Let Your Fantasies & Dreams SET SAIL! March 2019 Western Caribbean TR *COMPLETE 9/6

The Disney Tunes trivia was actually REALLY fun!
I've only done something like that once, but it is a lot of fun. It was several years ago when my family stayed at AoA, they had a trivia contest every afternoon at the pool. The one day we played they did Disney song trivia and played little clips. We actually did well and ended up in 1st place and DD got a little blow up pool toy. But I think we just got lucky with the songs they played because I can see how it would be really frustrating with certain songs.

We were seated right next to one of the tanks! That was pretty exciting. The kids loved the characters coming to swim by, and trying to guess what kind of shapes the moonfish were making.
Looks like fun! Definitely a good way to keep kids occupied while you wait for food.

Then it was time to order! They did things a little differently this night and took our order for all of the courses at once since the show would be happening later in the night. They didn’t want us to miss anything during the show because they were taking our dessert order.
So I have a question (as someone who has never done a cruise). Do you have to eat at Animator's Palate? My family are pretty "plain Jane" eaters and the meals look good, but a touch on the "fancy" side. If I ever do a cruise, I'm just wondering how this type of restaurant would go over with my bunch. I have read about rotational dining but don't know much about it, and if you have options to skip a restaurant if you want.

So then after that excitement, we were treated to what ended up being my favorite of the shows that we saw on the ship…Wishes! Hearing the music from such a beloved fireworks show made me tear up a bit. The premise of the show itself was a bit cheesy, but I really loved the musical numbers they did. My favorites were Hawaiian Roller Coaster Ride, Kiss the Girl, I’ve Got a Dream, and Bring Honor To Us All.
As much as I enjoyed Happily Ever After, I really do miss the music from Wishes. So nice that they have it in a show on the cruise.

Full disclosure I also got a Sundae with my Cheesecake!
You are living up to your DIS Dad status! :rotfl2:

Full disclosure I also got a Sundae with my Cheesecake! :rotfl:

I'll have to pay better attention to my notes!!

I've only done something like that once, but it is a lot of fun. It was several years ago when my family stayed at AoA, they had a trivia contest every afternoon at the pool. The one day we played they did Disney song trivia and played little clips. We actually did well and ended up in 1st place and DD got a little blow up pool toy. But I think we just got lucky with the songs they played because I can see how it would be really frustrating with certain songs.

Our next trip we'll have a down day at AKL so hopefully they have something like this going on while we're down at the pool. It's fun! I think the Tunes Trivia was made more difficult because they were playing it on the piano instead of the original song. It was fun that they asked bonus questions too though, because sometimes that helped at least point us in the right direction. lol

Looks like fun! Definitely a good way to keep kids occupied while you wait for food.

It was a lot of fun! It was really cool being right next to the tank too. I was really giddy when I walked in the restaurant and saw that!

So I have a question (as someone who has never done a cruise). Do you have to eat at Animator's Palate? My family are pretty "plain Jane" eaters and the meals look good, but a touch on the "fancy" side. If I ever do a cruise, I'm just wondering how this type of restaurant would go over with my bunch. I have read about rotational dining but don't know much about it, and if you have options to skip a restaurant if you want.

You pretty much never have to do anything you don't want to on a Disney cruise! It will be on your rotation at least once, but on any given night, you can eat somewhere besides your main dining room. The pool grill is open until like 11 pm, and Cabanas is a buffet at breakfast & lunch but is a table service at dinner and you can order selections from any of the dining rooms from there. Plus there's always the complimentary room service, just need to tip. However, I will say, we are very plain Jane eaters too, and found the food really good. You can ask for it as plain as you want, there are always a steak, roasted chicken, and salmon on the menu, and if you aren't sure about something, you can order more than one. DH did that a few times with apps, but you can do it with any course. The menus are posted in the Navigator app too, so you can look ahead and see if you want to skip the restaurant that night, which we did one night.

Just to give a quick rundown on the rotational dining, our key to the world cards had the rotation on it. Ours was I think RAERAAE (Royal Court, Animator's Palate, Enchanted Garden). So whichever restaurant you are assigned to that night is your restaurant, you can't for example say well I don't want to go to Animator's tonight, I'll just go to Royal Court. You have an assigned table that is the same each night at each restaurant (so every night at each restaurante we were at Table 6). So while you can't just go to another one, like I mentioned above there are several other options for dinner. Hopefully that helps!

As much as I enjoyed Happily Ever After, I really do miss the music from Wishes. So nice that they have it in a show on the cruise.

I do too!! Not only did they play the music from Wishes, when the cruise director came out on stage they always played a clip of music from the old castle stage show Dream Along With Mickey, which I also loved. DS and I used to listen to it all of the time in the car when I'd bring him to daycare because he loved it, so it's always held a special spot in my heart.

You are living up to your DIS Dad status! :rotfl2:

:rotfl::rotfl2:

Pictionary and Disney Tunes both sound like they were a lot of fun!

Cute pics of the kids with Pluto & Goofy!

Sounds like a great dinner at Animators Palette!

That was so awesome to bring the kids popcorn! Also I gotta laugh at the things Disney chooses and chooses not to include as part of the unlimited dining!

Love that you ordered a Sunday with your cheesecake! Your kiddos are adorable. We own DVC at ALK and the pool has lots of great games including trivia ones and music! Not to mention all the other great activities for kids. Mine loved collecting beads doing them!

Enjoying your trip report. Sounds like a great time. My husband & I will b sailing on the Fantasy on Feb 29 & celebrating our 50 Th wedding anniversary so reading & following your report just gets me more excited & ready 4 our cruise. Thanks 4 sharing.

Pictionary and Disney Tunes both sound like they were a lot of fun!

Cute pics of the kids with Pluto & Goofy!

Sounds like a great dinner at Animators Palette!

That was so awesome to bring the kids popcorn! Also I gotta laugh at the things Disney chooses and chooses not to include as part of the unlimited dining!

We really enjoyed the onboard entertainment! It was fun stuff we could all do together, though DD was still a bit too young for some of it.

The characters were so plentiful on the cruise, and we really enjoyed how easy it was to meet them compared to the parks.

Raf was really awesome, and this was only one of the ways he showed us how awesome he was!!

RIGHT?!? You can order steak and lobster at dinner, but gotta pay for that popcorn!!!!

Love that you ordered a Sunday with your cheesecake! Your kiddos are adorable. We own DVC at ALK and the pool has lots of great games including trivia ones and music! Not to mention all the other great activities for kids. Mine loved collecting beads doing them!

DH was not shy at all about ordering multiple desserts!! lol I guess when you're on a cruise, why not since you already paid for it all!

We just booked our first AKV stay for a full trip as DVC owners for February, so hopefully it's warm enough to enjoy the pool! We never got the chance to do it on our our pre or post nights around the cruise.

Enjoying your trip report. Sounds like a great time. My husband & I will b sailing on the Fantasy on Feb 29 & celebrating our 50 Th wedding anniversary so reading & following your report just gets me more excited & ready 4 our cruise. Thanks 4 sharing.

Thanks for following along! Hopefully by the time DH and I make it to our 50th, we are still getting to go on DCL! It sounds like a great way to celebrate.

Day 4: Monday March 4th

On our first port day, we were docked in Cozumel, Mexico. We were up around 7 am so we could go grab breakfast before checking in for our port adventure. But our first piece of business was giving our Mickey on our stateroom door a little pirate flair since it was going to be Pirate Night when we got back on the ship that evening.

IMG_1596
by disneymom1024, on Flickr
We had breakfast at Cabanas, which was an interesting experience since DD decided to randomly topple off her chair at one point while DH was up at the buffet getting food. Gotta love going out to eat with the kids, they are never boring, that’s for sure!

After we ate, we went back to the stateroom to get our stuff for the day…camera, sunscreen, all that good stuff. We were meeting in the Buena Vista Theater for our port adventure, and they grouped us all by giving us character stickers. We were in the Pluto group for our Chocolate & Piñata Seaside Workshop port adventure. I might have mentioned earlier but I also might have forgotten, DS had a classmate from school (C) who was on the same cruise with her family, and her and her mom (N) were also doing this same port adventure! The kids were very excited to have a friend, and they were very chatty for the whole morning.

We disembarked and headed down to where our transportation would pick us up.

DCL19 03-001

DCL19 03-002
DS & C

It was a quick (and a little harrowing) taxi ride over to where we would be learning to make chocolate & piñatas. First we got a quick history on chocolate making in Mexico and how it goes from cocoa beans into chocolate. Then came the fun part of getting to make our own!

Our host passed around some of the tools they used to grind up the beans.

We ended up with a big lump of chocolate.

DCL19 03-012
Next we had to flatten it out.

DCL19 03-013

Then they came around with the sugar and we added A LOT to our chocolate. But they did let us know even with this much sugar, it would still be a very dark chocolate.

DCL19 03-014
After mixing the sugar in, they brought us some cute little Mickey head molds to press it in, and then we could write our names on the back.

They took our chocolates to cool, then came my favorite part…chocolate tasting!! We got to taste several different varieties, like white, milk, dark, and some with cactus and some with cinnamon.

They were all really delicious! The cinnamon was probably my least favorite, but it wasn’t bad by any means. The rest were just that good. The cactus chocolate was the surprise hit, and when it came time later on to buy some to take home if you’d like, DH and I decided to get a bar of that one since it’s pretty unique. They also had some small samplers so we got one of those also.

UP NEXT: Pinatas & More Chocolate!

Sounds like a great excursion and fun for the kids! Bet they loved doing activities vs going sightseeing. Seems like your kids are the perfect age for a Disney cruise.

Finally got caught up with this one after my WDW trip last week!

We were a bit early, so the priest was talking to us as he set up for the service, and he asked DS if he would like to come up and help at the altar. DS was happy to have a job!
That's pretty nice and cool for your DS!

He said he was from Dublin, Ireland, and DS looked at me with wide eyes and asked, “Did he just say he was from Goblin Island?!” It took everything in me not to bust out laughing right then & there! :rotfl2: I could see his cute little 8 year old mind absolutely blown at the idea of there being a place out there called Goblin Island.
Haha, hilarious!

DH had Sofia’s Selection which I can’t find on the menus I found online, but I know he added the bacon, so it looks like it came with pancakes and Mickey waffles.

Mmm, that looks pretty yummy! I wish they had that sort of meal on the final disembarkation breakfast.

That was pretty cool with the chocolate. How did it end up tasting? Looks like the kids were having fun!

We did that adventure in Cozumel too. DD was 4 or 5 at the time and she loved it! I'm glad you had fun.

Really enjoying your trip report.

We have sailed with Raf before, he is great!

I had no idea they offered mass on board the ship; that's a pretty neat place for the priest to work!

Mass is not available on all sailings, but if a priest is aboard, they do try to make this available.

Please do not skip the fun of the MDR by being worried about the food being too fancy. There are plain options available each night, and you do not need to order appetizers or desserts if you do not want them. Scott's DCL blog has menus from all the ships. If you look at the dinner menus, you will see that plain chicken, steak and salmon are offered every night and served will steamed veggies and rice or a baked potato.

Sounds like a great excursion and fun for the kids! Bet they loved doing activities vs going sightseeing. Seems like your kids are the perfect age for a Disney cruise.

They did end up being great ages, though I was a bit nervous at first for DD. I was glad this excursion was an option because I think it was the best choice for their age difference, and we had fun too!

What a fun workshop!! Sounds like a fun activity for both the kids and the adults :)

I expected it would be fun for the kids, but it was a lot of fun for DH & me too!

What a unique port adventure! Love it!

It was a lot of fun, and only took up part of our day in the morning, so that was nice.

That's pretty nice and cool for your DS!

He was so proud of himself to have a job during mass!

Haha, hilarious!

I can only imagine what went through his little 8 year old mind when he thought he heard "Goblin Island" lol

Mmm, that looks pretty yummy! I wish they had that sort of meal on the final disembarkation breakfast.

Wouldn't that be nice?!

What a fantastic excursion! That is definitely something my family could do.

It was a lot of fun for all ages. We are not big beach people so this was great for us.

That was pretty cool with the chocolate. How did it end up tasting? Looks like the kids were having fun!

Let's just say, I'm glad we bought some of the real stuff... lol

We did that adventure in Cozumel too. DD was 4 or 5 at the time and she loved it! I'm glad you had fun.

It's a great excursion for kids that age!

Really enjoying your trip report.

We have sailed with Raf before, he is great!

Thanks for joining in!!

We really loved Raf! He is definitely best of the best when it comes to Disney CMs.

That's a fun excursion for kids!

It was a lot of fun for all of us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter