*** January 2019 Thread ***

I'm itching to book on Southwest... I have rewards points waiting!

June 28th feels so far away!! Im hoping for some nice direct flights from Manchester. I dont mind flying from Boston but my in laws live 10 minutes from Manchester and its a much smaller airport.

We just booked Jetblue, Southwest never has non stops from LAX to Orlando and the prices are usually within $20 a person, even with baggage fees on Jetblue.

Its weird because Southwest never has direct from Boston to Orlando either, but they have direct from Manchester which is about a hour north

So, it is official, we will be going from January 18th through the 31st. We cant book our DVC until the 18th, but probably at Boardwalk.

I'm tempted to book our rooms before the military discount is renewed (if it is) but we'd have to book it as room only and put a lot down since we are booking 4 rooms total.

DECISIONS DECISIONS!

I was wondering if anyone on this thread has been to disney in January before? we have always gone in May and this will be a first January trip for us. Anyone want to share their January experiences with me? Weather? Ride wait lines? I am from Buffalo NY

I was wondering if anyone on this thread has been to disney in January before? we have always gone in May and this will be a first January trip for us. Anyone want to share their January experiences with me? Weather? Ride wait lines? I am from Buffalo NY

@kslo69, hello neighbor - I am from Hamburg, NY! I'm actually sitting in my office in downtown Buffalo as I type this! :-) We went in late January several years ago and had a wonderful trip. The weather was in the mid-high 70's during the day and upper 50's-low 60's at night, so we packed layers and were fine. We still used the pool a couple of days and wore shorts and t-shirts most days, maybe sweatshirts in the morning. I think we put jeans on a couple of nights for fireworks. We did have one early February trip where it was in the 50's-low 60's during the day and we had some rain as well, but again, we layered and were fine. The sun was still bright and it was way warmer than at home, so we were happy! During our January trip, the ride wait times weren't too bad at all, and that was when they still had paper FP and we were able to get all the ones we wanted. I think overall wait times have increased at all times of the year, but with good FP planning, you should still be OK. I'm looking forward to going again in January to get a break from our long winter!

As brewhome stated, be sure to check the forecast. The weather can really fluctuate.

We have went twice in Jan. Each time MLK week. I really can't compare this time of year to any other but I will say it was way more crowded in 2016 than I thought it would be. And my understanding is it's just continuing to get more crowded. Just plan and be sure to get your FP. Once FP are used be sure to get more!

We were there in Jan 2014 for MLK week. We felt it was a little crowded the beginning of the week, but Tues/Wed were very low crowds. They picked back up thurs, and fri was pretty busy. The wait times weren't too bad, but it felt crowded walking around. The weather was variable. We had a couple days with lows in the 30s and highs in the 40's, and a couple days in the 60s. The 60's days were actually the worst. We didn't want to wear jeans/sweatshirts as we knew we'd be warm later, but we were quite COLD in the mornings. We swam every day (although they closed at sundown since it was getting so cold), but getting out was horrible. The water was ok since it was heated.

We then went in Feb 2016. The weather was better, and crowds were less. We are going again MLK week in 2019. We are worried since last year seemed so crowded. We were planning a last week of August trip (have read low crowds), but we really don't think we could deal with the heat. We are trying to plan around a holiday to not miss as much school, and we feel that between cool weather and crowds this will be the best time (don't want to deal with the Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter crowds).

We were there in Jan 2014 for MLK week. We felt it was a little crowded the beginning of the week, but Tues/Wed were very low crowds. They picked back up thurs, and fri was pretty busy. The wait times weren't too bad, but it felt crowded walking around. The weather was variable. We had a couple days with lows in the 30s and highs in the 40's, and a couple days in the 60s. The 60's days were actually the worst. We didn't want to wear jeans/sweatshirts as we knew we'd be warm later, but we were quite COLD in the mornings. We swam every day (although they closed at sundown since it was getting so cold), but getting out was horrible. The water was ok since it was heated.

We then went in Feb 2016. The weather was better, and crowds were less. We are going again MLK week in 2019. We are worried since last year seemed so crowded. We were planning a last week of August trip (have read low crowds), but we really don't think we could deal with the heat. We are trying to plan around a holiday to not miss as much school, and we feel that between cool weather and crowds this will be the best time (don't want to deal with the Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter crowds).

Hi, @pens4821! I'd be happy to add you to the roll call if you want to share your travel dates and resort. 30's.... Brrrrr! But even that would still be warmer than at home for me!

Tentatively hoping to go Jan 19-27 (over MLK day) 8 nights, but may add 1 or 2 more nights. My girls and I have started planning but still need to get DH buy in. :-)

My girls want to stay in the Nemo rooms at AoA. We stayed in Lion King last time. I might try to sway them to Pop, just so we can save a few $$. But I'd also like to stay at Wilderness Lodge.

Must eat places according to my girls: Garden Grill, O'hana, Chef Mickey, CRT (during the fireworks).

Does anyone know when the January schedule will be coming out?

Here's to hoping I can talk DH into it!!

MY HUBBY JUST GAVE ME THE GREEN LIGHT TO START PLANNING!!!! :cool1:

People at work just wouldn't understand if I yelled out "My Hubby just called and said he's looking forward to our Disney vacation" Me: "What, you mean you're OK with it?" Hubby: "yes, I want to make my girls happy!!"

Woot Woot!!! It's a good day!!!

Hi, @pens4821! I'd be happy to add you to the roll call if you want to share your travel dates and resort. 30's.... Brrrrr! But even that would still be warmer than at home for me!

We are going the 19th-26th. Probably staying at All Star Sports.

Yeah, it was cold, but not as cold as at home for us either. We were shocked at how cold it got though.

MY HUBBY JUST GAVE ME THE GREEN LIGHT TO START PLANNING!!!! :cool1:

People at work just wouldn't understand if I yelled out "My Hubby just called and said he's looking forward to our Disney vacation" Me: "What, you mean you're OK with it?" Hubby: "yes, I want to make my girls happy!!"

Woot Woot!!! It's a good day!!!

@AngieInOH, he is a keeper!

We solely do Disney in January except for my 40th birthday last year in December. Let me say, you must overpack as the weather can be as low as 38 degrees and windy or as warm as 83 and sunny. You never know what you are going to get. I don't want to jinx us all but we barely ever get rain so that is a plus. In all of our years going in January, we were able to go to a water park once or twice. Most of the time, the temps hover around the high 60's to low 70's which in my opinion is perfection!

Ride wait times depend on when in the month you go. Obviously, the New Year's holiday week is always crazy busy as is the marathon time. We used to always go around the MLK holiday but crowds started to get a bit higher that week. Now add in the Pro-Bowl Saturday at the end of the month which we found MK to be absolutely crazy! We are actually going towards the end of the month so we miss Pro Bowl Saturday and MLK week. We will see if crowds are better. Certainly January crowds are not Spring Break crowds, but, over the past few years, January has been getting busier and busier.

January is a great time to go to the parks - I hope you enjoy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter