Keep your eyes on the road, hands upon the wheel–A South West RT-The End!Bonus Tracks

Here.

The plans look great. It will be a lot of fun.

This is too funny--I'm actually in the middle of planning a Southwest trip for the summer with many of the same destinations. I'll have to take a lot of notes!

Having just completed an RV trip through much of this area, I can tell you that there isn't much to do or see in Kayenta. I would have a very low threshold for skipping that little excursion if you're tired or anything ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I'm reading along...
I don't comment very much, but I read along
You always do such interesting stuff and I love your photos

They definitely have a dining room at Gouldings. I did consider eating there but it was easier to eat at The View.

If they are open during midday I'm considering a late lunch on our second day. We need a nap before the midnight jeep tour and having a nice big meal between 3-4PM is a great way to force a nap from 5-11PM.

Glad to see this report started I have been looking forward to it ever since you told us about the plans Between reading yours now, and PIOs, I can travel along to beautiful places and take a nice little get away from life :goodvibes

We leave in less than two weeks so hopefully I can indulge you in a little escape. Until then I'll be fretting about packing and making sure I have everything I need!

I made it! Now going back to read!

Im glad you made it! :goodvibes

Here.

The plans look great. It will be a lot of fun.

Thanks! :thumbsup2

This is too funny--I'm actually in the middle of planning a Southwest trip for the summer with many of the same destinations. I'll have to take a lot of notes!

I hope I can help you out! :)

Having just completed an RV trip through much of this area, I can tell you that there isn't much to do or see in Kayenta. I would have a very low threshold for skipping that little excursion if you're tired or anything ;)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

That's pretty much what I expected. We'll have to see how tired we are and we'll get a glimpse of the town on the way in as well. If there's any kind of trading post, Fran will want to visit.

I'm reading along...
I don't comment very much, but I read along
You always do such interesting stuff and I love your photos

Glad to have you along! Thanks for the compliments!

Alison - I personally don't think you'll make it to Kayenta unless you completely run out of supplies. I only saw food places, gas stations, banks and the supermarket at Kayenta. There is a big permanent "trading post" of little stalls right at the turn-off of the 163 and the road heading to Monument Valley. That's where I think Fran will be shopping.....there; and at the View Trading Post.
If you tell your guide about it, maybe they will stop at some of the stalls inside MV as you're driving through.

There's also a gift shop at Gouldings. We didn't go to Gouldings, so I can't tell you if it is decent or not.

Alison - I personally don't think you'll make it to Kayenta unless you completely run out of supplies. I only saw food places, gas stations, banks and the supermarket at Kayenta. There is a big permanent "trading post" of little stalls right at the turn-off of the 163 and the road heading to Monument Valley. That's where I think Fran will be shopping.....there; and at the View Trading Post.
If you tell your guide about it, maybe they will stop at some of the stalls inside MV as you're driving through.

There's also a gift shop at Gouldings. We didn't go to Gouldings, so I can't tell you if it is decent or not.

OK, I seem to have a whole lot more homework to do! I just realized that I don't even know the routes that we will be driving to get to these place. I can't rely on the GPS, so I'm going to start a list of the things that I need to get done before we leave!

For some reason I thought the Gouldings Hotel was in Kayenta. I've started looking closely at the maps and now I see that we will pass through Kayenta on our way to the View Hotel and on our way to Bryce. I think we'll check out Gouldings on the day instead. If they serve lunch and serve it late maybe we'll try them out for lunch. I'll have to look into that.

Wow, your road trip sounds a lot more fun than the one I have planned this summer. And more relaxing. I look forward to reading about it.

Kate

Wow, your road trip sounds a lot more fun than the one I have planned this summer. And more relaxing. I look forward to reading about it.

Kate

I'm glad to have you reading along! Where are you going to?

It's getting really close now!

Sunday I realized that I had not thought this entire thing through because there was a lot left not figured out. I spent most of the day researching our route thoroughly, and really looking into some of the challenges, possibilities. I printed out a “Trip-tik” courtesy of Google Maps and did some research into where the Gouldings hotel was in comparison to Kayenta and realized a couple things.

1) We will be driving through Kayenta on our way to Monument Valley and our way from Monument Valley so we have two opportunities to stop there if we feel a stop is warranted.

2) The Goulding’s hotel has a menu posted as a picture on Yelp, and looks like quite a nice option. The reviews were OK, and pretty much they agreed that as long as you stick with the Indian Frybread or the Frybread taco, you’re good. The other choices were kind of spotty. I’m thinking this will be perfect for a 3PM late lunch on the night we are taking the Midnight tour. Our bellies will be nice and full, we can go back to our hotel for a nap. If we wake up between 10-11PM, that gives us plenty of time to have a little snack before our Midnight rendezvous.

I also learned something else. It seems like the area around Bryce Canyon is similar for slim pickins food wise. Sure there is a Subway close by and a restaurant or two, but the reviews on Yelp were pretty harsh. I think we’ll be stopping by Safeway in Page for a few more provisions.

So here’s our accomplishment list so far with one week to go.

Done:
Accomodations
Tours of Monument Valley
Tour Plan of Bryce Canyon
Google Directions Printed

In Process
Creating a Packing List clothing
Creating a Packing List cooking & supplies
100,000 mile check up and tune up for the car

Still to do
Clean out the car
Get maps from AAA
Actually pack
Thaw and cook a turkey and shred into Olga size pieces
Cook a chicken for the WFD thread crowd
Take the cat to the vet for a blood test
Buy more “special” cat food
Brief the cattaker on the changes to Olgas food and meds
Write a letter to all the tenants letting them know we might be out of cell service for a while.
Meet with the walk in tub people for measuring

That’s all I can think of for now, but I’m sure there is more to add to the list.

Good idea to pick up provisions in Page. :thumbsup2

Yeah we'll take stock before we leave MV and see what we'll need for the next two days. Looks like slim pickins at Bryce as well.

Make sure to take plenty of water.

We're having a debate of whether I can buy a case of Costco 1l bottles or if I have to bring 3l bottles and fill my metal bottles that I use at home. She's pushing for the green route while I want to just have the bottles there and ready. I hate trying to pour from the giant bottles into smaller ones. I'm OK with the refrigerator dispenser and filling the bottles, but pouring from a large to small, I'll spill half of it every time.

Yeah we'll take stock before we leave MV and see what we'll need for the next two days. Looks like slim pickins at Bryce as well.

We're having a debate of whether I can buy a case of Costco 1l bottles or if I have to bring 3l bottles and fill my metal bottles that I use at home. She's pushing for the green route while I want to just have the bottles there and ready. I hate trying to pour from the giant bottles into smaller ones. I'm OK with the refrigerator dispenser and filling the bottles, but pouring from a large to small, I'll spill half of it every time.

I have never checked there, but maybe you could find the bottles that have that pull out spout.

I'm bad and typically go with convenience over green on vacation.

Looks like you still have a fair bit to do. That makes me feel better about the stuff still on my to do list especially as I am leaving a day earlier. What a shame that it looks like the food choices will be somewhat limited and of questionable quality.

Corinna

Sunday I realized that I had not thought this entire thing through because there was a lot left not figured out. I spent most of the day researching our route thoroughly, and really looking into some of the challenges, possibilities. I printed out a “Trip-tik” courtesy of Google Maps and did some research into where the Gouldings hotel was in comparison to Kayenta and realized a couple things.

1) We will be driving through Kayenta on our way to Monument Valley and our way from Monument Valley so we have two opportunities to stop there if we feel a stop is warranted.

2) The Goulding’s hotel has a menu posted as a picture on Yelp, and looks like quite a nice option. The reviews were OK, and pretty much they agreed that as long as you stick with the Indian Frybread or the Frybread taco, you’re good. The other choices were kind of spotty. I’m thinking this will be perfect for a 3PM late lunch on the night we are taking the Midnight tour. Our bellies will be nice and full, we can go back to our hotel for a nap. If we wake up between 10-11PM, that gives us plenty of time to have a little snack before our Midnight rendezvous.

I also learned something else. It seems like the area around Bryce Canyon is similar for slim pickins food wise. Sure there is a Subway close by and a restaurant or two, but the reviews on Yelp were pretty harsh. I think we’ll be stopping by Safeway in Page for a few more provisions.

So here’s our accomplishment list so far with one week to go.

Done:
Accomodations
Tours of Monument Valley
Tour Plan of Bryce Canyon
Google Directions Printed

In Process
Creating a Packing List clothing
Creating a Packing List cooking & supplies
100,000 mile check up and tune up for the car

Still to do
Clean out the car
Get maps from AAA
Actually pack
Thaw and cook a turkey and shred into Olga size pieces
Cook a chicken for the WFD thread crowd
Take the cat to the vet for a blood test
Buy more “special” cat food
Brief the cattaker on the changes to Olgas food and meds
Write a letter to all the tenants letting them know we might be out of cell service for a while.
Meet with the walk in tub people for measuring

That’s all I can think of for now, but I’m sure there is more to add to the list.

That is some list....

I am hoping that between you and PIO - you all might have planned everything for my trip next fall!

I have never checked there, but maybe you could find the bottles that have that pull out spout.

I don't like those. I prefer just to drink from the bottle.

I'm bad and typically go with convenience over green on vacation.

Yeah, me too, except DVC. I have a Britta pitcher in my OL.

Looks like you still have a fair bit to do. That makes me feel better about the stuff still on my to do list especially as I am leaving a day earlier. What a shame that it looks like the food choices will be somewhat limited and of questionable quality.

Corinna

I ticked a fair amount off in the last 36 hours, so we're looking better. At least I'm glad that I can cook, that makes things a little easier.

That is some list....

I am hoping that between you and PIO - you all might have planned everything for my trip next fall!

:rotfl2: You're welcome to steal my trip....

Great minds think alike, I'm hoping for the same.

Go ahead and steal away! :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter