if I made a mistake purchasing so early. So far it's be ok. Our retun flight has only gone up.

Got booked with the travel agent for Jan 4-12 at Pop Century however my Disney experience can't find the confirmation with my last name. Hopefully my agent will figure it out and get back to me asap

Agent mistyped the confirmation number. It's linked and everything is a-ok. I see all our tickets, I customized our magicbands, all our dining is still the same but I adjusted on of our character breakfasts to an earlier time. So far I'm happy with everything. :D

Last edited:
Hello!!!!!! I am going to Disney in January! Woohoo!

Recently found out I have a work trip to Florida. Since I’ve decided to become an annual pass holder, I’m going to add on a couple of days at my favorite place. And bonus, I’ve talked my best friend into joining me.

Haven’t booked anything yet. My dates are January 12th to January 15th!

I’ve NEVER planned a Disney trip with such short notice. But for just a few days I feel like it should be easy and I’m not letting myself stress.

Look forward to following along with all of your plans!

Hello!!!!!! I am going to Disney in January! Woohoo!

Recently found out I have a work trip to Florida. Since I’ve decided to become an annual pass holder, I’m going to add on a couple of days at my favorite place. And bonus, I’ve talked my best friend into joining me.

Haven’t booked anything yet. My dates are January 12th to January 15th!

I’ve NEVER planned a Disney trip with such short notice. But for just a few days I feel like it should be easy and I’m not letting myself stress.

Look forward to following along with all of your plans!

Welcome, @MamaMaleficent2016! I’ve added you to the roll call with a TBD for your resort. Happy planning!

I don't think I've seen an official January 2019 thread yet! Should we start one? We just booked 1/10/19-1/15/19 (edited from 1/3/19-1/8/19) this weekend! It's our first time renting DVC points and our first time staying at a deluxe! We booked at Copper Creek because my DH fell in love with WL on a previous trip, so we decided to bite the bullet and go for it. We got two studios, one for us and one for our sons. I CANT WAIT! Are there any January friends out there?

Edited to add a Roll Call! Post your DIS name, dates, and resort and I'll add you to the list!

January Travelers:

xlsm — 12/30/18-1/5/19 — Poly
rachel333 -- 12/31/18-1/6/19 -- All Star Sports
absolutmey -- 1/1/19-1/5/19 -- All Star Sports
SaraSpringsIsHome — 1/1/19-1/5/19 — AKL - Kidani

ibelieveinmagic -- 1/1/19-1/6/19 -- VWL
kslo69 -- 1/4/19-1/8/19 -- Poly
imprimouse -- 1/4/19-1/10/19 -- Pop
lookame -- 1/4/19-1/12/19 -- AoA/Pop split stay
GamGam -- 1/5/19-1/11/19 -- POFQ
junebugs -- 1/5/19-1/11/19 -- POFQ
Elenadc -- 1/5/19-1/12/19 -- All Stars
LBlovesM&WDW -- 1/5/19-1/17/19 -- WL
harddrive -- 1/6/19-1/19/19 -- All Star Movies
piglet -- 1/7/19-1/15/19 -- Pop
SuperNEMOfan -- 1/8/19-1/15/19 -- Poly
The10sPro -- 1/9/19-1/14/19 -- Pop
shadowmender — 1/10/19-1/13/19 — AoA
brewhome -- 1/10/19-1/15/19 -- Copper Creek
cinderaimee -- 1/10/19-1/19/19 -- CBR/WL split stay
StaciaRae -- 1/11/19-1/13/19 -- Poly

jjeanms — 1/11/19-1/15/19 — OKW
apdebord -- 1/11/19-1/19/19 -- Poly
MamaMaleficent2016 — 1/12/19-1/15/19 — TBD
Kip Herner -- 1/13/19-1/19/19 -- AKL
Sydney2977 -- 1/13/19-1/19/19 -- BW
peeperino — 1/14/19-1/18/19 — Pop

Dentam — 1/14/19-1/24/19 — AKL, Poly, and WL split stay
Sarah Harmon -- 1/15/19-1/21/19 -- AoA
ScaryTales — 1/18/19-1/23/19 — OKW
crazyventures -- 1/18/19-1/27/19 -- BW/BLT split stay
Tinks#2Fan — 1/18/19-1/30/19 — SSR/OKW split stay
cmwade77 -- 1/18/19-1/31/19 -- AKL - Kidani
littlejessmarie — 1/19/19-1/25/19 — POP/Poly split stay
pens4821 -- 1/19/19-1/26/19 -- All Star Sports
DMCastner — 1/19/19-1/27/19 — OKW

tylerzmommy — 1/19/19-1/27/19 — Fort Wilderness
AngieInOH -- 1/19/19-1/28/19 -- Pop
Milamteer -- 1/21/19-1/27/19 -- TBD
debedo -- 1/21/19-1/28/19 -- Copper Creek/BC split stay
mcorey41 -- 1/22/19-1/29/19 -- POR
HuskyForever -- 1/22/19-1/31/19 -- AKL/BC split stay
WIll C — 1/23/19-1/29/19 — BWV
drdrowsy -- 1/23/19-2/2/19 -- BLT

shairpdrh — 1/24/19-1/28/19 — Poly
musicalgirl2010 -- 1/24/19-2/2/19 -- POR
JessHuis — 1/25/19-1/29/19 — Pop
hogwartsdropout — 1/26/19-1/29/19 — WL
LibrarianPrincess -- 1/25/19-2/8/19 -- CS
fruitcait -- 1/26/19-2/1/19 -- AoA or POR
Ginger R — 1/26/19-2/1/19 — SSR/BLT split stay
happiest place — 1/26/19-2/1/19 — Contemporary
JennyWren — 1/26/19-2/1/19 — All Star Music
Truxi -- 1/26/19-2/1/19 -- All Star Music
Ambehnke — 1/26/19-2/2/19 — TBD
jameyh — 1/26/19-2/2/19 — off-site at Windsor Hills condo
krauh -- 1/26/19-2/2/19 -- AKL
Momfoaj -- 1/26/19-2/2/19 -- Pop/BLT split stay
HollanZoo —1/26/19-2/3/19 — Pop
neitzelt -- 1/26/19-2/3/19 -- Poly
fizzymint -- 1/26/19-2/4/19 -- Poly
disney-inspired -- 1/27/19 - 2/2/19 -- AoA/AKL split stay
andera42 -- 1/27/19-2/2/19 -- Pop
TinkBink -- 1/27/19-2/2/19 -- Poly
galaxygirl76 -- 1/27/19-2/7/19 -- AKL - Jambo/BLT split stay
Laura Decker — 1/28/19-2/1/19 — AKL - Kidani
Zmack -- 1/29/19-2/12/19 -- AKL

ksibrel -- 1/30/19-2/6/19 -- AoA
StageTek -- 1/30/19-2/6/19 -- AoA
Allie_to_you -- 1/11/19 - 1/19/19 -- POR - Royal Guest Room

I am so excited for our January trip this year. Usually we go in February for cheer, but not this year!!! We will be staying at Yacht Club from 1/25-2/1. I think my husband is slowly being driven insane by my planning spreadsheet. Now I'm just impatiently waiting for discounts for 2019 to be released!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!