Kids Choosing to Skip Graduation?

I know of students in my sons graduation year who weren't allowed to walk with the graduating class and they were stripped of their honors stoles because they were caught cheating - they broke into a classroom, got the answers to the finals and then the teacher walked in and caught them. Apparently someone had done the same thing to another class and it was figured out that they did it to that class too when the answer sheets were in their backpacks. One of the boys confessed that he had been doing that all through High School but was not caught because he put the answer sheets back before they were noticed to be missing. It was a disaster and the yearbook that year was redacted with volunteers going through every single one and blacking out those boys special Honors pages - one of them was even most Likely to succeed and had a whole page to himself and that page was completely redacted. I felt so bad for the parents.

I don't know of anyone who wouldn't want to walk in their High School Graduation. We have over 800 students in my daughters upcoming senior class. The High School is huge. That is going to be one long graduation ceremony - I'm going to buy a stadium cushion for that one just so I can be comfy during it.

My husband didn't walk for his college graduation. He had to be in Georgia (graduated in MN) for his first day of work on the day of the college graduation. So we were already in Georgia at that time.

DS's high school class had 311 students. At graduation the other night, there were 287 participants. We know of one girl who graduated but chose not to attend the ceremony. She was in DS's drama class for four years and they did several shows together. I'm pretty sure it's not a matter of her being shy about being seen or walking across the stage. She told DS that graduation ceremonies just aren't her thing, and that her mom was OK with her not walking. They went to dinner and a show instead. It's totally her prerogative, but I guess I was a little surprised. I'm wondering how many of DS's classmates chose not to participate. I know there were some who didn't earn the necessary credits to graduate. I'm just curious as to how many earned the credits but chose not to walk. Is it that common of a thing?

I would have skipped all my graduations (HS, BS, MLIS). So boring and honestly the audience drove me nuts. It doesn't matter how many times they ask the audience to not get loud and cheer, they always interrupt the ceremony which makes the process even longer. I'm convienced that Graduations are more for the families then the actual student.

That being said I walked all three of mine.

1. Because my HS told us they would not give me my diploma unless I walked (not sure how legal that was)
2. My mom really wanted me to walk. She actually graduated HS the same day as me (GED) and they didn't get to walk. And then I was the first to get a college degree and then a masters.

If my nephews wanted to skip theirs I would totally support it.

My ds just told me he didn't want to go to his 8th grade graduation.
Yes we have an 8th grade graduation, this is nothing new, I did it 30 years ago.....blah blah blah.
I'm guessing its optional but I will have check. I expect him to "graduate" but I don't really need to see him get his diploma. Plus its in the late afternoon when most parents are still at work.
High school graduation is a VERY big thing in Canada; it is part of the festivities that roughly equal the American senior prom. It's such a ubiquitous part of our culture that my company (a very large privately owned multi-national) actually gives a 1/2 day paid leave to attend a child's graduation - it's entrenched in our benefits package.

High school graduation is a VERY big thing in Canada; it is part of the festivities that roughly equal the American senior prom. It's such a ubiquitous part of our culture that my company (a very large privately owned multi-national) actually gives a 1/2 day paid leave to attend a child's graduation - it's entrenched in our benefits package.

Not a big thing where I grew up (Toronto suburb). Actually ours was termed a "Convocation" and happened in the fall on a Friday evening (so most of us did come back for it). My brother's school did do it in June on a weekday afternoon, but still low key. I've never had a job (or even heard of a job) where paid leave to attend was part of the benefits package - you take personal leave to attend.

My older DS did dual enrollment his senior year, so he did not even attend his high school his last year. He skipped his graduation and we went on vacation instead. He just received his bachelor degree from UGA last month, but did not walk. He is getting a masters degree next year, and will walk for that and receive both degrees at once.

Younger DS is also doing dual enrollment for this upcoming year - his senior year. He will also be a full time college student and has no interest in walking for his graduation. Just booked a disney cruise for that week in 2018!

Where we live, the senior classes are around 550 kids. Graduation is a long, very drawn out affair.

My older DS did dual enrollment his senior year, so he did not even attend his high school his last year. He skipped his graduation

My daughter just finished her junior year and did dual enrollment this year and will again next year (no high school classes). She can still be just as active at the high school as she chooses. She still helps with Class of 2018 activities, is a member of the high school figure skating team etc. As far as I know she will want to participate in high school graduation. Since I have a younger daughter we can't go on vacation then anyway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter