John Lasseter Allegations

Not all white males in positions of power do these kinds of things. Disney also isn't a company you would expect this to happen at so that is why.
I did not say all. What I said is that the majority who do are. Secondly, Disney is a company period. If people do not think that harassment happens at Disney they need to ease up on the Dole Whips. Is it tolerated? I doubt it but if there is no discussion or if people don't speak up, how can Disney or any company stop it.

Why are people shocked? He's a white male in a position of power.

well, I am not shocked something came out about someone at Disney - I don't really see anyone commenting here that they are shocked. I am saddened and disappointed and angered, but not shocked

Though, I am fairly confident there are at least a few white males in power that don't act like this ... to assume all do is not right either

I did not say all. What I said is that the majority who do are. Secondly, Disney is a company period. If people do not think that harassment happens at Disney they need to ease up on the Dole Whips. Is it tolerated? I doubt it but if there is no discussion or if people don't speak up, how can Disney or any company stop it.
I just think people don't expect it as much because Disney is a family company. Lasseter is someone people looked up and thought to be a great guy. I would think people don't look at the Weinstein company like they do Disney (before everything happened).

Agreed, @rteetz and @TheMaxRebo. I do not usually get involved in what I can perceive to potentially become "delicate" discussions here, but I feel I have to in this particular case. I think throwing race into the discussion was totally uncalled for, and besides the point (had zero to do with the issue at hand), and painting with a broad brush on ANY group of people - ANY group - is stereotyping, prejudicial, and is not right. Period.

The fact that you don't think race has anything to do with this topic is part of a much larger problem. Step back and take a moment, it's not about you. Who are the men being called out for these accusations? There is a commonality to this that is undeniable BUT when you (proverbial) are the majority it's easy to say oh well we don't want to talk about race. Charlie Rose, Trump, Harvey Weinstein, CK Lewis, Richard Branson, Kevin Spacey there is a common thread. Not calling it by its name for one's own comfortability doesn't help anyone.

Either way, people continue to say he was really huggy and loving but if you are not a person who is open to that, I'm sure it can be offensive. If he backed off after being told the person didn't like it, I don't see what the issue is but people don't typically step down unless something bigger may be revealed.

The fact that you don't think race has anything to do with this topic is part of a much larger problem. Step back and take a moment, it's not about you. Who are the men being called out for these accusations? There is a commonality to this that is undeniable BUT when you (proverbial) are the majority it's easy to say oh well we don't want to talk about race. Charlie Rose, Trump, Harvey Weinstein, CK Lewis, Richard Branson, Kevin Spacey there is a common thread. Not calling it by its name for one's own comfortability doesn't help anyone.

Either way, people continue to say he was really huggy and loving but if you are not a person who is open to that, I'm sure it can be offensive. If he backed off after being told the person didn't like it, I don't see what the issue is but people don't typically step down unless something bigger may be revealed.
So are you saying only white men do this? I don't see a point about bringing race/color into this. Anyone is capable of doing these horrible things, male or female, black or white, old or young.

This thread is about allegations of John Lasseter head of Disney animation. This thread is not about the rest of Hollywood and what color their skin is.

You could argue that the common variable is that they all get up and brush their teeth in the morning, or perhaps all shop at Safeway..... You can find common themes in any data set, just because there are commonalities among groups doesn't automatically mean it is an important nor the one prevailing variable.

It would be more accurate to 'assume' that the commonality of race in this issue is perhaps more an indication as to prevalence of White miles to actually be in a position of power, as opposed to it being the reason they committed their particular indiscretions (if that is indeed the insinuation). The variable of being White and male may well be a variable that contributes to the situation, but to simply arbitrarily state this is the elephant in the room speaks more about your own perceptions as opposed to the reality of the situation, and that is where 'we' as a society have to be careful. Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar.

White males have absolutely had, and continue to have, a privileged position in society - and that needs to be recognized and understood. But to focus only on that aspect then diminishes the act and can prevent people who are being harassed and abused by people that aren't "white and male" from stepping forward for fear they won't be believed. I used to report to an Asian Female who had people go to HR for how they felt they were treated by her - that shouldn't be minimized or ignored either

If anybody in the original Disney “family” was likely guilty of harrassment, it has to be Donald Duck. Dude hasn’t worn pants for nearly 100 years now.

Our "grand dog" fixed that problem. Now the Donald plush around here has no shirt either. LOL. That little bichon needs therapy!

Sorry, what were we talking about again?

ha

Agreed, @rteetz and @TheMaxRebo. I do not usually get involved in what I can perceive to potentially become "delicate" discussions here, but I feel I have to in this particular case. I think throwing race into the discussion was totally uncalled for, and besides the point (had zero to do with the issue at hand), and painting with a broad brush on ANY group of people - ANY group - is stereotyping, prejudicial, and is not right. Period.
Bravo.

How have we segued from sexist to racist?

For some, perhaps. For myself, I think there's keen awareness that persons who are part of an institutional privilege may conduct themselves in a manner that historically marginalized persons may not. I believe these accusations in which white men, holding positions of significant authority, suddenly "become aware" that they have conducted themselves in a way not initiated nor reciprocated by the other person, speaks to their "obliviousness" to their privilege and misconduct. Not all may agree in the existence of white privilege, but for myself these recent revelations- and the sudden sabbatical for Mr. Lasseter speak directly to consequences of male white privilege. Certainly persons of all backgrounds may engage in misconduct; institutional privilege (whether class, race, gender or otherwise) does not need to be mutually exclusive to exist.

I remain hopeful that Mr. Lasseter will indeed use this time to reflect, and more importantly consider how to influence further awareness within his peer group, as well as use this circumstance to develop contextual understanding in updates to harassment policies.

Thanks DISers for your thoughtfulness in this thread. It is a difficult topic. :lovestruc

For some, perhaps. For myself, I think there's keen awareness that persons who are part of an institutional privilege may conduct themselves in a manner that historically marginalized persons may not. I believe these accusations in which white men, holding positions of significant authority, suddenly "become aware" that they have conducted themselves in a way not initiated nor reciprocated by the other person, speaks to their "obliviousness" to their privilege and misconduct. Not all may agree in the existence of white privilege, but for myself these recent revelations- and the sudden sabbatical for Mr. Lasseter speak directly to consequences of male white privilege. Certainly persons of all backgrounds may engage in misconduct; institutional privilege (whether class, race, gender or otherwise) does not need to be mutually exclusive to exist.

I remain hopeful that Mr. Lasseter will indeed use this time to reflect, and more importantly consider how to influence further awareness within his peer group, as well as use this circumstance to develop contextual understanding in updates to harassment policies.
All of this. In no way am I saying only white men. Things aren’t that black and white. I very clearly recall Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas. Yes, anyone in power can take advantage of others but it’s time we stopped being so naive and really look at what’s been happening. No matter how uncomfortable it makes you.

Last edited:
All of this. In no way am I saying only white men. Things aren’t that black and white. I very clearly recall Anita Hill and Clarence Thomas. Yes, anyone in power can take advantage of others but it’s time we stopped being so naive and really look at what’s been happening. No matter how uncomfortable it makes you.

Of course it makes me uncomfortable - all of this does (I would hope it makes everyone uncomfortable)

And I don't disagree with anything @Tiggerette said - and I even said before that white males have had and still do have privileges they and everyone needs to be aware of that

But you said "are you surprised? He's a white male" - meaning, you find it unsurprising (thus expected) that white males do this. He didn't do what he did because he is a white male, he did it because he is evil/a creep/has issues/whatever ... now, did was he more emboldened by his position and was it harder for the victims to come forward because of that privileged position white males have? Yes, of course - but to imply we shouldn't be surprised he did this because he is a white male goes too far - we should be surprised that anyone does anything like this!

So are you saying only white men do this?

Cough cough...Bill Cosby...cough cough

I wonder how a post about him with something along the lines of "what do you expect, he's a black guy" would have gone over? Of course not being racist I wouldn't make such a post.

As for this not happening at Disney, well, Miramax was a subsidiary of Disney from 1993 until 2010 and Harvey operated that division for 13 of those years. That makes all of the allegations against him between 1993 and 2005 allegations against a Disney studio chief.

Last edited:
But you said "are you surprised? He's a white male" - meaning, you find it unsurprising (thus expected) that white males do this.
Yes, because as a brown female, white males are more likely to cause me harm, so from my POV there is no shock, it's expected. I say this having a white male husband. I'm personally just no longer surprised by anything that happens when it comes to things like this. I suppose it's much less likely for one to not be shocked about certain things when you come from a different POV or position in the world.

Either way, this needs to stop. Women and men should feel safe at work. The top powers need to be diversified and people need to speak up.

Last edited:
Yes, because as a brown female, white males are more likely to cause me harm, so from my POV there is no shock, it's expected. I say this having a white male husband. I'm personally just no longer surprised by anything that happens when it comes to things like this. I suppose it's much likely one would be shocked about to certain things when you come from a different POV.

Either way, this needs to stop. Women and men should feel safe at work. The top powers need to be diversified and people need to speak up.

first, I am sorry that you feel that white males are more likely to cause you harm - that is very disturbing

Second I agree whole hardheadedly with your last line - especially about people feeling more comfortable and empowered to speak up ... even about small things, if there is open communication it can help to avoid situations like this

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter