Let's hear it for blue card owners!

When my parents bought back in 1993 it was something like $51 a point for a 235-point contract and we got 10 years of free park tickets. Now THAT was a perk! Golden age, indeed. Then again, park tickets were a fraction of the price they are now, even adjusting for inflation...

I do feel lucky to have inherited their "blue-card" contract (my dad transferred the deed to my sister and me after our mom died) but there is no way I would ever be able to afford one now. Not even close. Nor could I afford to go to Disney every year without my inherited DVC membership. I won the lottery in that sense and I make good use of my folks' initial investment. Not sure what's going to happen when it expires, because I sure ain't on my way to being rich enough to afford to renew it. Not with all these Disney vacations I take every year! :earboy2:

It is up to 6 on a deed. I just added my 3 adult children so we now have 5 on our SSR and RIV contracts...all eligible for blue card benefits

Interesting. That must have changed because I could swear I was told max 3 "additional purchasers" when I asked.

That said, you are brave sharing the deed 5 ways. The next generation can get mine out of my trust when the time comes :D

That's great that you're happy with your blue card perks. There's no worse feeling than buyer's remorse. And it's wonderful that you are using and enjoying the benefits that come with buying direct.

I love my white card because I saved $15,000 over buying direct from Disney. There was just no way I was going to use that much in perks to make up the difference in cost....and no way Disney was going to give me that much in perks. So no buyer's remorse for me either.

And that's why I love DVC...because each member can purchase it and use it in the way that best suits him or her. And in the end, we all get to enjoy coming home to our happy place for years to come!!

Interesting. That must have changed because I could swear I was told max 3 "additional purchasers" when I asked.

That said, you are brave sharing the deed 5 ways. The next generation can get mine out of my trust when the time comes :D

Lol! I figure it is going to them anyway. Having said that, we jointly own 475 points. My other 350 are still just mine and my husbands,

We bought resale in 2014 so we got a blue card...and the perks were never ever a consideration. Am I happy to have them when I can use them? Sure? Would I buy in again if there were no perks? YUP.

Way too much salt in a thread meant for positive opinions. Good grief people, chill out.

I viewed it more as bragging than being positive. The only people who don't have blue cards aren't avoiding getting them because they think they stink. They don't have them because they can't afford them. There's no need to rub in all the great things that we blue card owners get just because we are either rich enough to buy the direct points in today's world, were lucky enough to buy in when points were cheap, when they counted resale, or got in with only 25 points.

If somebody wanted to know the benefits of the blue card, they could easily contact any DVC guide. They would be more than happy to share them, as those are the only reasons for paying their huge marked up prices. They are also included in the stickies at the top of the thread. Considering this post was made on the purchasing thread, it needs to be pointed out that all these "positive opinions" will come at a great cost to anyone who hopes to purchase into the club today.

Last edited:
I viewed it more as bragging than being positive. The only people who don't have blue cards aren't avoiding getting them because they think they stink. They don't have them because they can't afford them. There's no need to rub in all the great things that we blue card owners get just because we are either rich enough to buy the direct points in today's world, were lucky enough to buy in when points were cheap, when they counted resale, or got in with only 25 points.

If somebody wanted to know the benefits of the blue card, they could easily contact any DVC guide. They would be more than happy to share them, as those are the only reasons for paying their huge marked up prices. They are also included in the stickies at the top of the thread. Considering this post was made on the purchasing thread, it needs to be pointed out that all these "positive opinions" will come at a great cost to anyone who hopes to purchase into the club today.

There is a ton of grief heaped on people who choose to go direct these days because of the cost. My post was meant to highlight that those perks can be very valued and worthwhile and just a lot of fun.

It is expensive now to buy direct, but it wasn't long ago at all that people could have gotten a blue card with only 25 points.

And yes I bought 23 years ago, but as an earlier poster pointed out, they bought in at a great price only 10 years ago or so.

I posted originally on the purchasing board because those were indeed ways the blue card points were valuable, at least to me.

Every third thread on the purchasing board these days it seems is about that very subject: blue vs. White cards.

There's plenty of things to be jealous about. Some people can't afford Disney World or DVC at all.

Good job likely overpaying in comparison to renting out your points.

Good job being locked in to a small list of hotels which again you likely could have gotten more for your points renting them and then getting a hotel direct.

So something that happened to likely 0.01% of members

Something what maybe 5% of members get and is announced somewhat "last minute" as well in comparison to the DVC calendar of 7-11 month booking window.

A resort that is on the location of a moderate, shares transportation with a moderate, and is further away from both Epcot and HS than both BWV and BCV.

Sorry I need to point out all the downsides to your amazing blue card. Its fine though if you like it.
You are taking a very short term view, IMO. When you are a member for decades, you tend to lighten up.

Since we booked the cruise and the hotel room just shortly before we went, no, it was not cheaper to rent out points. We checked.

It isn't impossible to align your dates with MM. We have done it easily the past two years. So have many many others... since these events always run out of tickets.

It isn't hard to make good use of the AP discount. That has been a great perk for us, saving us more than $1,000 last year. And that platinum pass deal the year before was outstanding.

My post was more about being appreciative of the blue card perks. Of course they can go away at any time.

But many of us are enjoying getting the most out of the program we signed up for. We feel it has been a bargain.

Way too much salt in a thread meant for positive opinions. Good grief people, chill out.
I honestly don't think there is "too much salt" in this thread. I myself am a blue card holder..."cool"... But just the way the thread is titled -- "Let's hear it for blue card owners!" and the way the OP's original post starts with "Sorry". What are you "apologizing" for ??? Seriously....Why would you even start your thread out with "Sorry". I like being a blue card member and did not even know about the white card until a couple of months ago. The only "perks" i've been able to use have been 10% off certain places to dine at, 1 night at Typhoon Lagoon for DVC members and an hour and half at the DVC Christmas "thing" they used to have between Canada and England at World Showcase. That's about it. To me a DVC owner is a DVC owner no matter what color card you hold. I mean this almost sounds like something on Facebook or Instagram to post about then here.

But just the way the thread is titled -- "Let's hear it for blue card owners!"

The title got to me too! "Let's hear it for blue cards" would maybe start a conversation about the perks, or "Let's hear FROM blue card owners" would imply they wanted to chat to others, but "Let's hear it FOR blue card owners" implies that everyone should be applauding blue card owners! I am one myself, but that's only because I'm lucky enough to be able to afford it now. I don't want praising for that.

I love that we can feel pleased with our purchases, and we have a place to talk about DVC and its benefits, but to me it doesn't matter about the colour of the card.

You are taking a very short term view, IMO. When you are a member for decades, you tend to lighten up.

Short term view? Its either going to help or not? There is nothing short term about the perks not really being worth or saving me $X,XXX amount of money. For me it was $6k on 80 points at BWV which would have 22 years of benefit. The beauty is "long term" if the benefits shift I can simply buy points direct (could always sell my resale points likely for a "wash".

It isn't hard to make good use of the AP discount. That has been a great perk for us, saving us more than $1,000 last year. And that platinum pass deal the year before was outstanding.

It only works if you go multiple times a year. Many talking about alternating years with getting the pass as well. If this was a guarantee I likely would have bought direct for this benefit. For young families with kids who don't need tickets yet and those who go one time a year it can take a while for it to pay off.

But many of us are enjoying getting the most out of the program we signed up for. We feel it has been a bargain.

I mean it was a bargain. You are being given a perk meant to lure in $200/point purchases when you bought at $65/point or whatever. I also think it was more a happy circumstance. You need to remember you didn't have a choice to make back in your day. If you could have gotten everything except the minimal extra perks for $35-$40/point would you have? No way to know now.

In the end this is out of the purchasing sub so it doesn't really matter just wanted to respond as you thought I was short sighted. The Blue Card is great and I don't think anyone is not saying that. Sure more perks would always be welcome. That being said new members actually have to weigh the costs of the Blue Card.

Guaranteed AP discounts and food discounts would get me to likely pick up a Blue Card in the future. I don't trust them to keep the perks if the economy downturns and they cut costs or if they put future DVC development on hold and thus don't need to sell points as quickly.

The DVC AP price has increased, but so has the non-DVC AP price. I'm not sure what the difference was few years ago, but currently the difference between the Platinum pass and the DVC Gold Pass (which is the difference for most of us who do not live in FL) is about $400. A family of 4 is seeing a savings of about $1600 per year. The difference to get a blue card vs white card is about $6,000 ($60 PP x 100 points). While the perks can change at anytime, as long as things stay relatively the same over the next 4 years, the breakeven point for a family of 4 is less than 4 years on a 30 to 50 year contract.

Informative does go both ways though. There are pros and cons that go with getting a blue card today. I think the important thing to point out as I did above is that the difference is NOT tens of thousands of dollars today. The blue card benefits come at a price of around $6,000ish depending on resort and contract. You only need 100 points to get the blue card.
My savings for the platinum pass I bought last month was $220 per person, the cheaper gold pass wasn’t an option as our next trip falls in part during blocked days, plus we buy two rather than four, as would be the case with many members who travel with non household non member grandchildren or adult children or friends - $6000/$440 = 13.63 years to recover the cited direct buy in premium. Double that to 27 years on a 30 to 50 year contract since we usually do two long trips per pass on an 11 month schedule, thus only buying every other year. To buy the resorts I own and the number of points I own, the direct cost v. resale would be much higher than $6,000, tho’ - so for my vacation habits I don’t think AP savings would ever be enough to ‘pay’ for the differential between direct and resale.

My savings for the platinum pass I bought last month was $220 per person, the cheaper gold pass wasn’t an option as our next trip falls in part during blocked days, plus we buy two rather than four, as would be the case with many members who travel with non household non member grandchildren or adult children or friends - $6000/$440 = 13.63 years to recover the cited direct buy in premium. Double that to 27 years on a 30 to 50 year contract since we usually do two long trips per pass on an 11 month schedule, thus only buying every other year. To buy the resorts I own and the number of points I own, the direct cost v. resale would be much higher than $6,000, tho’ - so for my vacation habits I don’t think AP savings would ever be enough to ‘pay’ for the differential between direct and resale.
I agree. This wasn't meant to be a blanket statement that the perks pay off in 4 years. Family size, vacation habits, resort make a difference in the calculation. However, you hear a lot of blanket statements that the perks have no real monetary value because it takes so long to break even and that they likely won't keep them forever. People who buy for the perks are buying for the "prestige". I may be wrong, but I get the feeling that the demographics of this board tend to be a bit older than the general demographics that visit WDW regularly. Empty nesters who travel as a couple or bring their grandchildren, will have a much longer breakeven than a family of 4 or 5 in a household(which is probably more in line with the average WDW visitor group).

Note: Don't get mad at me. This is not an "Ok Boomer" post. Just discussing math. 2 < 5.

There's plenty of things to be jealous about. Some people can't afford Disney World or DVC at all.

Right. And that's why I kind of keep quiet about my ownership. I'm not ashamed of it, but I know what good fortune I'm in as both my wife and I have good paying jobs and we came across some impressive inheritance. I know that I worked hard to afford some of it, but that good luck helped me get there. Luck that my coworkers did not necessarily get. If anybody asks me about my plans for winter break, or how I can go to Disney so much, I tell them, but I don't walk into the teacher's lounge shouting "Guess what! I'm going to Disney World this summer!"
I have discussed the benefits and drawbacks of both visiting Disney and buying DVC with those who have been interested, and have not had a bah-humbug attitude about it at all. As I said, I like the blue card benefits a good amount, and would be happy to share that with anyone who was considering them. Maybe I was just raised differently, but I just don't see the need to go around showing off all that I can do and that others cannot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter