Japan Meets Thread

Sounds like a trip report is in my future :tigger:

When it is closer, I’ll ask what sorts of things folks are interested in, so I can try to include them. @sayhello - I’ve got logistics on the list but may need a reminder

@calypso726, I agree - forego sleep! I figure the only way I will get it done before the May trip is if I post as I can along the way. Otherwise it likely wouldn’t get finished until July with other things I’ve got scheduled.

I would happily write a trip report for not only this Adventure, but my London/Paris City trip in 2017... however I can't for the life of me figure out these forums and how to incorporate pictures properly.

I wrote in my journal every night on the trip so I would not forgot the important things. If I ever figure out how I swear I got some good stuff. I feel like a noob I can't even figure out how to update my signature.

Signed- A lurker not by choice lol

I would happily write a trip report for not only this Adventure, but my London/Paris City trip in 2017... however I can't for the life of me figure out these forums and how to incorporate pictures properly.

I wrote in my journal every night on the trip so I would not forgot the important things. If I ever figure out how I swear I got some good stuff. I feel like a noob I can't even figure out how to update my signature.

Signed- A lurker not by choice lol

I'm happy to help you out with this if you like - unless you host pictures elsewhere you want to click 'More Options' (two buttons over from 'Post Reply') and then choose the 'Upload a File' option. The catch is you can only have 10 pics per post or so, and they have to be pretty small to be uploaded directly. When I did a trip report for Tokyo I just made several posts per day since I wanted to include a lot of pictures.

For your sig you go up to where your name is in the top right and that will open a menu with 'signature' there and that will open a place to edit it. Feel free to PM me with more questions if you wanted to work through it! :cutie:

Ok, so I have gotten some more information about Tattoos and how ABD views what I personally find to be an important part of planning a trip to Japan... (which is pretty dismissive of the whole thing). So now I am concerned as someone who has already deposited into this itinerary, that it was never planned to be inclusive for all.

My amazing TA has been in contact with my concerns for days now. She called Tuesday and is just now sending me a response as of today. Obviously anyone who read the Japan itinerary knows we spend 2 nights at a place called Hotel Associa Takayama Resort. There are many concerns I have with this place. One of the major ones being that the more research I did into it, the more complaints about how 'out of the way it is' aka once you are in for the day you are pretty much stuck there. Shuttle services if not sketchy are nonexistent and taking a taxi would be extremely expensive to even get back into civilization as they say. OK this on it's own I guess I was willing to suck it up. But let me put a little more context into this. Going back to what the itinerary states. On the days we stay at this Resort... Onsen Experience is listed both nights. And here is verbatim what is written about that. *Unwind and relax with an Onsen open-air bathing experience on the hotels rooftop which offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountain scenery.*
I don't know about the rest of you, but I choose to travel with Adventures By Disney because I trust that they do the extra research that I may not have the time to do or hell even choose not to do, but in any case this is WHAT we PAY them to do. I did not know what was entailed with a traditional Onsen experience, only that it was listed on the itinerary and since I am a person that is willing to try new things (even those outside my comfort at times) I read it and said sure on itinerary awesome. So then I looked up what it was. And I'm sure most of you that have deposited and are going are now aware of what it is... but here's the problem. I had to look it up. There was no footnote underneath saying... here's what an Onsen Experience is. So in my opinion that's strike number 1. Strike number 2 is the way it is listed on the itinerary. It is listed in what looks like a group activity (which it is not obviously) There was no clear *On Your Own time do this... which they clearly state everywhere else that is on your own time* So getting back to the dismissive response my TA was given and then forwarded to me. Mind you it took 4-5 days to send back these 2 sentences I kid you not. "This activity is a hotel amenity and would be On your Own Time. The hotel currently does not allow guests with tattoos to enter the onsens, but could always change in the future." Strike 3 THEY KNEW this hotel did not allow tattoos and booked it anyways. What's worse, someone even mentioned on this forum earlier that there is a website that literally tells you tattoo friendly areas. So frankly to me this is all completely unacceptable. They didn't plan these trips overnight. They had to do extensive research. And this is such a horribly non-communicated subject that it is literally blowing my mind.

