Lets Get Cooking......

MBTigger

Designated Bouncer
We have dietary restrictions in our household that make a kitchen a HUGE preference for a long term stay. While I am no professional Chef I like to think I am a damn good home cook (yeah, that's right. I replaced my usual r with the n for emphasis. THAT'S how much confidence I place in my cooking skillz! - ((Thanks to Alton Brown, Harold McGee and The Flavor Bible))

Did I just do a parenthetical INSIDE a parenthetical? That's like 16 parentheticals and breaks all rules of good writing!. Or maybe it does not - my degree is in chemistry not english (could it BE more obvious?). Crap - these parenthesis are addictive - you can't use just ONE!

Going OUTSIDE of the parenthetical, my situation has made me start to think about cooking at DVC resorts and what kitchens are best. I am not Currently a DVC member, but have rented one this winter have decided that if we return from our trip planning our NEXT trip, we will buy into DVC. So that is the question!. What kitchens at DVC properties are best to cook in and why? While not a big deciding factor, I will probably spend more time in the kitchen than 80% of the folks who would use DVC, so it is something to consider!

(thanks for you answer in advance. I need a parenthetical support group)
MB

I'm not sure if there is much of a different between any of the kitchens. The larger room at say OKW might have more kitchen space than another. They should all be equipped the same. We use the kitchen a TON, but I don't think the kitchen would affect my decision on where to stay at all. My kids don't really eat park food, and after 4 days the adults get sick of it as well. Eggs, Pasta, Sandwiches, Pancakes... we use the kitchen a ton for quick meals.

All kitchens are the same, electric cook tops all stocked with the same equipment . The only resorts that have an advantage here are the ones that have gas grills.

Laura

There is some variety in the layout of the rooms. What size unit are you looking at and how many people will you have?

I would look at the floor plans to see if you have a preference.

They are all equipped the same, but I find Animal Kingdom Kidani very easy to use. Grand Floridian is well laid out. Old Key West is nice and big—I actually made a three tiered wedding cake in an Old Key West Kitchen a few years ago, using the equipment provided in the villa.

BWV, SSR, BCV and BRV all have tiny, tight kitchens. I find the space limiting and frustrating. I can make them work though.

The kitchens in CCV would drive me crazy if I were cooking. It’s a galley kitchen with half of the prep area on one side and the other half on the opposite side. And right down the middle is the only path that anyone can take from the entry door to the rest of the villa. Too much traffic in my work triangle!

They are all equipped the same, but I find Animal Kingdom Kidani very easy to use. Grand Floridian is well laid out. Old Key West is nice and big—I actually made a three tiered wedding cake in an Old Key West Kitchen a few years ago, using the equipment provided in the villa.

BWV, SSR, BCV and BRV all have tiny, tight kitchens. I find the space limiting and frustrating. I can make them work though.
Wow, a wedding cake! That’s cool.

The 'square' kitchens at BW and BC are too tight for me - even cooking alone.
The kitchens at AK are a nice size. Made a couple of breakfasts there with college-aged family popping in to 'help' every now and then and never felt too crowded.

I liked the kitchen at AK. We don't cook on vacation, but it had an island that was easy to get around and was a nice place to throw our park gear on our way in at night. CCV does have the galley like previous posters said, but I didn't mind as everything was new and shiny and we had no trouble walking past each other between bedrooms.

I'll echo the "2nd generation DVC" kitchen comments (SSR, BRV, BWV, BCV): they will work in a pinch, but won't be ideal. I've been in all four of these, and they are all basically the same.

The others I've stayed in are OKW and BLT. Both are better. I recall OKW being a bit more spacious, but BLT having more food storage space (of which there is surprisingly little in the typical timeshare kitchen.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter