Just got Song of the South on DVD and can not wait til I watch it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobie

Earned Me Ears
Yesterday, I went to the Southern Women's Show in Raliegh, NC with my wife. While walking around we came to this booth that had DVDs, and there it was! It caught my eye, and I was sooo happy. I have been wanting this movie for such a long time. The lady sad that it is a converted version of the one they sell in England. The video quality was not the best, more along the lines of VHS quality, but I have been looking for this gem in VHS for a long time too.

Once I watch it, I will let you all know how good the quality is. They have a web-site where they sell it, but I can not remeber it off the top of my head either; so I will post that later on too.

Have a good one!

Isn't that illegal to purchase a pirated copy of a VHS into DVD?

The DVD is said to be more along the lines of VHS quality (it was not said that it's a copy of a VHS made into a DVD!). :)

I've never seen the movie, just a clip, but I'd like to see it someday
-mary

Rats, I should have gone to that show......

I've been looking for this too. I did see the movie as a little girl but I don't remember it.

Isn't that illegal to purchase a pirated copy of a VHS into DVD?

Please. I would happily buy this DVD from Disney at full price if they would release the darn thing, but since I don't see that happening, I would have bought this DVD too.

I'd love to buy a LEGAL copy of this movie. I've heard that there were legal copies sold in other countries as you mentioned in your post. Does anyone know if these converted copies are legal or not? It doesn't seem like they would be, but I don't know much about copyright laws.

I questioned the legal issues too, but the lady said that they went through all the legal proceedings for it. They had to do the conversion in England, make all copies in England, ect, for it to be legal.

Legal or not, I am happy with it. If it is illegal, it is Diney's fault. If they would get their head out of the sand and not worry about the the few who might be offended by this movie, and release the movie in the states, then they would not have to worry about the movie being pirated.

If Disney would release it in the US, I would be one of the first in line to buy it. I loved this movie as a child, I saw the release in the theatres in the 80's.

Regardless of the legality of the DVD, and I'm not entirely sure it is legal, this really isn't related to theme park planning. So I've moved this thread to the Theme Parks Community board.

And yes, I know that Splash Mountain was based on SotS. ;)

Disney has never released Song of the South on DVD. They've thought about it, but keep putting it off due to public pressure. All of them -- even the ones that look legit and say that they're 'factory sealed' - are bootlegs. (Anybody can buy a shrinkwrap kit.)

Sorry, I was not sure where to post this. I am a huge Disney fan, and was just realy excited to get this.

Like I said, I will post the web address to this company when I get home so thoes that want to get it can.

Congrats on the DVD!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

My aunt has a imported copy she got from a mail order catalog in Japan. It's not the best quality, but the best she could find after looking for years. Can't vouch for the legality of it or not, but if Disney would cut the PC, ummm, stuff, they'd make a killing with the release of a decent ORGINAL (not edited) version here in the States.

Disney has never released Song of the South on DVD. They've thought about it, but keep putting it off due to public pressure. All of them -- even the ones that look legit and say that they're 'factory sealed' - are bootlegs. (Anybody can buy a shrinkwrap kit.)

They have released it over seas. This is a converted DVD, from PAL to to NTSC. Like I said, from the display they were showing it was not 100% quality, but as good as VHS. They are legit, through the process in which they copy them ;).

And even if I do fins out that this was an "illegal" purchase, I will not feel guilty about it. Disney did not lose any money by my buying, becuase it is not available to purchase. And if they ever do make it available, like I said before,I will be the first in line to buy it.

Sorry, I was not sure where to post this. I am a huge Disney fan, and was just realy excited to get this.

Like I said, I will post the web address to this company when I get home so thoes that want to get it can.

Please DO NOT post it....it is ILLEGAL, Disney has not released the DVD , btw...DVDs from England will not work on most US players.

They have released it over seas. This is a converted DVD, from PAL to to NTSC. Like I said, from the display they were showing it was not 100% quality, but as good as VHS. They are legit, through the process in which they copy them ;).

And even if I do fins out that this was an "illegal" purchase, I will not feel guilty about it. Disney did not lose any money by my buying, becuase it is not available to purchase. And if they ever do make it available, like I said before,I will be the first in line to buy it.

I would be careful about posting that, you have put yourself at risk to be investigated and arrested for piracy.

I would be careful about posting that, you have put yourself at risk to be investigated and arrested for piracy.

Ummm, no I don't. Do a quick google search and you will see many places that sell these copies. The reason why I purchased it at the show, was becuase I was able to see the quality. I would run the risk of piracy if I made copies of the DVD I bought and sold them.

I have the VHS, i bought it from the UK 2 years ago for $80 :scared1: and was also told it was legit. Personally, it looks like a copy to me! This is my son's favorite video and he has watched it a gazillion times. I thought I would buy it, watch it, then sell it on ebay. I cannot bring myself to get rid of it but I sure could use that $80 back!:laughing:

Since the legality of this DVD is in question, I'm going to go ahead close this thread here. The DIS cannot allow links to potentially pirated material to be posted on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter