Japan Meets Thread

Very interesting! I'm tempting to move to the July 7th if it's the same cost. It's slightly better timing for us. Wonder which hotel is better? I love the Four Seasons!
Prices are out there now for the new departures! @CaliforniaGirl09 I have a feeling you paid way less than that for your current trip.

Departure Date:
Jul 7, 2019 - Jul 17, 2019
Adult Price $10,749 USD
Child Price $10,209USD
New Date Added!

It's the cheapest of the 4 new departures. I'm assuming waitlisted people got first dibs, and the pricing has gone up accordingly.

Sayhello

ETA: For those interested:

Jun 23, 2019 - Jul 3, 2019
Adult Price $10,949 USD
Child Price $10,399 USD

Jul 21, 2019 - Jul 31, 2019
Adult Price $11,349 USD
Child Price $10,779 USD

Oct 6, 2019 - Oct 16, 2016
Adult Price $11,569 USD
Adult Exclusive

Last edited:
Prices are out there now for the new departures! @CaliforniaGirl09 I have a feeling you paid way less than that for your current trip.

Departure Date:
Adult Price $10,749 USD
Child Price $10,209USD
New Date Added!

It's the cheapest of the 4 new departures. I'm assuming waitlisted people got first dibs, and the pricing has gone up accordingly.

Sayhello

Adult Price $10,949 USD
Child Price $10,399 USD

Adult Price $11,349 USD
Child Price $10,779 USD

Adult Price $11,569 USD
Adult Exclusive
Wow! July 14th it is :) found a site that compared two hotels and Hyatt came out ahead so all good, lol.

Departure Date:
Adult Price $10,749 USD
Child Price $10,209USD
New Date Added!

Sayhello

Adult Price $10,949 USD
Child Price $10,399 USD

Adult Price $11,349 USD
Child Price $10,779 USD

Adult Price $11,569 USD
Adult Exclusive
The email about the new trips did say something about “prevailing prices” so the higher prices than the first day are not surprising.

Wow! July 14th it is :) found a site that compared two hotels and Hyatt came out ahead so all good, lol.
Yep. It's all good. :)

The email about the new trips did say something about “prevailing prices” so the higher prices than the first day are not surprising.
I noticed that. I also think it said that so people wouldn't think they could switch to the new departure dates and keep the same price they'd paid for their existing reservations.

There is a Disney exec (or several) somewhere gleefully rubbing his hands together like Scrooge McDuck. Cha ching!
Funny thing is, ABD folks I'd talked to had said all along they felt they couldn't do Japan correctly at a low enough price for people to actually want to pay it. I guess they know now that's wrong. I just hope it's not a case of everyone taking it the first year, and nobody being left for next year and after...

Sayhello

Yep. It's all good. :)

I noticed that. I also think it said that so people wouldn't think they could switch to the new departure dates and keep the same price they'd paid for their existing reservations.

Funny thing is, ABD folks I'd talked to had said all along they felt they couldn't do Japan correctly at a low enough price for people to actually want to pay it. I guess they know now that's wrong. I just hope it's not a case of everyone taking it the first year, and nobody being left for next year and after...

Sayhello

I think a lot of people (myself included) were dismayed to see the parks weren't included in the tour. Once you all get back and there are trip reports of how they handle post days (maybe they can finagle extra FP or something special as I've heard they do in Paris) that will encourage those people to book. Many already had plans for next year too (again, myself included) leaving no budget for it so soon.

We have signed up for the 6/23/19 trip ... our family of 4 (myself, DH, DS (will be 20) and DD (will be 16 years old). We are super excited that the other dates opened up!

Our only possible wrinkle is that my new job won’t approve vacation that far out ... so hoping for some pixie dust magic so there aren’t any problems with a big 2019 vacation request! Worst case, we may have to change dates or trips but really hoping we can stick with this adventure! Looks amazing!

We are considering the Tokyo Disney add on, pending prices. This trip is a budget stretcher to begin with, and I can’t plan to spend too much more (especially with the airfare as well!).

I think a lot of people (myself included) were dismayed to see the parks weren't included in the tour. Once you all get back and there are trip reports of how they handle post days (maybe they can finagle extra FP or something special as I've heard they do in Paris) that will encourage those people to book. Many already had plans for next year too (again, myself included) leaving no budget for it so soon.

I was disappointed to not see it included as well. I was glad to see it available as an add on that includes more than the package you can book on your own. I understand that the add on packages sold out very quickly too. For those who were wondering what the difference is here they are:

ABD Tokyo Disney Resort 2-Night / 3-Day Package $2,259
Extend your Adventures by Disney Japan vacation with a 2-Night / 3-Day package where you’ll surround yourself in the magic of Tokyo Disney Resort and its 2 theme parks and fantasy-filled accommodations at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.

This package also includes the following per person items:
  • 2 Buffet Breakfasts at Sherwood Garden Restaurant in Tokyo Disneyland Hotel
  • 1 Complimentary Drink Coupon (non-alcoholic)
  • 3-Day Magic Passport ticket (1 park per day for the first 2 days, then Park Hopper access on the 3rd day)
  • 3-Day Resort Monorail Pass
  • FASTPASS (A) - 3 per person (available to hotel Guests only) See important details
  • FASTPASS (D) - 12 per person (available to hotel Guests only) See important details
  • Transfer from The Peninsula Tokyo to Tokyo Disney Resort and Tokyo Disney Resort to Narita International Airport (NRT) or Haneda Airport (HND)

Booking through Tokyo Disney
I picked a few random dates for 2 nights at Tokyo Disney Resort and all of them were in the neighborhood of $1900 ~ $2100 for a standard room. The differences were that instead of 3 Fastpass A and 12 Fastpass D the package comes with 2 Fastpass A and 6 Fastpass D. Transfers to the airport are not included either. Personally, I'd rather have the extra Fastpasses and transfers. Plus, booking as an add on with ABD means I can pay for it with Disney Gift Cards that I get at a discount or for 5 miles on the dollar.

We have signed up for the 6/23/19 trip ... our family of 4 (myself, DH, DS (will be 20) and DD (will be 16 years old). We are super excited that the other dates opened up!

Our only possible wrinkle is that my new job won’t approve vacation that far out ... so hoping for some pixie dust magic so there aren’t any problems with a big 2019 vacation request! Worst case, we may have to change dates or trips but really hoping we can stick with this adventure! Looks amazing!

We are considering the Tokyo Disney add on, pending prices. This trip is a budget stretcher to begin with, and I can’t plan to spend too much more (especially with the airfare as well!).

:welcome: Yup, the airfare will be hard to swallow on a trip that is this expensive and so will the add-on. If you want to learn how to not pay for your airfare and fly on miles and points or mitigate the cost of the trip with some cash back come join us over on the Budget Board thread titled "I love credit card so much." There's a large group of "travel hackers" and we all help one another learn how to accumulate and pay for travel with points and miles. It's a very friendly group so feel free to jump in and ask questions. No need to try and catch up o the 1600+ pages there. :-)

Last edited:

Congrats on being able to book the trip - I’m glad the added dates enabled you to do that. Sending some Disney magic thoughts your way that the vacation request will get approved!

I was disappointed to not see it included as well. I was glad to see it available as an add on that includes more than the package you can book on your own. I understand that the add on packages sold out very quickly too. For those who were wondering what the difference is here they are:

ABD Tokyo Disney Resort 2-Night / 3-Day Package $2,259
Extend your Adventures by Disney Japan vacation with a 2-Night / 3-Day package where you’ll surround yourself in the magic of Tokyo Disney Resort and its 2 theme parks and fantasy-filled accommodations at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel.

This package also includes the following per person items:
  • 2 Buffet Breakfasts at Sherwood Garden Restaurant in Tokyo Disneyland Hotel
  • 1 Complimentary Drink Coupon (non-alcoholic)
  • 3-Day Magic Passport ticket (1 park per day for the first 2 days, then Park Hopper access on the 3rd day)
  • 3-Day Resort Monorail Pass
  • FASTPASS (A) - 3 per person (available to hotel Guests only) See important details
  • FASTPASS (D) - 12 per person (available to hotel Guests only) See important details
  • Transfer from The Peninsula Tokyo to Tokyo Disney Resort and Tokyo Disney Resort to Narita International Airport (NRT) or Haneda Airport (HND)

I picked a few random dates for 2 nights at Tokyo Disney Resort and all of them were in the neighborhood of $1900 ~ $2100 for a standard room. The differences were that instead of 3 Fastpass A and 12 Fastpass D the package comes with 2 Fastpass A and 6 Fastpass D. Transfers to the airport are not included either. Personally, I'd rather have the extra Fastpasses and transfers. Plus, booking as an add on with ABD means I can pay for it with Disney Gift Cards that I get at a discount or for 5 miles on the dollar.
Thank you for this comparison/analysis - we were fortunate to book one of the TDR add-ons. We did it for the convenience; it is good to know the pricing thru AbD is not that far off. From what I’ve been reading I think the extra FPS will be very good to have.

Thank you for this comparison/analysis - we were fortunate to book one of the TDR add-ons. We did it for the convenience; it is good to know the pricing thru AbD is not that far off. From what I’ve been reading I think the extra FPS will be very good to have.

You’re welcome. We just got back from TDR/TDS and I am thrilled that we will be getting the extra Fastpasses! Yes, they will be needed for sure!

Once you all get back and there are trip reports of how they handle post days (
I’ve been thinking about trip reports. I am booked on the first trip, in April. I saw someone post somewhere that they do a trip report as they are traveling, updatiing it each day or two so everything is fresh. I don’t recall if that person is booked on one of the Japan trips.

I’ve not done a trip report yet but am willing to give it a try if folks want to hear about it before they go themselves. I debate between sharing so people know before they go, vs possibly spoiling something for someone who would rather experience the trip without knowning any more than is on the AbD website,

:welcome: Yup, the airfare will be hard to swallow on a trip that is this expensive and so will the add-on. If you want to learn how to not pay for your airfare and fly on miles and points or mitigate the cost of the trip with some cash back come join us over on the Budget Board thread titled "I love credit card so much." There's a large group of "travel hackers" and we all help one another learn how to accumulate and pay for travel with points and miles. It's a very friendly group so feel free to jump in and ask questions. No need to try and catch up o the 1600+ pages there. :-)
Thanks for this too - I will have to check out that thread.

I’ve started to research airfares a bit and accidentally stumbled across something interesting. My DS is in San Francisco area & I am on SoCalif area. The original plan was I’d fly to SF & we’d go together from there. I figured the flights would be about the same. However, one search i inadvertently started with LAX not SF and was surprised at how much cheaper some of the flight options were from LA. So now he may end up coming south Vs me going north for our flights.

Will keep checking options from both departure points.

I’ve been thinking about trip reports. I am booked on the first trip, in April. I saw someone post somewhere that they do a trip report as they are traveling, updatiing it each day or two so everything is fresh. I don’t recall if that person is booked on one of the Japan trips.

I’ve not done a trip report yet but am willing to give it a try if folks want to hear about it before they go themselves. I debate between sharing so people know before they go, vs possibly spoiling something for someone who would rather experience the trip without knowning any more than is on the AbD website,

That’s me that does the day by day play by play trip reports. I think it would be great to see a trip report right away from the first group. I did my very first trip report on my very first ABD and it was well received by everyone here on the DIS. I’m also doing the Japan trip but not until September/October. I would be grateful and I’m sure many others here would too if you did one. As far as spoilers go, I have tended to leave any unexpected surprises on the trip off of my trip reports. That way when others go, it is still a surprise. I think the people who want their trip to remain a complete surprise all the way would just not read the trip report. Those who want to see it will click on the thread. Well you got my vote for please post a trip report!

Definitely want the trip report!!! Please post.

Yes, please, please do a trip report! At least giving the highlights and some of the logistics! I don't know how @calypso726 and @Cousin Orville do it *while* they are on the trip, but it's an amazing thing!

Sayhello

Yes, please, please do a trip report! At least giving the highlights and some of the logistics! I don't know how @calypso726 and @Cousin Orville do it *while* they are on the trip, but it's an amazing thing!

Sayhello

Forego sleep. I get enough sleep when I'm dead :rotfl2: Seriously though, I try to do updates while I'm on a coach or a plane and often finish up when we get back to the hotel before going to sleep.

Another thing that may be different is the ticket being one park per day for the first two days - when I was there last year the tickets I got as a hotel guest didn't have that limitation - I could park hop the whole time. Not that it mattered in the end... we didn't park hop any of the three days! Sure seemed important at the time though...:rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter