The DVC Members waiting on Gold AP to go on sale

Was the Gold Pass viewed as a upgrade or downgrade from that offer?
I don’t really believe it was either. The LoS pass was just a different type of pass price based on how many days your reservation was for. It had to be repurchased each trip, but at a lower cost than an AP.

ETA: Not technically an AP, but same functionality as you described.

Last edited:
They got rid of that a few years back. It was called a “length of stay pass”.
Was the Gold Pass viewed as a upgrade or downgrade from that offer?
I don’t really believe it was either. The LoS pass was just a different type of pass price based on how many days your reservation was for. It had to be repurchased each trip, but at a lower cost than an AP.

ETA: Not technically an AP, but same functionality as you described.
The LoS pass was essentially the tickets you bought with a package. They were good from park opening on day of checkin to park closure on day of checkout and were on your Key to the World card (hotel key card). The Gold Pass came many years later as a variant of an annual pass.

The LoS pass was essentially the tickets you bought with a package. They were good from park opening on day of checkin to park closure on day of checkout and were on your Key to the World card (hotel key card). The Gold Pass came many years later as a variant of an annual pass.

Got it I think we purchased something similar on the hotel side back in the day but honestly can't remember since its been a while since we stayed hotel and have purchased our tickets through Undercover Tourist more recently when renting points.

That’s true, although IIRC you could purchase the LoS pass at check-in.

One of the biggest draws for buying direct is the AP discount. How do you market that

I’ve never seen them market it. And even if they did, your paperwork told you that ANY perk can go away and to not buy based on anything but being able to book your timeshare, based on availability.

I think the mouse is closing the loophole, as I call it. Anytime we find a little trick to save money at Disney the mouse shuts it down. I think they are trying to shut down the 1 new pass every other year trick.

APs go for a year’s worth of days. Unless you buy on January 1, going more than once a calendar year is kinda part of the possibility open. It’s not a loophole. 365 days is 365 days. (Actually 366 most years because it goes the same date you got it, and of course 367 for leap year)

The LoS pass was essentially the tickets you bought with a package. They were good from park opening on day of checkin to park closure on day of checkout and were on your Key to the World card (hotel key card).

I don’t even remember that.

I’ve never seen them market it. And even if they did, your paperwork told you that ANY perk can go away and to not buy based on anything but being able to book your timeshare, based on availability.

APs go for a year’s worth of days. Unless you buy on January 1, going more than once a calendar year is kinda part of the possibility open. It’s not a loophole. 365 days is 365 days. (Actually 366 most years because it goes the same date you got it, and of course 367 for leap year)

I don’t even remember that.
I call it a loophole but its not...where folks buy an AP and go 1 trip and then 2nd trip the week before it expires and then don't renew but wait another year to buy a new AP to rinse and repeat. Disney probably isn't a fan of that as they prefer you to buy AP and then renew annually. Which also means you're likely going more than once every 11.5 months but more like every 6 months and spending more at WDW. So they won't aim to help the new APs every other year folks. If you are DVC you likely have an AP that can be renewed. If not and you need to buy a new AP for upcoming trip then you are likely a new AP every other year person (or a new member and any new members were by resale from March to recently so they don't care....but they just began selling direct points again so they will have to open up AP sales soon, IMO. Or remove it as a perk for buying direct).

Last edited:

Can passes be upgraded at this time? Visiting with a Gold Pass in August, but plan on returning in December - so was going to upgrade while at WDW.

Not currently... No AP sales or upgrades at this time. My visits match yours Aug/Dec. Im starting to worry I won't be able to upgrade to Platinum for our Dec trip. Not sure if this means we shoukd cancel Aug so we don't activate the passes...

My trip in August is long enough to justify a Gold Pass. And I was able to make park reservations for my AKV stay in December - linked to the Gold Pass. (I know I won't be able to enter the parks without the AP upgrade). If I can upgrade to Platinum before mid November I'll keep my December trip, otherwise I'll cancel.

I call it a loophole but its not...where folks buy an AP and go 1 trip and then 2nd trip the week before it expires and then don't renew but wait another year to buy a new AP to rinse and repeat. Disney probably isn't a fan of that as they prefer you to buy AP and then renew annually. Which also means you're likely going more than once every 11.5 months but more like every 6 months and spending more at WDW. So they won't aim to help the new APs every other year folks. If you are DVC you likely have an AP that can be renewed. If not and you need to buy a new AP for upcoming trip then you are likely a new AP every other year person (or a new member and any new members were by resale from March to recently so they don't care....but they just began selling direct points again so they will have to open up AP sales soon, IMO. Or remove it as a perk for buying direct).

Just remember the AP sale is a different division. It is still a benefit of having the blue card, but like any other benefit, it is subject to the rules,

So, I don’t think one has anything to do with the other, except that until AP sales are open again, those buying direct have to wait.

DVC is long term and this is a blip....I think they stopped selling because the AP can’t be used with the park reservation system the same way and there are way more AP holders who are not DVc which is what is driving the decisions...

I guess I have not been paying attention recently, but went to purchase Gold AP's today, and the Agent said they are not selling them right now, and don't have a date in the future?? We have a trip in Nov--and now I'm nervous about booking park reservations

I saw this thread was updated, and was so hoping someone had posted a date that APs would go back on sale. Has anyone heard any rumors as to when that will be?

I saw this thread was updated, and was so hoping someone had posted a date that APs would go back on sale. Has anyone heard any rumors as to when that will be?

Wondering the same thing.....don't want to have to buy 7/8 day passes for our trip--- rather just get an AP like we always do

Have not heard, but have a feeling they will not go on sale until after the date when current AP holders get to cancel, which is mid August.

So I just got off the phone with Guest Relations, and they said at this point they don't know when the AP's will be available again. Basically, they told me that if I want tickets 'now'--I will have to buy a 7-day pass, and another 1-day pass to get our trip length. Then, if I would have to cancel for some reason, I would have to call to get a POSSIBLE refund, or extension. They said I could take my chances waiting on the AP's to come available again, but they have no target date.

My plan was to buy an AP, and then if we had to cancel or rebook--I just would not activate the voucher. I really want to take this trip, but this is getting to be quite a bit of work to just get the tickets/park reservations.

So I just got off the phone with Guest Relations, and they said at this point they don't know when the AP's will be available again. Basically, they told me that if I want tickets 'now'--I will have to buy a 7-day pass, and another 1-day pass to get our trip length. Then, if I would have to cancel for some reason, I would have to call to get a POSSIBLE refund, or extension. They said I could take my chances waiting on the AP's to come available again, but they have no target date.

My plan was to buy an AP, and then if we had to cancel or rebook--I just would not activate the voucher. I really want to take this trip, but this is getting to be quite a bit of work to just get the tickets/park reservations.
I think that the value of the ticket that you buy never goes away even if you don't use it on your dates. You can use it at another time, but you may pay more depending on the dates. I'm not sure what happens if the tickets would cost less than you have already paid. You may want to check over on the tickets thread here:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/tickets-how-to-upgrade.3570721/
If you're not willing to wait for APs to go on sale you could buy the 7-day ticket and then upgrade it to an AP if they are being sold when you go. IIRC there was someone who was going in July that was going to try to upgrade her ticket when she's there. I'll see if I can find her post, but I don't think it was in this thread. I would not buy the extra 1-day ticket to get the park reservations in advance. I think you could probably pick up that last day's reservation once you upgrade as long as you don't plan on going to the Studios.

Here is the park availability calendar:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/a...kets,resort,passholder&defaultSegment=tickets

Just to add to speculation as to why sales are stopped. I read that the refunds for people who are canceling APs are being reported that it is based on number of days already used,

If an AP holder used more days than what it would cost to go via multiday, they won’t get any refund.

It does make me wonder if they did indeed stopped while dealing with this and an AP not being the same product as before.

I agree, until AP holders get refunded and the cancellation goes through, I think ap sales will stay in limbo. I processed my refunds the end of April and am still waiting for refunds from 4 tickets. I’ve called three times now. One is a voucher for a renewal which is for $650 and still waiting. So when they tell you to buy a ticket and get a refund later, expect that money may be delayed for months. I’m looking at close to $1000 now tied up for months. luckily i did get all my refunds from dcl for all my canceled cruises. At least dcl has gotten the knack for refunds under control.

If an AP holder used more days than what it would cost to go via multiday, they won’t get any refund.
That's not what they said in the original refund email during the closure period. They explicitly said that AP holders who cancelled would get prorated for the cancellation period. This is what I was told when I called back in May to cancel my AP.

That's not what they said in the original refund email during the closure period. They explicitly said that AP holders who cancelled would get prorated for the cancellation period. This is what I was told when I called back in May to cancel my AP.

This is not for people being refunded only for closure who keep. These were people who wanted to cancel the AP altogether.

But, as with everything, things change and it certainly sounds like from a few early reports I have read here and elsewhere, that its not just # of days left that will be refunded If you are canceling out days beyond closure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter