JiminyKrikkit WISH Journal

jiminykrikkit

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! I'm new to WISH and ready to get to know everyone. I've recently started Weight Watchers for the maybe 4th time in my life. I do a lot better at stuff like this when I share with others, so I thought a WISH journal might be the place for that.

About me!
  • My name is Kristan
  • I'm 32 years old
  • wife to my high-school sweetheart prom date for almost 8 years (we've been together 15!)
  • momma to our only child...he is about to turn 5!
  • Of course, LOVE Disney. I also love to be creative through art and sewing (I own an online fabric shop!).

me.jpg
The first time I did WW, I hit my goal (I had 25 lbs to lose) and felt better than I ever had. I didn't stick with it and over the years the weight crept back on. I was the heaviest I ever was the day I found out I was pregnant with DS. Luckily the pregnancy weight came off easily (I somehow only gained 20 lbs), but I have struggled to get below where I was before I became pregnant.

The last year or so, I've been pretty lax about food. I tried different things (Whole30 and Paleo, low carb, My Fitness Pal calorie counting, etc etc) but nothing stuck. I just wasn't into it. My weight seemed to level out at about 30 lbs more than I wanted to be. Then I gained a few more pounds and went into the next bracket, and only a few tenths of a point from being considered obese on the BMI chart.

SIDE NOTE
What is up with BMI charts? I guess they don't account for muscle mass. I've always had a lot of muscle (of course I don't look it because I have a lot of fat too). I've always been heavy, even when I was wearing a women's US size 4 and size small t-shirt, I was hovering on the line between normal and overweight. I currently wear a women's US size 10 and size medium t-shirt, but here I am, about to be considered obese. But I digress.

Goals!
  • Ideally I'd like to lose a total of 35 lbs. Realistically I think I'm okay with 25 lbs.
  • I'd like to get to a women's US size 6 in bottoms.
  • Really I just want to be comfortable with myself. I realized the other day I rarely look in the mirror anymore. That makes me sad.
  • I'd also like to be able to get through an hour long gym class without feeling like I'm dying. Goal date: before May 2016 when we take annual beach vacation. I'm not trying to get "bikini ready" or anything, because even if I was a size 0, I don't want to wear a bikini. But I'd like to feel comfortable in my one piece and not feel like I had to have a cover-up on the entire time.

Plan!
  • FOOD The major component of my plan is getting food under control. I'll be doing Weight Watchers. In previous WW experience, I couldn't use all my Activity Points and I couldn't use a ton of Weekly Points either if I wanted to see consistent movement on the scale. I'm going into it this time with that knowledge, but I'm going to experiment as well.
  • EXERCISE I also know from experience, when I exercise a lot, I gain weight. I can't be building muscle that fast, so it must be an over-eating issue. Bottom line is that I'm not going to go all gym rat, but I will do active things like taking walks with my family, regular yoga, and occasional cardio-based gym classes.
  • SUPPORT Another thing I know about myself is that I like to SHARE. Sharing and feedback from others helps to keep me motivated. Hopefully this WISH community will help me with that, but my husband is also so super supportive. I also have a few friends that I'm comfortable discussing this with.

So there's my story. I'm excited to start this journey and hope you all will join me!
Be prepared for some polly-anna cheerleading from me on your respective WISH threads. :cheer2: I believe positive attitudes really make things much easier, and more fun!

A recap of my first week on WW:

Week 1 was great! Most days I didn't go over my daily points. On the days I did, I had some activity points that I swapped out first, and used a handful of weekly points. I planned my meals out ahead of time, which is crucial for me.

Things I'd like to improve from week 1 - checking off more of my healthy checks. I just need to take that dang vitamin! And daily activity, at the very least we can take a walk around the block.

Overall, it was a successful first week and I was down 3.5 lbs because of my efforts.

Today's Menu:
Breakfast (6): Cream of wheat made with 1% milk and splenda, banana <---so filling, almost too much food.
Lunch (4): Leftover tostada from dinner with beans, cheese, lettuce, salsa. Side of grapes.
Dinner (11): Honey Spice Chicken Thighs from Budget Bytes, served with rice and zucchini
Evening Snack (0): Apple slices with cinnamon

This leaves me with 5 points left. Lunch is on the skimpy side, so maybe I'll snack before dinner if I'm hungry. If not, I'll just eat extra dinner :cutie:

Activity goal: It's raining pretty bad here, but it should clear up in a few hours I think. Planning to take a walk with the family after dinner. If not, I have an exercise bike, but I probably will wait until the morning to do that if we don't take a walk.

Non-WW goal: make progress on purging my craft studio/office. It's a mess in there, and has been for a while. I want to make time for that today.

Good luck in achieving your weight loss goals, and WW is a great way to get there as it instills lifestyle changes and is not just a diet, per se.

As for BMI - my doctor told me years ago that it is useless for those who are athletes. The BMI chart assumes "normal" muscle mass, and normal today means almost totally inactive. I lift 4-6 days each week in addition to my running and weigh 183 pounds. My body fat percentage is right at 11. I want to lose another 8 pounds because of BMI incentives at work, but my doctor advises me against it.

Good luck in achieving your weight loss goals, and WW is a great way to get there as it instills lifestyle changes and is not just a diet, per se.

As for BMI - my doctor told me years ago that it is useless for those who are athletes. The BMI chart assumes "normal" muscle mass, and normal today means almost totally inactive. I lift 4-6 days each week in addition to my running and weigh 183 pounds. My body fat percentage is right at 11. I want to lose another 8 pounds because of BMI incentives at work, but my doctor advises me against it.

I was an athlete all through middle school and high school, so that could explain it. I was told by a trainer once in my college years that I have an ideal body type for building muscle and was encouraged to get into body building. I didn't follow that advice because I wasn't interested in that sport. But it explains a lot!

Yesterday was a good day! We had a situation where we would normally have stopped for fast food for dinner, but I stayed motivated and we went home to eat instead. Proud of that!

Today is day 10 on WW and I'm really feeling great. I'm getting to the point now where smaller portions are satisfying. It happened quicker than I expected! I can even see a slight difference in my appearance, must be all the bloaty fluff falling off.

Today's Menu (28 points):

Breakfast (5): 1 scrambled egg on 2 corn tortillas, grapes
Lunch (10): Leftover Honey Spice Chicken Thighs, and rice, banana
Dinner (13): grilled fish, rice pilaf, steamed asparagus, white wine
Evening Snack (0):

Date night tonight! Planned splurge - going over my daily points by 2, maybe more if I have more wine.

Activity goal: It's still raining pretty bad here so no walking. I never did do any activity yesterday, but I'm probably going to do some exercise bike to get the APs for the wine.

Non-WW goal: my goal yesterday was to purge my craft room, but instead I worked on the play room, so I'm fine with that. I might work on it some more today, but my real goal for today is to pamper myself and do an at-home pedicure and face mask.

Hi Kristen, just stopping by your journal to offer my support and encouragement! Your sentence about not wanting to die after gym class resonates with me. Getting my stamina back is a big part of why I started working out more regularly and journaling here too.

Best of luck to you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts