Lake Tahoe/Reno - How's the weather this month?

everylastbreath

DIS Veteran
We are going to Tahoe/Reno this month, and we've been there quite a few times, but never in the real winter months. Landing at Reno airport and driving (renting a 4x4) to Tahoe for 2 days, then to Reno for a day. Is Tahoe completely snow now? Anyone whos ever travel that road to Tahoe know's it a pretty scarey road in the summer, how is the driving conditions now? My husband is getting a little anxious about the drive. Also what type of clothes do I need to bring (snowboots??) We are not skiiing so this is just basically walking around town clothes, but I'm sure it's going to be cold! Anyone ever been there in January? Tell me about it. :)

Having a huge storm right now....there will be several feet of new snow by Sunday.

Cool!! Have you been there in winter time? any idea about road conditions? I'm sure they are very good about clearing and de-icing the roads right?

...whose sister lives in South Lake Tahoe.

She told me once that, in the winter, the snow banks are so high on the sides of the streets that most cars have TALL masts with flags and/or lights on them so you can see oncoming cross traffic before you get to an intersection.

I seem to remember hearing that they have already gotten about 7 FEET so far this year.

Yes i have been in the winter.....it can be kinda scary if there's a storm going through. Such as today it's pretty much whiteout conditions. All roads are requiring chains. WE're just being hit with one of the worst storms we've had in a few years. It can just be so unpredictable. It's really beautiful.....but need to be extremely careful. Right now they are telling people on the news if you don't HAVE to go there, then don't. It's just really dangerous conditions right now.

Yes, there is snow now:banana: And its looking like 4 yards before this is over. Since you will have 4WD, you should be ok with out chains. Usually either are acceptable. They will be enforced, when needed. Which area are you going to? If you are headed to the north shore, 431 may be iffy around Mt. Rose(if its snowing), but otherwise I80, which goes to Truckee, is usually an ok bet, and then take 267 down towards Kings Beach. That pass does usually require chains/4WD when it snows. But if at all questioning it, you might want to take I80 rather than 431/MtRose Highway. I usually take 431 to Reno though. I'm not sure if I80 is reopened yet? If you are absolutely determined to get up to Tahoe and are worried about the drive, I can help you with an alternate path.

But I would not stress about the driving. Just listen and keep an eye on closures and requirements.
It hasn't been extremely cold. Just cold enough to snow;) Footwear is kind of by personal preference. I know people who wear boots all winter whether there is snow or not, and then there's people who wear tennis shoes all season. But general winter clothes usually cut it.
Don't forget you're camera!
Any other questions feel free to ask!:)

Where exactly are you going at Lake Tahoe? My brother used to live in Truckee, now he's in Reno. They have several inches of snow at their house, and the road has been closed on & off up to the Lake Tahoe area. You didn't say when you're going, but expect road closures if the conditions are bad. I'm not a downhill skier, but I've always had fun and plenty to do while visiting him in the winter. Yes, bring snow boots. Downtown Truckee is a cute little town with lots of neat shops. There's plenty of non-skiing activities to do at Squaw Valley as well, including shopping, or taking the gondola up to High Camp for ice skating or just taking in the views and having lunch. Have fun!

Wow, Tahoe got blasted w/snow over this weekend! Glad we were not going this past weekend, heard that if you weren't already up there, you weren't getting there. We are going to Harrahs - Lake Tahoe, not exactly sure of the route we take but I think US-50? coming in from Reno Airport, I know we go thru Carson City then take a road that takes us up the mountain - Harrah's is on right Left side (if I remember correctly) does that give you an idea? So the roads are not super slippery? Can't wait, I expect it is beautiful!! Thanks for you help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter