Just off the Dream...a few interesting points

CBJHockeyNut

Mouseketeer
My Daughter and I just disembarked from the Dream yesterday. We were located on deck 5 forward and our stateroom still had individual size shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bar soap. They no longer deliver the daily Navigator to your room each evening. If you would like one they have them set out a guest services. I am not sure if this is new, but we last sailed on the Fantasy 2 months ago and still received it. I understand they want people to use the app, but personally I like having a paper Navigator. Gift shops had made the switch to purchasing bags for your purchase. I was also surprised to see that Shutters still prints all of your photographs on the Dream. This was not the case on the Fantasy and I don't recall them printing them on the Magic when we last sailed in 2017.

My Daughter and I just disembarked from the Dream yesterday. We were located on deck 5 forward and our stateroom still had individual size shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bar soap. They no longer deliver the daily Navigator to your room each evening. If you would like one they have them set out a guest services. I am not sure if this is new, but we last sailed on the Fantasy 2 months ago and still received it. I understand they want people to use the app, but personally I like having a paper Navigator. Gift shops had made the switch to purchasing bags for your purchase. I was also surprised to see that Shutters still prints all of your photographs on the Dream. This was not the case on the Fantasy and I don't recall them printing them on the Magic when we last sailed in 2017.

Hey cruise buddy! Just got off the Dream yesterday too! We stayed deck 8 midship and did not get the individual sized soap bottles :( they had big glass pump bottles with tamper proof tape on the lid. We did get the soap bars. I was sad to see no navigator in the cabins either. I was also suprised to see shutter sound printing pictures but suspect they will move towards doing away with it pretty soon. I didn’t notice a lot cutbacks. The DVC previews used to give free drinks of the day but they now give water bottles and up to $50 stateroom credit for anyone who go to the one on one sessions.

I am sad to hear about the Navigators. Like Theresa35 it was an evening ritual to read it. Glad to hear there were still bars of soap. Thanks for the report.

As much as I am a fan of the app to quickly found out what is going on at the moment, I was also a fan of the paper based version to get the bird's eye view of the day - which is much easier to day than scrolling on a phone. At least, there is still the option to retrieve one at guest services

As much as we use the app on our cruise I really love the paper navigators. For me there’s it is a difference if I’m looking at my phone at night or lying in my bed looking at a piece of paper, I prefer the paper. I also collected each navigator and that became a part of our photo album. Yes call me old-fashioned but I still printed photos of our vacation out and put in an album. I guess on our next cruise out just have to go down the guest services and get a copy of a navigator I just really hope they do not stop these altogether

As much as we use the app on our cruise I really love the paper navigators. For me there’s it is a difference if I’m looking at my phone at night or lying in my bed looking at a piece of paper, I prefer the paper. I also collected each navigator and that became a part of our photo album. Yes call me old-fashioned but I still printed photos of our vacation out and put in an album. I guess on our next cruise out just have to go down the guest services and get a copy of a navigator I just really hope they do not stop these altogether

Probably not altogether, but as it is a big cost factor for something most people will throw away, I can imagine they stop delivering it to each cabin.

And it is good on the list of sustainable things a company can do.

Hi, thanks for the Dream updates, I am not tech savvy and usually do not turn my phone on while on the cruise to avoid roaming charges, Does the app work on a tablet and will it use up a lot of data?

Hi, thanks for the Dream updates, I am not tech savvy and usually do not turn my phone on while on the cruise to avoid roaming charges, Does the app work on a tablet and will it use up a lot of data?
To use the app on your phone, you put the phone in airplane mode, turn on wifi, and connect to the DCL-guest network. Use of the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app is free.

Here is a link to DCL's info on the app: https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/featured/navigator-app/

Probably shouldn't admit this if doing away with the paper navigator is about going green, but one of DH's responsibilities when we cruise has always been swinging by guest services and picking up a navigator each evening. That way I could mark up, fold, and carry around the one left in the room plus I had a nice one to take home. I'm glad to hear they're still available at guest services. I hope that continues to be the case.

We were on the Fantasy last week (just got home). No paper navigators for us either. I picked one up every morning (had to explain that I didn't go on vacation to stare at my phone all day to several different guest services folks). By day 3, I started getting the paper Navigator in my room. I assume that our steward noticed that I was picking one up each morning and decided to save me the effort. I asked about why they had made the change and Guest Services simply said they were trying to get people to use the app. No one mentioned going green. That explanation would ring hollow to me because they still print out the port maps showing you how to get to the shops that have paid their fee to DCL. If saving trees were the concern, then surely the maps should be digital too.

It is interesting to me that you still got lotion on the Dream. We didn't get any the whole week, so I assumed DCL has decided to save money by not giving people lotion anymore. I would up having to buy some in the gift shop.

We were on the same cruise (and still are on the Dream atm). Some other differences from the rest of the fleet :

- Dream still has a breakfast buffet in Enchanted Garden. It’s the only one left.
- They still use the old and mostly disliked Pirate menu. It was replaced on Fantasy and Wonder by a regular menu.
- The breakfast options in Cabanas are much less varied than on the other ships. They repeat from one station to the next.
- They still have the signs next to the drink stations asking you not to use refillable personal cups. On other ships, they have either the ‘do not touch the nozzle’ or ‘use a paper cup’ signs.
- CC day on Dream is much less hectic than on our NYE cruise on Fantasy. Maybe the ship is less full. I’m writing this from the first family beach and half the chairs around us are available. On Fantasy, the line to get off the ship was going up to the third floor.

I would guess it will take some time to re-fit all of the bathrooms to have the dispensers.

I was disappointed to hear that about the navigators but glad they're still available at guest services. Not only do I like having a paper one to look at myself, but I enjoyed looking at the navigators from previous cruises to do some planning.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter