JW Marriott Bonnet Creek vs. Swan/Dolphin

quinacciani

Mouseketeer
Just returned from Disney and already planning the next trip! We are considering a March or April trip, but the only way we can make this happen budget wise is to use our Marriott Bonvoy points for 5 nights. All 3 resorts have dates for 50k per night (sometimes fluctuate to 60k per night but I would play around with dates until I get it at 50k per night.

Here are my hesitations to emptying our points account instead of saving them for a non-Disney trip, which is where we usually use them.
  1. We literally just got back and have never gone more than 1x per year. Worried that there won't be enough "new" or at least reopened by then. We are used to at least some kind of new ride or restaurant each trip, and the revisiting favorites the rest of the time. So hard to know what will reopen by then!
  2. JW Marriott is brand new, looks STUNNING, but is off property. We will have a car so transportation is not an issue. Swan/Dolphin would allow us to walk to Epcot and HS (or boat if they are running) so that is part of the appeal.
  3. Will we miss staying off property when we have typically stayed at DS resorts? We stayed offsite once at Sheraton Vistana and missed it a bit.
  4. Swan/Dolphin have never excited me theme wise. The appeal here is the proximately and ability to use points. We have had family stay at both and all had good experiences however.
  5. JW Marriott has an adults-only pool which is a big plus for us.
  6. JW has not committed to Disney benefits including EMH, FP+ etc. as it just opened in July. If these still aren't back, this is a non-issue. But would hate to book here and have these benefits come back and miss out.
Would love any insights anyone has!

Shocked they cost the same. JW hands down.

If Fastpass does come back, they are both Good Neighbor, so that's a non issue. If you plan to go to Magic Kingdom, Swolphin don't really have a location advantage even. I guess if you plan to mostly go to Epcot/HS?

The other thing to consider is the park reservations, as HS has been filling up. You need to buy (non-refundable) tickets at least semi-beforehand and then book the parks. That's a lot of commitment right now.

I can't say I would use the points for a Disney trip at all right now. I'd find a nice resort in a gorgeous location that isn't a theme park and use them there. We're a Hyatt family, so can't help you there, but we spent our points on a lazy river and it was glorious.

If Fastpass does come back, they are both Good Neighbor, so that's a non issue. If you plan to go to Magic Kingdom, Swolphin don't really have a location advantage even. I guess if you plan

Good Neighbor hotels don't automatically get FP+ or EMH benefits. Only a few hotels get those benefits. DS hotels, S/D I think one or more Bonnet Creek hotels. Not time share resort.

We don't know if JW Marriott will offer those perks, when and if Disney reinstates those perks.

Wow! Guess you're right, it was never confirmed as Good Neighbor! I would totally expect that to happen, but yea, hasn't happened yet...

Shocked they cost the same. JW hands down.

If Fastpass does come back, they are both Good Neighbor, so that's a non issue. If you plan to go to Magic Kingdom, Swolphin don't really have a location advantage even. I guess if you plan to mostly go to Epcot/HS?

The other thing to consider is the park reservations, as HS has been filling up. You need to buy (non-refundable) tickets at least semi-beforehand and then book the parks. That's a lot of commitment right now.

I can't say I would use the points for a Disney trip at all right now. I'd find a nice resort in a gorgeous location that isn't a theme park and use them there. We're a Hyatt family, so can't help you there, but we spent our points on a lazy river and it was glorious.
Ah yes thank you for reminding me of this. This is exactly why I booked directly through Disney for our past trip, even though I would have saved money renting DVC points at another resort. The generous cancellation policy outweighed the savings. I will have to think on the tickets piece!

Just returned from Disney and already planning the next trip! We are considering a March or April trip, but the only way we can make this happen budget wise is to use our Marriott Bonvoy points for 5 nights. All 3 resorts have dates for 50k per night (sometimes fluctuate to 60k per night but I would play around with dates until I get it at 50k per night.

Here are my hesitations to emptying our points account instead of saving them for a non-Disney trip, which is where we usually use them.
  1. We literally just got back and have never gone more than 1x per year. Worried that there won't be enough "new" or at least reopened by then. We are used to at least some kind of new ride or restaurant each trip, and the revisiting favorites the rest of the time. So hard to know what will reopen by then!
  2. JW Marriott is brand new, looks STUNNING, but is off property. We will have a car so transportation is not an issue. Swan/Dolphin would allow us to walk to Epcot and HS (or boat if they are running) so that is part of the appeal.
  3. Will we miss staying off property when we have typically stayed at DS resorts? We stayed offsite once at Sheraton Vistana and missed it a bit.
  4. Swan/Dolphin have never excited me theme wise. The appeal here is the proximately and ability to use points. We have had family stay at both and all had good experiences however.
  5. JW Marriott has an adults-only pool which is a big plus for us.
  6. JW has not committed to Disney benefits including EMH, FP+ etc. as it just opened in July. If these still aren't back, this is a non-issue. But would hate to book here and have these benefits come back and miss out.
Would love any insights anyone has!
Can't you do a split stay.

SWolphin used to be top of the line but rooms are tiny and it's a far walk/boat ride to Epcot which annoys me since it's in that corner. But it is convenient.

If you did a split stay then you could use Swoplhin for days you are at Epcot/DHS.
And then Marriott for days you are at MK and AK.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter