Just back, tent camped in 300 Loop, any questions?

Wendy_Darling_2001

Mouseketeer
Just back from a short trip at Fort Wilderness! We had a great time, despite the heat! Fortunately, it cooled off enough at night to sleep comfortably.

We were in Loop 300, site 328. Originally were assigned the one across the road but asked if we could have 328 instead – no problem! We had faxed a request a few days prior and got just what we asked for! We were the only ones in the loop in a tent and were concerned that we would feel left out – not at all! We met lots of very nice campers! The site was perfect; it was only 1 away from the dirt road that leads to the lake and swamp trail. We were on the outside of the loop and had the canal behind us. It was nice having all that space behind our site and we were able to set up our camping chairs and table in the grass. We had squirrels, ducks, and cardinals come and visit us at our site. On the second morning, we saw an alligator in the canal, a decent size one, but by the time the Disney people came to survey the situation he had already swam back down the canal. We saw many pets in our loop, we were not at all disturbed by any barking. Comfort station was never crowded, I am assuming because of everyone in RVs. We stayed in the 2000 loop last year and I always had to wait for a shower. From now on, I think we will use the preferred loops!

The entire campground was well-kept and very clean. We checked out one of the refurbished comfort stations (900 loop) – WOW – it looked great! In my opinion, it looked nicer than any public bathroom on property, the tile was beautiful. Loops 400 & 700 (I think) were closed while we were there, it appeared they were working on the comfort stations and cutting down some trees and shrubs.

Didn’t use the new bus system. Rented a golf cart and had a blast cruising around on it. I was not aware of the new rules for renting, last time we rented one, you could pick up whenever you wanted to and it had in 24 hour increments. But now pick up is 1pm and return at 11am. I wasn’t informed of this when I made the reservation a month ago. If we had known this we would have picked it up as soon as we arrived the first day. Water levels are down so you cannot take canoes/paddle boats into the canals, have to stay in the meadows lake. Saw lots of people enjoying the carriage rides, looked like fun. Saturday night the boats running to MK were running very slow, took us 45 minutes to get to the park, only 1 boat running!

There was a grad night while we were there, heard the music throughout the night but didn’t keep us awake and it was cool to watch the fireworks at 12:30 am from the beach! Did the campfire twice, enjoyed both pools, hopefully next time river country will be open!

The only negative aspect of the trip was a domestic disturbance in the site near ours. Disney security and the orange county police had to come out! They were very discrete and took charge of the situation immediately. It was very disturbing to hear people fighting, esp. since their children were in the RV with them. Security told us it happens all the time, even at WDW – very sad!

I would love to answer any questions!

for noticing the pets in the 300 loop. You know I've been wondering about that! Glad to hear all your details and that you had a great time. Did you use the pools at all?
Terri the Yoopermom

Yes Terri, we did use both pools. I like the one in the cabin area because it is smaller and the sides/edges of the pool are not rough concrete like the main pool. I like to sit on the edge of the pool and my bathingsuit was getting really snagged at the main pool. We have stayed at many Disney resorts and we always tend to spend more time at the pools at Ft. Wilderness than any other resort - and they are the simplest pools on property, IMO. But we are always on a slower pace while camping and like to go for a swim every few hours to cool off!

We rode through every loop on the golf cart and I really think I like Loop 300 the best, in terms of location (half way between meadows area and the marina area) and the sites are very nice and you can't beat having that canal right there!

This is actually the loop that I requested when I made my ressies back in Feb! I wanted a preferred site near the water. Are the even or odd # of sites backed up to the canal (or does it matter?) My DH and son like to fish and since I penciled in an extra day to relax at FW, it might be nice for them to sit behind the camper and toss in a pole. How close are the sites to the canals? When I called the Disney Club, I had asked about pets in loop 300 and they told me there are no pets in the preferred loops (?). We have a cat (who I am not bringing on vacation!!!) and my kids (and DH!) have been begging for a dog.....I hope this doesn't drive them too crazy! :bounce:

Colleen

Great report on the 300 loop. You answered all my questions. We usually stay in 1600 or 1700 because they are pet loops. I had read on another web site that 300 was being made a pet loop but had not found out for sure. Now I know. It's about time pet people are allowed in a preferred loop. Thanks for the info!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter