Just returned from 4 night concierge on Disney Dream...AMA

Thanks! We've had all three before and they are all great!
Agree...they are awesome. Danny (my fave) was on vacation for our cruise earlier this year and I guess Ashley was on vacation for yours. Angeline is an angel. Have not had Raphael as our bartender. DH and I love getting wine to take to dinner...fill er up!

Agree...they are awesome. Danny (my fave) was on vacation for our cruise earlier this year and I guess Ashley was on vacation for yours. Angeline is an angel. Have not had Raphael as our bartender. DH and I love getting wine to take to dinner...fill er up!

Raphael said that he spends a lot of time on the Magic.

Are you allowed to take a glass of wine INTO your MDR dinner? I was figuring we'd have to finish our drinks in the concierge lounge and then go to dinner....

We have been told we could. People purchase wine at the bars to bring in to the Mdr so it’s basicly the same.

You sure can. Two years ago (my last trip), I got a scotch at the happy hour to carry into the MDR. He poured me a literal pint glass full of scotch. It was a bit excessive.

That said, seeing that the happy hour is now 5 hours instead of just 45 min before dining is pretty nice.

Any idea of the type of wines they have in the lounge? We are "mini" wine snobs, meaning it doesn't need to be a $100+ bottle of wine from Napa to enjoy, but would definitely prefer something slightly better than $9 bottle from the central coast. I know we'll be bringing some on board, just didn't know if anyone here had an idea of what is carried.

My wife and I are beer drinkers, not wine drinkers, but if the level of beer is any indication -- it's about on par with the rest of the ships offerings. Nothing really great, but at least a few options that aren't god-awful.

Are you allowed to take a glass of wine INTO your MDR dinner? I was figuring we'd have to finish our drinks in the concierge lounge and then go to dinner....
I did it every night--bartender filled me all the way up, so it was the equivalent of two glasses. Even took a glass into Palo, where the server insisted in pouring it into a different wine glass that's more suitable for reds.

Any idea of the type of wines they have in the lounge? We are "mini" wine snobs, meaning it doesn't need to be a $100+ bottle of wine from Napa to enjoy, but would definitely prefer something slightly better than $9 bottle from the central coast. I know we'll be bringing some on board, just didn't know if anyone here had an idea of what is carried.

They've got a little bit of all kinds of varieties (cab, pinot noir, chardonnay, pinot grigio, moscato, etc). I don't remember exact labels, but they were wines you'd pay about $15/bottle for at Costco. So nothing really fancy, but nothing cheap either.

They've got a little bit of all kinds of varieties (cab, pinot noir, chardonnay, pinot grigio, moscato, etc). I don't remember exact labels, but they were wines you'd pay about $15/bottle for at Costco. So nothing really fancy, but nothing cheap either.
Odd question but do you remember if they had Maker's Mark at the 'happy hour' in Concierge. That would make my mother's day. :)

You sure can. Two years ago (my last trip), I got a scotch at the happy hour to carry into the MDR. He poured me a literal pint glass full of scotch. It was a bit excessive.

That said, seeing that the happy hour is now 5 hours instead of just 45 min before dining is pretty nice.

is happy hour only for concierge or is it something that happens in all bars and lounges?

is happy hour only for concierge or is it something that happens in all bars and lounges?

If you're concierge, the lounge has free cocktails/wine/beer from 5pm to 10pm every night. As I overheard our bartender tell a lady, "you're not driving anywhere tonight", so you might as well take advantage if you're so inclined.

For non-concierge, you must pay for alcoholic beverages at all times. There are occasionally drink specials, but no such thing as free. Soft drinks, on the other hand, are free 24 hours to everyone on board at the drink stations.

We noticed a lot of Kendall-Jackson wines. The cab was not bad...imo.

Hi Volfan, thanks for offering to answer questions. It has been over 12 years since we have been on a Disney cruise and we are splurging next August! Can you tell me how the pre help worked for you? We are obviously super green when it comes to Disney cruise knowledge and have two families including 4 teens going. I’m hoping they can help me figure out activities and dining.

One more question, what type of food can we expect on embarkation? Given it's our first cruise we planned to board early and head to cabanas, which looks very good from a food perspective, but also a very hectic way to start the trip.

Wondering what the food in the lounge is like that first day and if it makes more sense to board early, snack/eat there, tour the ship and maybe stop in cabanas to check it out early afternoon.

There is no open bar outside of the concierge lounge.

Place for free or reduced drinks:
Gold/Platinum reception (if you are Gold/Platinum and if one is offered on your cruise)
Captain's Reception (if one is offered on your cruise)
DVC presentation (there are likely to be several)
The bars on ship and CC sometimes offer a 2-for-1 special
Skyline Bar on the Fantasy offers a passport that gets you 7 drinks for the price of 6
The Drink of the Day
Sommelier's Bin - a glass of wine for $10. You may choose white, red or sparkling and the wine you get will be above $10 per glass normally.

One more question, what type of food can we expect on embarkation? Given it's our first cruise we planned to board early and head to cabanas, which looks very good from a food perspective, but also a very hectic way to start the trip.

Wondering what the food in the lounge is like that first day and if it makes more sense to board early, snack/eat there, tour the ship and maybe stop in cabanas to check it out early afternoon.

There will be little finger sandwiches, small portions of salads, some cheese, fruits, small vegetables and an ample array of sweets. I would plan to dine at Cabanas or in whatever mdr is being served for embarkation. The lounge offerings remind me of tea party type things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!