Kualoa Ranch tours

ErinC

DIS Veteran
If you’ve taken tours here, what did you find worthwhile and tell me about your favorites. I’m trying to decide which tours to use my go Oahu card for. TIA

We just did the 2 hour horseback tour and loved It! We came across the atv tour a couple of times and that looked fun too. They get to stop and get off to take pictures of movie props. I don't think you can go wrong with any tour there. Do what sounds the most interesting.

Last edited:
We did the VIP Movie Tour - some details and photos are in my trip report in my signature.

We loved the tour, but will admit it may be less exciting for people who are not movie buffs or kids who may not be familiar with many of the movies. Many of the sites are plots of land or areas that have been digitally enhanced after filming to look like something else.

The good parts about this tour are that you are limited to a group of 12 which makes it much easier and more comfortable in the van and also for taking as long or as little time at each site as the group wants. Lots of time for photos and questions. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable. They also play clips from the movie as you pull up to the site to give you context if you aren't familiar with the movie. The tour was 2.5 hours long and there was a bathroom stop, and they provided drinks and snacks in the van. The van had AC. The tour also was the only one that allowed you to go in the observation deck at the Indominous Rex pen from Jurassic World, which was very cool. It hadn't been disturbed or changed since they filmed. They probably have even more unique things now with the recent filming of the Jurassic World sequel.

We did the 2 hour ATV tour which was perfect amount of time because you do spend time learning how to operate one. The groups are small 6-8 mostly. Would definitely give it a 5 star. I also did Zip line tour which was just okay. I've been on many different ones and this was my least favorite as the lines were too short so you didn't get to enjoy view as much. Going to try climbworks next time. We also had a few in our group di the secret beach tour and said it was pleasant but nothing special.

We did the movie site & ranch tour. I would have preferred to do the vip movie tour, but after 2 weeks on the island, I just didn’t want to spend that much. My teens are huge movie buffs and they were very happy with what we did and said the vip tour would have been too long, so I chose right. It’s a beautiful ranch and I thought the highlight was exploring the World War 2 bunker full of movie memorabilia!

We did the 1 hour horseback riding, movie sites and catamaran tour package. We liked all of them, it was my first time riding a horse and so if you are a regular rider it will likely not be exciting for you. They walk single file through some nice terrain and the horses basically just know what to do for the most part. The movie sites tour was excellent as well. The catamaran ride first takes you to the fish pond where you take a power boat to get across, then you walk down a path to the secret beach area where you board your catamaran and go for a ride. It was also wonderful. The problem with the Go Oahu card is that you can only do 1 tour per day with the card and its a long drive from Aulani. I believe I heard with the card if you do multiple tours in one day you can get 20% off the ones that you pay for but I can't remember where I read that. If I had the Go Oahu card I likely wouldn't do the Kualoa Catamaran (if it is even an option for the card holders) because the Makani Catamaran which is included with the card (which I have never done) is a much shorter drive from Aulani

We did the Jungle Expedition tour, which was just awesome. It was a bumpy ride, but heaps of fun, climbs to some pretty high altitudes with absolutely breathtaking views of the ocean, but also quite a few elements from movies including going through the Indominous Rex paddock from Jurassic Park, a crashed helicopter from Kong, and we got to stop at the set for a new Ben Affleck movie they were shooting while we were there. If you'd like a feel for the tour you can see it in our vacation video from 30mins.

Last edited:
I’ve done the horseback riding and movie tour. I don’t recommend the horseback riding tour because it was a slow trot through dry brush. There are MUCH more scenic trails at Turtle Bay or Olomana. However, it’s a nice, easy trail that’s fun for first time riders and kids who just want the novelty of riding a horse.

The movie tour was outstanding and very scenic.

My favorite part of the day was petting the tree-climbing goats :yay:

We still talk about the ATV tour, so incredibly awesome! Also did the movie set tour, really enjoyed it and don't remember the name but a gorgeous boat ride!
The Ranch is a MUST DO! :thumbsup2ENJOY!:banana:

We did the 1 hour horseback riding, movie sites and catamaran tour package. We liked all of them, it was my first time riding a horse and so if you are a regular rider it will likely not be exciting for you. They walk single file through some nice terrain and the horses basically just know what to do for the most part. The movie sites tour was excellent as well. The catamaran ride first takes you to the fish pond where you take a power boat to get across, then you walk down a path to the secret beach area where you board your catamaran and go for a ride. It was also wonderful. The problem with the Go Oahu card is that you can only do 1 tour per day with the card and its a long drive from Aulani. I believe I heard with the card if you do multiple tours in one day you can get 20% off the ones that you pay for but I can't remember where I read that. If I had the Go Oahu card I likely wouldn't do the Kualoa Catamaran (if it is even an option for the card holders) because the Makani Catamaran which is included with the card (which I have never done) is a much shorter drive from Aulani

That is correct. We did the catamaran and then some of our group did the zipline and got 20% off. An additional tip: don't order burgers at the ranch. Everyone in our group hated them.

We did the VIP Movie Tour - some details and photos are in my trip report in my signature.

We loved the tour, but will admit it may be less exciting for people who are not movie buffs or kids who may not be familiar with many of the movies. Many of the sites are plots of land or areas that have been digitally enhanced after filming to look like something else.

The good parts about this tour are that you are limited to a group of 12 which makes it much easier and more comfortable in the van and also for taking as long or as little time at each site as the group wants. Lots of time for photos and questions. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable. They also play clips from the movie as you pull up to the site to give you context if you aren't familiar with the movie. The tour was 2.5 hours long and there was a bathroom stop, and they provided drinks and snacks in the van. The van had AC. The tour also was the only one that allowed you to go in the observation deck at the Indominous Rex pen from Jurassic World, which was very cool. It hadn't been disturbed or changed since they filmed. They probably have even more unique things now with the recent filming of the Jurassic World sequel.

We also did the VIP tour and really loved it. It takes you all over the grounds and shows a lot of movie sites. Our kids are huge Jurassic fans so this was easily the best fit for them, too. Of all of the things we did all over Oahu, it's still one of the things my wife refers back to often.

Recommend the VIP Movie Tour. We had 10 in our group and we traveled in an air-conditioned van. We had similar experience as @nkereina posted. More time and ability to take pics and walk around the sites where Jurassic World was filled. Highlight was the Indominous Rex pen. If you're a Lost fan, you'll visit those areas as well. Plenty of other movies that were filmed at the ranch too. We scheduled our tour for a Sunday morning, so there was no traffic driving from Aulani to Kualoa Ranch. I'd definitely do this tour again.

The ranch is incredible with views that will definitely leave you speechless. I just did the basic bus tour but we were a group of about 10 so the guide gave us plenty of time. The highlight was definitely being in the valley where they’ve filmed so many movies. I had a small geek out session at the tree from Jurassic Park. We also found the food to be very good. I believe a lot of the beef is from the ranch so it was all fresh and delicious.

I look forward to going back and seeing the Jurassic World props.

The ranch is incredible with views that will definitely leave you speechless. I just did the basic bus tour but we were a group of about 10 so the guide gave us plenty of time. The highlight was definitely being in the valley where they’ve filmed so many movies. I had a small geek out session at the tree from Jurassic Park. We also found the food to be very good. I believe a lot of the beef is from the ranch so it was all fresh and delicious.

I look forward to going back and seeing the Jurassic World props.

My daughter and I bought some filet steak at the ranch and took it back to Aulani to grill out for our dinner. It was very good steak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!