Lasseter may return to Disney

That's ridiculous. Plenty of people work really hard at Facebook, but I'll continue to ignore Facebook until the day I die. There are lots of really committed and passionate people at Apple, but plenty of folks wouldn't be seen dead sporting a device with a fruit logo. Not my war, but I'm cool with people not digging Apple for one reason or another.

Am I obliged to find an hour in my day to read Breitbart and Huff Post? 'cos if it's all the same to you, I'd really rather not.

I think what the person is saying is don't boycott the movies just because John Lasseter is a jerk. There are 1000s of people that worked on that movie and they don't deserve to be mistreated because of one man's behavior (or the company's decision on him). I don't think they are suggesting that you HAVE to watch Incredibles 2 if you don't want to.

I’m not sure where people said they are boycotting Disney animation?

There were a couple of people on here that said they would boycott Disney overall if they kept John on. I suggested this does nothing except hurt yourself, because the amount of people that boycott in these cases is so miniscule that it wouldn't even appear on Disney's radar. But to each his own - do what you feel is right.

I think what the person is saying is don't boycott the movies just because John Lasseter is a jerk. There are 1000s of people that worked on that movie and they don't deserve to be mistreated because of one man's behavior (or the company's decision on him). I don't think they are suggesting that you HAVE to watch Incredibles 2 if you don't want to.

I get that, but the point of a boycott, if one chooses to do so, is to punish a company. The employees are collateral damage. It's unfortunate, but its the shape of things. Any wage slave is at the mercy of decisions made by the C suite, and few of us feel it's entirely fair that we get to pay the price when the bad choices of our employers impact our jobs materially. So how is Pixar/Disney any different to any of the other examples I gave? And as consumers we either stand by our principals, or we inherit the mess we deserve. Isn't that the whole point of consumer choice?

I get that, but the point of a boycott, if one chooses to do so, is to punish a company. The employees are collateral damage. It's unfortunate, but its the shape of things. Any wage slave is at the mercy of decisions made by the C suite, and few of us feel it's entirely fair that we get to pay the price when the bad choices of our employers impact our jobs materially. So how is Pixar/Disney any different to any of the other examples I gave? And as consumers we either stand by our principals, or we inherit the mess we deserve. Isn't that the whole point of consumer choice?

I am not saying one decision is wrong or another. I was just clarifying. The other person was suggesting that the person that really gets punished by you boycotting is not the suits making the decision with their golden parachutes - you are in fact punishing the same wage slaves that are getting harassed by Lasseter. If you are a Pixar employee you choose to stay or go based on your opinion of the situation and I suppose if you stay, you are saying that it's OK with you that Lasseter stays. But maybe you've never even interacted with the guy - and so you could care less for his behavior. So do you deserve to have your work boycotted as well - maybe? probably? It's another problem with boycotting a company.

Talk of boycotting based on alleged transgressions of Lasseter brings to mind the past, where strikes were used to combat employment practices.
http://www.themagicinpixels.com/2018/01/disneys-animators-strike-1941/
https://boingboing.net/2004/12/28/the-legend-of-lost-d.html

The point being, if knowledge of abuse and inappropriate behavior by John Lasseter is enough to boycott all Pixar and Disney Animation work, then you had best boycott most, if not all, of Disney entertainment as it is all tainted by sins of the past. Because harassment was not invented in 2017.

So do you deserve to have your work boycotted as well - maybe? probably? It's another problem with boycotting a company.

Again though, as consumers we have exactly one tool in the box. So either we use the tool, imperfect or impractical as it may be, or we ignore the problem and hope it goes away.

The point being, if knowledge of abuse and inappropriate behavior by John Lasseter is enough to boycott all Pixar and Disney Animation work, then you had best boycott most, if not all, of Disney entertainment as it is all tainted by sins of the past. Because harassment was not invented in 2017.

Is Disney still doing those things? 'cos if not, they aren't relevant.

Again though, as consumers we have exactly one tool in the box. So either we use the tool, imperfect or impractical as it may be, or we ignore the problem and hope it goes away.

I beg to differ but you are wrong. There is at least a third option and that is to communicate to the company through public and private channels. Let them know that you are not happy with their decisions. Start a petition. Go to the shareholder meeting and attempt to pass a resolution. For a publicly traded company there are many options to get your voices heard - a mere boycott does nothing.
Talk of boycotting based on alleged transgressions of Lasseter brings to mind the past, where strikes were used to combat employment practices.
http://www.themagicinpixels.com/2018/01/disneys-animators-strike-1941/

Striking is quite different from boycotting as it is an internal act by employees. It's pretty hard to achieve nowadays outside a union supported environment. Even back in those days it was pretty devastating to the employees and to the company as a whole. You would have to get the employees to walk out of Lasseter, and I am not completely sure there is a lot of support for getting rid of him within the company.

I have nothing concrete but I think Disney is waiting for Pixar Pier to open, John is a true Californian and Pixar is his baby, they will give him one last day in the sun, even if it's privately and not in an official role at the opening.

Afterwards, John and Disney will announce his retirement or that he is moving into a consulting role.

Purely speculation, but that's what I think John is waiting for and had his heart set on and Disney agreed. Maybe the whole 6 months was just to stall.

Maybe they could do that but if people don't think it's safe to speak up, many won't. And if people know there is talk of him coming back, many probably aren't going to feel it's safe to report him or anyone else.
I had a case one time when I worked in retail in college. I was being harrassed (not sexually though) by a power-trip, favortism (sp?)-loving manager (who was just a regular employee when I got hired too).

For whatever reason, despite me having done nothing to incur her ire, she would constantly harrass me. The store manager did nothing because she was friends with her but all the employees could see it and the ones not on my 'side' if you will were her favorites. Anyways the retail chain had an anonymous hotline you could call to report a wide variety of issues.

Finally at the end of my rope I called it and reported her. Obviously though, because it was so well-known, it didn't stay anonymous. Sure enough eventually the store manager asked to speak with me and said "I really wished you would have come to talk to me about this issue" to which I responded "well, I did but you brushed it off and then I just stopped trying with you, all the other employees could see it and some told you about it as well and you still did nothing, I was left with no other choice".

Several weeks later I quit in favor of another retail job, though it was seasonal at a Halloween store, as I had worked there before during the season the year before that and the year before that.

I was well-respected at the Halloween store and made $$$$ more than I was making at the other retail place because they gave me hours--something the other retail place didn't often enough because..it was used as a punishment..the hours were heavily influenced by the power-tripping manager.

A few months after I had quit the bad retail job I saw the harrassing manager working at Chili's though I have no idea how that part came about so I can't really say my issue had anything to do with it or not.

In a nutshell those hotlines and 'if you see something/have something done to you say something" work on paper and in theory but being comfortable to speak up..is very diffcult if you fear reprecussions from that.

Well, looks like Disney waited to announce later Friday to bury the news as best they could, but Lasseter appears to be gone...right move Disney.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/08/business/media/john-lasseter-leaves-disney.html

And I think it’s a good call to split the animation department back to its roots - Animation under one umbrella, Pixar under another. It can’t do anything but help both entities to have single-focused leadership.

I wish Lasseter the best.

I have so many mixed feelings about this. :( There must of been some pretty inappropriate stuff John did for this to happen but I've been such a fan of his.

Here's hoping both studios(WDAS and Pixar) go on to even greater achievements in the future.

Disney FOREVER!

It seems like a half-***ed cop out to me. Either he did something wrong and he should go now, or he didn’t and he should stay. This seems like Disney saying, yeah he did something wrong, but we need him to stick around for several months to help us make some more money. If it’s for transition purposes, then what have they all been doing the last 7 months?! Weak.

It seems like a half-***ed cop out to me. Either he did something wrong and he should go now, or he didn’t and he should stay. This seems like Disney saying, yeah he did something wrong, but we need him to stick around for several months to help us make some more money. If it’s for transition purposes, then what have they all been doing the last 7 months?! Weak.

Well, supposedly he was away on sabbatical so he couldn't do any sort of transition work. It does make sense to me, since someone at his level has a lot of responsibilities and they have to make sure to fill the role (or roles) properly.

Well, supposedly he was away on sabbatical so he couldn't do any sort of transition work. It does make sense to me, since someone at his level has a lot of responsibilities and they have to make sure to fill the role (or roles) properly.
I would not understand Boeing, Exxon, Fox, DreamWorks, or any other corporation doing things this way, so it makes no sense to me for Disney either...

I would not understand Boeing, Exxon, Fox, DreamWorks, or any other corporation doing things this way, so it makes no sense to me for Disney either...

The early reports said that Iger knew since 2010. If that’s true and they just fired him, Lasseter could talk and take out quite a few executives. By paying him the remainder of his contract they get him to remain silent. Firing him could also get quite messy since he’s an executive producer on all animated films until 2019.

Certainly not ideal, but I highly doubt he will be doing any actual consulting. He’s being paid to stay home.

If the reports are true, Iger should have fired him back in 2010. I think he’s doing it this way to protect himself and the other executives.

Remember the Lasseter was a founder of Pixar and it isn’t always easy to just get rid of people with that much legal control. My guess is this YE point was negotiated and agreed to by both sides

There is a ton we don’t know - what the truth is, contractual situations, etc.

I think in the end we will be gone and even if we don’t find it ideal it isn’t still the message he can’t just come back as if nothing thing happened and I think that is a good thing

I have so many mixed feelings about this. :( There must of been some pretty inappropriate stuff John did for this to happen but I've been such a fan of his.

Here's hoping both studios(WDAS and Pixar) go on to even greater achievements in the future.

Disney FOREVER!

I agree. Disney is big on 'virtue signaling' these days though, so I guess it would have been hard for him to hang around...but I think that Disney is throwing their golden goose overboard. I hope they don't go back to making the crappy stuff they were before Lasseter came on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!