Kaitlyn & Christian Wishes Japan/GM Lounge- 12/1/2019

kaitrex93

Earning My Ears
HELLO!
It's been exactly 44 days since my dream Disneyland Proposal
& the ball is already rolling for our dream Disney Fairytale Wedding! :rotfl:
I hesitated at first about starting this thread already because my date/venues aren't 100% confirmed yet,
but I am pretty confident that it will all work out as planned... so more on that in a bit!

*INSERT SHORT BIO HERE*
I'm Kaitlyn, I'm 25 and a California transplant in San Antonio, TX. I do nails (@glazenaillounge), have a "slightly unhealthy" obsession with Disney:earboy2:, and cats:cat:, and the amount of times I've visited the parks? (CA/FL respectively) I couldn't even tell you... My Fiance's name is Christian (25) and we've been together for what will be 8 years in December (18th), making us high school sweethearts. We moved to Texas 5 years ago, when Christian got picked up to play D1 baseball at UIW, to make things short, our little life we've built here is very good.:flower3:

(this is us all the way back in 2011 during our Senior Year... in all our baby glory:rolleyes:)

(these are some of our amazing engagement photos at Disneyland that
Chris, my mom, and MOH surprised me with during our trip!):cloud9:
BLESSED BE THY GLOW UP:worship:
If you're in the Anaheim area A&C Photography is amazing to work with!

(Nothing else about our lives is necessarily important for this, so if you have questions, by all means ask away,
but i'll save us all the reading time and jump to the juicy stuff, so sit back, relax and enjoy my ramblings.)

popcorn::
THE PROPOSAL
To say that I had no idea about the proposal would be a flat out lie, I knew... but I didn't. We had gone to look at rings together, back in July, and a friend had MENTIONED a possible proposal during our family trip to Disneyland, but I am one to not want to assume... because ASSuming makes an A** out of YOU and ME y'all. :rotfl:
I messed up the original plan by making the group start the day in Disneyland instead of California Adventures, WHOOPS:laughing:

(he had planned on proposing to me on the main street of Carsland- we both LOVE Cars,
I mentioned in passing a while back that would be so unique, and I KNEW I did not want a castle proposal)
WELL, that didn't happen, but what DID happen quite honestly was even BETTER. We had spent the majority of the afternoon in Disney and had just finished eating lunch when everyone INSISTED we finally head to CA. I was suspicious, but it worked out for them because I was completely unsuspecting when we were leaving the park and passed by the giant Mickey pumpkin at the center of Main Street. The line was surprisingly short for pictures BUT, it was because the day parade was about to start, the cast member at the end of the line told us we couldn't get a picture, I just walked off with my mom, but while I did that Christian, his mom and my BFF Emma were still in line trying to convince the lady to let us take the picture.
SIDENOTE: I'm typically a very observant person, catch on quickly to things,
and it kills me how UNAWARE I was of what was happening
:rolleyes1
APPARENTLY, from what I've been told they told the lady Christian was trying to propose, and BEGGED her to get the photo, she went over to talk to the photographer and he agreed, so she came over and told our group that we could get a fast photo, but we needed to hurry because you could LITERALLY see the band at the end of the street by the castle. My mom insisted we grab a photo alone first, which I rolled my eyes at because we were trying to be FAST, HELLO! :sad2: So I run over to get a quick photo (I didn't even take off my backpack:scared:), and we pose for a few, and then the photogrpaher says "okay pose back to back" which I didn't question EITHER, because they always have you do different poses for photopass, RIGHT? well low and behold, I'm the only one posing, and then I hear "Kaitlyn..." and then I BLACKED OUT you guys! I remember NOTHING about the proposal, besides the ring being put on my dang finger!!

So! Here is the video, to watch it in action LOL:rotfl2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJOj8JUzpbw
It was perfect, nothing could top it, a prime disneyland proposal any girl would dream of. :lovestruc

Last edited:
I knew I was going to be a Disney Bride, Before I became a Disney Bride.

So, I've always dreamt of a Disney Wedding, but like in the sense that it would be my dream if I had an unlimited budget, and knowing myself, I knew it wouldn't be cheap because i like the finer things in life, the ones with multiple $$$$. Watching Disney Fairytale Weddings on Freeform this past year (specifically the Christmas Special) It made my heart yearn even more for one! My two favorite things, Disney & Christmas! Also I honestly didn't even know for certain that Christian would want one. He has only been to Disney maybe three or four times (the last two times with me and that's been within the past two years, prior to that he hadn't been to Disneyland since BEFORE CA was there!:scared:) I spoke to my mama offhand about it, having already looked into pricing etc. (Thanks Disboards to pointing me in the direction of Carrie's super helpful guide!) When I threw out some numbers, my mom AND DAD surprisingly didn't flinch and a glimmer of hope grew in my tiny little cold heart.

(bless their hearts, and wallets for covering majority of the wedding)
:Pinkbounc
I knew from all my research that booking your wedding with Disney was high stakes with their lottery system, but I'm feeling pretty confident that it will work out for me in my favor for multiple reasons:
1. I want our ceremony in the Japan Pavilion- my family & his both have Japanese heritage and that seems very special for us.

(This, though a beautiful venue, is not as popular as others *cough* Wedding Pavilion *cough*)
2. I wanted a Brunch wedding (MY LOVE FOR WAFFLES, SPECIFICALLY MICKEY SHAPED ONES RUNS DEEP), therefore we would be doing our ceremony at 9am (not a HOT time slot assuming most aren't morning people)
3. I want our reception in the GM Lounge, because, well hello have you seen those views?!
4. Though I'm not positive, my wedding date (Dec 1st) is the weekend right after Thanksgiving, and I don't assume a lot of people would be clamoring for that day, I could be wrong, but let's hope that I'm not.

I reached out to Disney Fairytale Weddings THE DAY I got back from our Disneyland Trip, because
a- I asked (told) Chris about wanting a Disney wedding, I honestly think he has always known this could be a possibility and wasn't THAT surprised when we talked about it.
b- I knew all I needed to get the ball rolling ie. a 10 page long word document of notes taken from Carrie's guide.
c- I AM SO IMPATIENT Y'ALL IT'S BEEN 8 YEARS I AM READY TO MARRY THIS MAN.:love:

When I called, I was informed that I had already had a consultant assigned to me back in August... I told them that was impossible because this was the first time I was calling, and assumed my mother had contacted them jumping the gun on our engagement (because that is my mom, that is what she does), but then remembered I had sent them an email inquiring about dates back in August (because I am becoming my mother), but never received a response, and just assumed I went to spam and would wait til it was ACTUALLY time. So after figuring all that out, I learned that my coordinator was Kristi and that I could have a phone consultation set up for the following week.

:jumping1:
The day finally came for my phone consultation, Kristi was so sweet and helpful and had a lot of information, most that I already knew, but didn't want to sound like a crazy person, so I just let her talk. I told her what I kind of wanted and that was that. THE WAIT IS THE WORST PART. because they can't confirm dates sooner than exactly a year out I am still waiting for my confirmation...19 more long days because she can't submit my bid until the 2nd since she doesn't work on Sundays.. okay.:snooty:
This is my only concern I have after having our first consultation- my reception venue. Because she did tell me there might be a chance I couldn't get it because Disney has to get permission from GM to use it, but then backtracked and said since I want it on a Sunday, I should be in the clear.
Y'ALL PRAY FOR ME BECAUSE I REALLY DON'T WANT TO USE A BALLROOM. :sad:

that's it that's all... stay tuned for more:smooth:
one more photo for the road, because I can't help myself.

Last edited:
The Overly Prepared Game Plan: I am going to struggle this whole time.
To say that I am an over-planner is an understatement. I am also impulsive, I second guess myself, and struggle to keep my expectations realistic.
Now, though this sounds like a pity party for myself, let me balance that out with a list of things I'm good at: I'm ridiculously organized, my lists have their own lists, I'm a wonderful wrangler when it comes to controlling large groups, and I'm going to backtrack and say I'm an over-planner again, because honestly with such a large event, that has to be a positive attribute. I can't get it out of my head what my coordinator said to me during our phone call, how some people contact her and have NO IDEA what they want, just that they know they want a Disney wedding. I FIND THAT INSANE.

Here is a list of overly detailed things I KNOW I want for our big day:

• I want to be facing the lake in the Japan Pavilion right in front of the Torii Gate where you can see Spaceship Earth almost directly in the middle of it.
  • I want Beethoven's 5 Secrets by the Piano Guys to be playing during the procession, and the wedding party with walk out at slightly specific times- I specifically want to walk out at the crescendo at 2:15 with my dad. (is that psychotically specific? YES.)but music has always been a big part of my life, and I want to have something I can go back and listen to and remember THAT moment, and that MAKES it for me. So whatever I gotta do to make that roll, I WILL DO IT.:cool2: I Highly suggest you take a listen if you're into the following: mashups, classical music, One Republic, feeling all the feels.
  • I am not a flower girl, I am a BALLOON girl! I want tons of balloon arches filling the GM Lounge, to give it dimension since it is quite empty decor wise, clean lines and balloons! I ALSO want a balloon boy instead of a flower girl... but that still needs some ironing out LOL
  • speaking of decor, Japanese tradition is 1,000 paper cranes. we must fold 1,000 for good luck & they must be somewhere at the wedding, TBD.
  • We MUST have characters, I need Goofy (Christian's Favorite) and I still can't settle on who to accompany him... IDEAS??
  • we will do a sake shot instead of a champagne toast, because, well I just like different ok?
  • COLORS? well this is a long one: FIRST I thought I wanted to do the colors of the fairies from Sleeping Beauty (green, blue, pink[red]) but in winter shades since it is December, regardless of it being Florida, so navy, sage & mauve, then I thought take it one step further and have each bridesmaid in a single color so I would have my own squad of fairies on my big day;princess: well as of 36 hours ago I've finally scrapped that, and added two more bridesmaids making it 5 and have settled on black, white, and emerald (and throw some silver and champagne in there as metallics). Classic, yet festive. :thumbsup2
do you now see what I am talking about? What my planner will be dealing with once we actually START planning?? bless her seriously.
IDK how I will be handling NOT handling things, I'm sure may brides love not dealing with vendors, and having that help and direction, but as of right now I am a mess... but who knows maybe in the end I'll be so so glad I didn't have to deal with all that it will entail. :duck:

I've decided I'm signing off with an engagement photo every post now, because I can't help myself.:rolleyes2

Last edited:
Years ago, me and my mom folded 1,000 cranes for a sick friend, we made strings with 25 cranes per string and hung them around her hospital bedroom. We had made some strings with white only, the others with all kinds of colors and it looked really cool.

Once your fingers know how to fold it, you can do it in your sleep. Whenever you just sit and watch tv, start folding.

Well I already love you and cried watching your video and we're best friends now :rotfl: I can't wait to follow along on your journey and see all your plans! I'm very much a Type A Planner. I just feel more at ease when I have a plan and backup plan and backup backup plan. I'll have my fingers crossed for you on the 2nd sending good vibes that you get your venues!

Years ago, me and my mom folded 1,000 cranes for a sick friend, we made strings with 25 cranes per string and hung them around her hospital bedroom. We had made some strings with white only, the others with all kinds of colors and it looked really cool.

Once your fingers know how to fold it, you can do it in your sleep. Whenever you just sit and watch tv, start folding.

oh that's so special I love that! and that's good to hear, i used to do origami with my baachan but its been AGES so I hope I can pick it up quickly again. Luckily my family has all offered to help fold which will make them even more special. IT TAKES A VILLAGE RIGHT?? lol

Well I already love you and cried watching your video and we're best friends now :rotfl: I can't wait to follow along on your journey and see all your plans! I'm very much a Type A Planner. I just feel more at ease when I have a plan and backup plan and backup backup plan. I'll have my fingers crossed for you on the 2nd sending good vibes that you get your venues!

OMG you're going to make ME cry, you're too sweet, I love that okay HI BFF!!:yay::yay: Idk why i do it to myself, I watch it like at least once a week and always get teary eyed, I wish sometimes my soon-to-be father-in-law was close enough to get what Christian said during because I can't remember!!:sad: Thanks for following along, I'm so glad I'm not alone haha and yes all my backup plans have backup plans too :smooth:
thank you thank you, I will update as soon as I find out!!

oh that's so special I love that! and that's good to hear, i used to do origami with my baachan but its been AGES so I hope I can pick it up quickly again. Luckily my family has all offered to help fold which will make them even more special. IT TAKES A VILLAGE RIGHT?? lol

Oh, definitely, but you have time, if you have half an hour to spare, and you fold a few, you will be fine by the time your wedding day arrives, paper doesn't go bad, you only need a place to store them. I've got one question, how do you plan to get them to WDW? They don't weigh much, but they are fragile and take up a lot of space. Box them all and ship it?

Oh, definitely, but you have time, if you have half an hour to spare, and you fold a few, you will be fine by the time your wedding day arrives, paper doesn't go bad, you only need a place to store them. I've got one question, how do you plan to get them to WDW? They don't weigh much, but they are fragile and take up a lot of space. Box them all and ship it?

we haven't started yet, and I have to discuss what we are going to do with them with the Floral & Deign department so that hasn't been decided yet, probably boxed and shipped idk if i'll be stringing them like most people do.

Yay! Congrats! I'm excited to follow along with you. I'm a Disney Bride to be (about 5 mos left :hyper:) and we've been planning since August. I swear that we are so alike when I was reading your plans for what you want. I originally wanted the Japan Pavilion at the Torii Gate too (my fave place in EPCOT) and I love all things Japanese. Fiance wanted the GM lounge for Reception but we scrapped it and are doing the Italy pavilion (I'm Italian) and then after our Dessert party we are doing a ride add on with Test Track! :)
I'm totally A type too, so if there is anything you need help with or questions, I'm here. :)

Have fun planning!:bride:

Last edited:
Yay! Congrats! I'm excited to follow along with you. I'm a Disney Bride to be (about 5 mos left :hyper:) and we've been planning since August. I swear that we are so alike when I was reading your plans for what you want. I originally wanted the Japan Pavilion at the Torii Gate too (my fave place in EPCOT) and I love all things Japanese. Fiance wanted the GM lounge for Reception but we scrapped it and are doing the Italy pavilion (I'm Italian) and then after our Dessert party we are doing a ride add on with Test Track! :)
I'm totally A type too, so if there is anything you need help with or questions, I'm here. :)

Have fun planning!:bride:

OMG congrats to you! that's so soon how exciting!! Isn't the gate gorgeous? ugh obsessed! Can I ask why you scrapped the GM Lounge? But how fun! We are considering a dessert party the night before as a reception/welcome thing possibly (fingers crossed) I asked about a ride add on at Test Track too, but during cocktail hour right after our ceremony! Our coordinator said it might be a no:guilty: but she's never had anyone ask for that before LOL so maybe I'll get lucky and they'll work some disney magic! I don't see why not though since we would be right on top of the ride if we get the lounge anyways! :cool1:
thank you so much, i will definitely take you up on that once the real planning gets started!

OMG congrats to you! that's so soon how exciting!! Isn't the gate gorgeous? ugh obsessed! Can I ask why you scrapped the GM Lounge? But how fun! We are considering a dessert party the night before as a reception/welcome thing possibly (fingers crossed) I asked about a ride add on at Test Track too, but during cocktail hour right after our ceremony! Our coordinator said it might be a no:guilty: but she's never had anyone ask for that before LOL so maybe I'll get lucky and they'll work some disney magic! I don't see why not though since we would be right on top of the ride if we get the lounge anyways! :cool1:
thank you so much, i will definitely take you up on that once the real planning gets started!

Thank you! :)

We scrapped the lounge because of the cost and also because it's fairly boring other than the view and would take a lot of uplighting and decorating that we didn't want to waste $$ on.
They more than likely won't let you ride add on in the middle of the day because they make sure to clear the regular day park guests before letting the wedding party and their guests on. That is why they only approved ours for after Illuminations since the park will be basically empty at that point as far as the rides are concerned with reg day guests.

I've Got 99 Problems, But My Date Ain't One.
It's December 3rd.. I've been looking forward to this day for the past month and a half!
I went to Spin this morning and right after class I got the phone call from my lovely coordinator Kristi that WE GOT OUR DATE!

:love:

That was about it, she told me we secured our date at the "Bonsai Promenade" and the General Motors Convention Center. (slightly anticlimactic)
But Yay, huge sigh of relief for sure, I like to worry myself A LOT. Honestly yesterday I was going over a half dozen worst case scenarios and was LITERALLY scrolling through all the reception venues trying to decide on one if I wasn't able to get the lounge
(even though I know very well I don't like anything else)... :crazy2:
BUT I DID GET IT, so that's now NOT necessary and I have a slight problem:
I was under the impression that the lounge held like 100-120 people...
(I'm pretty sure I must have dreamt this number, because now I cannot for the life of me, find where I saw that number) *ugh*
ANYWAYS, Kristi told me that GM wanted her to tell me the MAX CAPACITY IS 80. EIGHTY PEOPLE. That's it.
My current guest list, I endearingly call My Obligation List (all the dozens of family members my father thinks we are OBLIGATED to invite), has grown to a lovely 178 people.
ONE HUNDRED AND SEVENTY EIGHT PEOPLE.:scared1:
That is clearly nowhere near my 80 max capacity, and I honestly didn't ask if that 80 even included Christian and myself, because frankly I was still on that relief high of getting our date, so I just agreed, and told her my guest list hadn't grown past the 100 I originally told her back in October.
(because you know, start off your ongoing relationship with your coordinator by lying, that's always smart.)
Anyways, I rushed home, went through the guest list and somehow by the grace of God, whittled it down to 100(ish) Which means there are about 65 or so adults plus their children, that will probably not be so happy with me for not getting an invitation. I know that's not the final count, but it's a start.
Now, I am aware that not 100% of your guest list shows, and I've gone and picked probably the most inconvenient weekend to get married, keeping even more people away probably, but My side of the family is VERY reliable, aka if they're invited to something important (one of only TWO girls in the family getting married) they'll show. ALL OF THEM. Christian sadly doesn't expect like ANY of his family, outside his immediate, to come, which makes me sad for him, but also I'm secretly relieved... :scratchin

After a talk with my mother, I've honestly come to a possible conclusion of how to really decide who to invite in the end run: My Engagement party is back home in California, where I would say about 85% of all our family lives; and besides his parents, NONE of Chris' family has RSVP'd for that, and not many of my family that lives in town have even RSVP'd either. Granted, they still have two weeks to confirm, but this is my thinking:
(and please, if you have any thoughts on this PLEASE comment)
If you don't want to make the time to go to just a plain ol' luncheon Engagement Party that is IN your own town (like everyone lives no more than 5-10 min. from my parent's house) you probably won't make the effort, or want to spend the money (literally a couple thousand dollars in the long run if we are being realistic) on coming to my wedding across the country next year, RIGHT?
So I feel like I'll be able to base my final guest list off of who actually shows to the party in three weeks:
if you come = invited
if you don't come = not invited.
Is that wrong? Am I being too harsh? Are my expectations too high? HELP.
This is just the beginning & I am already spiraling y'all. :laughing:

Last edited:
How exciting you got everything you want! I was struggling with the guest list, especially since my parents kept inviting people to the wedding as the months went by. When we actually sent out invitations I was really surprised by some of the people who said no that I thought would be a sure yes. Since it is a destination wedding not as many people are willing to travel and spend the money. As for the number, when we were doing all the planning that number included the bride and groom, which when we started we didn't realize. I'm not sure how strict they are on capacity, I think the amount goes down when you add a dance floor. I know a plated meal will give you more room than a buffet.

Oh the dreaded guest list... We had major issues here too! And we didn't have problems with the capacity like you have! (just people being offended because their (grand)kids weren't invited). A line has to be drawn... I like your line, although I might excuse people who couldn't attend the engagement party for a valid reason. You could send out your invitations in waves. First invite only 80 people (who came to the party and RSVP'd), then the next wave depending on the RSVP's with "no" the people who did RSVP for the engagement party but couldn't come, next wave, the people who didn't RSVP but did show up (you can't have that uncertainty in one of the first waves), finally, whoever is left :P

Good luck with planning and congratulations on getting the date and venue!

Yes, part of me (being a deranged people pleasing person) like is worried about offending people, but then another part of me KNOWS those people who WILL be offended if not invited: a- wouldn't come even if given the invitation to begin with b- not someone I would care to have there anyways SO the more I think about it, the less I'm worried about the guest list. LOL If it comes down to it though, I will definitely just send out invites in waves like you said! :)

How exciting you got everything you want! I was struggling with the guest list, especially since my parents kept inviting people to the wedding as the months went by. When we actually sent out invitations I was really surprised by some of the people who said no that I thought would be a sure yes. Since it is a destination wedding not as many people are willing to travel and spend the money. As for the number, when we were doing all the planning that number included the bride and groom, which when we started we didn't realize. I'm not sure how strict they are on capacity, I think the amount goes down when you add a dance floor. I know a plated meal will give you more room than a buffet.

Majority of the excess on my original list was due to my dad insisting on inviting "relatives" (the family you call family but aren't actually family) which I felt like I couldn't argue since he's the one footing majority of the bill. Talking to my mom today there are already a few people that I assumed would totally come who actually aren't sounding like they will come now, so that's a little sad, but also a relief. Because of my date I KNOW a lot of people will probably say no, it's not cheap in GENERAL to fly across the country, not including it being a holiday weekend essentially, so that will probably whittle down the number too. I FIGURED the 80 would include us, which makes it a little more stressful, especially since I don't think plated in an option for the Brunch. And if I am going to reach max capacity, I doubt a dance floor will even be an option at that point :guilty:
BUT WHO KNOWS! It's still early in the process!

The Dreaded Room Block... Isn't It A Bit Early For That?
So, now that we've got out tentative date, I've gotten an email from Kristi, stating that I cannot get my Letter of Agreement until I send in a room block? Which is due December 17th. Isn't that like EARLY?? I know I'm only required to block out a minimum of 10 nights between three resorts.
I've chosen the following: Pop Century, Port Orleans- French Quarters, and Beach Club
But I mean, WHY IS THIS REQUIRED SO SOON?
I want to see a BOC before I commit to these hotel rooms! Is that how it works?
Can Someone tell me like the sequence of order of how their planning went?o_O

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!