• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

July 4th - Sparklers on Balcony?

JKLLady

Mouseketeer
My 10 yr. old DS wants to pick up some sparklers when we stop at Albertson's for groceries. Last year we said no, because we didn't know if it would be allowed.
Has anyone celebrated the 4th with sparklers on their balcony, and was Disney OK with it?:wizard:

I should think since they burn at pretty high temps that Disney would consider them a fire hazard. And the smell of that phosphorus wouldn't be too nice for your neighbors.

Ask them when you check in. My hunch is that Disney will have a problem as will your neighbors if they are out on their balcony or have their door open.

HBC

People always think that sparklers look so harmless, when in reality they actually burning metal and burn extremely hot. How about some NYE noisemakers??

All fireworks, even sparklers are illegal in NJ. They weren't when I was DS's age & we always used them in the backyard under Dad's supervision. We usually put them into a coffee can full of sand before lighting.
DS just wants to experience what Mom & Dad grew up with. We'd only allow him to use one or two under parental supervision if we did it & would buy some type of protective glove (silicone oven mitt maybe) to use.
We're staying at BWV; do you think we could use them down by the canal to MGM?

All fireworks, even sparklers are illegal in NJ. They weren't when I was DS's age & we always used them in the backyard under Dad's supervision. We usually put them into a coffee can full of sand before lighting.
DS just wants to experience what Mom & Dad grew up with. We'd only allow him to use one or two under parental supervision if we did it & would buy some type of protective glove (silicone oven mitt maybe) to use.
We're staying at BWV; do you think we could use them down by the canal to MGM?

I'd bet they are illegal at WDW unless you are part of the official crew performing the fireworks shows at the parks.

A sparkler would burn right through a silicone oven mitt. I think they burn somewhere around 1500 degress. I'll check that with NFPA, though, and change it if it's wrong.

NFPA.org said:
Joseph Wright, MD, MPH, from the American Academy of Pediatrics, who works at Children's National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., says that the Fourth of July weekend poses for he and the emergency room "the busiest weekend of the year." In particular, he said, sparklers, which burn in excess of 1,000ºF (538ºC), will injure many children under the age of five. In fact, he said, about half of the 1,500 people injured by sparklers in 2002 were children younger than five years old.

Watch any of the fantastic fireworks displays at WDW instead.

I used sparklers as a kid. They were illegal. It's illegal to transport more than 6 cans of hairspray without placarding as flammable. Parental discretion goes a long way. I remember holding the sparkler in my hand. The sparks would occasionaly touch skin - but I don't recall any real pain. I'll have to go buy some. In another state, and risk getting arrested for transporting illegal substances over state lines.

But - if I am a heroin addict, I can get free needles. Go figure. Janis

I understand people's objection to the use on the balcony & quite honestly had forgotten about the smell. I also understand that they can be dangerous in the wrong hands & when used by someone too young. However, they are legal in Florida, thery'e sold in the grocery store & my DS is 10, not 5, and actually listens to his parents. We don't plan on bringing any home to NJ, just using a couple in Florida, where again, they are legal.
We would either use them in the sand on the beach by the BC or in the dirt by the canal, so they would not be a fire hazard, and DS would not touch them, just watch under our supervision.
We had not even decided if we would say yes, just wanted to know if anyone knew if Disney allowed this. It's our fifth year of being there on July 4th, and we have attended the fireworks at one or more of the parks every year, and will do so again this year.
I guess I'll just call Disney & ask!

Poor old SSR has had to many pipe burst and sprinkler heads to set off, for you to set the sprinkler head off on the balcony.

Btw, when you set off a sprinker head, you get covered in a black grease, almost like you have been tarred. The the firemen know who set it off.

I understand people's objection to the use on the balcony & quite honestly had forgotten about the smell. I also understand that they can be dangerous in the wrong hands & when used by someone too young. However, they are legal in Florida, thery'e sold in the grocery store & my DS is 10, not 5, and actually listens to his parents. We don't plan on bringing any home to NJ, just using a couple in Florida, where again, they are legal.
We would either use them in the sand on the beach by the BC or in the dirt by the canal, so they would not be a fire hazard, and DS would not touch them, just watch under our supervision.
We had not even decided if we would say yes, just wanted to know if anyone knew if Disney allowed this. It's our fifth year of being there on July 4th, and we have attended the fireworks at one or more of the parks every year, and will do so again this year.
I guess I'll just call Disney & ask!

If you really want to give him the experience why not go off property somewhere like to the beach at one coast or the other. Maybe you could light them off in the Albertson's parking lot or a local park where there may be others doing the same thing. While you and your child may be responsible not everyone is and while you would clean up after yourself many would just leave their dead sparklers in the sand or on the grass where they can pose a danger to someone who might step on them or have a lawn mower pick them up and shoot a piece through the air. We had them as children too and one of the favorite things was to throw them up as the last little bit burned. Fortunately we never hit anyone. Calling Disney is definitely your best option.

I think I'd do a pre-Disney 4th of July celebration at home the night before your trip to get you all in the mood. Light sparklers, get streamers, Disney character paper plates and other fun stuff. Hope you have a great trip,

I think the OP should call the resort directly and ask. Perhaps they have a "safe area" for sparklers. I doubt it, as that may involve liability for injury, but the OP would have a definitive answer one way or the other.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter