• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. - Corey Click Here

Kolcraft Side-by-Side Reclining Umbrella Stroller

mmounsey

DIS Veteran
We are looking into getting this stroller (saw it at Target for about $50 and at Babycenter.com for about the same price).

If you own this stroller (or have in the past) please post your experiences with it. I will be doing a little solo time with my boys and need something that is easy to get around with by myself (I will be 32 weeks pregnant when I use it at Disney).

TIA!:Pinkbounc:

Personally, I didn't like this stroller. It's VERY flimsy, it got bent after the first time I used it, making it almost impossible to open/close. Also, the sunshades are practically non-existent. They really don't provide any type of protection. Also, if you're traveling with any child over 2, the stroller will be too small. When I used it, my DD was just over 2 and my niece wasn't even 2 yet, and the sunshade sat on their heads. Now, they're not big kids either!!! This is one of those things that the saying is VERY true, you get what you pay for.

I agree with the previous poster. I have this Kolcraft :
http://store.babycenter.com/product/gear/strollers/double_strollers/2264

and bought it because of its low price. It is not sturdy and is very hard to steer when the kids are 20 pounds or more. I found the recline to work fine but the sunshade is not really worth it and very flimsy.

What about the Instep double umbrella? They are going for about $85 or so on eBay and I'm sure can be found for less than $100. Here's the link from a previous thread:
http://instep.net/pages/product_display.php?manuf=1&prod_number=SC700

HTH!

I have the Kolcraft side-by-side and it does the job. I'd prefer it to have baskets but it worked fine for us and we used it with a 3 year old and a 6 year old!!! It didn't rip or anything. Granted the 2 of them were a bit heavy to push but that's to be expected because of their ages...

There is another option which I wish I tried before I bought this stroller...it's at: double side-by-side stroller

This stroller has:

2 large storage baskets
Large canopy for protection
2-position independent reclining seats
5-point harness system for extra safety
Swivel front wheels

It's $60. at Burlington Coat Factory.

Another thumbs down -- I didn't like it because I had to remove the kids and fold it up to get on the monorail -- a major pain. In the past I've been allowed to load my double (front to back) stroller onto the monorail kids, packages and all, so that is what I've taken on every trip since then. It was sort of flimsy and hard to push (2 1/2 and 4 1/2 YO) too.

I used the Kolcraft in Disney in October with a 14 month old and a 3 year old (both girls of average height and weight) and it worked out fine for us. The only thing I did not like about it was the fact that I either had to find a different entrance into some places or I had to back in through some doors (I use a front to back double at home so I wasn't used to the extra effort to get through a door!) We didn't take our front to back to Disney World since it would have been too big to fit in our rental car with our luggage, too!

If you are staying onsite, in addition to the fact that you will need to fold it to get on and off the monorail, we also found it was easier to fold it to get on and off the boats (we stayed in Fort Wilderness) and of course you have to fold and carry it to get on and off the buses. Actually because the stroller was fairly light weight it made this transition pretty easy.

You definitely get what you pay for with this stroller, but since we didn't pay too much we also didn't worry about it getting broken or stollen. When looking at the price you will also want to consider that since this stroller is bare bones, you will need to purchase accesories such as a bag(s) for the back and cupholders.

Hope this helps.

Well, it looks like we are going with this instep/schwinn model after all (we were seriously considering the instep double jogger, but it looked too bulky).

Thanks for all the feedback!;)

To Beattyfamily....You do not wish you bought the Avalon double umbrella with baskets. I did and sure wish I didn't. First off it looked great. however, trying to open it was like wrestling an aligator while covered in oil. Maddening beyond belief....Then the seats are not like a sling back, they are trimmed in metal, so the outline of each seat is meatal. not lightweight steel metal. This translates to as they sit if they lean back, the metal and it is a rounded bar mind you sits across the back of the babies heads. can you imagine reclining it and them trying to lay down with a metal bar for a pillow......Then to add insult to injury....Despite full packaging and 3 days from purchase> Burlington Coat factory refused to give me my money back. Store credit only. Nowhere is that policey stated. so now I have a credit and will use it to purchase the Instep double umbrella that is referanced here on the boards. As for the Kolcraft I have one and have taken it to Disney twice was very pleased with its performance. I must also say I beat the heck out of it. The only reason I need another is because the folding mechanism broke and it is difficult now to fold and unfold. Actually it bent in baggage. I was going to purchase another Kolcraft and thought maybe I should try one with a basket..... Which led to the Avalon fom BCF, and now the Instep. I can not get any money back and the Kolcraft is cheaper so I will put it towards a more expensive carriage. My boys by the way were one year exactly, and 27 and 28 pounds apeice the first disney trip. And 2 years old the second trip, and 30 and 31 pounds. and both times we had no issues with the carriage at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter