Late August weather?

Marciahogan

Earning My Ears
Hello, I’ve always visited WDW in April and May and both were great.... but now Im a single mum and hoping to get to Disney for my 40th next August, late August from 20th. Prices look ok and Ive heard crowds get lighter late August but would love to hear weather advice. Lots of people of said don’t go because of rain but I can’t get there sooner and likewise dont want to save for 12 months for bad weather?! Advice/Experience greatly appreciated.

You may get some rain and thunderstorms and you may not, late August is one of those times of the year where you may be lucky with the weather and you may not, it will still be warm and humid.

You will probably get a rain shower most afternoons but that's standard with Florida from about May- October! It finishes really quickly usually.

We've done last 3 weeks in Aug in 2018 & 2017.

It rained pretty most days, at some point in the afternoon, but not by any means every day. While heavy, it is usually over very quickly.

On only one occasion was it prolonged. We were driving back from Clearwater Beach and there was the kind of downpour I'd never seen before. There was barely any visibility. We were driving along really slowly with our hazards on because that was safer than stopping on the freeway.

That was in 2017, so it didn't put us off.

Be prepared to head for an indoor attraction when the rain comes.

It'll be the heat that gets you anyway. If you can handle the heat, then the rain won't be an issue.

We've done last 3 weeks in Aug in 2018 & 2017.

It rained pretty most days, at some point in the afternoon, but not by any means every day. While heavy, it is usually over very quickly.

On only one occasion was it prolonged. We were driving back from Clearwater Beach and there was the kind of downpour I'd never seen before. There was barely any visibility. We were driving along really slowly with our hazards on because that was safer than stopping on the freeway.

That was in 2017, so it didn't put us off.

Be prepared to head for an indoor attraction when the rain comes.

It'll be the heat that gets you anyway. If you can handle the heat, then the rain won't be an issue.
This is really helpful thank you so much. I guess I take the plunge/risk and booked next week! 🙈

It’s hot. Expect a thunderstorm pretty much every afternoon. It’s usually over pretty quickly and cools things down a little. Humidity is still in the mid to high 90s and is always worse in the morning.

Crowds should ease off considerably because most counties’ school year start around mid month.

Sunscreen, plan some breaks and indoor activities to break up the day and I think you’ll have a great time with your kids 😊

Plan for it to be hot, humid, hot, rainy and very hot. I found the best plan to be to rope drop, do a table service for lunch so you can stay in a nice air conditioned place when outside is very hot and crowded, go back to the resort in the afternoon and then back to a park for evening entertainment when it's a bit cooler.

As others have said, hot and humid with a rain shower or two. I went in May/ June this year and it was 38 degrees so it can be unpredictable. as we weren't expecting those type of temps.

Thanks guys - I did it - booked for August 20th 2020 - never ever booked this far in advance it will be toruture. Now for flights....

Thanks guys - I did it - booked for August 20th 2020 - never ever booked this far in advance it will be toruture. Now for flights....

I hope you have a great time, the wait can seen to take so long but it will come around for sure, were looking at going Halloween 2020 but have to wait till November to book our DVC resort and flights and that wait time seems to take so long.

Who you booking flights with as most will only let you book 11 months out.

I hope you have a great time, the wait can seen to take so long but it will come around for sure, were looking at going Halloween 2020 but have to wait till November to book our DVC resort and flights and that wait time seems to take so long.

Who you booking flights with as most will only let you book 11 months out.
Very good question, I've never booked without flights before but I've done it this time. Purely becasue I'm travelling alone this year with my son so needed a little more time to save, the cost of one adult is so marginal with Disney. The prices were coming out the same pretty much for May, Oct or August so I went with August as its my Birthday and would be a good excuse. Halloween is definirelt on my wish list Ive heard such great things!

Any recomendations on flights? I've heard Norweigen Airlines are good but worried as I've never flew with them and would need the great in flight entertainment for my 9 year old!

Very good question, I've never booked without flights before but I've done it this time. Purely becasue I'm travelling alone this year with my son so needed a little more time to save, the cost of one adult is so marginal with Disney. The prices were coming out the same pretty much for May, Oct or August so I went with August as its my Birthday and would be a good excuse. Halloween is definirelt on my wish list Ive heard such great things!

Any recomendations on flights? I've heard Norweigen Airlines are good but worried as I've never flew with them and would need the great in flight entertainment for my 9 year old!

We always fly with Virgin Atlantic but i know others have said they get good deals with other airlines, if you book with Virgin at 11 months out I find the prices extremely good.

Booked for May 2020, but, thinking of changing it to August or September 2020 as it is a lot cheaper and I wouldn't mind being there for my birthday in late August. I have been in early September and it did rain, but, not cold miserable rain like over here. It's the heat and humidity that can be an issue, but, keeping well hydrated and taking it all at a sensible pace, no racing around, works for me. American and Scottish schools are back then and you may get more adult guests without kiddos going then.

Booked for May 2020, but, thinking of changing it to August or September 2020 as it is a lot cheaper and I wouldn't mind being there for my birthday in late August. I have been in early September and it did rain, but, not cold miserable rain like over here. It's the heat and humidity that can be an issue, but, keeping well hydrated and taking it all at a sensible pace, no racing around, works for me. American and Scottish schools are back then and you may get more adult guests without kiddos going then.

I have American family, so I used to travel to Florida (nr Daytona) most summers.

Hands down my favourite times of the year are late April (warm but not hot, consistent weather) and September (hot, but not oppressive, daily storms). Sounds stupid liking the time of year when rain is guaranteed, but like you say, it's not the rain we get. I like the afternoon storms...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!