Last trip to WDW, August 2019: line cutting, crowds, declining quality, poor service.....so disappointed.

oswald1

DVC owner and DIS shareholder. Fanatic since 1976.
I won't bore you with a long report, suffice it to say that I won't be going back. I have been to WDW so many times that I have lost count. I am a DVC member, original D23 member, stock holder, etc, etc.....all you Disney fanatics understand. My first trip was planned on graph paper. The declining state of the overall experience is so sad and yes, I have noticed over the past 10 yrs or so and tried to ignore it. Cast members are no longer trained as they were, cleanliness has worsened, prices have increased, etc. Being a Disney aficionado has defined me for over 30 yrs, I was a religious follower of several blogs, websites, and back in the day: many books, news journals, papers. Giving up WDW is very hard, I prided myself on free trip planning services for all my friends and family. I loved doing it. We returned yesterday from a one week trip with family. We are all pros, having been so many times. Yes, going to FL in August was stupid, but we have done it before. 2 trips ago, I started being disillusioned and this trip sealed it. Some, but not all, of the notable experiences: Cast members who cannot help with directions, DVC furniture in very rough condition, Exceptionally rude server at Jaleo (very expensive dining), litter noted in every park and at the resort, resort pool shut down for several days due to over-chlorination, incompetent bus driver and one possibly on drugs(scary), but most troubling=the other guests. The rude behavior of the other guests has become so pervasive that it can no longer be ignored. We experienced daily and at almost every ride, people cutting in line and pushing ahead of us in line, also jumping over the ropes to get into the fast pass line from the regular line. At Haunted Mansion, there was not 1 cast member supervising the fast pass line entrance, people were just walking in. In Pandora, the River Journey ride, the cast members stopped filling the boats because people would not leave the exit area due to a light rain outside. They were running the boats empty with a 60+ minute waiting line. I'd like to think the FL heat, daily rain, and heavy crowds caused all of this, but c'mon, that's not reality. Many of the rides and interactive waiting areas were either non functional or sketchy. Many rides were interrupted: COP stopped turning, people mover stopped several times, haunted mansion stopped, spaceship earth stalled, etc. The magic is gone for me, wish I never would have experienced it when it was so amazing, because maybe I wouldn't be so disappointed now.

Come to Disneyland. The magic is still alive over here. Sorry you had such a rough trip to WDW. I 100% believe every thing you said. I have had similar experiences at WDW in recent years. I'm honestly not in a hurry to go back, and I usually go every year.

Yikes! We leave in 8 days. I am hoping ours goes smoother!
I think if you are new to Disney, you will love it. Also, you are going at a better time with smaller crowds. Stay cool, cuz it will still be hot in FL :)

I honestly think it is just luck of the draw, unfortunately. Our first trip Nov 2017 was amazing. We went back Dec 2017 and it was so bad, I considered not ever going back. Well, we decided to try again Nov 2018, and it was wonderful again.

I can’t explain it, but the differences between the 1st/ last trip and the middle bad trip were like night and day. I do think staffing issues might have been a problem (disgusting bathrooms, very slow and lackluster service in restaurants, poorly prepared food, etc) during the bad trip.

I agree, it's not the same...but yet...we still go...and then I say to my self why do we put ourselves through this...we could go to a beach somewhere and relax...but yet...we still go...and overall love Disney...we try to take it all with a grain of salt...but...people are ruder than ever...and I find the cast members hit or miss...which is sad...for the amount we all spend...I know nothing is perfect and you can't please everyone...but yes...some of the magic is gone.

I appreciate your review, and I'm sorry to hear about the negatives in your trip. We've experienced much of what you've described over the years. As such, we've resigned ourselves to going to WDW every few years with large gaps in-between so that we are at least "awed" by the magic of new attractions. Pandora's "Flight of Passage" did that for us last Christmas, but even moreso, Toy Story Land, which blew us away. I think the imagineers are really crushing it these days. And this was the week over Christmas!!! And we were still in awe.... Yay, Disney! I've also learned to lower my expectations and close my eyes (and ears) when needed... I know, it's terrible!

We also use our DVC points elsewhere now. I know it's not a great conversion, but the the DVC folks scouting out the concierge collection resorts & hotels are still requiring these resorts & hotels to meet Disney's high standards (which I find refreshing!). We've used our points at the Mandarin Oriental in DC, Fairmont San Francisco, Keystone Resort (near Vail, CO), among others. But those trips come to mind as really fabulous vacations. We look forward to experiencing Aulani for the first time this winter.

I appreciate your review, and I'm sorry to hear about the negatives in your trip. We've experienced much of what you've described over the years. As such, we've resigned ourselves to going to WDW every few years with large gaps in-between so that we are at least "awed" by the magic of new attractions. Pandora's "Flight of Passage" did that for us last Christmas, but even moreso, Toy Story Land, which blew us away. I think the imagineers are really crushing it these days. And this was the week over Christmas!!! And we were still in awe.... Yay, Disney! I've also learned to lower my expectations and close my eyes (and ears) when needed... I know, it's terrible!

We also use our DVC points elsewhere now. I know it's not a great conversion, but the the DVC folks scouting out the concierge collection resorts & hotels are still requiring these resorts & hotels to meet Disney's high standards (which I find refreshing!). We've used our points at the Mandarin Oriental in DC, Fairmont San Francisco, Keystone Resort (near Vail, CO), among others. But those trips come to mind as really fabulous vacations. We look forward to experiencing Aulani for the first time this winter.
I agree with you, we have used the points all over and have had nice vacations. I still love my DVC points.

I am not near of a regular attender as you are. We have been in 2007, 2011, 2018 and I thought the CMs were great but I feel like the crowds are worse. I really blame the FP+ system and here is why. See when FP was as simple as sticking a room key or ticket in a kiosk and getting a room time the system was fair for everyone. Now with FP+ if you don’t stay on site you are at a severe disadvantage. If you don’t know to plan or book late you are at a severe disadvantage. All the popular rides are booked before the 30 day window and getting there and realizing you can only get a living with the land fast pass must be infuriating. That and all the increased business leads to a more frustrating experience for a lot of people.

We’re new to the mania, the prices throw us off but we either take it or leave it.

Most of the ridiculousness we run into is the huge Brazilian groups, we just got back last week and there were multiple times 4 to 9 people rushed past us to join a group of 15 plus, the poor cast member on BTMR had to wrangle a group of 19 that had trouble understanding into the train. I had to commend him, I wouldn’t want that job. Last Feb we had a Spanish speaking family with a young girl that consistently talked through the entire ride on Kilimanjaro Safari... it was the worst experience ever, it’s now the baseline for all my other “bad” experiences.

I noticed several pieces of trash and gum stuck to notable places throughout the trip. Can’t get the overall experience anywhere else though.

Come to Disneyland. The magic is still alive over here. Sorry you had such a rough trip to WDW. I 100% believe every thing you said. I have had similar experiences at WDW in recent years. I'm honestly not in a hurry to go back, and I usually go every year.

Totally agree - come to Disneyland! 😊

I really empathize with everything you said. Especially other park guests. We had similar trips and stopped going 5 years ago. Started going to Disneyland (also had to do with us moving to the west coast) and it was so magical all over again.

Heading to WDW for the first time in 5 years next month... we’ll see how it goes 😂

I am not near of a regular attender as you are. We have been in 2007, 2011, 2018 and I thought the CMs were great but I feel like the crowds are worse. I really blame the FP+ system and here is why. See when FP was as simple as sticking a room key or ticket in a kiosk and getting a room time the system was fair for everyone. Now with FP+ if you don’t stay on site you are at a severe disadvantage. If you don’t know to plan or book late you are at a severe disadvantage. All the popular rides are booked before the 30 day window and getting there and realizing you can only get a living with the land fast pass must be infuriating. That and all the increased business leads to a more frustrating experience for a lot of people.
I agree with you. I truly feel sorry for people, nice families, who think they can just take their kids to WDW for the trip of a lifetime. I see those families there all the time, totally overwhelmed, standing outside of a popular ride and wondering what to do. Stand in line at some horribly unhealthy counter service place because they are hungry or stand in some other insanely long line to ride a 1 minute ride? All because no one in their right mind would believe you have to plan these trips down to the most minute detail 11 months in advance. The Disney fanatics just roll right over those people, and frankly, I'm one of them. I have loved the challenge and the trip planning, that's the ocd in me. When I see these families, I just want to say, "why didn't you call me, I could have created a wonderful trip for you". There are tons of wonderful trip planning sites online now, but that does not help all the nice families who just don't realize what they are up against.

I agree with you. I truly feel sorry for people, nice families, who think they can just take their kids to WDW for the trip of a lifetime. I see those families there all the time, totally overwhelmed, standing outside of a popular ride and wondering what to do. .... When I see these families, I just want to say, "why didn't you call me, I could have created a wonderful trip for you". There are tons of wonderful trip planning sites online now, but that does not help all the nice families who just don't realize what they are up against.
Same! I plan trips for friends all the time who freak out when their relatives want to just 'wing' it after going on a trip with me and how smooth it was. I try to reach out to everyone I see on the boards to try to give some helpful advice - though I do feel they have to help themselves a little bit and do some research.

I enjoy WDW. Our first trip was '78. We enjoy long weekend trips (especially when we traveled with kids). Our optimal trip is 6 days but we'll do 4. We've gone as long 10 days and that was too much.

As empty nesters, we became DVC members and our pace really slowed down. We no longer hopped from ride to ride to ride. We stroll - not run, we sleep in - no rope drop, we discovered a new world called bars/lounges which eliminates the need for ADRs. There is no longer a need to rush to experience the 'new' experience. We spent Labor Day weekend at WDW, strolling thru SW:GE, not even trying for a ride. We won't stand in a line longer than 20 minutes - more like 15 minutes.

Visiting often we learned to avoid Friday and Saturday night at Epcot. We don't visit MK often because it is so packed. We tend to only do the parks near where we're staying. We avoid water parks - water parks are everywhere so there's no need to do the FL ones, plus the hotel pools have flumes. Basically, we enjoy WDW because we've learned what we like, what we don't like and we vacation accordingly.

February 2020 our eldest will visit with her 8 yo. We will provide the DVC room, air, ticket and might buy a meal plan. At 60 days I'll show them how to do the FP system and how to 'refresh' while on site so they can get more. We won't accompany them. I've over vacationing with kids and trying to fit everything in but that 8yo deserves to see WDW so she shall and she can tell me all about when she gets home.

Seems Disney is putting profit before the original mission for high quality standards...like most companies...

I came back from an overall great experience but, yes, a couple had another couple cut in front of us at Flights of Passage. I had to pay almost an extra grand when I changed my flight because I didn't get any Fastpass except Soarin - and I was staying onsite and logging in at 7 am the day I could add them!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts