Just off the Dream...a few interesting points

ONE MILLION BOTTLES a la Dr. Evil
maxresdefault.jpg

Been keeping tabs on all of this, as we were on the Fantasy 2/23-3/2, apparently the last cruise before the changes to the Personal Navigators, plastic shopping bags, and toiletries.

I'm pretty upset about the first two, but can live with the toiletry deal. My opinions:

- On the Navigators, like many have said, I want to be on my phone as little as possible while on vacation. We did use the app on the ship, and it was convenient, but it did not replace the Navigator.

- I'm not against "reusable bags"; I just think that retailers should provide customers with a bag if they make a purchase, on principle. If that's one of these reusable bags, then I'm fine with it. Just price it in. I hate feeling nickel and dimed, and charging $1 for reusable bags does exactly that. It's not about the $1. As for the environmental impact of this switch, I've read research that indicates the number of times that the reusable bags need to be used compared to a plastic bag to have an 'equal' environmental impact is quite a bit more. How often are these reusable bags actually reused? They certainly aren't built to last forever. Who is going to remember to bring their reusable bags on their next cruise? Aren't customers just going to buy new ones? For us, personally, plastic bags are far more useful and live many more lives at home than the cheap $1 reusable ones. And a few extra plastic bags are especially useful when packing. I do realize that I can just bring items back to my stateroom (although it's not all that close if we're Deck 9 Aft, like this last cruise), and/or bring our drawstring bag/backpack to throw merchandise in. But the whole thing just rubs me the wrong way, and clearly makes Disney more money.

- I think the toiletries are far and away the most wasteful of all, so I can see a legitimate case for the large dispensers.

I wrote to DCL expressing my concern about the Personal Navigators and the shopping bag deal. Even though it didn't impact our last cruise, we are booked for next March and I want them to know that hearing about these little cuts/changes dims our view of DCL. Here was (the important part of) their response (emphasis added by me):

"At Disney Cruise Line, we are dedicated to providing our Guests with a world-class experience, as well as minimizing our impact on the environment. Our Guests have overwhelmingly shared that they prefer the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app to view all of the available cruise activities. As a result, we have launched a test in which we will temporarily suspend delivery of printed Personal Navigators in Guest staterooms. Printed Personal Navigators will be available at Guest Services.

At this time, we are still providing Guests with paper maps of Disney's Castaway Cay. Additionally, as the information provided in the Port Shopping Maps is not currently available on the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app, these paper items will still be delivered to Guest staterooms. Please note that the Disney Cruise Line Navigator app will only work while onboard a Disney Cruise Line ship or at Disney Castaway Cay.

Additionally, in an effort to reduce the amount of single-use plastic items on board our ships, we are launching a new reusable shopping bag program that eliminates plastic bags on our ships and at Disney Castaway Cay. Guests now have the option to purchase reusable shopping bags for $1.

We apologize for your disappointment with these changes, and we appreciate the time you have taken to share your comments with us. Your feedback will certainly be taken into consideration. Not all of the ideas we explore become a part of our operation. The feedback we receive from our Guests is very important to us as it lets us know what we are doing right, as well as how we can improve. We will continue to strive to provide our Guests with the finest vacation and entertainment experiences, and are grateful for your valuable input to help us achieve that goal."

Pretty much what I would expect, though I was surprised to hear them claim that guests "overwhelmingly" prefer the app... Again, I *like* the app. But I use it in concert with the Navigator. I don't believe it's a replacement. The Navigators need to be provided or easily accessible, period.

Glad that my "feedback will be taken into consideration"...

How have guests "overwhelmingly shared that they prefer the Navigator app"? Are they inferring this from the surveys? We may have given positive remarks regarding the app, but we do not consider it a replacement for the paper navigator! I was already slightly unhappy that it had become one page instead of a booklet. I am upset about these changes; but, I feel encouraged that they may take guest opinions into consideration if we write to them and express our views - so, I guess I will do that..........

Interesting to read that this is a test. "As a result, we have launched a test in which we will temporarily suspend delivery of printed Personal Navigators in Guest staterooms."

So if enough people complain about the lack of a printed Navigator sounds like they'll restart the delivery to each stateroom.

I suspected this might be the case. It’s that time of year when DCL seems to try wacky things (double shows, anyone?). If enough folks complain, perhaps it will be short-lived.
Except they tried double shows in peak season!

I will certainly write about a lack of paper navigators next week if they are still trying it.

I hate feeling nickel and dimed, and charging $1 for reusable bags does exactly that. It's not about the $1. As for the environmental impact of this switch, I've read research that indicates the number of times that the reusable bags need to be used compared to a plastic bag to have an 'equal' environmental impact is quite a bit more. How often are these reusable bags actually reused?

If you automatically get a reusable bag every time you make a purchase, you are probably less likely to re-use it. Charging even a small amount for a reusable bag makes people think twice about even getting a bag and, if you've paid for it, you're less like to toss it out and may feel like you should use it again. Very few places where I live provide plastic bags without a charge (usually five cents) and only upon request and most people shop with reusable bags. It's just become a way of life. Both DH and I each have a bag of bags in our car and I carry a reusable bag in my backpack all the time. It's a painful and annoying changeover for most people but it becomes routine after a while.

Just to be clear, the $50 stateroom credit was only to potentially new purchases and you had to sit through a second meeting to earn it right?

If you automatically get a reusable bag every time you make a purchase, you are probably less likely to re-use it. Charging even a small amount for a reusable bag makes people think twice about even getting a bag and, if you've paid for it, you're less like to toss it out and may feel like you should use it again.
This is a fair point, I do understand the behavioral/nudge factor here. I guess my bigger issue is that there's no conclusive evidence that these reusable bags are actually better for the environment (it depends on how people actually use/dispose of them compared to plastic ones), and above all Disney is coming out ahead financially.

Here in Nebraska plastic bags are readily provided at no charge. However, we still use mostly reusable bags at our grocery store; they provide a 5 cent off incentive per reusable bags used. On vacation, it's just one more thing to remember (and there's a lot to consider for a cruise anyway), so it still feels like nickel/diming to me. But again, I understand what you're saying.

Lastly, of the 3 changes I wrote about, the bags are a distant second to the Personal Navigators for me. Even though the bag part of my initial post was the longest, it's not anywhere close to the Navigator issue for me. I can adjust to that reasonably enough, and understand all sides quite a bit more. The Navigators, not so much.

My Daughter and I just disembarked from the Dream yesterday. We were located on deck 5 forward and our stateroom still had individual size shampoo, conditioner, lotion and bar soap. They no longer deliver the daily Navigator to your room each evening. If you would like one they have them set out a guest services. I am not sure if this is new, but we last sailed on the Fantasy 2 months ago and still received it. I understand they want people to use the app, but personally I like having a paper Navigator. Gift shops had made the switch to purchasing bags for your purchase. I was also surprised to see that Shutters still prints all of your photographs on the Dream. This was not the case on the Fantasy and I don't recall them printing them on the Magic when we last sailed in 2017.
We were on the same cruise...deck 9. We had the big bottles and body wash. I also like the paper navigator much better....and what a waste with the photos.

Interesting to read that this is a test. "As a result, we have launched a test in which we will temporarily suspend delivery of printed Personal Navigators in Guest staterooms."

So if enough people complain about the lack of a printed Navigator sounds like they'll restart the delivery to each stateroom.
Yes! Write a letter. I did.

The guest services rep said they print around 6:30-7p nightly.
That’s great. My response from shoreside said they wouldn’t be available until the morning. And it wasn’t quite as friendly as the one posted upthread.

Last edited:
Carly the CD. Unimpressed

I agree...Deano should take over!

They need all the table cloths to cover the spills that happened nightly at my table due to no lids and straws for my 2 year old.:sad2:

My 2yo spilled a couple times...and its hard for a 2yo to keep the crayons from writing all over it. Our server had paper straws ready after the first night so glad those were available.

That’s great. My response from shoreside said they wouldn’t be available until the morning. And it wasn’t quite as friendly as the one posted ipthread.
He gave it to me and suggested that I use the app...it was almost like he was passing me a piece of gold over the counter.

And another thought (for anyone who is planning to write) - we like to carry the navigator off the ship while in port to remind us what we might like to be back onboard in time for. That won’t work with the non working app shoreside

Last edited:
And another thought (for anyone who is planning to write) - we like to carry the navigator off the ship to remind us what we might like to be back onboard for. That won’t work with the non working app shoreside
I thought of this after writing to DCL as well... We have a nice collection of the daily activities to reflect on and remember our trip by. The app doesn't offer this at all. Unless you screenshot everything!

For anyone who has recently sailed do you get three “Disney musicals” on the four night please.

Thank you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter