Least Expensive Portable Wi-Fi Device?

TinkOhio

DIS Veteran
I'm hoping that some of the tech-savvy Dis people can provide some direction. Long story short, my daughter is taking a very challenging college course over the summer and we are trying to find ways for her to access the computer-based curriculum during down times at work. Her class lasts around 3 hours each day, and she spends a minimum of 4 hours per day doing homework online. She also works daily before heading to class. There is no Wi-Fi access at the part of the property where she is stationed at work, and she has down time for at least two hours per day. She would love to complete at least part of her homework during her down time. She uses an Acer laptop to access the program online. Is there a portable Wi-Fi source that is easy on the wallet that you would recommend? She has an I-phone and the Acer is obviously not an Apple product.

Thanks so much for any suggestions!

Last edited:
You can look into this http://www.internet-go.com/ its a portable hotspot. We used to have it when the kids had ipods and we used it for traveling. Haven't used in 7 or 8 years though so no current experience. But it fit our needs then.

more details on your cell phone plan... Most carriers also include hotspots so you can turn your iPhone into a hotspot and have the acer connect via iPhone wifi. of course, if she may be limited on how much data can go through it(varies by your plan)

Does the isp that you use at home happen have wi-fi access stations? (I'm not sure what they are called...) I am on Comcast, and you can access wi-fi anywhere by logging into the xfinity signal with your Comcast user/pw.

Look into renting a MiFi or similar with an appropriate data plan. If you only need it for a few months, why buy a device and commit to a plan.

I was just going to say if she has an iPhone, she can turn it into a hotspot. My tmobile plan includes unlimited hotspot which we use a lot when dining out so my daughter can watch youtube on her ipad mini.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter