Dismeet in the Smokies 2021! Y'all Come!

Choosing a name for our upcoming trip!

• Dismeet in the Smokies 2021

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Rocky Top Dismeet 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Pigeon Forge Dismeet 2021

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Dosmeet in the Mountains 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dis Mountain Meet 2021

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Country Bear Vacation Hoedown 2021

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Definitely download the alltrails app. We found some great hiking that way. Though there was so many storms on the mountain we had to save some for later.

No, no! Storms are good. If you survive the lightning the waterfalls are SOOOOO much better with the rain.

Explain that to my wife who does not agree. She mentioned something about me being able to light up her life, but not like that.

Explain that to my wife who does not agree. She mentioned something about me being able to light up her life, but not like that.

Dude! I was way back on the other side of Laurel Falls one day going back deep on the trail to get to some of the old growth trees (which are really cool I might add!) and I was in an area where you really couldn't tell about any approaching weather until it was too late. That storm was about a 30 minute HEAVY pour with lightning going off all over the place. I managed to get under a rock overhang barely big enough for me to fit and stayed semi-dry. Anyway, when it was over I headed back but the funny thing about the trail, it literally crossed Laurel Falls. Wellllll, when I got close to the falls I knew I was in trouble because you could hear them a long ways before you were supposed to. That thing was booming! You couldn't get across. I was the one guy sitting on the other side by myself while several folks were on the other side (the correct side) of the falls. They were yelling some things at me but I couldn't hear. It took it several hours to get decreased enough that I could get across down below the falls on some of the bigger rocks.

I got those pics in a shoebox somewhere in the closet. This was before the digital cameras.

We hiked Laurel falls 8 hours after a big storm and it was going really well and loud. The kids loved it, but the one I wanted to do Abrams falls, but the storms kept us out of that one.

I was really surprised how often there was an EAS for the area thunderstorms for counties near or including GSMP.

I am here in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg now, leaving Monday morning. If anyone would like a pic of a particular site just let me know. We rode over the other day. This is a really nice campground with nice level concrete sites and the tree cover is actually pretty good. Either cul-de-sac would be good for a gathering (large area away from campground traffic). As some have stated, not a large campground so if we are not blocked together, it would be just a short stroll to the puzzle site.
Just a couple of general pics.

I just spoke with the park. For me, I need to make my reservation for a cabin 12/12/2020. I have marked by calendar. It is 6 months on your check out time. I believe Bama Ed stated that. Jets70, thank you for the pictures. Wish I was able to bring the camper, but out of the question. Be safe & enjoy.

Before I begin, may I say, I have followed the Fort Wilderness disboards for many years, and I had always hoped to one day attend a dismeet. But, the group tended to meet in Disney, during the school year, while I was teaching. And, then, several years ago I retired, and when you all began planning a Disney get together for this past October, and off shoot get togethers in Pigeon Forge and the Lake George area, I was thrilled. I could be the Queen of Get Togethers. I could attend all three! Heck, I could even actually cook (or find a pretty good looking Costco dish to bring). And, then COVID hit and there was no way in H E double hockey sticks that we were traveling anywhere outside of our local area for 2020. So, when you all began talking about a Pigeon Forge Dismeet for 2021, I starting feeling pangs of excitement again. And, I am considering making a reservation for the Dismeet campground in hopes that we could come. BUT, there is no vaccine yet, and I am guessing we won't all be vaccinated (assuming people decide to get vaccinated) unitl the end of 2021. Now, and, please, please, please, just wondering-are the rest of you not as worried as people in my neck of the woods-we live in northeast Pennsylvania (outside of Philadelphia) about COVID? Or when you are at the dismeets do you super social distance? Because I am not sure that 2021 is firming up to be any more COVID free than 2020 was. But, I would love to attend an event and finally put faces to names.

Spud,

We would love to have you at the next meet. And I appreciate your concern about Covid. For the most part, the gatherings have allowed the opportunity for people to distance appropriately. The Fort required masks if you were off your site. Everyone has their own comfort level and we respected everyone's preference.

As for a vaccine, nothing is promised, but I work at a very large academic medical center affiliated with one of the top research medical schools in the country. Today we went over the plans for distributing an FDA approved vaccine, when it comes available. Healthcare workers with risk factors would be in the first batch, but we were told it is likely there will be an approved vaccine before the end of the year. It will obviously take time to distribute across the population, but public health departments and healthcare organizations have been planning for this since the Summer. I doubt everyone that wants the vaccine will have it by June next year, but if you are in a high risk group, it is possible.

j

@Teamubr Same level of information I been getting from my old colleagues from my previous job. We have reservations for the beach and Disney with the hopes this is correct and good. Even knowing better ways to treat it from 6 months ago is an improvement. We are eventually going to get a handle on this virus one way or another.

@cruising spud Don't give up hope, at at the same time decide what is your acceptable level of risk. We cannot hide from it forever, though until there are very effective treatments we should all be aware of our exposure. Having had those close to me have both mild to severe cases we are limiting our exposure. So far the only trips out of the house is in the RV to full hookup sites and we do not use public bathhouses at all. I was going to try to change our plans, but he family was pretty clear that the beach is how we are celebrating making it through this very odd school year for both my Wife the teacher and our kids (9th and 5th grade.)

Before I begin, may I say, I have followed the Fort Wilderness disboards for many years, and I had always hoped to one day attend a dismeet. But, the group tended to meet in Disney, during the school year, while I was teaching. And, then, several years ago I retired, and when you all began planning a Disney get together for this past October, and off shoot get togethers in Pigeon Forge and the Lake George area, I was thrilled. I could be the Queen of Get Togethers. I could attend all three! Heck, I could even actually cook (or find a pretty good looking Costco dish to bring). And, then COVID hit and there was no way in H E double hockey sticks that we were traveling anywhere outside of our local area for 2020. So, when you all began talking about a Pigeon Forge Dismeet for 2021, I starting feeling pangs of excitement again. And, I am considering making a reservation for the Dismeet campground in hopes that we could come. BUT, there is no vaccine yet, and I am guessing we won't all be vaccinated (assuming people decide to get vaccinated) unitl the end of 2021. Now, and, please, please, please, just wondering-are the rest of you not as worried as people in my neck of the woods-we live in northeast Pennsylvania (outside of Philadelphia) about COVID? Or when you are at the dismeets do you super social distance? Because I am not sure that 2021 is firming up to be any more COVID free than 2020 was. But, I would love to attend an event and finally put faces to names.

Being from PA and having lived in the Pocono's, nothing near Philly is in the Northeast of PA. But we would love to have you.

@cruising spud i feel your pain. Everyone has to make their own choices about what they feel comfortable with. Personally I agree that we won't have everyone vaccinated by the end of 2021. I am not in the medical field but i have found little hope in a vaccine by the end of the year. Nice to hear @Teamubr thinks it is possible. I hope you do make a reservation, but do look at the cancelation policy and just be prepared to cancel if that is what you feel you need to do. I will say when I got back from our dismeet in oct I was supposed to visit my folks the next day and told them no i was not coming. i did go the following week once i had not gotten sick. While I felt ok going to the meet and being around people while outside. I did not have that same comfort to just visit my (elderly) parents without at least waiting a week before i went and saw them.

Would love to have you Spud.

Each of us had their own comfort levels at FW. We followed their rules off the sites and those that wanted more distance were well respected.

I work in an ED, covid all day and night is always what we're wondering. The emergency management folks we talk to have no faith in a vaccine this year. Early next year certainly possible. Let's be honest, it could go either way by then.

If you are considering my advice is book a site and cancel if you change your mind. This way your foot in door.

Being from PA and having lived in the Pocono's, nothing near Philly is in the Northeast of PA. But we would love to have you.

@PaHunter You are completely correct. I meant the southeast.

@cruising spud Don't give up hope, at at the same time decide what is your acceptable level of risk. We cannot hide from it forever, though until there are very effective treatments we should all be aware of our exposure. Having had those close to me have both mild to severe cases we are limiting our exposure. So far the only trips out of the house is in the RV to full hookup sites and we do not use public bathhouses at all. I as going to try to change our plans, but he family was pretty clear that the beach is how we are celebrating making it through this very odd school year for both my Wife the teacher and our kids (9th and 5th grade.)
[/QUOTE]

@jbrostek Although I am concerned about getting COVID, I am actually a bit more concerned about the long term effects (inflamed heart, lung issues, brain issues, etc) that COVID could bring to me.

We visited Pigeon Forge several years ago and had a fantastic time. We had planned another trip this past spring, and we decided not to go. So, perhaps we will make a reservation, to at least have a spot. We can, indeed, cancel.

i also am very careful when I go out in public. I wear my mask, sanitize my hands often, even the steering wheel. Golf cart ,car, house & truck all have sanitize for my hands & surrounding. I am getting the vaccine as soon as I can. Already have my flu shot. My worry is I am having to stay in one of the cabins. I plan on bring plenty of cleaning stuff to use in the cabin. Hope you can make the meet.

@jbrostek Although I am concerned about getting COVID, I am actually a bit more concerned about the long term effects (inflamed heart, lung issues, brain issues, etc) that COVID could bring to me.

Agreed, it is not just about avoiding catching it but the effects afterwards as well. We are booked for several trips for 2021 and I have been saying we will see where we sit in the new year as to which ones we keep and which ones we don't. The bonus I see in using your own RV is know know the level of clean, and you can mitigate the rest.

We are the same as @tiggerdad having hand sanitizers everywhere and being mindful of it all. That said we have also managed some fun adventures using the RV which I do not feel we could have had or enjoyed if we did not have it.

Best wishes in finding your comfort level.

Hey all - wish we could. Sadly, kids are still in school at that time. One of these years we'll make it. I just hope all you old-timers are still getting together in 7 years when our calendar is no longer constrained by the school-year! Have fun.

Unfortunately, i cant go this year. Just too much at work and booking in october for disney took up a lot of vacation. My problem is more if they keep the mandatory lock downs in place. I dont have enough time to go places and burn through 2 weeks of sick or vacation time to sot home when i return. Also, we are getting hit hard again, more overtime, less people to work it.

Spud, yea, im in NJ and to ecco what others said, its up to you what to risk. So far ive been prety lucky and have not gotten it at work. Taking precautions does work, masks, wipes , sanitizer. I make my own disenfecting wipes out of baby wipes. We still have no disinfecting wipes here. . Ive been exposed a few times and have not gotten it. I'm a firefighter and do have lots of contact with sick people. Open air, and staying distant is easier to do while camping. Even if you meet up with some people.

Just someother stuff, from what ive sceen there is really no ryme or reason to who gets it bad and who dosent. My inlaws brother died from it, he was about 65, his father who was 96 with lots of health problems had it also and no symptoms at all. So same familly, one was more at high risk. And the healthy one died. You just dont know. So be safe and take general precautions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter