Just returned/planning another

DianeRD

Mouseketeer
We just returned from our two and a half week trip to FW.We absolutely enjoyed every moment.Now we are seriously thinking of a whole month in July.Besides the heat what are the pros and cons of being there in July? :cool:

We're going to be there from 7/13-7/20 because it's the only time all of us can take an extended trip (we'll be doing a side trip to see family in Mississippi, too). Hoping for a good time in spite of the heat :cool: We have AC in our RV, and it will get lots of use, I'm sure.

This will be our first trip at that time of year, but I have heard that it rains frequently in the afternoon, so ponchos are a definite must.

Have fun - a whole month - WOW!! Maybe we'll see you there :)

I'm glad you had a great trip! We have been to FW in August and had a great time. This year we are going in July, for the first time. The pros of going in the summer would be... the parks are open late, the fireworks and spectromagic happen every day, it's more fun to go swimming. I think the cons are that it is more crowded, it rains alot(songbert is right about the ponchos), and the cost of the campsite is more than off season. We still have alot of fun in the summer, we usually leave the parks by noon, go back to FW to cool off and swim, than return to parks.
Do you have an airconditioner in your camper?

Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain Rain

We went for 10 days in 2001 and 7 days in 2002 for My DDs BD. We will not be going in July in 2003. Of the 17 days we were there it rained 14 days. You are right it will be very hot and humid. A/C is a must. It is also more buggy that time of year and the parks are more crowded. It is also hurricane season but I would not worry too much about that. We still had a lot of fun but after going in the cooler, dryer months we will be skipping July, August and September.

instead of July, prices drop dramatically for campsites beginning Aug. 3. We're booked Aug 3-??(three days before I have to go back to school!), because we went last August and loved it. Only had one real evening of rain (not counting that every day little rainburst in the late afternoon), and, when it's so hot, who cares? (Friends who went in June were disappointed, though, due to huge quantities of rain...) Park hours are extremely long, there's tons to do at Ft. W., and RV and rides are all a.c.. Loved it, can't wait to go back!
Terri the Yoopermom

Yes,Camper,we do have air.(I just noticed that you are from Maine also.:p )

We would love to be able to go in October but that is not an option for us.I would have to quit my job because I know the school dept. would never give me time off.So summer it is for us if we want some extended vacation time.We bought APs just for that reason while we were there in December.

We absolutely loved FW and enjoyed it more than staying in the hotels as we have in the past.(I never thought I would be saying that)The heat and a bit of rain each day does not bother me but lots of insects and snakes do bother me.I'm wondering how bad they are in the summer at FW.My DH doesn't think it will be a problem but I do wonder about it.

I have heard that WDW is very good about spraying to keep down the insect population (after all, most of WDW used to be a swamp!!). The only critters I've heard about are bunnies and armadillos - no snakes :bounce:

We have to go in July for the same reasons; my husband works at a university in Massachusetts and my son is still in high school.

Maybe we'll see you there. We've booked our reservations through AAA and have requested the 800 loop.

I have never seen a snake at the campground. I am sure there must be some but they are not a problem at all. Insects on the other hand can be.

It really depends on the weather. If it is just the normal afternoon thunder storms the CM will still spray and that takes care of the problem for the most part. However, if you are getting a lot of all day kind of rain the CMs do not spray because the rain makes it useless.

Overall I think Disney does a great job of controlling mosquitos. Try visiting one of our state parks at this time of year and you will be eaten alive.

Yes, there are snakes in the campground. As a matter of fact we watched two of them on our last visit.

But fear not, they tend to stay in the swampy areas looking for a meal. I have never seen on on a campsite.

Songbert and camper and maybe DianeRD-

We'll be there the 8-15th. See you there!
Have you ever done the hoop-de-do? We are going the nite of the 13th. I think I will take your advice about the ponchos, but what about umbrellas? Any pros or cons to that????
Wow DianeRD! A whole month-how exciting!

hayesmama

P.S. What about having the AC on at nite?? Do they have any kind of quiet policy (although ours is not loud at all)?

Originally posted by hayesmama
What about having the AC on at nite?? Do they have any kind of quiet policy (although ours is not loud at all)?

Nope, run the AC all the time! Remember it's Florida:eek:

The Hoop De Doo Revue is a lot of fun, and though it's been several years since we went, we plan on going this time.

As for umbrellas - there is always the risk of someone getting poked; I think ponchos are easier to navigate in when the parks are crowded. Just remember to bring ziploc bags along to put them in when the rain stops, then dry them out when you get back to camp.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter