Layoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

randumb0

Party at Mickey's
With Universal reducing park hours and laying people off, should we expect the same at Disney?

Hopefully the elderly fellow that was been working the security gate at Beach Club since forever gets to retire like he told us he would. We've been seeing him there for many, many years, and he told us the last time we were there that he was looking to retire soon.

It really depends on what the current staffing situation is at WDW. It doesn't seem like there are "excess" CM's around the parks based on reports from those actually there.

Just rumour haven't heard any other site agreeing. This is huge it would be everywhere if it was true 😥

Well, it's a "news article" based on a rumor by an individual on a certain forum who doesn't always have the best track record when it comes to their rumors (especially recently). So, no, I don't think it's the end of Disney.
Okay, thanks.

With Universal reducing park hours and laying people off, should we expect the same at Disney?

Hours seem roughly the same as I was last there in mid-June. Both parks were open 9am - 5pm on weekdays and open 9am to 6pm on weekends, if I'm recalling correctly.

Now the parks will stagger opening/closings -- US will open at 9am and close at 5pm, while IOA will open at 10am and close at 6pm every day. So now a park will be open until 6pm every day, while before, on weekdays they were only open until 5pm. Seems more like an expansion than a reduction, if you view it that way.

Edit:
Or am I perhaps remembering wrong? I know they were open an hour later on weekends than weekdays, which is no longer the case. Maybe it was they were open until 6pm on weekdays, but open until 7pm on weekends? Anyway, it's a relatively minor shift, with both parks staggered, which actually makes more sense.

Last edited:
It really depends on what the current staffing situation is at WDW. It doesn't seem like there are "excess" CM's around the parks based on reports from those actually there.
I would expect the layoffs (within parks and resorts; there are likely to be layoffs in other units of TWDC as well) to focus more so on mid-level management roles and certain Office and Technical roles, especially those in roles that are temporarily obsolete due to the pandemic like Event Services, Fairy Tale Weddings, Disney Meetings, group marketing, Disney Sports Enterprises, even Holiday Services. While there may be some front-line CMs involved, I’d expect way more to be in the aforementioned areas. It’s was UOR did and no doubt Disney will follow suit.

Maybe they shouldn't be announcing new projects and new deals costing millions during a pandemic and focus on taking care of the CMs that are the real face of Disney and don't make much to start with.

Anyone who even thinks Disney would take care of their employees is living in Fantasyland. WDW thinks of their employees as indentured servants, not employees or Cast Members. Not since the first 10-yrs of the Eisner Reign have employees felt like valued members of "The World".

So the fact that Disney paid for furloughed employees benefits for the first month on COVID shut down is treating their employees as "indentured servents" ???? Disney is a corporation that has to ultimately answer to its stock holders, but their history does not come to the histrionics as posted above.

I have a friend that works at WDW and she loves it, always says she's glad she made the move down there (not in the parks, but an office job). I doubt she would say that if she was treated as an indentured servent.

Anyone who even thinks Disney would take care of their employees is living in Fantasyland. WDW thinks of their employees as indentured servants, not employees or Cast Members. Not since the first 10-yrs of the Eisner Reign have employees felt like valued members of "The World".
The changes at Disney are not for the best. It's slowly turning into a giant weekend carnival. The people running the parks should treat guests and yes employees as we expense.

Not enough people staffing food venues and rides. The prices they charge should reflect adequate value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter