Kissimee off sight near old town for a non-Disneyish trip?

Pluto777

DIS Veteran
Have a split stay, onsight at a great WDW resort and offsite on a buidget as a 'warm up' before.. Considering a low budget hotel near old town with the family. Is it a good idea? Is it that much better on I drive near Universal? Opinions welcome : )

I would pick a hotel near Universal. The drive up I-4 everyday can get to be very annoying with the traffic. As suggested above, the hotels near SeaWorld are nice too.

Would love more info about Old Town Area...
Long story: My daughter plans to visit using off site .
Pictures look wonderful...I drove over.. gated community, right behind Old Town in Kissimmee on dead end street with Trailer Homes and an RV Park...
I will let you know about the gated community after my drive around the neighborhood.
I edited because I thought I should not mention the specific business name...
P.s. I am not saying anything bad about the RV or trailer park option.
It is the traffic in & out of a dead end during holiday .

Last edited:

I agree about the Old Town area, I live about 15-20 minutes west of Old Town and that area is a little "sketchy" That's why I would feel better recommending a hotel near SeaWorld or I-drive.

Have a split stay, onsight at a great WDW resort and offsite on a buidget as a 'warm up' before.. Considering a low budget hotel near old town with the family. Is it a good idea? Is it that much better on I drive near Universal? Opinions welcome : )

Quality Inn at the Parks is really nice and about a 5 min drive from Animal Kingdom.

It used to be #2 now it's #7 out of #166 hotels in Kissimee.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...nn_Suites_By_The_Parks-Kissimmee_Florida.html

Would love more info about Old Town Area...
Long story: My daughter plans to visit 12/23-1/1/21... is using off site .
Pictures look wonderful...I drove over.. gated community, right behind Old Town in Kissimmee on dead end street with Trailer Homes and an RV Park... I am new to Florida but that area is scary in daylight. I tried to warn her about safety , traffic flow , Some people have to learn the hard way. I plan to drive over Saturday to check again with somebody in car with me and all doors and windows locked.
I will let you know about the gated community after my drive around the neighborhood.
I edited because I thought I should not mention the specific business name...
P.s. I am not saying anything bad about the RV or trailer park option.
It is the traffic in & out of a dead end during holiday . Kinda worried about drug use and pedophile possibility actually in unknown neighborhood . I guess that problem could be a concern everywhere.
Trailer homes and an RV Park? Why would she choose to stay there? Does she have a reason? Does she have "friends" in the area? What appeals to her about it in comparison to a standard hotel. I can't imagine staying in a trailer park and consider it a vacation. Especially the way you describe it as possibility of "drug use and pedophilia" activity. Don't give her an option to stay there. Pay for the somewhere else for her. Don't let her stay there if that is the type of "vibe" you are getting. I have to admit, Old Town area is NOT my ideal place I would allow my daughter to go either. I wouldn't even stay there if I were with her. I have to agree that the area is a little sketchy after dark. As others have said, maybe consider SeaWorld or Universal area. You'd be surprise at the price of hotels in the Orlando area. If she is traveling alone, please help her find a better option.

Trailer homes and an RV Park? Why would she choose to stay there? Does she have a reason? Does she have "friends" in the area? What appeals to her about it in comparison to a standard hotel. I can't imagine staying in a trailer park and consider it a vacation. Especially the way you describe it as possibility of "drug use and pedophilia" activity. Don't give her an option to stay there. Pay for the somewhere else for her. Don't let her stay there if that is the type of "vibe" you are getting. I have to admit, Old Town area is NOT my ideal place I would allow my daughter to go either. I wouldn't even stay there if I were with her. I have to agree that the area is a little sketchy after dark. As others have said, maybe consider SeaWorld or Universal area. You'd be surprise at the price of hotels in the Orlando area. If she is traveling alone, please help her find a better option.

It's a resort where you can rent little cabins or take your camper. https://tropicalpalms.com/

But I agree, I would not stay ANYWHERE along 192 east of I-4.

To OP the area along Palm Parkway is also a great location and has some reasonable places to stay.

It's a resort where you can rent little cabins or take your camper. https://tropicalpalms.com/

But I agree, I would not stay ANYWHERE along 192 east of I-4.

To OP the area along Palm Parkway is also a great location and has some reasonable places to stay.
Thanks for the info. Yes, I have heard of Tropical Palms but never seen or experienced it. The info and pictures on the website doesn't look like a bad area at all. Even TripAdvisor info and pics are not bad either. Campgrounds and trailer parks are not my cup of tea so I have to digress on this one. However if the mother didn't feel comfortable, I still would advise she find somewhere else for her daughter and maybe offer to help with expenses for peace of mind.

Believe me I have warned her. It’s coming from a mother that has warned against using anything modern...
I (have 2 rooms booked at Cabana Bay and) figure she will enter this unit and immediately realize a lot of things. Like Mother is always right ...Haha
Just waiting for first time Uber can’t pull in and they have to meet them way up front by the locked gate. It’s a long walk.
Sorry I just don’t Get this generation dagnabit!! The gig economy?

Believe me I have warned her. It’s coming from a mother that has warned against using anything modern...
I (have 2 rooms booked at Cabana Bay and) figure she will enter this unit and immediately realize a lot of things. Like Mother is always right ...Haha
Just waiting for first time Uber can’t pull in and they have to meet them way up front by the locked gate. It’s a long walk.
Sorry I just don’t Get this generation dagnabit!! The gig economy?
From one parent to another, I know you will sleep better knowing she is at Cabana Bay. As I said, Tropical Palms doesn't look bad at all based on the pictures on the website and on TripAdvisor. But I think your in-person first impression spoke volumes. If drugs and pedophilia was your first impression from a parental view, then I always say trust your gut. You may be way off base with your impression, HOWEVER, your GUT INSTINCT says that is NOT the place for her. As a fellow parent, my money rides on your GUT and first impression. I hope she has a WONDERFUL time and I am glad you will sleep at night. ::yes:: :goodvibes

I love highly recommend booking a hotel just off I Drive. We’ve stayed at the Embassy Suites 360 twice and have loved it. Walking distance to tons of restaurants and bars and attractions—it’s just across from the giant Ferris wheel. It’s very safe.

Some of hotels and areas on 193 are known for drugs and prostitution. I haven't read anything about pedophia.
Personally, I haven't heard or witnessed any type of negative activity on 192 regarding drugs, prostitution or pedophilia. It was one of the above posts who made the comment of it being the impression of activity she got when she went to look at the resort. No one has confirmed the resort has that type of activity going on. It's just the impression she got. However, my point was, if that is the "vibe" she received, I agree as a parent, that I would not be comfortable with my daughter staying there.

Local here..
I would not stay over in that area.. to much to go into, Old town is not what is use to be, lots of problems in this area at night...

Renaissance Hotel in front of Sea World is a pretty good option.

I-drive - If you stay where all the action is, meaning walking distance to Wonder Works, or the Eye Over Orlando, lots of restaurants.

There is also a Holiday Inn Universal, and the hotel right next door it changes name all the time, which would both be good... close to I drive and the Outlet mall... as well as Universal's City walk across the street..

You also could stay somewhere on Hotel Blvd, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Best Western suite, and head to Disney Spring for the evening..

Local here..
I would not stay over in that area.. to much to go into, Old town is not what is use to be, lots of problems in this area at night...

Renaissance Hotel in front of Sea World is a pretty good option.

I-drive - If you stay where all the action is, meaning walking distance to Wonder Works, or the Eye Over Orlando, lots of restaurants.

There is also a Holiday Inn Universal, and the hotel right next door it changes name all the time, which would both be good... close to I drive and the Outlet mall... as well as Universal's City walk across the street..

You also could stay somewhere on Hotel Blvd, Hilton, Holiday Inn, Best Western suite, and head to Disney Spring for the evening..
Thanks for the info LovesTimone. We definately want to feel safe & relaxed on vacation.

We stay at Barefoot n Resort every year and feel pretty safe in that area. Walk over to Old Town every night and no issues. Morning walks around 7am and have not seen anything that would concern me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!