Japan Meets Thread

A couple of questions for those who have traveled to Japan before -

Approx how long after landing does it take to get thru customs & luggage & etc, to the point of being able to leave the airport?

And...how far in advance of a flight back to US do we need to be at the airport?

Starting to do some flights research,..

Thanks.

Approx how long after landing does it take to get thru customs & luggage & etc, to the point of being able to leave the airport?

And...how far in advance of a flight back to US do we need to be at the airport?

Thanks.

It took less than an hour to get from the plane through everything and to the train platform for us. That included a stop at the post office there to pick up my SIM card that I had ordered ahead of time. We were in premium economy and there was a double-decker airbus that had landed at the same time... it might have been a different story were we further back.

The airlines set how far in advance they want you to check in. Delta for example recommended 3 hours and drew the line at 60 minutes prior.

It took less than an hour to get from the plane through everything and to the train platform for us. That included a stop at the post office there to pick up my SIM card that I had ordered ahead of time. We were in premium economy and there was a double-decker airbus that had landed at the same time... it might have been a different story were we further back.

The airlines set how far in advance they want you to check in. Delta for example recommended 3 hours and drew the line at 60 minutes prior.
So you flew Delta to Japan? How was it?

Sayhello

So you flew Delta to Japan? How was it?

Sayhello

We did! It's the only nonstop flight from PDX to NRT... they use an old 767 and its really not a very comfortable plane TBH which is why we decided to pay more for comfort+. I do like when they have the two seat on either side configuration so I don't have to sit with a stranger but you pay double for those seats!

Thanks.

We are in Tokyo right now at the parks following our China ABD trip. Surprisingly it was only about 15 minutes if that. Everything is done in a very efficient manner here. Now, I don’t know if our experience is the norm, or if we just got lucky.

We are in Tokyo right now at the parks following our China ABD trip. Surprisingly it was only about 15 minutes if that. Everything is done in a very efficient manner here. Now, I don’t know if our experience is the norm, or if we just got lucky.
Thanks - enjoy your visit!

I am a lurker on the ABD board (no way I can seriously think about ABD until all my kids are through college/grad school) but I thought I'd let those of you who are headed to Japan and interested in the Ghibli museum know that it's possible to book tickets through the Lawson website, if you start trying at exactly 10 am Japan time when the tickets go on sale for your date (the 10th of the month before). On Saturday night, I was able to book 2 tickets for July. I had to refresh the website a lot (the whole month goes on sale at once, so the server is pretty taxed) and it took about 30 minutes to finally get the purchase complete.

I am a lurker on the ABD board (no way I can seriously think about ABD until all my kids are through college/grad school) but I thought I'd let those of you who are headed to Japan and interested in the Ghibli museum know that it's possible to book tickets through the Lawson website, if you start trying at exactly 10 am Japan time when the tickets go on sale for your date (the 10th of the month before). On Saturday night, I was able to book 2 tickets for July. I had to refresh the website a lot (the whole month goes on sale at once, so the server is pretty taxed) and it took about 30 minutes to finally get the purchase complete.
Thanks! What is the Lawson website?

Sayhello

Let me preface this question/comment by saying that I have the utmost respect for traditions and culture. I am so excited that next year I have the privilege of taking an amazing ABD to Japan with an itinerary that is absolutely astounding. All this being said. For those of us who are in-fact heading to good old Japan... what are you going to do about Western culture that does not mix? And the specific thing I mention is having tattoos. I don't think Disney did their due diligence in finding an Onsen experience that me and my inked bros and sistas can attend/participate in. I am lucky. If I wear a one piece I should be able to be modest and hide my tattoo. However for those with visible ink the ryokan we are set to stay in does not allow tattoos. I have since read doing research on Japan... that there is a spring/onsen that allows tatoos (though again throughout the country this is not the norm) I am by no means complaining... just curious about what others are going to plan on doing. Honestly there are so many Western things that differ from Japan that I feel it will take the full year to figure out what not to do to offend them. I don't want to accidentally or ignorantly be rude.

Let me preface this question/comment by saying that I have the utmost respect for traditions and culture. I am so excited that next year I have the privilege of taking an amazing ABD to Japan with an itinerary that is absolutely astounding. All this being said. For those of us who are in-fact heading to good old Japan... what are you going to do about Western culture that does not mix? And the specific thing I mention is having tattoos. I don't think Disney did their due diligence in finding an Onsen experience that me and my inked bros and sistas can attend/participate in. I am lucky. If I wear a one piece I should be able to be modest and hide my tattoo. However for those with visible ink the ryokan we are set to stay in does not allow tattoos. I have since read doing research on Japan... that there is a spring/onsen that allows tatoos (though again throughout the country this is not the norm) I am by no means complaining... just curious about what others are going to plan on doing. Honestly there are so many Western things that differ from Japan that I feel it will take the full year to figure out what not to do to offend them. I don't want to accidentally or ignorantly be rude.
That's a really interesting question. It never would have occurred to me that something like tattoos would be forbidden. ABD really needs to put that on the website. Have you called ABD and asked them about it? I'd love to hear what their take is on this.

Sayhello

Tattoos are associated with the Japanese mafia in Japan. When we were at Tokyo Disney (2015), tattoos has to be covered in order to use the pools at the Disneyland hotel. I believe they are supposed to be covered at the parks as well. I have heard of Westerners getting into the parks with tattoos (since clearly they aren't part of the Japanese mafia), but there are no guarantees. I am not sure if the ABD trip stays at hotels with private onsets. Then it would be no problem. I would call ABD and ask about this issue. Possibly they have already worked this out with the hotel and Tokyo Disney?

We really did not run into any issues with cultural differences. We found the Japanese people to be very friendly, kind and helpful. The only time we made a faux pas was on the airport limousine bus. We were chatting amongst ourselves because we were so excited to be in Japan. It took us a bit to realize no one else was talking and clearing this was a "quiet" bus. However, this also happened to us in Paris when we didn't realize we were in a "quiet" car, so it can happen anywhere.

I know the ABD is still about a year away, but you may also want to take a look at what you can bring into Japan for medicines. Some prescription medicines and OTC meds are ok provided you have <30 days worth, many prescription medicines require a special permit, and don't bother trying to bring anything classified as a stimulant whether it is prescription or OTC (e.g., claritin). Many of the websites say stimulants are banned and it is a zero tolerance policy. If caught you will be arrested. We are packing now for our trip next week and trying to figure out what is OK (we think 2 epi-pens are OK, not sure about migraine medication). Anyways, not sure if this is on the ABD website, but do a search and there will be more information than you will know what to do with. Hopefully, the vacationistas get some training because I'm sure many will have questions as the trips approach.

In general, tattoos are a no-no in onsens but ok in public baths (sento). What I would do is just follow the rules - if your hotel doesn't allow use of their baths then I wouldn't try. As far as other cultural differences Japan will turn a blind eye. Slang for it is "kuuki yomenai" and means you cannot read the air. Fact of the matter is if you are not born in Japan you will likely never be able to act the way they expect and you will be given a "pass" for all sorts of things - being loud, not eating sushi the right way, poking your food with your chopsticks/standing them up in rice, eating or drinking while walking, etc is all a no-no for instance but really hard for us to know or follow. As a gaijin (foreigner), no one is going to bat an eye at you. Well, they probably will if you try to leave your shoes on past the threshold (or leave your socks anywhere - anything associated with feet is considered dirty. I've heard even brand new socks on a table will make some people shudder.) Be polite, apologetic, etc and you will not make a mockery of anyone. You'll notice nice orderly lines for everything - use them, that sort of thing. :)

I know the ABD is still about a year away, but you may also want to take a look at what you can bring into Japan for medicines. Some prescription medicines and OTC meds are ok provided you have <30 days worth, many prescription medicines require a special permit, and don't bother trying to bring anything classified as a stimulant whether it is prescription or OTC (e.g., claritin). Many of the websites say stimulants are banned and it is a zero tolerance policy. If caught you will be arrested. We are packing now for our trip next week and trying to figure out what is OK (we think 2 epi-pens are OK, not sure about migraine medication). Anyways, not sure if this is on the ABD website, but do a search and there will be more information than you will know what to do with. Hopefully, the vacationistas get some training because I'm sure many will have questions as the trips approach.

AGREED. Pseudoephedrine for example is illegal there - we had to leave ours at home. Conversely, the cold medicine in Japan was really effective for me but includes ingredients that you won't find here. I LOVED the kind I ended up buying at the end of our trip. Too bad its not an option here! I also get migraines and was able to take all my other prescriptions with me.

So I guess this trip is really popular. :) ABD just added 4 more departures!

We are excited to announce that four new departure dates are being added to our 2019 season - June 23, July 7, July 21, and October 6. During the July 7, July 21 and October 6 departures Guests will enjoy accommodations at the Four Seasons Hotel Kyoto during the first 4 nights of the Adventure. Should your clients choose to move their reservation to one of these new departure dates, prevailing rates apply.

If you would like to learn more about the additional adventure dates, please contact one of our Vacationistas beginning on June 13 at 1-877-728-7282. Vacationistas are available weekdays between 8:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. and weekends between 9:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. E.S.T. Space on these trips is limited.

I don't see anything about these new dates on the ABD website yet.

Sayhello

Last edited:
Hmmm...we still haven't booked anything for next summer, but 2 of those dates would work for us. Will have to think about that.
Very interesting! I'm tempting to move to the July 7th if it's the same cost. It's slightly better timing for us. Wonder which hotel is better? I love the Four Seasons!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter