Just back from Yacht Club

Tara8595

DIS Veteran
Okay - let me start saying the Yacht Club has been my favorite, and in spite of the following, we had a great time on our vacation and the parks were awesome, ate great food, saw all the nighttime events and attended the Halloween party which was fun fun fun.... BUT...

It's such a shame really, because I usually love the Yacht club, but this experience kind of stunned me. Definitely not what I've come to expect. HOWEVER.... The new rooms and interior corridors are really pretty. Mickey yacht-club lamps and hidden mickeys on the bedspreads and mirrors and hall carpets. Pretty and fun and still really elegant with all the rich blues and golds.

-Gina checked us in at the Yacht club. Grumpy grumpy grumpy. If you see her name as you check in, say - 'Nevermind' and play it off like you forgot something - hopefully you'll get a "Happy" dwarf instead when you try again.

If you are a mid-day naptaker and are checking into a hotel that is renovating, request to be away from the renovation area. We couldn't nap on our off-day because they were literally hammering right over our heads. Plus, we were right next to the ice machine, so it was noisy. Unfortunately, we were all unpacked and had been there for 2 days before we took an off-day, and by that time, decided to just stay, because we didn't want to re-pack. We had to nap at the 'quiet' pool. They should close the entire wing when they're renovating. There's no excuse for not being able to take a nap when you're paying that much money for your room.

-Stormalong Bay - okay, it looks cool, but I can't see where it's that much cooler than the other resort pools. It looks neat, but still, it's just water, and they charge you to rent a tube! Sorry - I just never imagined you'd be paying $200/night and then they wouldn't have tubes just available for you at the pool to use in the 'lazy river' thing. I thought that was particularly bad.

-Unfinished stairwells. This is my newest pet-peeve. Here we're at this beautiful hotel, newly refurbished with a room on the first floor. We follow signs to the exit and quiet pool, and have to shuffle through a dirty paint-chipping non-themed nasty stairwell hallway to get outside. If they are going to direct guests through these areas, they should finish them off.

-Had to call maintenance to clean the grounds around our patio. We only saw a couple, but when the man came back inside, he had like 9 or 10 empty Smirnoff mini-bottles that he'd gathered from the shrubbery. Nice.

Has anyone else had this type of thing happen? It's just not what I've come to expect, especially at a deluxe.

My first experience at the Yacht Club was so different. It's still a beautiful hotel though, and the proximity to Epcot, MGM, and view of the Boardwalk at night are unbeatable. I love that whole area actually. Maybe I'll luck out when I go back in May. I'd head back to the Boardwalk, but Mom wants to see the newly refurbished rooms - what can you do?

Anyhow - a warning for anyone checking in in the next few days - if renovations are still on, request to be put in a room far from where they're working, and not next to an ice machine.

Tara

We recently spent one night at the Yacht Club and weren't really impressed by it at all. When we walked in we were totally in awe of the beauty of the lobby and the wonderful service of the valet and bellmen. Unfortunately whoever we got at the front desk wasn't any friendly than your Gina. The place was empty and they just seemed like we were bothering them by asking them to check us in.

The room was ok but nothing spectacular. I don't know if it was a renovated room or not. It seemed nicer than I thought the non-renovated rooms would be but not as clean as I would have expected from a recently renovated room.

We spent most of the day at Storm-a-long Bay. We did enjoy it but not so much that we'd pay the money to stay at the YC again.

Thanks for the YC review.

DH and I will be staying there for the first time next month. I'm really excited about it, but sometimes I can't believe that I passed up the GF at $189 a night (We haven't stayed there either, but it has been my dream since it was built).

Anyway, do you have any idea when the rehab. will be finished? We arrive on the 15th, and one of the reasons we chose YC was because we knew it was being refurbished, and thought it would be like staying in a new hotel (we loved the "newness" of AKL in January). When we booked, the work was to have been finished before our arrival.

Oh...and we'll be sure to steer clear of Gina at check-in ;) .

Thanks in advance-

I really enjoyed our stay at the Yacht Club a few years ago. We checked in early but our room was not ready and my requests were not being granted except for the smoking part. The CM was very nice and enthusiastic about the room we would be receiving. It ended up being on the first floor ( I had wanted high up) next to the turret facing the lagoon. It was an awesome room. We had a patio with a garden and an estate like lawn leading down to the boardwalk, marina and water. I was really impressed untill we wanted to go outside after putting laundry in. We went into the stairwell nearest the laundry room and it was like a cement bunker!!! What a shock. So I will gladly add $5-10 to my next stay if Disney would spruce these areas up a bit!!!

When we stayed at the Yacht Club in 2000 we absolutely loved it and couldn't find a single thing to complain about. I'm so sorry to hear it isn't still that way. Can I suggest that you write Disney concerning the problems you had? Not to "get something",although Disney does seem to try and compensate in some way when they think a guest has a valid complaint, but to let them know what problems you had so they can be corrected. I'm a firm believer that they pay attention to their guests comments whether positive or negative. It's so simple now to email them with your concerns and it may just help correct some of the problems you encountered. Also, if you decide to write, I'd be sure and include the name of the cm you had at check-in. If I had problems with my stay and I was planning on returning, I'd sure write them. Just a thought......

Tara8595

Thanks for the review and the warning.

I have a few questions if you don't mind. What room were you in? Did you request the 1st floor? Did you like having the patio instead of a balcony? We are going in just 8 days and I haven't decided on a room request yet.

rugratsmom - we were in 1067. Didn't mind being on the first floor - in fact, it was nice to not have to mess with the elevator. However, I'm definitely used to having a balcony and the view from above - wouldn't have had the trash problem if we'd been on an upper floor.

We had no view as our room was at the end of the wing and the boardwalk was obstructed by a big bush - not a big deal, didn't pay for anything but standard view so didn't expect to see the water. Being right around the corner from the door was really convenient, just wish it had been finished off in the stairwell and that the wall was sound-proofed from falling ice every 30 seconds.

Peachgirl - maybe I will write. You're right - it will probably make me feel better.

daannzz - that's the exact stairwell I'm talking about!! I was right around the corner from the laundry-room.

Mom-of-5 - Rehab is supposed to be completed 'by October' - we thought that meant it would be done in time for our stay, but instead, they were still working on the 2nd floor. At least our room was new - although outside on the patio - moldy and mildewy. I hope they paint before my next trip. Kind of a bummer to have a clean room and then a dirty patio/balcony. Additionally, they're still working on Stormalong bay and parts were curtained off. Not sure when that'll be done. Just make sure you request to be away from where the rehab is being done.

reveric - I had such a great experience there in Dec 2001. Great check-in, great room - even got upgraded to concierge - certainly we didn't expect that again. I just love walking through the lobby and the rooms and corridors are so elegant. They still are. But, my experience this time was just so far less than standard.

I think I will send an email.

Hopefully it'll be better in May when I go back and give them another shot to 'wow' me.

-Tara

We're splitting our Dec stay between the YC and the Polynesian. The Polynesian has had such rave reviews on this board lately.

Hopefully we'll love it!

Thanks, Tara! We'll report on our experience at the YC when after we return. Maybe they'll really be finished with the rehab before we get there.

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, especially when paying such high rates. We were at the YC 9/2-10/7 and Gina checked us in, we found her to be pleasant and personable, infact every time we were in the lobby she made a point of saying hi to us. Maybe you caught her on a bad day, or we caught her on a good week.:p Our room was 1036, near the quiet pool and we loved this room. I'm sure that the view of the Boardwalk is more exciting and lovely at night, but we enjoyed the quietness and the privacy that this room offers. There was construction going on but nothing that interfered with our vacation. We loved the YC and our room so much we're planning on going back10/04 and I'm hoping to get the same room.:bounce:

We are headed to YC Conceirge next week, I hope this was just an off day for Gina. How bad were the renovations?

Thanks for the update.

We love the YC/BC - stayed at both. Love the area, the pool, etc etc. I can honestly say I have 0 complaints - not one bad experience. Luckily I've never been checked in by a "Gina" and hope I never get the pleasure.

In fact, we love it so much that we left the Grand Floridian to go back "home" to the Beach Club. I think more than anything we love the Boardwalk area and Stormalong Bay. To me, stormalong bay is the best pool on WDW property although I do think it's tacky that you have to rent the tubes...but hey...it's Disney. It ain't cheap that's for sure.

PamNC

All I can say is everyone has a bad day now and then. That might have been Gina's bad day for that week. Unfortunately you took the brunt of it.

My DW and I stayed at YC on our honeymoon back in 98. We absolutely loved it. SAB was great, the CMs were all cordial, and the wide variety of eating establishments between there and the Boardwalk was great.

The only complaint I had on my stay were rude foreigners who didn't know what a sign "Please Wait Here For Check-In" meant at the hotel.

Stormalong Bay is being refurbished???!! I just called the front desk 3 days ago and asked them if it was being worked on. She told me NO and that there are no plans for November (when I am going) for it to be worked on. Do they know what's going on at their resort or what?

Stormalong Bay is being refurbished???!! I just called the front desk 3 days ago and asked them if it was being worked on. She told me NO and that there are no plans for November (when I am going) for it to be worked on. Do they know what's going on at their resort or what?

I was just at the Yacht Club front desk last week to check on the location of the Special needs waterview rooms ( wanting to know what the view was since CRO said they knew but couldn't tell me!). Anyway, I was told that all the room renovations were completed and that they'd be starting on BC this week. ---Kathy

jlb - to answer your 'how bad are the renovations' question - I guess it's only bad if you have a similar experience to mine. The renovations are only done from 9-5, so if you are at the parks, it's no big deal and you'd never know it. But if you plan to sleep late or come back to your room for a mid-day nap, it can be disturbing - as it was for us with the hammering literally right over the head of our bed.

suwoogie - a couple areas were curtained off as of Sunday. Maybe they've just finished though.

dclfun - good that they've finished the YC. But BC goers be warned - request a room in a different wing from where renovations are occurring.

Also, if they're done with YC, then that means no exterior refurbishment, which is a shame, because they really need to clean the patios and balconies due to mildew.

Thanks for the report, dclfun! I'm glad to know that the YC renovations are finished. I can't wait to stay there :D .

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter