Just Back...here's Where We Ate!

reesecup

DIS Veteran
We just got back from our trip that went from 12/31 until 1/06. I have appreciated the posts to restaurants on here in the past so I thought I would share ours and hope it helps someone.

12/31...New Year's Eve. OK. So we were in WDW for New Year's Eve. Stayed at Saratoga . Had a great time at the pool that day. Then of course, the dysfunctional family we are (not really..well, maybe a little) , we could not agree on dinner plans. So, what we ended up with was a frozen lasagne meal and some tater tots teenage DD had to have.

OK... so our meal selection for our wonderful trip started out , shall we say, bland. But it gets better.
Really, it does.

Next morning we scheduled to eat breakfast at Kona Cafe but after realizing that our transfer or rooms from SSR to our home resort BWV (Yea!!! Sorry, but our room really stunk at SSR (location wise, not smells because the room was so new which that part was great) would consume too much time and we just had to hurry to the parks so we opted for :

SPOODLES: We got there before they even opened. Had a very nice breakfast there. DH had a great omelet type thingy with some potatoes (I think)... pretty tasty... DD had french toast ...pretty tasty too.... and DS had the four MIckey waffles (I don't know how they tasted b/k he never shares with mom :confused3 !!! I had a cup of coffee (and bites of DH and DD's meals). Perfect amount. Overall, food was good but wish we would have held on to the Kona ressie and got to the parks just a tad later.

Our next big meal would be that night at:

SAN ANGEL INN: There's been mixed reviews here but we have always enjoyed this one and we knew the boat would be closed down after the first night and we wanted to ride it. Sooo.... off we went.... granted I was not all that hungry with that BIG breakfast of mine ;) much earlier in the day. Here's what we got:

DH got the combinacion cozumel... it was grilled beef tenderloin and shrimp with mashed potatoes and veggies... I guess he figures SOMEONE might want to try a bite or two. (We planned on sharing this b/k I just was not that hungry). This was very good but I don't think DH was extremely impressed. DD got the nachos for her meal. (Not that great). DS got hmmm... sorry , guys I just don't remember.
And I got not one, but two margaritas. I was kidding with the waitress when I told her "I'm not eating, I'm just drinking." But, after I got the San Angel Marg. on the rocks, I saw a lady at the next table (yes, the tables are very close... our waitress accidentally flicked my DD's straw (unused, I think) over on this table) with a frozen one that looked very yummy sooo, I asked what kind it was . Waitress said Strawberry but I opted for the Strawberry, Mango and Lime (in one glass.... not three seperate..C'mon , I'm not that big of a lush, geesh! ) It was EXCELLENT. Then , I managed to munch on nachos and of course a little of DH and DD's meals. I was very satisfied and I didn't tip over getting on to the boat ride either. We love this place even if it is just for the atmosphere and margaritas.

That was it for our first day... except for one Mickey bar that DS ate and one big cookie ice cream DD and I ate. Are you beginning to realize that DS is the smart one in all of this...he manages to keep all of his food ..... but all of that may change. :rolleyes1

I'll continue with our following days of our DDP ("DIS"functional "family" Dining Plan) shortly. Hey! It saved us lots of $$!

Let's see if I can get this finished. I had to run b/k kids were getting up and hungry.

On to Jan. 2nd. This was one of my favorites b/k for breakfast we went to:

1900 PARK FAIR and I LOVED it! But I have to admit the strawberry soup was not all that it has been talked about on the boards here (IMHO). However, the spanish style type egg mixture was excellent and just everything else here. Pretty standard breakfast buffet with some unique dishes I really liked. Oh, and there was some type of bread pudding. Very good. The best breakfast buffet we've eaten at and we've eaten at Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey's. There were a few highlight dishes at both of those in the past, but overall 1900 Park Fair is my top pick. Oh, and there was no sharing in that adventure.

Quick lunch ....just snacking. And then we went over to:

BEACHES AND CREAM : This was a big disappointment this time for us. We really enjoyed it the last time but DD and I shared a burger which was just not too much to talk about. DH had the chili. It was pretty good. I took a bite (go figure!). DS got a hot dog with just ketchup. Said he liked it pretty good. Then he had the Mud Slide. Loved it. DD had the No Way Jose. This was even a little bit of a disappointment. But what was really bad , was our service. The waitress was just pretty much right out rude. No personality whatsover. Granted they were a little busy but we sat at the bar and witnessed her several times chatting with other staff members while we waited for refills, etc. She just pretty much slammed the plates on the counter in front of us also. We also witnessed her whispering to what we figured was the main "chef" who then turned around and stared at us. "What? " I thought. "Do we look strange? Are there nose hairs sticking out DH's nose? " Nope...not a hair out of place. I have to say , this is probably the worst waitress I have experienced at Disney World or just about anywhere. I can handle if it takes someone a little longer to get things to us but please , BE NICE and friendly. Oh well. Maybe she didn't like that we all had water to drink and DD and I shared the burger but that should never matter.

On to the next day:

For breakfast we had :
Boardwalk Bakery for breakfast. DS had a cinnamon bun, DD had an apple turnover, and I had a chocolate twist. Not a healthy meal by all means but it was good.

Again, a light snack and then it was on to :

50's PRIME TIME Another one of our favorites. They were very busy but the waitress still had time to cut up with us and make us laugh on several occasions. She especially liked picking on DS who had the kids chicken fingers to eat, DH had the meatloaf with potatoes and green beans (I think) and YES, DD and I shared the fried chicken, turnip greens and potatoes. Sure wish we would NOT have shared this one. It was VERY GOOD. We loved everything about this and the kids can't wait to go back there again.

The next day we had a quick breakfast again: muffins, some cereal, etc.

Then a late lunch at :

LE CELLIER .. This was one I had been anticipating b/k of the reviews. We all enjoyed this very much. DH got the open faced steak sandwich , I got the meal size (instead of appetizer) cheese soup, DD got shrimp cocktail and then DS got the kids steak and since he got to chose the soup, DD talked him into giving that to her. Yea! he finally shared!

And we all loved the breadsticks. The pretzel bread was the kids favorite, mine and DH's was the multi-grain.

I really liked the soup. And the steaks were tender. I'm not sure that this was as good as what it is made over but of course we did not have dinner there. We will return though.

After we ate, DH and the kids left to go ride Mission Space... Can you believe that one? I told ya, we are a little strange sometimes. I decided to be the wise one of the bunch and headed over to Paris where I enjoyed a tasting of a glass of wine (very good) . I then tried to hold myself back from going in the pastry shop . I yelled at a woman to hold me back , to block the entrance, to kick my butt out of France. (not really) But the force was against me. And it slammed me right in there . I wanted to get the peach tart. I wanted to get the eclair looking thing. I wanted to get one of everything! But I ended up with a lemon tart and a creme brulee! I was VERY pleased! And I did end up sharing -- reluctantly. Oh, I wish I had one of each right now! This will be a MUST on the next trip and it will serve as breakfast , etc. several days on our next trip.

That's pretty much it. We left out early on Friday in order to beat the bad weather they forcasted to come our way and we headed for one night at Hilton Head. We just love it there and it was a nice resting , VERY QUIET place to relax before coming home on Sat. And we were actually going to stay Sat. night as well but decided to come on home.

But while we were at HHI.. we ate at a different Mexican place b/k San Miguel's was closed. We ate at :

Santa Fe This was THE BEST meal of the trip!!!! A little pricey but well worth it. Waitress not all that great but that was OK because the food made up for it! There will probably be no more San Miguel's for us. Well, they are a little different so we may still go there.

DH had the pork tenderloin.. OUT OF THIS WORLD! Had black refried beans with a sauce and then a side of garlic potatoes. DS had a cheese quesadilla and he also loved the pork which was a nice surprise for a change. And of course DD and I SHARED the chimichanga. OH,it was so very good.!!!! I know this is not a Disney World rest. but it is in Hilton Head and just thought it was worth mentioning if you ever stay at the Disney resort there. It's just across the highway right up from Palmetto Dunes entrance.

Well, that's it. Hope it helped someone somehow. Next time I am going to get my own darn plate!!!! I still managed to gain weight. Maybe it was the tart, creme brulee, margaritas, etc. I knew I didn't want to get on that scale. :scared: And so now, I'm trying to find a good deal on a treadmill. :sad1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter