Jiko vs California Grill

MegMouseketeer

Mouseketeer
My husband and I are planning a trip in Feb of 2021. It will be just the two of us. We are staying one night at the Grand Floridian and 3 nights at Destino Tower Club level. We want to do one really nice dinner. We have already visited the Yachtsman twice on previous trips. I am trying to decide whether we should do California Grill the night we are staying at the Grand Floridian or do Jiko later in the trip. We have never done either of these restaurants. While I would love to visit the CG for the fireworks and view, we are more interested in which has the better food. Thoughts?!

My husband and I are planning a trip in Feb of 2021. It will be just the two of us. We are staying one night at the Grand Floridian and 3 nights at Destino Tower Club level. We want to do one really nice dinner. We have already visited the Yachtsman twice on previous trips. I am trying to decide whether we should do California Grill the night we are staying at the Grand Floridian or do Jiko later in the trip. We have never done either of these restaurants. While I would love to visit the CG for the fireworks and view, we are more interested in which has the better food. Thoughts?!
For what its worth, i've been to Cali Grill several times (before and after refurb) and the last few visits i have been quite disappointed in my food. Although i will say that many do love this place and rave about the food. So maybe its just me.

I'd go with Jiko anyway. :)

For food and service, Jiko is the best. For the view, CG is better.

I like CG brunch but have always been disappointed with dinner there. Jiko is consistently a favorite of ours, we had a delicious meal there just last week.

Jiko served my table raw filet, it was blue 4 fillets redo please

so not a jiko fan. It’s a lovely setting but meh

i vote ff too 🤗

Both are among our favorites.
Maybe we have been lucky, but we have never had a bad meal at either.
I would look at the menus and see which type of food you prefer as they are totally different styles of food.

Both are favourites of ours with a slight preference for Jiko but the menus and atmosphere are very different. I'd choose based on your preference of menu and add into it which is more convenient for you depending on where you're staying at the time you book. I do typically find that Jiko is easier to get ADRs for.

Both are very good, we had the pleasure in eating at BOTH of them this past August and IMHO I say CG is a step above Jiko. Service was better and more attentive, so good we ate at CG twice during our stay. Jiko, did the wine tasking and dinner later in the night, was pleasantly surprised, really good. Never did see the fireworks from the CG but the views were awesome, we had window seats both times......

It has been a few years since this was asked, so I wanted to see if opinions have changed. My husband and I are now wondering the same as the original poster. We will be going to Disney for Christmas. We are staying at AKL. We currently have both restaurants booked for a special night out, but need to choose between the two. When considering food (most important) and atmosphere, which would be your favorite between Jiko and California Grill?

It has been a few years since this was asked, so I wanted to see if opinions have changed. My husband and I are now wondering the same as the original poster. We will be going to Disney for Christmas. We are staying at AKL. We currently have both restaurants booked for a special night out, but need to choose between the two. When considering food (most important) and atmosphere, which would be your favorite between Jiko and California Grill?
We were there 2 weeks ago and dined at both. Both were excellent. We were not at CG during fireworks as it was a party night and fireworks were at 10:30. We still like the CG menu. The pre-fixe doesn't bother us as we always got an appetizer, entree and dessert and wine to pair with it. Their multi level wine pairings are very well done. If your dining habits are different, it may not be worth it for you. Jiko, once again was excellent as always. We had a wonderful server who was very helpful with suggestions and wine recommendations. Loved every choice both of us had. So, to answer your question, I would look at the menu and see which is more appealing to you. Our dining experience was excellent at both as was the food.

Personally, I think they are on par with each other - if you want something a little different in the typical flavor profile - go with Jiko. If you want the fireworks experience and atmosphere - go with California Grill. Otherwise, I haven’t been disappointed with either.

I agree with the above. You won't go wrong with either. Both usually have great service and very good to excellent food.

I'll also throw out there Flying Fish and Topolino's. I'd personally pick both for a nice romantic dinner over both Jiko and CG.

Jiko for us. Had a great meal at CG before they went price fix then went back and wasn’t impressed plus I like the option to maybe have a few appetizers or mix it up and not be boxed into an app, entree and dessert
CG has great views but get to Jiko a little early and see the animals. Ask the server to explain the layout of the restaurant to you it’s beautiful. We also enjoy sitting at the “cooking place” it’s the bar in the restaurant near the wood burning ovens and they make the flatbreads and salads and it’s nice to chat with the people working there.

Since you are staying at AKL, it is so lovely and much less stressful to do whatever you are going to do during the day, freshen up in your room, saunter around and say hello to the animals on the various savannahs, then go get a drink at Victoria Falls and then go to Jiko.

We always ask for a table not in the middle of the room, and let our server know we are not in a hurry. Get an appetizer, and the order your main to space it out.

We just booked for our 3rd visit to Jiko. Since we're not really doing parks this trip we also booked Flying Fish and Narcoossee's and even though not a Signature, Toledo which is one of my favorites. I've never done CG and with the fixed menu, I probably never will.

On my last few trips I've done both and thoroughly enjoyed both. I did the cooking bar at Jiko the last visit and really enjoyed it as the experience was both unique and interesting. You will have a greater variety with the menu at Jiko so that would be a plus. I found the quality of both food, service and atmosphere at each comparable.

Each presents a different choice for experience. Most book CG for the fireworks viewing while enjoying the sights and sounds of Jambo House while waiting for your seating is also quite enjoyable. There is no bad choice here.

I agree with the above. You won't go wrong with either. Both usually have great service and very good to excellent food.

I'll also throw out there Flying Fish and Topolino's. I'd personally pick both for a nice romantic dinner over both Jiko and CG.
Flying Fish is a must do for us as well. I love Topolinos and would do it every trip, my wife was not as big of a fan, so its an every other trip.

Listen we did California grill every single trip back in the day before the reimagining of the place. Ever since then we tried it twice and we tapped out since. And that was a while ago. Now that it is pre fix even more out.

Our tops right now for every trip:
Citricos
Topolino
Flying fish
Jiko
Narcoossee’s
Il Mulino

These have been our most consistent for a few years since before covid.

Agree with Erinch about staying at AKL and going to Victoria Falls lounge and Jiko since you’re already staying at AKL. Enjoy all that the beautiful resort has to offer!
We tried Jiko for the first time in September and it was our favorite restaurant ever!
The wine pairings are really great as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter