kids' club for shy 4yr old?

clairesmom

Mouseketeer
many thanks to all for all the useful advice I've received from these boards! one more question for anyone who has used the kids' clubs in the polynesian or contemporary-any idea which would be better for a shy, just turned 4 year old girl? I have her enrolled in neverland while we dine at California Grill, but now I'm having second thoughts-if there are a lot of older children or mostly boys, she will be a little intimidated. maybe I should keep her at the contemporary kids' club instead, so I'm closer to her for a quick dinner? any impressions as to which club gets younger children, or mostly girls? appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

We have never used the kids club at the Contemporary, but I can tell you that all 3 of my kids adore the Neverland Club!!! We took them there last February and felt guilty until we got back to pick them up. My shy four year old boy loved the unlimited video games, and my 6 year old daughter did craft projects to her heart's content. They were all there together, so I don't know how your daughter would feel about going by herself, but I can tell you it was about evenly split by age/sex, and the CM's really seemed to go out of their way to help the kids have a good time. They also give parents a pager so they can reach you if need be.

We are going back in December and when we asked the kids what three things they most wanted to do, Neverland Club made it on all their lists!

The Neverland Club used to be open from 12-4 in the afternoon for kids and parents to play together, which might be a good way to check it out and let your daughter get to know the place. I don't know if the Contemporary does the same thing but you could call and ask. The phone numbers are:

Polynesian: 407-824-2000

Contemporary: 407-824-1000

Good luck and hope you have a great trip!

I would go with the Neverland Club. The Castmembers there really do cater to the shy ones. I haven't noticed older kids being any problem, as they usually are only interested in the video games. There is a great big screen (like a movie theater) that shows Disney movies the entire time, and there are plenty of arts and crafts to get their creative juices flowing. My DD has never had any problem staying there, and begs to go on every trip. She has always met several little "friends" while there.

They give you a beeper, and the phone number so you can keep in touch, and have a great policy to deal with "troublemakers", it is posted right inside the door you enter... be sure to read it!

I think this will be a great way for your husband and you to have some adult time, and your daughter to interact with kids.

Have a great time, and don't worry about it!

thanks to those who replied-I think we'll stick with the Neverland club, and I appreciate all the support!

I just wanted to say that the neverland club was a great time for my very shy 6 year old DD. The CM's there were so nice to her she wanted to go there again when we went back as part of her vacation. She was the older child but her younger brother was a show stealer from day one. I was concerned that she wouldn't get much attention because he is so personable but the CM's have a way with the shy children to bring them out. They do grow out of the shyness eventually. She still talks about how much fun it was to go there when she was little. She is now 18 and in college and she is still a bit shy but she is coming into her self more and more each day. Have a great dinner with your hubby knowing your DD is happy too.

My kids went to both clubs and liked both. The club at the CR is much smaller, and there were 3 staff members there for 5 kids. I didn't really see inside the Neverland Club. I also thought the CMs were much friendlier at the CR - perhaps the gal checking kids in at Neverland was having a bad night. Anyway, I should think your daughter would have fun either place. If you want her closer to you and save a few bucks on the amount of time she is there, the club at the CR is just fine.

I think I'm going to go against the grain here & say, think twice about leaving your shy just turned 4 year old at any kids club :( We left our just turned four year old at the Neverland Club about 11 months ago & when we picked her up, our six year old informed us that she'd been in the corner crying at one point & that he had to console her a few times :( She was definitely too young to go & she really isn't all that shy at all!!! Apparently there had been two little girls (a little older than her) that were sisters & they wouldn't play with our little girl & it hurt her feelings... because she was just barely four she was ill equipped to deal with the situation... If our six year old hadn't been there I'm sure we would have been called by the staff... Maybe save the kids club for next year?

My DS LOVED the Netherland Club. We actually spent some time with the CMs inside the kids club before we left and also when we picked our son up. We were there in the off season (May 2002) so the club was not very busy at all. It fits quite a few kids. I would think this club would be crazy at full capacity.

We really liked the cast members at the club. I would encourage you to take 15 minutes or so before you leave to talk to the CM's (inside the club) and explain your concerns. The CM really were wonderful interacting with the kids. I, too, agree that the CM's signing in/out the kids are not very enthusiastic, but the CM's inside the club are really good at getting the kids to participate in activities.

Relax, and enjoy your evening with at the California Grill!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter