• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Leaving for DLP in 15 days, and I still have a few questions

smilingmouse

<font color=CC00FF>Eeyore's Girl ~ <font color=gre
Once again, I have a few questions for all of you DLP experts. Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated

1. Can you catch the RER at CDG from terminal 2? If not, do I need to go to terminal 1?

2. Do they have an outlet with Disney merchandise at Val d'Europe?

3.. Can you buy "Paris Visite" tickets with a credit card?

4. Does anyone know which stores at DLP give you a 10% discount with the Paris Visite pass?

Well. that's it for now, but I'm sure I'll think of more... :)

Thanks again! :flower1: :jumping4:

Can only answer question 2, I'm afraid as we drove to DLP....

YES, they do have a Disney Store styled outlet at Val d'Europe - it was selling some DLP stuff and some regular DS things a week before Christmas.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know/ remember if the prices at the outlet were cheaper than in DLP/DS itself?

Thanks again :)

1. Yes you can catch the RER from terminal 2. However, you will have to take the RER to central paris and then change lines to go to disney. It will take about 1h30 mins or so. If you are going directly to disney and dont need to go into Paris I would suggest taking the TGV bullet train from CDG terminal 2 directly to disney. It takes 10 minutes.

2. The discount Disney Store is called Donaldson. Its more like disney corporate branded wear than stuff that you find in the park. Its very nice and is at least 33 percent off retail and sometimes more.

3. Yes you can buy a Paris visit ticket with a credit card.

4. cant help you on this one...

MorganB said:
1. Yes you can catch the RER from terminal 2. However, you will have to take the RER to central paris and then change lines to go to disney. It will take about 1h30 mins or so. If you are going directly to disney and dont need to go into Paris I would suggest taking the TGV bullet train from CDG terminal 2 directly to disney. It takes 10 minutes.

2. The discount Disney Store is called Donaldson. Its more like disney corporate branded wear than stuff that you find in the park. Its very nice and is at least 33 percent off retail and sometimes more.

3. Yes you can buy a Paris visit ticket with a credit card.

4. cant help you on this one...

Morgan,

THANK YOU!!!!!

Do you happen to know the cost of taking the TGV to DLP? Is there a web site that lists prices.

Thanks for the help/info :)

Your most welcome :)

The train has two prices depending on what time you take it. It is either 21.30 euros or 13.80 euros. Thats for a plain full fare one way ticket. If you get a round trip that includes a weekend stay or if there is more than one person traveling you can usually get a 25 percent discount. There are something like 18 trains a day or so.

You can check times and book at http://www.voyages-sncf.com .

If you prefer english , scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the british flag in the bottom left hand corner. Your departure should read AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV and your destination *MARNE LA VALLEE CHESSY. Their website can be picky at times and it may make you chose the destination from a pop up list. Just play around and you will get it to work.

MorganB said:
Your most welcome :)

The train has two prices depending on what time you take it. It is either 21.30 euros or 13.80 euros. Thats for a plain full fare one way ticket. If you get a round trip that includes a weekend stay or if there is more than one person traveling you can usually get a 25 percent discount. There are something like 18 trains a day or so.

You can check times and book at http://www.voyages-sncf.com .

If you prefer english , scroll down to the bottom of the page and click the british flag in the bottom left hand corner. Your departure should read AEROPORT CDG 2 TGV and your destination *MARNE LA VALLEE CHESSY. Their website can be picky at times and it may make you chose the destination from a pop up list. Just play around and you will get it to work.

Morgan,

Thanks again for the info. I REALLY appreciate it. Do you happen to know how difficult it is to navigate through the Chalet les Halles station with luggage? Each of us will have a small suitcase and a shoulder carrt-on bag. Are there a lot of stairs to climb?

Your welcome. Are you talking about changing lines there or starting your trip there?

Assuming you are changing lines.......

Chatelet is gigantic but if you are just changing RER lines then it shouldnt be too bad because the lines are all in one place. You usually can find escalators. Expect loads of people in the station and do be aware of your possessions. Dragging around suitcases marks you as a tourist and therefore a target for pickpockets.

I cant really remember how the line from the airport and the line to disney connect. Best case would be just walking across the platform to get onto the other line. Worst case would be up an escalator, walk through a central plaza area that connects all the RER lines and then back down another escalator.

If you are going to just take the RER from chatelet entering from the street then you could really end up walking alot with loads of stairs. There are probably 10 street entrances to Chatelet that span several blocks. Without knowing which one is best to go into you could have quite a walk.

After navigating Chatelet des halles station on our first trip - we renamed it chatelet des hells. It is enormous!

On our recent trip we used silvershuttle which is a bookable transfer service (people carrier type thing) which was only 40 euros for all 4 of us - they loaded the luggage in and out and we were at our hotel in 30 mins. Highly recommended.

Sorry I don't know the answers to the others!

Charmed :charac2:

MorganB said:
Your welcome. Are you talking about changing lines there or starting your trip there?

Assuming you are changing lines.......

Chatelet is gigantic but if you are just changing RER lines then it shouldnt be too bad because the lines are all in one place. You usually can find escalators. Expect loads of people in the station and do be aware of your possessions. Dragging around suitcases marks you as a tourist and therefore a target for pickpockets.

I cant really remember how the line from the airport and the line to disney connect. Best case would be just walking across the platform to get onto the other line. Worst case would be up an escalator, walk through a central plaza area that connects all the RER lines and then back down another escalator.

If you are going to just take the RER from chatelet entering from the street then you could really end up walking alot with loads of stairs. There are probably 10 street entrances to Chatelet that span several blocks. Without knowing which one is best to go into you could have quite a walk.

Morgan,

We will be going from CDG airport to DLP direct. Is the route/directions to the A4 (DLP) line well marked. I've been to DLP before, but we took the VEA shuttle last time. This time, we're opting for the RER since we are getting a Paris Visite 5 day, 5 zone tickets after we get in.

Discharmed, unfortunately, silvershuttle isn't running while we're there....

Thanks again for all of the help :) :flower1: :flower1: :flower: :flower:

Smiling Mouse,

I follow you now. I forgot that Paris Visit card was a transportation card. I always get a Carte Orange instead.

So as it seems you already know, you take the RER B from CDG into Paris and get off at Chatelet.

Once you are in the Chatelet station, the line A is well marked but the french logic of signage doesnt always fit with our american brains. It took me a bit to get used to the way the arrows point. Just keep your eyes open for the signs and you should be fine. Just in case you dont know the word "Sortie" means exit. Dont follow that or you will end up out on the street.

You will look for signs to the RER A. The RER A is color coded red as well so that should be indicated on the sign. You will be looking for RER A4 Marne-La-Vallee (Disneyland Paris). Follow the signs all the way to the platform.

The line A splits when going out towards disney. Therefore some trains do not go to Disney. You must be on the right train or you will end up at Boissy St Leger instead. When you are standing on the platform look above you and down the platform. You will see a sign hanging above the platform with all the stops listed on it. Before a train pulls into the station this sign will have a white dot lit up next to every station served by that particualar RER train. It will remain that way until the train has exited the station and then it changes to show what stations the next RER serves. When you see Marne La Vallee lit, you know its the right train.

It takes about 35 -40 minutes to get to Chatelet on the RER B and then about another 40 minutes to get to Disney from Chatelet on the RER A. Thats travel time not including waiting for the train and changes.

I am assuming that you are flying to CDG from the US. Personally I would drop the 14 euros each and take the TGV. It will save you a HUGE amount of time and alot of effort. But I do understand with the dollar being so weak every penny counts!

Morgan,

Thanks bunches for the directions. I really appreciate the help.

I speak French, so reading the signs shouldn't be too much of a problem. I guess I'm just stressing a bit because my mom, who doesn't speak French and has never been to Europe, is joining me this time. I have a feeling that taking the Metro will be quite the experience for mom :)

We may end up taking the TGV....it really depends on what Mom decides :)

I have (yet another) question for you. Do you know where I can find a list of the discounts available with the Paris Visite? I looked on ratp.fr, but I didn't find anything...I've heard that you get a 10% merch. discount at DLP, but I don't know if it is offered at all stores, or just certain ones.....

Thanks again :flower1: :flower1: :flower1:

Where did you hear that you get 10 percent off? Here is the ParisVisite website but there is no mention of a disney discount amoung the privilidges:

http://www.parisvisite.tm.fr

You know the Carte Orange for one week is alot cheaper than the Paris visite right?

I had another thought about chatelet. Not sure what time you will be there but if it is between 645 and 9 am you can expect it to be wall to wall people because that will be rush hour. Everything will be completely packed which does make it more difficult with luggage. If you arent there during rush hour it wont be bad.

MorganB said:
Where did you hear that you get 10 percent off? Here is the ParisVisite website but there is no mention of a disney discount amoung the privilidges:

http://www.parisvisite.tm.fr

You know the Carte Orange for one week is alot cheaper than the Paris visite right?

I had another thought about chatelet. Not sure what time you will be there but if it is between 645 and 9 am you can expect it to be wall to wall people because that will be rush hour. Everything will be completely packed which does make it more difficult with luggage. If you arent there during rush hour it wont be bad.

Morgan,

Thanks for the link. I know the Orange is cheaper. But, I'm going to be in Paris drom a Friday-Tuesday, so I'm not sure it will work (aren't the Orange valid from Sun-Sat of the same week?). We will be traveling on the RER between 10-11 AM, so I'm hoping that traffic won't be too bad.

Here is the link that mentions the 10% off (check the clixk here for details): http://www.conciergerie.com/main.htm?O=CC

Can I pester you with a new question: is the FDR metro stop the best one to use for shopping on the champs Eleysses? We are planning to go to Virgin, the Disney store, and Berthillon (please excuse the spelling, I am a terrible speller :blush: )

Thanks again :) :cheer2: :cheer2: :wizard: :wizard:

You are right, Carte Orange wont work for your days. Chatelet should be fine by 10 am. I checked out your link and as I read it the discount is at table service restaurants (restaurants with waiters such as Walts, Blue Lagoon etc) and not at stores.

FDR is the closest to Virgin and Disney. However, if you are coming from DLP then I would just take the RER all the way to Charles de Gaulle Etoile and walk down the Champs-Elysees. That way you dont have to change. You will come out right next to the Arch de Triomph. It makes for a nice stroll and that way your mom will get a good look at the Arch. You can go to the top of the Arch if you are into that sort of thing. It offers great views of Paris.

If you do choose to change at Chatelet onto the line 1, expect a very long walk inside the station.

Morgan,

Thanks again for all of the help :) I think I'll take your advice re: metro stops @ Champs Elysees. We will be coming to the CE from inside Paris, but I want Mom to get a good vire of the Arc de Triumphe.

I'm happy to see that Paris hasn't been too cold lately (when compared to MN:) ). Do you have any recommendations for good French restaurants that aren't too expensive? Mom has asked me how much we will spend on food. I have to tell her that I don't know, since prices vary so much....

Only 8 days to go, and I have so much to do......

Thanks again!

Paris hasn't had many colds days at all this winter which is most unusual. I hope that holds out for you. I keep expecting it to turn very cold at any time.

Are you looking for restaurants in any particular neighborhood? There's a great restaurant near where I live for around 32 euros which includes 3 courses, house cocktail, half a bottle of wine per person and coffee. But I dont live in the tourist area so it would probably be out of the way for you. Let me know what area you will be in and I will see what I can think of. I dont eat out alot but I might can come up with a couple of ideas.

MorganB said:
Paris hasn't had many colds days at all this winter which is most unusual. I hope that holds out for you. I keep expecting it to turn very cold at any time.

Are you looking for restaurants in any particular neighborhood? There's a great restaurant near where I live for around 32 euros which includes 3 courses, house cocktail, half a bottle of wine per person and coffee. But I dont live in the tourist area so it would probably be out of the way for you. Let me know what area you will be in and I will see what I can think of. I dont eat out alot but I might can come up with a couple of ideas.

Morgan,

Thanks again for making my trip planning soooo much easier :cheer2: :cheer2:

We will be visiting the Eiffel Tower, louvre, Notre Dame, the Opera, and a few other touristy sites. It seems that the cafes near Notre Dame, as well as the restaurants near Les Hales, seem to be reasonably priced. I'm also interested in non-tourist area restaurants...Our problem will be my mom, who is a VERY picky eater....

Honestly, I'm interested in any suggestions :D

Yes your mom being picky will be a problem. I have been through that with relatives and they always ended up ordering steak. Steak here for the most part is not any where near as good as in the US. Alternately we ended up in pizza places or McDonalds.

The restaurant in my neighborhood is the Bistrot de la Porte Doree (5 Boulevard Soult 75012 phone: 01 43 43 80 27) which is on the east side of Paris next to Bois de Vincennes.

For an area of somewhat less touristy restaurants look in the following streets: Rue Mabillon, Rue Guisarde, Rue Princesse and Rue des Canettes. This is a little 3 block area next to Metro Mabillon and the Marche St Germain.

For an amazing grocery / fine prepared foods experience, check out the Grand Epicerie at the Bon Marche department store Metro Sevre Babylone. You cant eat there but you could find things for a picnic or to eat in your room.

For an inexpensive casual restaurant with good quality basic "home cooking" food, try Le Petit Baigneur 10 Rue de la Sabliere 75014 phone 01 45 45 47 12 metro Alesia.

I would avoid the area in the Latin Quarter around Rue de la Huchette. This is the most touristy of all restarant areas and the quality and cleanlyness of the food is questionable at best. Not to say that all the restaurants are bad but you would have a better chance of ending up in a bad one rather than a good one.

If your mom is totally desperate for some american food, take her to Breakfast in America (http://www.breakfast-in-america.com/) Its not just breakfast food. It's diner style food with grilled cheeses, hambergers etc. Hope that helps!

Morgan,

Once again, thanks bunches....I appreciate all of the help/advice :)

Have you checked the Space Mountain thread recently? We are trying to organize a mini Dis meet before the event. It would be wonderful if yiou could join us :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter