Joy to the World: an offsite Christmas extravaganza at Disney, Universal & SeaWorld – Dec. 2016 TR

Just catching up, I was looking forward to this bit. The kitchen sink is good fun to share, but there's way too much for 4. Ours looked a slushy mess at the end! I love the Yacht and beach club area, we were there New Years Eve and had so much fun :cool1:

That slushy mess at the end is why I don't think I could ever do the regular Kitchen Sink.....way too many flavours and colours all squashed together to make a very unappetizing mixture as it melts :sick:. At least, with it all being chocolate (in one form or another), the residual melting was consistently coloured. Ugh, that still sounds gross, even as I read it! :scared:

I would guess that they just go ahead without final grades. It's highly unlikely that an IB student won't graduate. They eat sleep and breath A's.

Again, just a guess but the schools in your homeland are probably much smaller than our city schools so they can get grades in sooner. Final report cards don't even get mailed out here until mid July at the earliest. GC's school has 2500 students.

Nope, no graduation for me and my besties. I still don't care that I missed it. Will have to ask my friends if anyone regrets it but I think the answer there is going to be no. I know I got some award for my grades but since I didn't go collect it I don't even remember what it was. I found school to be super boring and I skipped a lot of classes. LOL....I have one of my grade 11 report cards, I skipped 70 some classes that year and still made the honour roll. I was certainly not in the 'in crowd' but I had a huge circle of close friends and we had a GREAT time. The school was very preppy and snotty, which we were not, we were the party crew. The 'in crowd' were the alligator shirt , sock matching, sperry boat shoe wearing snobs.

My favourite nerdy word for your awards......Kudos (and then you snap two times)

The party crew.....ha! I knew it! :teeth:

There is nothing I love more than Disney at Christmas time!!! Ok..well sure there is.. but it's way up there.
Your pictures are fabulous and have me itching to go back for the holidays. Maybe in 2018. Two trips for 2017 is the limit.
Our May trip to Universal was fabulous, thanks for asking! We had a nice relaxing time and Cabana Bay was great as always. We had a great time at Aquatica once again too :). We got home weeks ago and I'm only two months away from our next trip! I've completely slacked on the planning of anything though. We added people recently .. my brother and his lovely girlfriend are coming, and my dd is bringing her boyfriend too (he was so excited to be asked to come along.. it was adorable).

We planned on renting a three bedroom unit at Reunion off SkyAuction, but the day I went to book,the date we needed had been removed from the offer. We waited too long on that one. So I've spent the last week absolutely pouring over options for our larger party.
I landed on Wyndham Cypress Palms. The price is right (two units at $350 a piece) and reviews are good. Your extensive review from your last trip report helped a lot. I used the Buy It Now option on Friday, and haven't been charged or heard back yet. So I am waiting not so patiently for that to be firmed up. If for some reason this option is also a bust, I will book one of the Windsor Hills condos or townhouses that I have short listed. We are covering accommodations for everyone, and these are the options that fit the budget.

So that's my trip planning saga.. now back to your regularly scheduled trip report:sunny:.

I am SO glad that you had such a great spring vacation! And how exciting to see your summer group keep on growing :cool1:.....but the challenges of securing accommodations as numbers increase is indeed a bit of a PITA. I read today that Wyndham Cypress Palms fell through :sad2:. That stinks. If you are considering Silver Lake, @bankr63 might be a good resource as that's where he owns (in addition to his week at SVR). You may want to PM him :thumbsup2. We will all be looking forward to hear which resort you finally settle on!

It surprised me too the first time I saw it!

It does sound totally worth it! One day when we have more people with us I hope to try it.

They need a mini-sink for two :idea:. I guess maybe that's the Mickey Pants sundae at MK? :scratchin The latter, I will add, is still on my Disney bucket list.

So now you've killed me yet again. I LOVE the BC. It's the one resort that I really want to stay at very badly. The price is just stupid so it's probably never going to happen. I won't even consider a night or two that won't cut it for me. I want at least a week.

So there is Kerry, Carrie and Carey.....how can that be possible? I've only known one other in my entire life. It's a Carey convention.....Club Carey.....Careypaloozza

I'm not a fan of split stays (I'm too lazy to spend time packing up and unpacking a second time when I could be having fun at the parks) so I don't blame you there. It's a week at a time or bust for this girl, too.

As for the Kerry/Carey/Carrie trio: you have NO idea how confusing you guys get for us when we're talking Florida stuff over dinner at night :crazy2:. Between the Disboards and Facebook, I'm often referring to something one of you have said or posted ..... which inevitably results in Steve looking bewildered and asking, "which Kerry"? (Carey/Carrie) So, we've nicknamed you all. For example, @greenclan67 is Jellyfish Carrie (since the first time we met her in person, she had just been stung by a man-o-war). Those nicknames help significantly with the Careypalooza :p.

I think based upon that dessert, chocolate is most definitely a food group!!!

And OMG, the Beach Club is beautiful. Some day, when I'm rich and have pockets full of money, we might be able to stay there. :sad2::sad2:

While the BC is super nice, I think I still prefer the Poly's' theming out of all the Deluxes. The Contemporary is a huge no (too 'stark'), and the GF is just too....much. Animal Kingdom Lodge has always looked a little 'dark' to me, but I've never had opportunity to visit there yet.....so I won't make any judgement until I get to see the resort in person. Someday, we'll have to book a meal at Boma just to give us reason to go there.

Awesome update!! Can't wait to hear about the cruise.

Good luck on your new job!

Thank you!! :goodvibes

I am going to try and get the Illuminations Cruise post up by later tonight. If not, tomorrow for sure :thumbsup2.

The party crew.....ha! I knew it! :teeth:
I know....you're shocked right?

As for the Kerry/Carey/Carrie trio: you have NO idea how confusing you guys get for us when we're talking Florida stuff over dinner at night :crazy2:. Between the Disboards and Facebook, I'm often referring to something one of you have said or posted ..... which inevitably results in Steve looking bewildered and asking, "which Kerry"? (Carey/Carrie) So, we've nicknamed you all. For example, @greenclan67 is Jellyfish Carrie (since the first time we met her in person, she had just been stung by a man-o-war). Those nicknames help significantly with the Careypalooza :p.

Curious to know who am I? Alcoholic Carey?

Kerry @dsmom and Carrie @greenclan67 ...we need to link up on Facebook just make to things even more interesting. Who's with me????

While the BC is super nice, I think I still prefer the Poly's' theming out of all the Deluxes. The Contemporary is a huge no (too 'stark'), and the GF is just too....much. Animal Kingdom Lodge has always looked a little 'dark' to me, but I've never had opportunity to visit there yet.....so I won't make any judgement until I get to see the resort in person. Someday, we'll have to book a meal at Boma just to give us reason to go there.
We LOVED Beach club 2 years ago. But we did do split stay (mostly because of cost-even though i got the 35% off Disney summer rate +15% off with orbitz). I wanted to experience a couple different resorts. And while we did like Caribbean Beach, I kinda wished we would have just sucked it up and stayed the week at BC. We moved several times that trip-but with 2 weeks it isn't bad. Planned pool/laundry days when we moved-although I deliberately overlapped the BC and Sabal Palms by a day-didn't want to be "homeless"-the last BC day was Stormalong bay day (and it is different with sun shining and floating in lazy river Gina :)) but we had checked into Sabal the day before-so when we were done at pool we just hopped into car and drove to condo. DH had already moved most stuff over already that morning (including the middle teen, late night at MK means she wanted sleep not pool). So easy to do splits with a car!
Looking forward to Illuminations Cruise! on my bucket list for sure-although I just snagged a 7pm Rose and Crown reservation for our last full day in August-booked it for 5 hoping we get to see the oldest that night (hopefully will be all set and done with Traditions by then!).

I just don't think I would like Animal Kingdom Lodge (like that would ever be an option, but I have thoughts on it anyway). Like you, I think it is just dark. The pictures make is seem like that anyway. And I'm just not sure I would enjoy the animals just grazing outside as I'm sipping my morning Diet Coke. It just seems not right to me. I would like to see the GF though. It seems like it is from an "old Hollywood" kind of era.

Tuesday, December 20th (the conclusion) :santa:

Our captain was a friendly young lady with a gentle, relaxed demeanor; she was so unbelievably sweet that we all instantly liked her :goodvibes. It turns out (as we learned over the course of the next short while) that her full-time job is in the accounting department at Gaylord Palms; her stint as a Disney boat captain is what she does in her leisure time. She enjoyed her job at Disney, and it showed in the way she related to us as guests. She was excited to hear that we had been to Gaylord Palms before, and even happier to learn that we would be visiting there again this trip to take in the ICE! holiday events.

Once we all got settled, our captain went about getting us ready to push off from the dock. As the motor whirred to life, she offered us beverages (water and soft drinks) and snacks from the large basket which featured chips, cheezies, pretzels, brownies, and an assortment of cookies. I think David, the only one of us who hadn’t partaken in the Kitchen Sink, was the only one not to let out an audible groan when the snack basket made its appearance :laughing:.

15823556_10155345132386416_4505641062893763649_n.jpg

We recounted our over-indulgent dinner adventures to our captain, who nodded and smiled knowingly :rolleyes:. We were not the first to roll our bloated post-Beaches-and-Cream tummies onto her boat, and we would not be the last. She encouraged us to help ourselves at our leisure, and steered the pontoon boat out into Crescent Lake :sail:.

DSCF2293_zpszellpebr.jpg

The initial part of the cruise took us in and around the Epcot resorts area; with the lights from each property shining brightly in inky darkness of the December night, it was wonderfully pretty and quietly serene :cloud9:. Our captain chatted away here and there with a few little tidbits of interesting information about the parks and the properties: neat little nuggets of trivia and fun details without overdoing the conversation. We passed the Swan and Dolphin hotels.....and may I say, that fish on the roof looks WAY more like a salmon to me than it does a dolphin? :scratchin

15822887_10155345115281416_54440291109906963_n.jpg

We coasted past the beautiful Boardwalk:

15895144_10155345125791416_658524662871832341_n.jpg

15871574_10155345127546416_8165175403672006695_n.jpg

15825779_10155345134471416_8689808897037823414_n.jpg

……and we chugged past the ESPN Club. That made Steve and I both a little lonely for our sports-lovin’ boy, to be honest. Not only would he have loved this cruise, he would have thought it was cool to see the ESPN Club up close and in person.

15894385_10155345126966416_5177336989152802545_n.jpg

After our tour around the Epcot properties, we began to make our way toward the park. Our captain steered the pontoon into the World Showcase, finally coming to rest near the International Gateway. We were the second or third boat to arrive; after securing the boat in place, several other Disney pontoons pulled up alongside us. Each boat faced the lagoon, while the bridge was immediately behind us. The captain offered us all beverages once again, and this time, we grown-ups all graciously accepted cold bottles of water while David had a can of Coke :drinking1. The view of the lagoon was incredible.

15825761_10155345136476416_4808508238561294680_n.jpg

We were snapping photos with our phones and cameras when the captain asked if we wanted a group shot; of course, we both happily accepted that offer. It was tough to get a good photo with the flash going off in the dark of the night (makes us all blinky and squinty-eyed) but we managed a semi-decent one of us all:

15873535_10155345129846416_7613059859077620941_n.jpg

We were offered light blankets to use if any of us were feeling a little chilly, but we were all pretty comfy in our jackets and sweaters……well, Kerry, Steve and I were, anyway. David still didn’t even don his fleece hoodie, opting to remain in just his light cotton t-shirt. He emphatically repeated, No coat! Not even his buddy Steve could convince him otherwise.

Once we were ‘parked’ and took a few pictures, we didn’t have to wait very long until the show began: by this time, the bridge behind us was jammed with people :crowded: and we felt like VIP’s as we laid back on the soft seats of the boat. The pontoons beside us were alive with excited guests: virtually all of them had a full 10 passengers (plus the driver), and several were decorated for special occasions [we saw at least one birthday and one anniversary]. Everyone…..from the cruise patrons to the day guests on the bridge….grew quiet, though, when audio track began to stream from the speakers and the first of the fireworks, lasers and videos lit up the dark lagoon.

15894579_10155345136491416_4536138948306952011_n.jpg

While Kerry and David are both seasoned Epcot vets, Steve and I had only been to the park once before: WAY back in January 2009 (our very first trip to Florida), and we took a pass on Illuminations on that visit as we had an ADR at a Disney resort which conflicted with the timing. We had seen the fireworks at the Magic Kingdom several times over the years (thanks to the Halloween parties) but we weren’t too sure what to expect from Illuminations. Surely, we both thought, it couldn’t compare with the quality of Wishes.

15826750_10155345135241416_468491535383564970_n.jpg

Man, were we wrong :eek:.

15826691_10155345126491416_8924006318262155323_n.jpg

From the first burst of colour to the final notes of the music, we were captivated. It was, in a word…………mesmerizing :worship:.

15894621_10155345135806416_5215015031260850117_n.jpg

From our place in the boat, we had the most incredible view of the show: we could see perfectly, we could hear perfectly, and we couldn’t take our eyes off the centre of the lagoon. I wanted to steal a look at Steve to see if he, too, was enjoying the presentation as much as I was, but I didn’t want to miss a single second. I struggled with wanting to capture every single moment of the show with my camera and yet wanting to just soak it all in without peering through a lens. I did, at one point, just sit the camera on the seat behind me. I wanted to “feel” the moment because I think the true experience deserved that ::yes::.

15871452_10155345133516416_5654042184737593138_n.jpg

My favourite part of the entire show was the spectacular conclusion for the Christmas season: it radiated peace, love and light, and was simply spectacular to watch :goodvibes.

15871581_10155345127291416_4944808789725358404_n.jpg

I’m generally not one to get wrapped up in the whole “magic” thing, but Disney nailed that feeling with the special seasonal ending. It evoked emotion, and I’m not ashamed to say I had more than one tear spring into my eyes. Of course, those that know me would say I'm a bit of a sap :o.

15873575_10155345130886416_5156036676349988260_n.jpg

I hated to see it end. I really, really did.

15823166_10155345126216416_442302331942344537_n.jpg

Once the show concluded, each boat was untied by its respective captain, and each Illuminations Cruise began their return to the Yacht & Beach Club dock. We were all gushing and chattering with excitement as we coasted along under the moon and the stars: Kerry, David, Steve and I had all loved every second of this super special evening. To have these cool new experiences together, with friends, just embodied everything pure and right about the Christmas season…..

Peace on earth, goodwill to men .

Family .

Friends .

Joy .

Arriving back at the dock, our captain encouraged us to take as many of the snacks and beverages with us that we wished to: perhaps, she suggested, we could enjoy a sweet treat for breakfast in the morning or indulge in a late-night snack back in our villas at our respective resorts. We each handed her a well-earned gratuity, wished her a Merry Christmas, and began to make our way back toward the Beach Club. Rather than take a taxi back to Portofino, we said we would whisk David and Kerry back to their hotel: we didn’t mind the drive, and that would give us all a few extra minutes to hang out with them before bidding each other goodnight.

As we passed by the Yacht Club, we decided to pop into their lobby to check out their Christmas décor…..after being wowed by the chocolate carousel at the Beach Club, I was interested to see how the sister resort compared, and Kerry (bless her heart) was kind enough to indulge my curiosity. We stopped off first at their rest rooms, then headed into the lobby area, which was bustling with people.

15826797_10155345132371416_409854083041130960_n.jpg

While it turned out that the Yacht Club’s displays were not nearly as grand as the Beach Club’s offerings, it was a lovely resort regardless. Super classy but in an elegant way….. “fancy”, but in a completely different way from the “fanciness” of, say, the Grand Floridian. Their Christmas tree was so charming: all decked out in a nautical theme in soft colours that blended perfectly with the resort’s décor :boat:.

15895353_10155345136536416_9030049474669696883_n.jpg

The giant globe was super cool, and Steve’s favourite feature of the lobby.

15823366_10155345137506416_3389990796698906875_n.jpg

Their big feature, though, was a large model train village that was completely encircled by red poinsettias and a white picket fence. While Steve was fascinated by the globe, David was drawn to the train display. My pictures turned out terrible in the low light, so this is the best one I got:

DSCF2339_zps5wevf7i3.jpg

You’ll have to take my word for how charming it was. When it comes to Christmas, I’m a sucker for tradition, and this display just oozed that very sentiment .

We stayed for a bit and watched the train go around and around the little track, then decided it was time to call it a day. We headed to the parking lot to collect the rental SUV, shuttled Kerry and David back to the front door of the Portofino, then returned to our villa at the Grande Vista.

Sleep came easy to both of us :faint:.
Coming up: an unexpected change of plans :sad1: , And, another Disney bucket-list item conquered :banana:. Yee haw! :teeth:

I know....you're shocked right?

Curious to know who am I? Alcoholic Carey?

Kerry @dsmom and Carrie @greenclan67 ...we need to link up on Facebook just make to things even more interesting. Who's with me????

We weren't nearly as creative for you as we should have been. We call you Burlington Carey. Should we rename you to your suggestion? :scratchin

We LOVED Beach club 2 years ago. But we did do split stay (mostly because of cost-even though i got the 35% off Disney summer rate +15% off with orbitz). I wanted to experience a couple different resorts. And while we did like Caribbean Beach, I kinda wished we would have just sucked it up and stayed the week at BC. We moved several times that trip-but with 2 weeks it isn't bad. Planned pool/laundry days when we moved-although I deliberately overlapped the BC and Sabal Palms by a day-didn't want to be "homeless"-the last BC day was Stormalong bay day (and it is different with sun shining and floating in lazy river Gina :)) but we had checked into Sabal the day before-so when we were done at pool we just hopped into car and drove to condo. DH had already moved most stuff over already that morning (including the middle teen, late night at MK means she wanted sleep not pool). So easy to do splits with a car!
Looking forward to Illuminations Cruise! on my bucket list for sure-although I just snagged a 7pm Rose and Crown reservation for our last full day in August-booked it for 5 hoping we get to see the oldest that night (hopefully will be all set and done with Traditions by then!).

I don't mind a split stay for a multi-week trip, either. We did that in October (one week at WCP, one at SVR). For a one-week-or-less trip, though, my lazies kick in and I want to stay put :p.

I'll have to return to the Beach Club and see Stormalong Bay during the daytime at some point. I keep saying I want to do the breakfast at Cape May, so perhaps that will be my opportunity :).

I just don't think I would like Animal Kingdom Lodge (like that would ever be an option, but I have thoughts on it anyway). Like you, I think it is just dark. The pictures make is seem like that anyway. And I'm just not sure I would enjoy the animals just grazing outside as I'm sipping my morning Diet Coke. It just seems not right to me. I would like to see the GF though. It seems like it is from an "old Hollywood" kind of era.

The Grand Floridian feels.....pretentious [to me]. I know that sounds unfair, but it's just TOO fancy and TOO "classy" for my taste. It's so elegant, it lacks a feeling of comfort. I guess I would make a terrible princess, huh? :o

The Wilderness Lodge is also one I want to visit sometime. Now THAT theme is right up my alley. Like Great Wolf Lodge, only on a bigger scale.

They have it at Beaches and Cream too! We had it last year.

No kidding?!? Hmmmm.....might have to go back again then! :teeth:

Jellyfish Carrie eh!! I think I scared Jake for a lifetime of oceanless vacations!!

I don't think he will look at the ocean the same, ever again :lmao:. But then again....neither will I :eek:.

A beautiful update! I love, love, love the Christmas events at Epcot. Just wandering around World Showcase, eating holiday treats and seeing the special entertainment in each country. It has been several years since we got to experience it, and I'm missing it!

We are in the throes of "vacation hangover." We got back on Saturday evening, and DH and I still feel like we have been "beat with a stick" as they say... ;) It's all worth it of course, but I don't feel like I've got my head on quite right just yet. Trying to finagle an end-of summer trip back to Orlando, if my job situation allows.

So sad we missed the cruise and meeting David and his mom. So generous was she about the Party we enjoyed. This year, we're bound again, so I guess now I'll have to book a dessert party for Illuminations, it may be cheaper than renting a boat. Doing the math and buying discounted gift cards every so often. My ADR window is Saturday, and already stressing about it. Seems that morning is one where I'll be with kids that had partied the night before, as my DD is playing in a soccer tournament and we are in a hotel, as far enough away, I'm not driving back and forth, and have a full car, due to other parents that don't want to go. Thankfully, I can use my phone, but ugh, 6am. I'll try to be quiet.

Great pictures, as always.

And while ESPN is cool to look at, the one time we ate there, was not impressed, and the kids have not asked to eat there again since.

I have to agree with you on the Kitchen sink! We've done the Chocolate one twice and the regular one on our first trip in 2012! The chocolate one is much better! But my sons do not like whipped cream!

The cruise you guys did looked amazing! Definitely a bucket list item!

The cruise looks amazing and is one more thing for my Disney bucket list now. If I can ever talk my crew into forgoing Christmas presents and doing a big Disney Christmas trip I will definitely book the cruise. It just looks lovely!

And I did pm @bankr63 with a few Silver Lake questions a few weeks ago, which he graciously entertained. I put our "Buy it Now" request in for the 3 bedroom on SkyAuction yesterday evening. So I am now anxiously awaiting that response :goodvibes. It ends up being $569 all in for a three bedroom that sleeps 10 for our week. Plenty of room for our group of 7. And the location is fantastic. So my fingers are crossed that we will get it.. and like it. The reviews have been very positive. Aftter the 7 nights,my brother and his girlfriend have to leave. So I will be moving somewhere else with my crew of four plus dd's boyfriend. That will be 3 nights over labour day weekend. I'm excited to plan that part.. maybe over to Universal , maybe Volcano Bay, maybe Aquatica.. maybe the beach. Lots of possibilities :goodvibes.

A beautiful update! I love, love, love the Christmas events at Epcot. Just wandering around World Showcase, eating holiday treats and seeing the special entertainment in each country. It has been several years since we got to experience it, and I'm missing it!

We are in the throes of "vacation hangover." We got back on Saturday evening, and DH and I still feel like we have been "beat with a stick" as they say... ;) It's all worth it of course, but I don't feel like I've got my head on quite right just yet. Trying to finagle an end-of summer trip back to Orlando, if my job situation allows.

Ah yes, I know that "vacation hangover" feeling well ::yes::. It takes at least a week to recover from an Orlando trip. Steve and I keep saying we need to plan a week in Florida followed by a week off at home, just to aide in the recuperation process :rotfl:.

Planning an end of summer getaway will definitely get you back in the right frame of mind! Any idea where you might want to stay for that vacation? Its not that far off.....summer goes by so quickly, those August trips can creep up on you super fast!

So sad we missed the cruise and meeting David and his mom. So generous was she about the Party we enjoyed. This year, we're bound again, so I guess now I'll have to book a dessert party for Illuminations, it may be cheaper than renting a boat. Doing the math and buying discounted gift cards every so often. My ADR window is Saturday, and already stressing about it. Seems that morning is one where I'll be with kids that had partied the night before, as my DD is playing in a soccer tournament and we are in a hotel, as far enough away, I'm not driving back and forth, and have a full car, due to other parents that don't want to go. Thankfully, I can use my phone, but ugh, 6am. I'll try to be quiet.

Great pictures, as always.

And while ESPN is cool to look at, the one time we ate there, was not impressed, and the kids have not asked to eat there again since.

We loved the dessert party at MK (for Hallowishes) so I'd bet the Illuminations Dessert Party would be a hit with your kiddos. A great view, comfy seating, sweet treats, and a superb show.......the perfect mix!

I tried to get an ADR for Ohana (dinner.....one of the few Disney meals still on our wish list) for our October week but sadly, I came up empty handed. Fingers crossed you get all the places you want when your window opens on Saturday :thumbsup2. I know I was late to look considering my 180 day point is long since passed, but I figured it was worth a shot. Which restaurant bookings are your must-haves for Christmas?

The cruise sound amazing. The Dolphin is actually named for the dolphin fish. I found a picture for you View attachment 245978. I'm not sure the statue looks much like that fish either though. ;)

Well, who knew? :confused: That explains why it looks more like a salmon than a dolphin!! :rotfl2: You guys are so full of great information.....I learn something on every single report I write.

The cruise was so much fun......we enjoyed it even more than I though we would. While it was pricey (I think its $325 per boat) it was an awesome experience. If you are able to get a full party of 10 people, the per-person price isn't actually too hard to tolerate.

I have to agree with you on the Kitchen sink! We've done the Chocolate one twice and the regular one on our first trip in 2012! The chocolate one is much better! But my sons do not like whipped cream!

The cruise you guys did looked amazing! Definitely a bucket list item!

The regular sink just has way too many ice cream flavours for me [and I think one is mint, which is a total no-go for my taste buds :scared:]. One can only hope that they someday introduce a Caramel Lovers Kitchen Sink......and then I'll be making an ADR for every single night of our trips :laughing:.

The cruise looks amazing. You have the best adventures when you travel.

The cruise was such a special gift from Kerry (@dsmom ) ..... I am forever grateful for her kindness in arranging that night for us! Such a cool experience, and one that we will never forget.

The cruise looks amazing and is one more thing for my Disney bucket list now. If I can ever talk my crew into forgoing Christmas presents and doing a big Disney Christmas trip I will definitely book the cruise. It just looks lovely!

And I did pm @bankr63 with a few Silver Lake questions a few weeks ago, which he graciously entertained. I put our "Buy it Now" request in for the 3 bedroom on SkyAuction yesterday evening. So I am now anxiously awaiting that response :goodvibes. It ends up being $569 all in for a three bedroom that sleeps 10 for our week. Plenty of room for our group of 7. And the location is fantastic. So my fingers are crossed that we will get it.. and like it. The reviews have been very positive. Aftter the 7 nights,my brother and his girlfriend have to leave. So I will be moving somewhere else with my crew of four plus dd's boyfriend. That will be 3 nights over labour day weekend. I'm excited to plan that part.. maybe over to Universal , maybe Volcano Bay, maybe Aquatica.. maybe the beach. Lots of possibilities :goodvibes.

That's awesome news on Silver Lake!! Fingers crossed you get the confirmation you are waiting for sometime soon. I know how stressful it is to have accommodations still unsecured, and for a larger group, that stress is even worse. You got an AMAZING price for a three bedroom :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2. And I have heard great things about the resort......and old classmate of mine swears by it when her family travels to Orlando.

Ah yes, I know that "vacation hangover" feeling well ::yes::. It takes at least a week to recover from an Orlando trip. Steve and I keep saying we need to plan a week in Florida followed by a week off at home, just to aide in the recuperation process :rotfl:.

Planning an end of summer getaway will definitely get you back in the right frame of mind! Any idea where you might want to stay for that vacation? Its not that far off.....summer goes by so quickly, those August trips can creep up on you super fast!

If we do go, it will have to be super cheap. We rented at house in Rolling Hills last week and loved it, but I think we need something way less expensive if we go back. I think I'm Disney-ed out for right now, so I 'm daydreaming about Universal or SeaWorld or something like that. although, I would like to go back and see Pandora at night. We only got to see it in the morning hours, and we didn't get to see Rivers of Light, either. We were just too pooped out to head back there after spending the rest of the day at Epcot. I still dream about taking my girl to Discovery Cove so she can swim with a dolphin :)

Wednesday, December 21st :santa:

We actually managed to sleep in a little bit on this morning: not until noon, of course, but somewhat beyond our usual 6 am wake-up. It was nice to enjoy a lazy, leisurely start: we brewed a pot of coffee, indulged in long showers, and once again caught up on the plethora of messages and emails from the moving company, the cross-border relocation team, and Steve’s office. Our day’s events were mostly evening-based again today: the plans called for dinner at Hoop Dee Doo, a Wishes Cruise from the Fort Wilderness docks, and touring the campground via golf cart rental to see the Christmas decorations at the Fort. Kerry and I had divided and conquered as far as the planning for this night was concerned: she had arranged for the Wishes Cruise while I had booked and paid for the Hoop Dee Doo tickets and the golf cart rental.

Once we thought that they, too, would be up and about (not wanting to check in too early in case they were able to enjoy an extended sleep after being out later the night before), we texted to see how everyone was doing. We hoped to hear that Robert was feeling better and able to join us for the night’s planned activities, especially after missing the rest of our day at SeaWorld *and* both dinner at Beaches & Cream and the Illuminations Cruise. Unfortunately, though, that wasn’t the case….and in fact, the news got even worse :sad:: not only was Robert still not feeling any better, David had fallen ill over the course of the night and had spiked a fever. David has an incredibly sensitive immune system that necessitates extra care and concern, so the exciting plans that Kerry and I had so carefully woven together (which included a Dismeet with @chiamarie , who was set to join us for the Wishes cruise, and @greenclan67 , who was hoping that her daughter was going to be well enough after a day of antibiotics that her family could also come along….you may recall that they missed the Illuminations Cruise due to her eldest being under the weather) completely unraveled right there and then :sad2:. Kerry was gutted :guilty:. We were disappointed, of course, but more sad for Kerry than anything else……we knew how much she was looking forward to this night. But before we could sit around feeling sorry for ourselves, we had some last minute emergency adjustments to make to the plans. Both of us….Kerry from her suite at the Portofino, and me from our villa at the Grande Vista….kicked into high gear.

Kerry called Disney and cancelled the cruise. That had to have broken her heart, and I felt SO badly for her :hug:. They needed to go home a few days before we were scheduled to depart (and that couldn’t be adjusted due to the care needs of her mom) so there wasn’t any time to even rebook for later in the week. So, SO disappointing :sad1:.

Since Kerry was also busy dealing with two sick fellows, I reached out to @chiamarie and @greenclan67 to let them know about the unfortunate turn of events, and I know they both were disappointed with the news, too. We had all been looking forward to a fun and special experience with our friends from the Dis.

I called Disney to see if we could cancel three of the Hoop Dee Doo tickets and the golf cart rental (the latter of which we arranged solely for David’s enjoyment: riding around the campground in a golf cart to see the light displays was HIS big wish-list item for the trip) but unfortunately there was nothing they could help me with by phone. The friendly CM, who was very apologetic, suggested we visit a Guest Services location in person and they would be able to work their magic with the tools available to them there. Thankfully Steve and I had nothing else scheduled to do for the morning, so we gathered our confirmations and made the short drive to Disney Springs. We found a parking space in one of the garages and headed straight to the Guest Services building.

It was busy at the Springs, and SUPER busy at Guest Services :crazy2:. They took our names, the reason for our visit, and offered for us to sit and wait for the next available rep to assist us. We probably waited a half a hour or more before a friendly young woman beckoned us over for more information. We explained the morning’s events to her, and she was sympathetic and understanding. Swinging into high gear, she quickly adjusted our Hoop Dee Doo reservation from a party of 5 to a party of 2, waiving any cancellation fees in a touch of Disney pixie dust. She was certain that somewhere during the balance of the day, a party of 3 would be happy to snag a last-minute reservation for an otherwise sold-out dinner show.

Cancelling the golf cart rental was not nearly so easy :rolleyes1. I had tried calling the rental number 5 or 6 times myself, but couldn’t get through on any attempt. While we had hoped that a CM would have a more direct way of reaching that department, we were wrong…….and I think we waited a full hour or more while the CM tolerantly (well, maybe not so much toward the end :rolleyes:) on hold. Mercifully, she FINALLY reached the sole person working the golf cart rental station at the Fort, and our patience was rewarded with a full cancellation of the charges with no penalty. While it took a total of nearly two hours for us to make the necessary adjustments (and there were a million other ways I would have rather spent that two hour period) we were grateful for Disney’s kindness and understanding.

We were both starving by the time we wrapped things up at Guest Services. The morning’s coffees had long since worn off and we were desperate for a hearty meal…..and honestly, with a heavy dinner of fried chicken and ribs on deck for later that night, we really didn’t want something super greasy or fattening. The Springs were busy enough that we didn’t want to bother with finding a suitable quick service location there, so we opted to head the short jaunt to the Crossroads for a healthy lunch.

DSCF2343_zpswmomnoqh.jpg

(Squinty Steve forgot his sunglasses in the car :cool:)

Sweet Tomatoes is a Florida favourite, and today was the perfect day for that meal. Unlike Disney Springs, Sweet Tomatoes wasn’t yet too busy…..I think we were just a shade ahead of the lunch rush, as by the time we left, it had grown significantly more full inside the restaurant…..and we were able to address our ravenous appetites with fresh, healthy favourites: warm soups, delicious chili, fresh baked breads, and their mouthwatering warm muffins.

Because it was the Christmas season, their menu reflected a few festive holiday features. Nothing that particularly appealed to our finicky palettes (as I have mentioned before, neither of us are overly enamored with the combination of chocolate and mint), but I am sure that they were big hits with many folks.

DSCF2342_zpsuwexvfg5.jpg

We returned to our villa to take care of some domestic duties (specifically, a couple of loads of laundry) before it was time to leave for Fort Wilderness. We quite missed the complimentary mid-week tidy that we always receive at SVR (and have also enjoyed at Wyndham Cypress Palms and Westgate Lakes), most especially for a replenishment of fresh towels: it was probably the biggest strike against the Grande Vista for us when comparing the resort against similar properties. Thankfully, though, we had the necessary time at our disposal to wash clothes and towels, change the garbages, and do a light sweep of the floors so we were able to absorb those extra duties without much disruption. The OCD part of me felt good about having everything all done when we hopped into the rental SUV and made our way to the Fort Wilderness parking lot.

15781575_10155329881151416_8241942865660265598_n.jpg

We arrived early enough at the Fort that we had some time to stroll around before we could check in for our dinner show ADR. The Christmas decorations were super pretty, and the large tree in the Settlement fit perfectly with the Western theming of the resort.

15781172_10155329880716416_2025350634248062355_n.jpg

15726739_10155329881266416_7965614418491911125_n.jpg

It was another spectacular winter’s day, so we enjoyed strolling along the water’s edge and checking out the marina.

15747773_10155329879486416_1305469224680955611_n.jpg

15622193_10155329880621416_1465003997503085003_n.jpg

Steve found himself a tether ball on the beach, and I feared I may not be able to tear him away for dinner. Those that know Steve best are well aware of his tether ball passion: he LOVES this game and takes it as seriously as Canadians take their hockey. We both had a good laugh as he commented “You know, I’ve never really felt like I’ve wanted to stay at Fort Wilderness before, but this changes everything” :rotfl2:. He’s such a goof, my big Steve.

15698361_10155329880121416_587796745736195769_n.jpg

Eventually, though, we saw the Hoop Dee Doo staff set up their little kiosk outside Pioneer Hall, so we headed over to check in.

15726920_10155329878001416_2832222162642551457_n.jpg

Once our reservation was verified, we were invited to head over to the photo area for a set of Photopass pictures. We had been fortunate enough to get in on a Memory Maker share (allowing us to get our Disney pictures from Hoop Dee Doo and Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party for the share price of $21 versus the full $150 cost) so we were happy to hop in the short line. The Photopass staff weren’t overly friendly (definitely no Disney magic there :rolleyes2) but the pictures turned out not too badly nonetheless.

15781449_10155329895566416_128599185714703669_n.jpg

15823630_10155329895636416_5667042826742696804_n.jpg

The holiday borders from Photopass were super cute! :santa:

Immediately thereafter, it was time to head inside. Let the rootin’, tootin’, knee-slappin’, finger-lickin’ fun begin, ya’ll! :teeth:

15727241_10155329877561416_8547202287937212934_n.jpg

OMG! Just read your cruise night! That has moved up to the top of my bucket list. What do you think the chances are of Me and Rich finding someone that needs two extra to join them on July 6th? I would totally change my relaxation schedule to add that to my trip. How fun!

If we do go, it will have to be super cheap. We rented at house in Rolling Hills last week and loved it, but I think we need something way less expensive if we go back. I think I'm Disney-ed out for right now, so I 'm daydreaming about Universal or SeaWorld or something like that. although, I would like to go back and see Pandora at night. We only got to see it in the morning hours, and we didn't get to see Rivers of Light, either. We were just too pooped out to head back there after spending the rest of the day at Epcot. I still dream about taking my girl to Discovery Cove so she can swim with a dolphin :)

SeaWorld sometimes has some amazing hotel rates if you combine your tickets and accommodations in one of their packages. It might be worth a look there, while you are pricing things out. Especially when some of their official hotels offer great one and two bedroom suites. Add in the free breakfast buffets at several of their properties and the free Quick Queue, and it might end up being cheaper than a house rental. Just a thought!

OMG! Just read your cruise night! That has moved up to the top of my bucket list. What do you think the chances are of Me and Rich finding someone that needs two extra to join them on July 6th? I would totally change my relaxation schedule to add that to my trip. How fun!

Well, I did a quick google search and found someone looking to share a boat between July 4th and 13th.......hopefully the 6th would be an option for them!

kadiekaismummi hoping to find someone to share a wishes cruise with, there’s 4 of us 2 adults to kids age 12 & 16, dates between 4th - 13th July please pm me if interested, many thanks happy planning everybody xx

If you want me to PM you the website (its another Disney planning site, not from here on the Dis) let me know!

I think you guys would LOVE it. The girls too. So fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!