Just back from first ever DVC trip!

ShuisFan584

<font color=red>Bowler & <font color=blue>Softball
We just got back on Friday from our first ever DVC stay. We stayed at Old Key West in a 2 bedroom from August 18 - 26. We loved the resort, it was really beautiful! And we absolutely loved the room! We had 6 people and it was so nice having so much room, including 2 bathrooms, with an extra bathroom sink outside of each bathroom! My parents loved their king size bed, and everyone else loved the queen sized beds. My mom also really liked her nice, big jacuzzi.

There was one room ready when we got there around 1:00 pm so we took it. It was room 3914 which is pretty far from the main buildings. We had a nice view of a pond in the back along with a view of another building. The building was right next to a highway, but we couldn't see it and definitely couldn't hear it either.

We were right around the corner from the Turtle Pond bus stop, and also from one of the pools and Turtle Shack...but we were disappointed because the snack bar was closed while we were there. :sad1:

We ate at Olivia's for breakfast once while we were there. I guess they took a little longer than usual to get our food out (it really wasn't that long of a wait), so the waiter offered us a free fruit plate or something. We really didn't want extra food so we said no thanks, but he was nice enough to just subtract the drinks from the bill.

The main pool was very nice! We only went once, but we had a lot of fun. The slide was fun, even though we looked pretty silly being on it with a bunch of kids. :teeth:

We had a great time there, but there were a couple of things we didn't like.

First of all, we always used to stay at a moderate, so we're used to having a food court. We liked having all the different options if we were hungry in our room, but here we either had Olivia's, or a fast food sandwich or pretzel or something. This wasn't really a big problem for us, just something small.

Second, this didn't really bother me, but my mom didn't like being so far from the main buildings. She always liked being able to walk to the main pool and places to eat. We realized that the internal bus shuttle was useless, so we would always get on any bus at Turtle Pond, since the last stop is always hospitality house. And on the way back we would just walk to Peninsular, take the first bus to come, since Turtle Pond was always the 3rd stop.

And the one thing we all absolutely hated, was the extremely slow bus service. I don't know if it was just our resort, or all of them, but we noticed that it was really bad this year. Our average wait for a bus (at our resort or at the park) was probably about 20 minutes. There were just very few times where we waited 5 minutes or less, but we even waited up to half an hour sometimes. There were even 2 times where we were at the parks, and I counted every single other resort bus to come, and ours was the very last. It was just annoying that we had to figure in like an extra 20 minutes or so to get somewhere, because that's how long we had to wait most of the time.

Those were the only bad things we noticed about where we stayed. Other than that, we had a wonderful time, and I definitely wouldn't mind staying there again. Just not anytime soon because we still want to stay at all the other 4 DVC resorts!

We visited all of the other 4 DVC resorts while we were there. My parents took a tour of some Saratoga rooms, since that is where we own. My mother decided that she's going to have to add on more points sometime in the future (yay) because we absolutely have to stay in a grand villa at least once! She said the room was amazing, and she would love for us to do that sometime in the future, when my sister and I are both married with kids.

We decided that we probably want to stay at Boardwalk next, since we all love boardwalks (we're from NJ and love to visit South Jersey boardwalks all the time), and it's a really nice looking resort that's just walking distance from a few other resorts and Epcot!

All in all, we thought all of the DVC resorts were absolutely beautiful in person, and we can't wait to try them all out. We had a wonderful vacation, and we're glad that we decided to join DVC!

It sounds likek, overall, you had a great stay. I think you will love staying at the various DVC resorts, it is a wonderful way to enjoy your WDW vacatons. Thanks for posting your report. :earsgirl:

Glad you enjoyed our home. The bus service is pretty good compared to some resorts. Actually, since the buses go about every 20 minutes, it certainly is feasible that you would wait at least that long. In the afternoon, buses run less frequently, because fewer people use them. Bus service is usually slower during the busy summer months because of heavy usage. When we go in winter, we rarely wait even 5-10 minutes, but then we know the system, and learn what time to get to the bus stops.

Thanks for the report - especially all the details. Glad you had a good time and I'm looking forward to hearing how you like my home resort -the BWV.

Best wishes -

Sounds like over all, you had a positive experience.

I haven't stayed at OKW in the last couple of years, but I understand what your concerns were with the items you listed.

In regards to the Room/Building location, I would think that you can make a request for a building close to the main building or other location. You can also request that again when you check in. Now that you have an idea of OKW's layout, you can have the CM show you on the map where your Room/Building is. If you don't like it, you can ask if they have (or will have) something more to your liking.

I also know what you are saying about only having one place to eat. It feels very limited.
However, you got to love the kitchen in your 2-bedroom. No one goes on vacation to cook, but it is great to have that option. We fly into Orlando, so we can't carry a lot of stuff, but I always bring a weeks worth of snacks for the kids. I also try to bring something which will be a quick fix for dinner. Microwave Mac-n-cheese for a lunch for the kids, maybe pasta and sauce for a quick dinner.
They have a food store in the main building. It is very limited, but has the basics.
I have faxed them a store list for several visits, and the food is there in the room waiting for us, or they deliver it a couple of hours later.
I have not done this, but others have posted that there are services which will shop at a real food store, and deliver it to you at a time you say, for a reasonable fee.

As far as busses go, I find that they can run from convenient to frustrating.
If you need to be some place at a certain time, leave lots of time for travel.
Sometimes they work just as you would hope. Other times I have being going to MK, but in my near hour wait, I see three buses for AK and two for MGM.
If this happens, I will ask the bus driver of one of those other busses to call in and check on the bus that we want. They do so, and give you an update. I don't know if this helps get a bus faster, but it makes me feel good.

These discussion groups are a great resource of information. If you have other questions, post them, and I am sure you will get lots of suggestions.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. It seems like just yesterday you were posting asking for tips on how to get your mom to buy a DVC membership!

Just returned from our first DVC trip on Sunday. Stayed at BWV. Never waited more than 10 minutes or so for a bus. You are right - you can't beat the location. You should try BWV next time! We loved it!

Thanks for posting a trip report! I am glad you had such a good vacation. There is a place called Wegoshop that will shop and deliver groceries for you! We like to have times when we just eat a sandwich or have a bowl of cereal :earboy2:

We used wegoshop for the first time last week, too! It was a wonderful service. We had a case of water, soda, juice, milk, snacks, and some breakfast items delivered to us. They came within 15 minutes of me calling to let them know I had a room! I would use them again in a heartbeat!

Something else to keep in mind (if you are driving) is that the POR FQ or Riverside food courts are very close. (just around the corner really from OKW) I know its not the same as being RIGHT there. We also are big on making sure we have some quick meals/snacks in our room at all times, even when staying in a studio since we have children along for the trip. It really makes it much easier if we can feed them ASAP when they get hungry and not have to wait.

I have been wondering if the buses have slowed down because most kids are back in school already and its not from HIGH demand, but from LOW demand. Many people over the last couple of weeks have said they waited a long time. We never waited more than 15 minutes or so to any property at WDW coming or going. Maybe its perspective as well.

Glad the rest of your trip was great!

Laura

Glad to hear you liked OKW! It's by far, our favorite DVC resort, having tried them all except vero and saratoga. I think new members are used to where they previously stayed and the options available at the non home-away-from-home resorts. We stayed at OKW a couple weeks prior to you and when we got hungry, we popped a pizza in our oven. We always had snacks on hand, chips/popcorn or whatever for evening hunger binges. Another nice thing is, you can get your left-over restaurant food (if there IS any,lol) and store it in your fridge for later, especially great for that dessert you just couldn't fit in after dinner!
As for buses, i agree that the the time of year was probably why. We had great service the second week of august. longest wait was maybe 20 mins. one time FROM okw and maybe 30 mins. FROM a park. that only happened once. other times we literally walked onto buses. Once the kids go back to school, maybe the same amount of buses aren't needed. You can always use the phone at the resort stops or let the bus info. center know how long you've been waiting if you're at a park. They'll dispatch a special bus in that case.
Welcome Home and welcome to DVC; you'll love being members! :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter