July 2019: Our Magical 11 night Iceland and Norway Cruise (Gothenburg + Wrap Up, Update August 18 x 2)

Thank you for this very informative trip report. I’ve been undecided these last few months about whether to keep our reservation for the 2020 version of this itinerary. There are just too many things I want to see/do in Iceland, and I thought a land trip might be better. Also a bit wary of the sea crossing to Iceland being rough.
Over Christmas however we have made the decision to just go for it...full on planning mode has begun.
I will also follow your Greek isles report with interest...I suspect we will be looking at this itinerary for the following year!
Happy to answer any questions you might have!!
Thank you for this very informative trip report. I’ve been undecided these last few months about whether to keep our reservation for the 2020 version of this itinerary. There are just too many things I want to see/do in Iceland, and I thought a land trip might be better. Also a bit wary of the sea crossing to Iceland being rough.
Over Christmas however we have made the decision to just go for it...full on planning mode has begun.
I will also follow your Greek isles report with interest...I suspect we will be looking at this itinerary for the following year!
happy to answer any questions as you do the Iceland planning!!

Hey Ladybug! I'm starting to plan a northern Europe trip in 2021 but I'm torn between 2 options. The first is an ABD to one of those countries (Norway or Iceland), or this cruise to kinda get a taste. Did either of the countries really leave you wanting to stay and see more or do you feel like you got enough by doing the cruise+excursion?

Hey Ladybug! I'm starting to plan a northern Europe trip in 2021 but I'm torn between 2 options. The first is an ABD to one of those countries (Norway or Iceland), or this cruise to kinda get a taste. Did either of the countries really leave you wanting to stay and see more or do you feel like you got enough by doing the cruise+excursion?

I felt like we got a good taste but would love to spend more time in at least Norway once my kiddos are older - there are tons of hikes and less known places to explore at a different time in our lives so I think we will go back. I loved Iceland and we definitely saw a lot in a little bit of time - I looked at the ABD itineraries too and would do either the cruise or the Norway ABD - note that I am a bit biased towards cruising right now because it allows us to see a lot of things and still let the girls have the Disney stuff they love. Would love to know what you decide - I keep thinking we will do the South Africa ABD once I think my younger daughter is ready.

I felt like we got a good taste but would love to spend more time in at least Norway once my kiddos are older - there are tons of hikes and less known places to explore at a different time in our lives so I think we will go back. I loved Iceland and we definitely saw a lot in a little bit of time - I looked at the ABD itineraries too and would do either the cruise or the Norway ABD - note that I am a bit biased towards cruising right now because it allows us to see a lot of things and still let the girls have the Disney stuff they love. Would love to know what you decide - I keep thinking we will do the South Africa ABD once I think my younger daughter is ready.

That's great input! Thank you very much! I've read some trip reports on Iceland and it seemed like quite a bit of long bus rides but I haven't seen too much on Norway. I've got some time to research and mull on it some more since they'll do 2021 itineraries for ABD in May.

I've read great things about the South Africa trip on these boards! There's a lot to see out there and it's hard to choose and plan just 1-2 a year!!

Good Morning Ladybugx87. We just booked this cruise for next year. And I also was thinking of doing Palo on the night we leave Akureyri - I was wondering how the seas were as you departed Iceland. I know its a short day in the port and we usually do Palo 6 to 7 ish, so any info would be appreciated.

Good Morning Ladybugx87. We just booked this cruise for next year. And I also was thinking of doing Palo on the night we leave Akureyri - I was wondering how the seas were as you departed Iceland. I know its a short day in the port and we usually do Palo 6 to 7 ish, so any info would be appreciated.

thats a beautiful night to do Palo. For us, the seas weren’t bad at all that evening. It was a lovely sailout and nice night for dinner.

The seas were bad for us between Kirkwall and Reykjavík.

Thank you for that information. I really enjoyed reading your trip report and getting ideas for ours. Any other suggestions or ideas are appreciated. We are travelling with DH, my nephew, his wife and their 15 and 12 year olds.

Thank you for that information. I really enjoyed reading your trip report and getting ideas for ours. Any other suggestions or ideas are appreciated. We are travelling with DH, my nephew, his wife and their 15 and 12 year olds.
I haven’t checked your itinerary but if you go private tour in Reykjavik, Iceland Go Tours was amazing. And Jewels of the North In Akureyri was definitely a cruise group favorite for most people on cruise.
if you’re doing Kirkwall, go watch the send off from the locals as you leave port.

Just found your TR - thank you for sharing all your details, photos & tips. I'm hoping to do this cruise in 2021 - if I can get DH to agree! We've been to both Iceland and Norway before but would love to have another short visit to each.

Hi Marie, I was wondering if you could give me some advice re Iceland excursions? At the moment I have both golden circle and jewels of the north booked (plus another full day sight seeing in isafjordur- “dynjandi and westfjords”). Do you recommend doing both GC and JOTN? I’m debating changing our Akureyri excursion to whale watching, for a bit of variety, but don’t want to miss out on any of Iceland’s unique offerings.

Hi Marie, I was wondering if you could give me some advice re Iceland excursions? At the moment I have both golden circle and jewels of the north booked (plus another full day sight seeing in isafjordur- “dynjandi and westfjords”). Do you recommend doing both GC and JOTN? I’m debating changing our Akureyri excursion to whale watching, for a bit of variety, but don’t want to miss out on any of Iceland’s unique offerings.
I would do both GC and JOTN - the landscape is dramatically different and we were very glad we did both! JOTN was a favorite across the cruise group.

Hello,
I read your trip report and have a question about your cabin. Was there a tall dresser at the end of the bed? I've seen some connecting cabins with and without the dresser and I haven't been able to get an answer from DCL.

Thank you!

Hello,
I read your trip report and have a question about your cabin. Was there a tall dresser at the end of the bed? I've seen some connecting cabins with and without the dresser and I haven't been able to get an answer from DCL.

Thank you!
I’m 90% sure it did

Do you recall where the shuttle bus left you off in Reykjavik, and how often it ran?
Our itinerary has changed so we now have an overnight and followed by a 2nd (half) day in Reykjavik. There are lots of interesting attractions and I’m trying to work out how much it would be feasible for us to do that day.

I would also like to add how impressed I am by how much running you managed to fit in! I’m due to do a half marathon the weekend after we return home, so am taking inspiration from you that it is possible to fit the miles in when on a cruise!

Do you recall where the shuttle bus left you off in Reykjavik, and how often it ran?
Our itinerary has changed so we now have an overnight and followed by a 2nd (half) day in Reykjavik. There are lots of interesting attractions and I’m trying to work out how much it would be feasible for us to do that day.

I would also like to add how impressed I am by how much running you managed to fit in! I’m due to do a half marathon the weekend after we return home, so am taking inspiration from you that it is possible to fit the miles in when on a cruise!
I don’t recall the exact location of drop off but it was easy to walk the main road that goes uphill to the church if that makes sense.

On running, my husband is very disciplined so that helps me!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!