They also sent us bullet points of some 'alleged email' that they claim they send all the guests going on this ABD about Tatoos in general. Here is what they claimed will be sent (because I haven't gotten an email about any of this) "In Japan it is common to see signs saying 'No Tatoos' at Onsens 'hot springs' beaches, public pools, and gyms."

Would have been nice if this was ALL on the website, but hey they got all our deposits right.

Again I do research on my own, but this seems like pretty important things to know.

And here's my case in point. A friend of my patients was just in japan 4 days ago and got kicked out of tons of places due to a small military tattoo on his arm (wearing a t-shirt)… local stores, one of the shrines, some restaurants wouldn't serve them (so for all this oh hey don't worry it's getting better) not everywhere.

I guess this is more a Public Service Announcement too, but I for one feel they should be held accountable for this.

This should have been made known before anyone deposited into this trip period... if ABD knowingly chose to take us to a 'non-friendly accommodation'

Sorry for this rant, but with all this extra work I feel like I have now been doing which was the job we PAID in pre-deposit and PAY ABD to do, its super frustrating.

If anyone has gotten this email they claim to have sent us please let me know.

Since we each have different thoughts, here are some of mine -

I don’t have any problems with the Hotel Associa location, and I see it’s got a 4 on Trip Advisor. I look at it as part of the Japanese experience to have a relaxing, mountains area stay along with the city stays of Kyoto and Tokyo. I don’t think it is intended to be a place for going into town. And, itinerary mentions dinner at the hotel our first evening,

Re the onsen, I didn’t know what that is either, before seeing it on the itinerary and researching it a bit. Looking at the hotel website, since men and women have different days & times for some of those experiences, and since we have full days ahead of each night, it makes sense to me to be there two nights so each can have the opportunity. There are also different options to choose from depending on personal preference.

I’ve looked into other tour companies trips to Japan since this was added to AbD & see many include a similar stay, and do not have any mentions of tattoos in Japan. AbD or not, other companies or on your own, mountains or cities, Japanese cultural and reactions to tattoos will be the same for the most part. I posted about the tattoo friendly info, and the articles said change & acceptance was coming slowly. Each country, including USA, has things that are acceptable or not, or different, from other countries and cultures. I think it is part of the international travel experience to learn and respect the differences.

Someone in another post mentioned about medications & what cannot be brought in to Japan that is sold OTC here in US...something I had not considered and am now researching. I guess I don’t expect AbD to be able to list everything about each country, because circumstances can change and each person’s situation is different. I think travelers have some responsibility to do some preliminary research about the countries and areas they want to visit, and for those that use TAs, the TAs have some responsibility to share known aspects of a destination or ask questions to determine possible impact.

I’m sorry to see it appears you are so unhappy; maybe this is not the Adventure for you. It is too much money to be angry & upset during the trip.

I'm sorry you are so upset. I suspect part of the problem was the "sign up now before they're all gone" aspect of opening this trip. Given time, many people would have looked up what they were getting into. Having lived in Japan, onsens or community baths are a HUGE part of their culture. It should be included. I also know that some of the ABD hotels are out of the way, which is why we canceled our Copenhagen pre-cruise ABD a few years ago. That is one aspect of group travel that is good and bad, the no work/inability to choose your own lodging.

I think some of the tattoo issue may be the fact that ABD execs may have an older generation idea of tattoos than most, and don't think about how many are out there now. I know I see soooo many more than I used to, with some of my 50+ yo friends getting tattoos for the first time. Perhaps the ABD description needs a "if you have a tattoo, please call for details regarding certain activities..."

Come to think of it, I have a large book/brochure from a Japan travel specialty company, and no where did I see anything about tattoos as well. Interesting. It may be one of those things that's not very black and white - size/location can vary and may be more or less easily covered, when not in an onsen.

One last comment about the Hotel Associa Takayama & the onsen experience - I think Disney and AbD have made a very inclusive hotel choice for this part of the adventure. This hotel offers a fully clothed onsen foot bath option that I didn’t see in other descriptions or places I found. The foot bath option provides the opportunity and ability for everyone to participate to some degree - those with physical movement limitations, physical deformities, skin conditions, personal modesty preferences, children, etc, along with those who have tattoos - and enjoy the experience.

There are a couple of other things to consider about the onsen experience. My understanding is that there is generally a male and female onsen, so you will not be together as a family. Also, there are onsens that allow swimsuits, but in the more traditional onsen, you have no clothes. I've got to think that the ABD onsen experience will be one where swimsuits are allowed. The onsen experience that we will be doing with Thomson allows swimsuits, but there is a separate male and female onsen, and tatoos also need to be covered, along with showering before entering the onsen.

It's interesting that none of the newly added dates appear to have sold out yet (nor have the published prices gone up). I'm curious though if someone moved from the September Adults only to one of those dates, because there's now availability for that date. Or I guess someone could have just cancelled.

Sayhello

Ok, so I have gotten some more information about Tattoos and how ABD views what I personally find to be an important part of planning a trip to Japan... (which is pretty dismissive of the whole thing). So now I am concerned as someone who has already deposited into this itinerary, that it was never planned to be inclusive for all.

My amazing TA has been in contact with my concerns for days now. She called Tuesday and is just now sending me a response as of today. Obviously anyone who read the Japan itinerary knows we spend 2 nights at a place called Hotel Associa Takayama Resort. There are many concerns I have with this place. One of the major ones being that the more research I did into it, the more complaints about how 'out of the way it is' aka once you are in for the day you are pretty much stuck there. Shuttle services if not sketchy are nonexistent and taking a taxi would be extremely expensive to even get back into civilization as they say. OK this on it's own I guess I was willing to suck it up. But let me put a little more context into this. Going back to what the itinerary states. On the days we stay at this Resort... Onsen Experience is listed both nights. And here is verbatim what is written about that. *Unwind and relax with an Onsen open-air bathing experience on the hotels rooftop which offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountain scenery.*
I don't know about the rest of you, but I choose to travel with Adventures By Disney because I trust that they do the extra research that I may not have the time to do or hell even choose not to do, but in any case this is WHAT we PAY them to do. I did not know what was entailed with a traditional Onsen experience, only that it was listed on the itinerary and since I am a person that is willing to try new things (even those outside my comfort at times) I read it and said sure on itinerary awesome. So then I looked up what it was. And I'm sure most of you that have deposited and are going are now aware of what it is... but here's the problem. I had to look it up. There was no footnote underneath saying... here's what an Onsen Experience is. So in my opinion that's strike number 1. Strike number 2 is the way it is listed on the itinerary. It is listed in what looks like a group activity (which it is not obviously) There was no clear *On Your Own time do this... which they clearly state everywhere else that is on your own time* So getting back to the dismissive response my TA was given and then forwarded to me. Mind you it took 4-5 days to send back these 2 sentences I kid you not. "This activity is a hotel amenity and would be On your Own Time. The hotel currently does not allow guests with tattoos to enter the onsens, but could always change in the future." Strike 3 THEY KNEW this hotel did not allow tattoos and booked it anyways. What's worse, someone even mentioned on this forum earlier that there is a website that literally tells you tattoo friendly areas. So frankly to me this is all completely unacceptable. They didn't plan these trips overnight. They had to do extensive research. And this is such a horribly non-communicated subject that it is literally blowing my mind.

They also sent us bullet points of some 'alleged email' that they claim they send all the guests going on this ABD about Tatoos in general. Here is what they claimed will be sent (because I haven't gotten an email about any of this) "In Japan it is common to see signs saying 'No Tatoos' at Onsens 'hot springs' beaches, public pools, and gyms."

Would have been nice if this was ALL on the website, but hey they got all our deposits right.

Again I do research on my own, but this seems like pretty important things to know.

And here's my case in point. A friend of my patients was just in japan 4 days ago and got kicked out of tons of places due to a small military tattoo on his arm (wearing a t-shirt)… local stores, one of the shrines, some restaurants wouldn't serve them (so for all this oh hey don't worry it's getting better) not everywhere.

I guess this is more a Public Service Announcement too, but I for one feel they should be held accountable for this.

This should have been made known before anyone deposited into this trip period... if ABD knowingly chose to take us to a 'non-friendly accommodation'

Sorry for this rant, but with all this extra work I feel like I have now been doing which was the job we PAID in pre-deposit and PAY ABD to do, its super frustrating.

If anyone has gotten this email they claim to have sent us please let me know.

First, I agree with you that ABD might want to put it in writing that there is an issue with this activity if you have tattoos. Second though why didn't your friend just cover the tattoo once he knew it was a problem? That would have saved him some misery... when in Rome as they say.

The way it is listed on the site is to point out you're staying at an Onsen would be my guess - "Unwind and relax with an Onsen open-air bathing experience on the hotel’s rooftop which offers panoramic views of the surrounding mountain scenery." The point of these trips is to learn about these activities... some people wont know what an onsen experience is, some people won't know what sumo is, or what it means to make mochi etc. I don't fault them for not explaining in detail what each thing you're going on the adventure to learn about is. (On a side note as long as we're on the topic: these baths are HOT. WAY hotter than you are probably used to. There should be a little nozzle off to the side somewhere with cooler water flowing in - if you are sensitive you can sit nearer to it and have a slightly cooler bath experience.) This ONE thing for that day is in addition to a bunch of planned activities - they are going to entertain you these days. They aren't just dumping you in the countryside for 60 hours... the time you COULD go into the onsen could easily be spent doing other things at the resort - they have other alternative activities listed. Heck, maybe ABD is even planning on "renting" the baths out for an hour or something for all we know at this point. Worse case you go sing karaoke instead.

Again, I agree with you that they could have said something about it and if you honestly think this is going to impact your experience that negatively then it's worth asking for an exception to their 14 day cancellation rule based on the fact you didn't receive their email.

I appreciate all the feedback. I never meant to imply that the majority of the trip will not be a good time, but it does make me think that if they train the guides to have this type of attitude about a small portion of the trip... what happens when the group is out and about? Granted the members of the group will need to be team players and pack accordingly.

It was interesting that someone pointed out they feel ABDs have a more 'traditional attitude towards these trips.' As probably one of the youngest couples that does travel with ABD this is 1000% apparent. It doesn't bother us we make tons of friends no matter the age. But I can also attest that people think we are suuuuper young. Funny story from the London/Paris one... It took about 3-4 days, but we found out for a bit a good portions of the group though we were in our early 20s.

I am also aware that Western travel to Japan is still very new. It's been extremely expensive to travel there and the history of their isolation/closed off views on tourism plays a huge part. So I'm sure that every travel group that tackles Japan has growing pains so to speak. No one is perfect. And no group trip will make everyone 1000% happy (because it's not a solo plan on your own do what you want 24/7 kind of thing) I get that too.
That's why we are fortunate to add pre or post days for those things we must do.

But it's disheartening to hear that not only ABD, but other groups are not for-fronting this information.

It will take many more years for a tradition/bias of this magnitude to get better... change is slow. So I guess the frustration is the lack of presenting to people the reality of the time now (if that makes sense). I don't want to be told a blanket statement of 'it could change or be better.'

As mentioned one or two things that may go wrong won't break a trip. That's just life.

And maybe this is a generation/family concern. However in saying that. There are Onsens that do allow families and bathing suits (as mentioned above) which could have been something Disney did to be more inclusive. In fact its weird to me that Disney of all the groups did not.

As an adult who had only done adult only itineraries concerns about kids/families isn't something we take into account personally when planning (so that's a moot point), but one thing I do notice is how for many activities there is a choice (for those that can't or don't want to handle the material presented)

So I guess another compromise to all of this would have been a choice of this onsen or another friendly one.

And to the person that said in their different trip they were doing a place that allowed bathing suits and a family experience... the hotel we are staying at does not. In fact a family onsen is one of the rarest type of Onsen in Japan according to my research... there are not many that allow the sexes to even be together. So I'd be curious as to how old that itinerary is (how many years they've been doing it) And if that's what they did to work out kinks/be more inclusive since the Onsen is a big traditional culturally in Japan.

I'm still 100% all in to doing my ABD to Japan, maybe this is just something that needs to be communicated better throughout the industry period.

And yes it did not help that Disney had a ton of people jumping at the trip so it made it virtually impossible to do true research. Not an excuse just a fact.

I don't think any of this ruins a trip. (I mean unless you literally can't cover tattoos and are turned away everywhere) Which most have the power to cover and be done with it. I feel for those that don't I really do.

But I do think for the amount of money crossing hands there needs to be a better attitude given towards these concerns.

And the only way to help Disney improve is to offer honest criticism. Because as I always say people aren't mind-readers and problems can't be fixed if they aren't brought to light.

It was interesting that someone pointed out they feel ABDs have a more 'traditional attitude towards these trips.' As probably one of the youngest couples that does travel with ABD this is 1000% apparent. It doesn't bother us we make tons of friends no matter the age. But I can also attest that people think we are suuuuper young. Funny story from the London/Paris one... It took about 3-4 days, but we found out for a bit a good portions of the group though we were in our early 20s.
I think from what you say, you may be young for Adult Only ABD's, but I doubt you're among the youngest couples doing ABD if you're not in your 20's.

As an adult who had only done adult only itineraries concerns about kids/families isn't something we take into account personally when planning (so that's a moot point),
I chuckled a bit about this, because, as a person without visible tattoos, whether tattoos are acceptable where I travel isn't a concern I take into account personally when planning. :)

Sayhello

I appreciate all the feedback. I never meant to imply that the majority of the trip will not be a good time, but it does make me think that if they train the guides to have this type of attitude about a small portion of the trip... what happens when the group is out and about? Granted the members of the group will need to be team players and pack accordingly.

Since you've been on an ABD before I'm sure you know the guides treat every aspect of the trip as very important..! I had the opposite experience really - I felt ABD was horrendously laissez faire about everything until the trip started and the guides blew us away with their attention to detail and how into every single thing they were. I know @sayhello said you may be young for the Adult Only but FWIW my husband and I are young as well, as were a few other couples on our ABD in May. The childless like the travel too! :wave2:

It will take many more years for a tradition/bias of this magnitude to get better... change is slow. So I guess the frustration is the lack of presenting to people the reality of the time now (if that makes sense). I don't want to be told a blanket statement of 'it could change or be better.'

I think its really important to look at that first sentence closer - especially where you juxtapose tradition and bias. It isn't bias to Japanese to not allow tattoos in their onsen - not just traditionally but literally TODAY it is a marker for yakuza. Much less than them tutting about it being inappropriate it would be as if you were saying its unfair that Kenya won't allow you to wear camouflage. Its a part of their current, active culture and reality. Tattoos are still optional (though obviously you already have one so its still different than being able to just take off an article of clothing or not pack it). They put up with us being pushy, loud, dressing inappropriately, asking for forks, asking for gluten free foods or other food substitutions which hasn't been a thing there until recently and is still VERY hit or miss (even vegetarian food), trying to use USD, speaking English, and ignoring a bunch of social faux pas without batting an eye. When they finally do say no, this one thing we really cannot allow for this specific reason, do we really need to be hard headed about it? Can we really not allow them to have separate baths for women and men because its not done HERE? Even though they've done it for forever, is important to their identity, culture, is not a human rights issue and hurts no one? I don't think this would make it "better" at all and I don't want to ask them to change to suit our temporary tourist needs. Bathing suits and family together just sounds like a pool... if you make all these changes to the experience you aren't going to have an onsen anymore. :confused3

Since you've been on an ABD before I'm sure you know the guides treat every aspect of the trip as very important..! I had the opposite experience really - I felt ABD was horrendously laissez faire about everything until the trip started and the guides blew us away with their attention to detail and how into every single thing they were. I know @sayhello said you may be young for the Adult Only but FWIW my husband and I are young as well, as were a few other couples on our ABD in May. The childless like the travel too! :wave2:
Yes, we do! :D And I totally agree about the Guides and how intensely they care! To me, it's a lot like Delta airlines. I *HATE* everything to do with their reservations system, and everything leading up to their flights, but their flights themselves are really nice. The ABD Guides, once we're under their care, are all about the detail. And a lot of the time, you never even know all the details they're dealing with behind the scenes!!

I think its really important to look at that first sentence closer - especially where you juxtapose tradition and bias. It isn't bias to Japanese to not allow tattoos in their onsen - not just traditionally but literally TODAY it is a marker for yakuza. Much less than them tutting about it being inappropriate it would be as if you were saying its unfair that Kenya won't allow you to wear camouflage. Its a part of their current, active culture and reality. Tattoos are still optional (though obviously you already have one so its still different than being able to just take off an article of clothing or not pack it). They put up with us being pushy, loud, dressing inappropriately, asking for forks, asking for gluten free foods or other food substitutions which hasn't been a thing there until recently and is still VERY hit or miss (even vegetarian food), trying to use USD, speaking English, and ignoring a bunch of social faux pas without batting an eye. When they finally do say no, this one thing we really cannot allow for this specific reason, do we really need to be hard headed about it? Can we really not allow them to have separate baths for women and men because its not done HERE? Even though they've done it for forever, is important to their identity, culture, is not a human rights issue and hurts no one? I don't think this would make it "better" at all and I don't want to ask them to change to suit our temporary tourist needs. Bathing suits and family together just sounds like a pool... if you make all these changes to the experience you aren't going to have an onsen anymore. :confused3
This so very, very much!! Thanks for articulating this so clearly!! It's still their culture that we're visiting and learning about, and if we expect them to conform to our ideas of culture, then we just dilute the experience, and ruin things for them. Sure, it's disappointing to not be able to participate in an activity, but if you have to significantly alter it in order to be able to participate, then what are you really experiencing?

Honestly, I won't be participating in the onsen (at least not the true onsen. This foot bath version sounds interesting.) For health reasons, I don't do hot tubs or hot baths at all. In fact, at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, I only intend to soak my feet and calves there. I'll still enjoy myself, but I'm resigned to the fact that I'm not going to be able to experience this fully. No way do I think ABD should strike it from the itinerary because I can't participate. I mean, if the Blue Lagoon was cold and had no minerals in it, I could go...

Sayhello

Aqua- I agree with you 100% about the Onsen tradition. I have no problems with a male/female experience or any problems with being in a birthday suit. I do not believe that any of that needs to change to western views.

Those places in Japan that have made changes/concessions really do so at the loss of that culture. Which is not to say it can not coexist, but it is not our place as foreigners to dictate one way or the other.

I was simply using those that exist as a counter argument to all or nothing. Or in the case of the ABD a compromise. However, if it were up to me I'd choose a tattoo friendly onsen that was a true onsen, because I want to experience it.

I think my use of bias got lost - I do not feel that viewing a tattoo as an assessment of a persons character or intent is a true 'tradition' I get that as humans whether we want to or not we will associate certain colors/symbols/ shapes/whatever as potentially bad/evil/ well even good.

There have been many cases of this with religious items throughout history being tainted into symbols of hate and violence.

I deter to something I learned as a preschooler and I feel that maybe its an innocent view in this world we live in. But in dealing with people one should not judge a book by its cover, rather the story inside.

In researching Japan I like their differences. I like their culture. I like that they are their own people.

It's just a shame that this one bias that do have about tattoos in general is so stringent. And I do hope that in the future or with younger generations they do take a bigger look into the many reasons other cultures participate in the art of the tattoo.

But until my trip I will continue to research and learn... because I don't want to be someone that visits and forces them to politely look away at things. I want to try as best as I can to embrace being there and appreciating their culture for what it is.

Oh and yes... we do Disney Cruise Line no kids as well. We are lucky to be able to afford these trips and I find travel to be fascinating. Or maybe its just my amateur photo taking hobby. Can only do DC so much =D

In fact, at the Blue Lagoon in Iceland, I only intend to soak my feet and calves there. I'll still enjoy myself, but I'm resigned to the fact that I'm not going to be able to experience this fully.
@sayhello - we actually decided to opt out of the Blue Lagoon experience altogether. I know people go and love it, and I'm glad ABD offers it, but it's not for us.

@sayhello - we actually decided to opt out of the Blue Lagoon experience altogether. I know people go and love it, and I'm glad ABD offers it, but it's not for us.
That's good to know. :) I'd like to go and see it, and take photographs, and I hear that the restaurant there (Lava) is excellent. So I may as well check it out & get lunch! But it's good to know I'm not the only one not partaking of the waters! :)

Sayhello

Hi. I just got back from an amazing 3 week trip to Japan with 5 days in Tokyo Disney. We went with Globus because at the time Disney didn't have a trip to Japan. We flew business class from LAX to Narita. The flight was wonderful. The seats were comfortable and the food delicious. The entertainment could have been better. We got a good price on tickets. We paid about $6000 for 2 business class tickets to Tokyo. We also had to book tickets from Philadelphia to LAX which was almost as much and the food was terrible. We came into Tokyo 2 days earlier. Narita airport is amazingly efficient. From the time we got off the plant to exiting the airport with our luggage, it was 15 minutes max. We did come in Sunday evening so that could be the reason. We stayed at the Tokyo Hilton hotel which was centrally located and the restaurants were really good. The next day we took the train to the Ghibli Museum which was a lot of fun. We also took the train to the Ginza district and walked around. The tour started on Wednesday. The tour itself was good but not great. I much preferred our alone time. The breakfast at the Hilton Tokyo was delicious but the rest of the meals were just ok. We stayed at the the Hida Plaza Hotel. The food was terrible but it was centrally located so we were able to walk around the town with little difficulty. We saw MT. Fuji and the day started out rainy but by the time we got there, it was bright sunshine and we got great views. We then went to Kanazawa which was really nice and then on to Kyoto. I loved our trip to Nara deer park. That was amazing. It was soo much fun feeding the deer. We also stayed one night at a ryokan with the onsen. We had a traditional dinner and breakfast. I was in the middle of an ulcerative colitis flare so I really couldn't eat much. I didn't try the onsen as Im kinda uncomfortable about public bathing. On the last day we flew back to Tokyo and headed to Tokyo Disneyland. We stayed at the Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and bought our park tickets once we checked in. Making the hotel reservation was a little difficult because a lot our CC cards didn't work. We were finally successful with an American Express. We made dinner reservations at Magellans and Cannelletto which were delicious. The only issue is that the online reservation system is entirely in Japanese and I had to get someone I know on Instagram to make the reservations for me. Disney Sea was excellent. I highly recommend it. We didn't do any fast passes but the lines moved quickly and unlike here I think they overestimate the waiting time so we were pleasantly surprised. Disneyland has some similar rides but I swear the rides were longer. The food at Disney was good. Breakfast was a buffet and all the restaurants had prix fixe menus. We did soo much shopping in Tokyo and in Disney that we had to ship stuff home. But our packages were waiting for us when we got home. I loved my time in Japan and had a great time in Tokyo Disney but my first love will always be Disney World in Florida. Hope this helps

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter