Just back from BWV/OKW GV

melk

DIS Veteran
Just back from 5 nights at Boardwalk, then 5 nights at OKW. First time at BWV, I requested an upper floor away from elevators and that's what we got. Yes, those hallways are long!! But we really enjoyed seeing Illuminations from our balcony. For a standard view room, we were quite happy with it.

We liked the location of it, nice walk to Epcot, but I think we would enjoy the walk more had it not been August. It was so hot! We ate at ESPN and walked the Boardwalk one night.

We were in room 4109, very nice, clean, except we did make mention of a couple of things. There was a little mold in shower, the towel bar was about to fall off the wall, and a shelf in the kitchen was very wobbly. And one night we got back to the room (after midnight) and our keys wouldn't work. Someone came up with a hard key to let us in, and the next morning they had to send up two people to change the battery in the locking mechanism.
But other than those things, the room was very, very nice, we really liked it.

Kids loved the pool, especially the slide. The water there seemed cooler than any other pool, we loved it. As a sidenote, I was a bystander in an incident with a parent allowing her daughter to urinate on the sidewalk right next to the pool. Another guest spoke up and there were some heated words. I stayed out of it, but come on, that's just disgusting and unsanitary (the mother kept saying "Hey, that's what little kids do") :sad2:

At OKW we had a Grand Villa, #1622, building 16 near the Hospitality House (we had requested a GV near the main pool). One word to describe it: amazing!! It was so beautiful, we were all thrilled with it (we had extended family meet us there). It was in beautiful condition, I really can't think of anything there to complain about. But, what is up with the shower stall in the master bathroom? They have a soap dish up high, but no shelf for shampoo, razor, etc.? That would be my only complaint there.

We had a great trip, visited VWL (our home resort) and got a little homesick. But we enjoyed trying other resorts. Our highlights of the trip were the Pirate and Princess Party (we recommend that highly), our dinner out at Boma, and a side trip to Tropicana Field to see the Red Sox play the Devil Rays.

Also, met a very nice Dis'er at BWV (Hello Poorman!! Hope you had a great vacation!). We checked out the AKL rooms at Saratoga Springs and they look really, really nice. Just another choice to make for next time, I guess.

If you have any questions, just ask.:goodvibes

Thanks for the TR. One simple question - since VWL is your home resort, did you have any trouble booking the GV?

Thanks for the TR. One simple question - since VWL is your home resort, did you have any trouble booking the GV?

We really wanted the GV portion of the trip first, then have the 2nd week to ourselves but at 7 months I couldn't get the GV for that week. So I had them look ahead a week and they said there were a couple of GV's open. So when the booking date came I had to call day by day first thing in the a.m. So as it worked out we ended the trip in the GV and it was a really nice way to end the trip.

Thanks for the post. I would love to see recent pics of an OKW GV if you've got them.

Glad you had a great trip!:banana:

Does your check in paper work happen to mention the spots you can refill a mug at BWV?
What do the mugs at BWV look like now, if you happened to notice?

Also, did you notice what hours the Belle View Lounge was open? any breakfast times?

Thanks for the help, we have just over a month left til our BWV stay for Food and Wine Fest. We have not stayed at our original "home" in 4 yrs as we used points for our selves and family on a 7 day cruise then booked another cruise for ourselves the next yr.

Thanks for the post. I would love to see recent pics of an OKW GV if you've got them.

I'm sorry, I took a lot of video of the room but I'm not sure I have a single picture:confused3 !!

Glad you had a great trip!:banana:

Does your check in paper work happen to mention the spots you can refill a mug at BWV?
What do the mugs at BWV look like now, if you happened to notice?

Also, did you notice what hours the Belle View Lounge was open? any breakfast times?

Thanks for the help, we have just over a month left til our BWV stay for Food and Wine Fest. We have not stayed at our original "home" in 4 yrs as we used points for our selves and family on a 7 day cruise then booked another cruise for ourselves the next yr.

I'm sorry, we didn't do the refillable mugs so I can't answer anything on that for you. But I just checked the resort directory they give at check-in and it says the hours for The Belle Vue Room are 6:30 a.m.-11:00 a.m. breakfast, 5:00 p.m.-12 midnight, full bar (hours subject to change seasonally).

Hope that helps! Have fun!

Hi Melissa! :wave2:

I kept an eye out for you at the BWI but didn't see you by the pool. We were in a room right above the candy shop - great view!

We did the DVC walk through at SSR for AKV and we are in the process now of finishing up our paperwork to be DVC owners with AKV as our home resort! :cool1: Sure wish we had done it years ago when the points were much cheaper! :scared:

Was it HOT enough for you??? This was our hottest august trip by far and it was quite draining. We managed to do a lot but at a much slower pace. Dd8 tried Space Mountain for the first time and loved it so now I have a ride buddy. :)

It's been hard having vacation withdrawal and getting kids back to school - one down and one to go!

Glad you had a good time!!

Jill

Hey Jill!

I looked for you as well, but I have to say, I was surprised just at how big Boardwalk is! Even the pool area was just so large (we're used to the quiet pool at VWL).

A big congratulations to your new DVC purchase!!!:thumbsup2 You will absolutely love it. I thought those AKV villas were beautiful. I think you will really love staying in the villas vs. a hotel room, plus the flexibility of trying all the different resorts. Congrats again!!

Yes, the heat was oppressive. We said we can't do August again. Even though we love a long trip, we're going to have to do shorter trips during cooler times of the year (thinking January ;) ).

We did the PPP and loved it, however we went the night of the torrential, pouring rain/dangerous lightning storm. We just sucked it up and went with it. We were like 3rd in line to meet Jack Sparrow, who was great. Then all the rides were walk-ons. We waited for nothing. The kids were able to get plenty of candy but other than that, not too much was going on. We didn't see the fireworks until about 11:00, but they were so awesome. Well worth it, even in the rain!

We're all having vacation withdrawal, too. In fact, I need to go break up a fight over our new High School Musical microphone.

Good to hear from you, Jill!

We stayed in #1622 in April, we also found it to be fabulous!
:cool1:
The location, the condition of the villa, and the SIZE of the villa were all simply incredible.

I think I've got some pics somewhere, if I can remember how to post them......

At OKW, I usually use the window ledge in the shower for my shampoo etc, but just now I can't remember if the GV shower has that window ledge or not. I remember that the shower is different in the GV, but I'm fuzzy on the details of how it's different.

At OKW, I usually use the window ledge in the shower for my shampoo etc, but just now I can't remember if the GV shower has that window ledge or not. I remember that the shower is different in the GV, but I'm fuzzy on the details of how it's different.

There is no window, hence no window ledge. I ended up balancing my razor up on the soap dish with the soap and just keeping my shampoo and conditioner on the floor (it's so big in there it didn't even get wet...even better, I could shower more than one child at a time in there, lol!)

Sounds like the GV was awesome! We were down there at the same time and also took in the Sox game. Great place to see a game and very affordable compared to Fenway. We were there for the 2nd game and had great seats and the ride wasn't bad either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter