Let's Rediscover the Magic! - New TR 7/26

One fun thing Disney did on my last trip (April 2019) was give us a certificate for conquering all the mountains - it was slipped under the door of our room the next day. Could be fun for your kiddos!

Welcome back!

Since we'd be paying for LG at meals on this trip, we decided we weren't going to get the dining plan and we weren't even going to schedule ADRs. It was just going to be a Quick Service trip and really, we'd have more than enough food just sharing a few meals.
Our problem, when we don't have ADR's we end up skipping food and becoming one big hangry family.

but I don't have a company card. I just put these expenses on my Disney Visa card and get reimbursed. I had accumulated enough points to pay for a significant portion of the trip.
My husband does the same. We have been paying for special events and stuff with the $$$.

DD bounced back and forth between several options, but finally settled on Cinderella's Royal Table.
She has pricey taste!

uckily enough, we managed to get in on that offer. We qualified for free QS dining with our stay at CBR. But doing some quick math, I could upgrade us to the regular dining plan for about the same cash outlay that we'd have just at Cinderella Royal Table. It was a no brainer.
Now the Disney Wheels are moving. Sounds like you were getting your mojo back about now. And awsome that, that worked out for you guys!

Also, tell me if you've had any experience with the mermaid school? I've done some searching, but information seems to be very scarce on it. We're looking into getting DD in on that one morning at the pool at Caribbean Beach.
We didn't do this on our last trip but we saw the signs when we were just there in Feb. It was early, before the pool opened to everyone else. So, in the summer would probably be even earlier.

Awesome that you were able to make free dining work for you.

I think FPs for the mountains in MK is always a good idea. We like to RD PP because we like the queue lol and Pooh I’ve always found easy to get a 4th FP for!

Slinky might give you trouble to get a FP for on day 2. We’re going in June and weren’t able to get one on day 3 of our trip.

It's funny how even when you're not in the Disney spirit, plans can snowball. You blink and 3 out of pocket ADRs turn into free dining. :rotfl:

I think going for the mountains with your Fastpasses isn't a bad idea, especially since two of your kids are at an age where that's high on their priority list. Plus, PPF has the new queue so even if it is 15-20 minutes at rope drop at least you'll have something to look at.

I think you have great initial plans!

I always get hoppers as well - I know they're not a necessity, but it's nice to spent the day at one park and then have dinner or see a nighttime show at another.

Yay for free dining! I think you picked some great choices that your kids (and you!) will love. I've heard such great things recently about Garden Grill, Crystal Palace is always one of my must-dos, and I think Chef Mickey's is a staple for you. Hopefully you'll have a much better experience there than last time! (Maybe just pay your bill the minute you get there! :laughing: )

I would guess LG is still under the height restriction for many of the rides? You should absolutely get a Rider Swap so your thrill ride kiddos can get an additional ride! (Also, I think you may need to either scan LG's band to burn his FP+, or you could swap around bands with your son for an additional ride, to make sure the FP+ is used. I think all FP+'s have to be used in your party before you can get a 4th FP+ according to what I've read on other TRs. It may also be possible that you may also be able to let LG's FP+ expire? Perhaps someone else with more knowledge than me can give better information for you. I just don't want you to use the FP+ for the four of you and then get blocked from an additional FP+ because LG still has an active FP!)

It sounds great so far! :thumbsup2

I remember reading some of your prior TRs, in fact was so excited to see a new post over on the Chicken Nugget TR :) Welcome back to the DIS! I hope you are able to find the magic again this time around with just your little family to plan and navigate with!!

Your plans sound great - can't beat free dining! I hate how many things have to be decided on before you even get there but it's become necessary. 3 days at Hilton Head after Disney sounds great! It would be nice to have some beach time before heading back to the real world.

I think your plans sound really solid! Good choices for your family. I'm guessing that you chose a lot of buffets so that the chicken nugget crowd would be satisfied, but Mom and Dad could have lots of other options and not just be limited to the places that serve chicken nuggets?

At least you understand the system to know enough when Free Dining will work to your advantage. I'm not sure that it would ever work for us.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest!

Hey, Andy!

Just a note before I dive in.

I don't. Well... I don't dive in as much on PTRs as TRs. But I will be reading along and commenting on whatever catches my eye.

And with that...

But I was the master planner for a large group and I felt like I was herding cats and constantly had my nose in my phone changing FPs for people.

And I got kind of burned out.

Yeah, that's pretty understandable. You were writing about that. I'm not overly surprised that you lost a bit of that shine by the end.

And now it is almost a case where you "plan because Disney makes you schedule everything and you're screwed if you don't."

Unfortunately true.
But... I wonder how much of that is our own doing? We know that if you don't do all the "before" stuff, we won't be able to do all the "now" stuff... but the average, first time, non-planning tourist probably doesn't need or want to do everything.

33800203098_715b344961_b.jpg

Wow!
1. Nice family shot!
2. They're getting big! (The kids, I mean, of course)
3. DW is getting more beautiful.
4. You? Meh. :lmao:

getting back to the Dis, reconnecting with Disfriends and doing some research for our trip has helped recharge my batteries a bit and I'm eager to dive in!

Great!!

But she has since come around and is now probably just as big of a Disney fan as I am, if not bigger.

Really! That's great!

Her favorite hobby is antagonizing her brothers and seeing just how much she can get away with.

:laughing:

He's doing well right now,

That's all I needed to here. :)

And if he doesn't get what he wants, when he wants it, the way he wants it... meltdown. He's a challenge and I do worry about how it will be in the parks with him.

And then again... he may surprise you. :)

But when he does that in public... well, I just don't want to be that family, you know?

:hug:
It's okay. That perfect, well behaved family you think you see over there? Yeah, they're not, either. They're just not having their meltdown/angry outburst phase at the moment.

I know you were probably stressed (even though you're smiling), but I think in a few years you may come to love that photo. Maybe you already do.

And here's the best Easter picture we were able to get. Obviously someone didn't want their picture taken.

I like that shot. Even if LG wasn't too happy about it.

So that was the plan... 3 ADR's spread out over the week. Otherwise, we aren't over planning this trip!

At least that was the case until January 2 or 3... whenever Disney dumped free dining on the world.

Luckily enough, we managed to get in on that offer. We qualified for free QS dining with our stay at CBR. But doing some quick math, I could upgrade us to the regular dining plan for about the same cash outlay that we'd have just at Cinderella Royal Table. It was a no brainer.

Good! While I don't do free dining when I'm running solo... it's a huge money saver when there's a family.

Hehe... PP and Pooh.

Maturity is overrated.

:lmao:

Also, tell me if you've had any experience with the mermaid school? I've done some searching, but information seems to be very scarce on it. We're looking into getting DD in on that one morning at the pool at Caribbean Beach.

Sorry, first I've heard of it. But knowing Disney... I'm sure she'll love it.

Anyway, I guess I'm hoping for RD to work in our favor to get a lot of the Fantasyland attractions knocked out so that we can have FP for the Mountains as we make our way around the park. Tell me I'm right or tell me I'm wrong... that's why I'm here!

You're right. Rope drop will get you on attractions that otherwise you're just not going to get on without major waits.

I've been known to book trips that I knew there was a 90% chance they wouldn't happen just on that slight chance that it might.

I've done this before too. Still broke my heart when I had to cancel.

Since LG is a little too young to give his input and it has been a staple that our kids enjoy, his default choice was Chef Mickey.

DD bounced back and forth between several options, but finally settled on Cinderella's Royal Table.

DS also bounced back and forth between a few options before picking Garden Grill.

Good choices!

Luckily enough, we managed to get in on that offer. We qualified for free QS dining with our stay at CBR. But doing some quick math, I could upgrade us to the regular dining plan for about the same cash outlay that we'd have just at Cinderella Royal Table. It was a no brainer.

Totally agree. Free dining helps with the overall cost. You gotta eat.

Sunday: Magic Kingdom, ADR-Lunch at Chef Mickey
Monday: Hollywood Studios, ADR-Breakfast at Hollywood & Vine - Fantasmic Package
Tuesday: EPCOT, ADR-Lunch at Garden Grill
Wednesday: Animal Kingdom, No ADR
Thursday: Magic Kingdom, ADR-Lunch at Cinderella Royal Table
Friday: Either EPCOT or DHS, maybe a sleep in day, no ADR
Saturday: Possibly EPCOT or DHS in the morning, then MK, ADR-Lunch at Crystal Palace

Nice food choices. We did lost of buffets and family meals with JP last trip. When you have a little one it helps to to have to wait to eat and having lots of choices of food. Characters are good too.

I don't know. I might completely scrap that plan. We're pretty heavy on the mountains, which is what the older kids want to do, but I know we'll do a lot in Fantasyland too. I guess I'm banking on our ability to do RD for things like PP and Pooh.

Keep the mountains. They are gold. Fantasyland can be done at rope drop and later. I don't know if you're planning on Happily Ever After but we hit PP while it was going off and there was no line. We also had the added enjoyment of lots of loud booms.

Hehe... PP and Pooh.

:rotfl2:

Anyway, I guess I'm hoping for RD to work in our favor to get a lot of the Fantasyland attractions knocked out so that we can have FP for the Mountains as we make our way around the park. Tell me I'm right or tell me I'm wrong... that's why I'm here!

All good planning.

Your plans sound good! It's great that you were able to get free dining and upgrade it for a cost that made sense!

I think it's smart to do FPs for the mountains. You should be able to do PP and Pooh :-)rotfl:) and rope drop!
Free dining really made a difference in our plans in general. It worked out well for us and I didn't expect it at all.

Thanks for the re-assurance!

Yep, that's probably the best plan. If I'm remembering correctly, Aliens and TSM usually have similar length lines. Slinky Dog line gets very long very quickly, so if you can't get a FP+, plan to be there early for rope drop.
Thanks! That backs up some of what I've found doing some research on Touringplans. I love their tools, but I really value first hand information even more.

Plans look good! Fantasyland stuff can usually be done with decent lines at rope drop ... and something like Pooh you can always get a 4th FP+ for later in the day if you miss it at rope drop.
:thumbsup2

One fun thing Disney did on my last trip (April 2019) was give us a certificate for conquering all the mountains - it was slipped under the door of our room the next day. Could be fun for your kiddos!

Welcome back!
Interesting... is this something Disney just did or that you requested or you did for the kids on behalf of Disney? I'd like to know more about this!

Our problem, when we don't have ADR's we end up skipping food and becoming one big hangry family.
That's never a problem for us. I like to eat too much and there are too many options around. Even if it is just snacks or QS, I won't go hungry at Disney World. :rotfl2:

My husband does the same. We have been paying for special events and stuff with the $$$.
It's a nice bonus... there are times when I wish I just had a company card so I didn't have to go through the steps of paying it and getting reimbursed and looking at a big credit card bill each month, but the end result makes it nice.

She has pricey taste!
::yes::

Now the Disney Wheels are moving. Sounds like you were getting your mojo back about now. And awsome that, that worked out for you guys!
Well, when it comes to figuring out what makes the most financial sense, that's never something I lose my mojo about!

We didn't do this on our last trip but we saw the signs when we were just there in Feb. It was early, before the pool opened to everyone else. So, in the summer would probably be even earlier.
Actually... 8am. Seems the pool still just opens at 9.

Awesome that you were able to make free dining work for you.

I think FPs for the mountains in MK is always a good idea. We like to RD PP because we like the queue lol and Pooh I’ve always found easy to get a 4th FP for!

Slinky might give you trouble to get a FP for on day 2. We’re going in June and weren’t able to get one on day 3 of our trip.
I hadn't even considered that. Valid point though. We might look at re-arranging days anyway so it might not be a bad idea to try to move DHS back in the rotation... :scratchin

It's funny how even when you're not in the Disney spirit, plans can snowball. You blink and 3 out of pocket ADRs turn into free dining.
True... I mean when it makes sense, it makes sense.

I think going for the mountains with your Fastpasses isn't a bad idea, especially since two of your kids are at an age where that's high on their priority list. Plus, PPF has the new queue so even if it is 15-20 minutes at rope drop at least you'll have something to look at.

I think you have great initial plans!
Thanks!

I always get hoppers as well - I know they're not a necessity, but it's nice to spent the day at one park and then have dinner or see a nighttime show at another.
This... We typically have a day or 2 where we just don't want to do much and it always ends up being a hopper day. Spend some time in World Showcase and get some thing to eat and go to another park. And especially, going during the summer, you can plan to see the night time show at a certain park on a certain night... but rain happens. It's great to have this flexibility, especially when you're already locked into ADRs and FPs that could limit what you can see if you can only do 1 park per day.

Yay for free dining! I think you picked some great choices that your kids (and you!) will love. I've heard such great things recently about Garden Grill, Crystal Palace is always one of my must-dos, and I think Chef Mickey's is a staple for you. Hopefully you'll have a much better experience there than last time! (Maybe just pay your bill the minute you get there! :laughing: )
We went to GG probably 5 years ago and I really, really liked it. The food was great and so were the characters. Farmer Mickey was part of the reason we're going back. CP has been one we liked in the past, so I'm looking forward to getting back there. CM certainly is a staple...service can be good or bad anywhere on a given night... it is what it is, but giving LG a chance to see Mickey up close and personal... well, let's hope for magic and not a panic attack. :rotfl2:

I would guess LG is still under the height restriction for many of the rides? You should absolutely get a Rider Swap so your thrill ride kiddos can get an additional ride! (Also, I think you may need to either scan LG's band to burn his FP+, or you could swap around bands with your son for an additional ride, to make sure the FP+ is used. I think all FP+'s have to be used in your party before you can get a 4th FP+ according to what I've read on other TRs. It may also be possible that you may also be able to let LG's FP+ expire? Perhaps someone else with more knowledge than me can give better information for you. I just don't want you to use the FP+ for the four of you and then get blocked from an additional FP+ because LG still has an active FP!)
Yeah... he's tiny. He has a 1 year old cousin bigger than him. :rotfl:We'll definitely use the Rider Swap. It works great getting an extra ride for the kids. I know in the past we've used RS when not everyone got their FP scanned off their band ant it still worked later for the 4th FP, but I'm pretty sure it was past the window of the unused FP. If nothing else, I can change his FP and then schedule the rest of us a 4th, I think... Maybe I should research the current FP system a little more. :scratchin

I remember reading some of your prior TRs, in fact was so excited to see a new post over on the Chicken Nugget TR :) Welcome back to the DIS! I hope you are able to find the magic again this time around with just your little family to plan and navigate with!!
Thank you! I'm getting back into the spirit and being around these boards has helped a lot! It will be a nice change having just the 5 of us this time around.

Your plans sound great - can't beat free dining! I hate how many things have to be decided on before you even get there but it's become necessary. 3 days at Hilton Head after Disney sounds great! It would be nice to have some beach time before heading back to the real world.
I love planning trips, but it just feels too much like it is forced on us now and it really does limit your flexibility if you want to change things around. I mean, I'm over 2 months out and just had something come up in pre-planning that has me re-evaluating our days and I already have to see if I can shuffle ADRs around just to make it work... :faint:

Sounds like some great plans so far! That's great about the Free Dining offer working for you.
Thank you! I definitely didn't expect free dining, but it really ended up being a good fit for us.

I think your plans sound really solid! Good choices for your family. I'm guessing that you chose a lot of buffets so that the chicken nugget crowd would be satisfied, but Mom and Dad could have lots of other options and not just be limited to the places that serve chicken nuggets?
Well, the kids picked 3, but basically right now it's all about getting a chance to get a meal and knock out some characters in the process. Definitely a nice time saver. We'll still visit plenty of characters, but it can be a situation where we don't have to make FP for character meets a priority or set aside a lot of time for it. The fact there are plenty of options to eat is a bonus.

At least you understand the system to know enough when Free Dining will work to your advantage. I'm not sure that it would ever work for us.
Definitely understand that. It makes a lot more sense when going with a family, but there's no way we'd have done many meals without it if we had to pay for LG.

Hey, Andy!

Just a note before I dive in.

I don't. Well... I don't dive in as much on PTRs as TRs. But I will be reading along and commenting on whatever catches my eye.

And with that...
That's perfectly fine. Don't feel like you have to, just trying to collect my thoughts and see what I'm missing. It's already paying dividends.

Unfortunately true.
But... I wonder how much of that is our own doing? We know that if you don't do all the "before" stuff, we won't be able to do all the "now" stuff... but the average, first time, non-planning tourist probably doesn't need or want to do everything.
Very true... it's a never ending cycle.

Wow!
1. Nice family shot!
2. They're getting big! (The kids, I mean, of course)
3. DW is getting more beautiful.
4. You? Meh. :lmao:
Sounds about right.

That's all I needed to here. :)

And then again... he may surprise you. :)
I really hope you're right.

:hug:
It's okay. That perfect, well behaved family you think you see over there? Yeah, they're not, either. They're just not having their meltdown/angry outburst phase at the moment.
Oh, no doubt. I get that. But it can also be annoying when there's a kid going off in the room and he has a hair trigger and I just don't want to be the reason for somebody's TR update about this kid that wouldn't stop screaming. :rotfl2:

I know you were probably stressed (even though you're smiling), but I think in a few years you may come to love that photo. Maybe you already do.
Pretty much sums it up.

ood! While I don't do free dining when I'm running solo... it's a huge money saver when there's a family.
Definitely. I can't think of a situation where it would make more sense than a room only discount (if available) for a solo traveler.

Sorry, first I've heard of it. But knowing Disney... I'm sure she'll love it.
I'm sure she will.

You're right. Rope drop will get you on attractions that otherwise you're just not going to get on without major waits.

I've done this before too. Still broke my heart when I had to cancel.
Very true!

Totally agree. Free dining helps with the overall cost. You gotta eat.
It was a good fit for us!

Nice food choices. We did lost of buffets and family meals with JP last trip. When you have a little one it helps to to have to wait to eat and having lots of choices of food. Characters are good too.
That's our hope! I know he won't eat, as there will be a lot going on and a lot to see, but I hope that will help keep him occupied while we have a meal... I just hope that he enjoys seeing larger than life characters and doesn't freak out on us.

Keep the mountains. They are gold. Fantasyland can be done at rope drop and later. I don't know if you're planning on Happily Ever After but we hit PP while it was going off and there was no line. We also had the added enjoyment of lots of loud booms.
:thumbsup2 We'll probably try to catch HEA... I think it will hinge a bit on how the kids do and whether we think they'll all handle staying up late enough for some of the night time events.

All good planning.

Interesting... is this something Disney just did or that you requested or you did for the kids on behalf of Disney? I'd like to know more about this!

It’s something that was a total surprise - and on an adults-only trip! I had Fastpasses for the three mountains on a Wednesday, and on a Thursday morning, it was slid under our door. Such a cool something Disney has stared doing. D987BE7D-4FAB-445B-93E3-D0B4252044B0.jpeg

It’s something that was a total surprise - and on an adults-only trip! I had Fastpasses for the three mountains on a Wednesday, and on a Thursday morning, it was slid under our door. Such a cool something Disney has stared doing.
Wow! That's really cool! I've never heard of anything quite like that. I assume that's not a guarantee, but still would be neat if something like that happened.

And easy-going, not overplanned trip, sounds like it would help bring back the magic. I have never done it that way and for our trip in July that is the non-plan plan as well. Hopefully it makes things more laid back for you.

At least that was the case until January 2 or 3... whenever Disney dumped free dining on the world.
Oh man, what a way to describe that day, toughest TA day for me for sure. I am so glad it worked out for you guys though.

Hehe... PP and Pooh.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Maturity is overrated.

I'll definitely chime in that with those ages, I found buffets a lifesaver. Very little waiting, and no second-guessing your order and only getting the safe thing, because what if they hate it? Plenty of options to try new things and see if they like them. I remember when we didn't do buffets and I would sometimes make sure to order something that one or both kids might like, just in case they hated what they actually ordered.

And easy-going, not overplanned trip, sounds like it would help bring back the magic. I have never done it that way and for our trip in July that is the non-plan plan as well. Hopefully it makes things more laid back for you.
That's the plan anyway... we'll see how it goes. There's a minimum amount of planning that has to be done, and sometimes once you start...

Oh man, what a way to describe that day, toughest TA day for me for sure. I am so glad it worked out for you guys though.
::yes:: We definitely wouldn't have done as many meals as we are had it not come out.

I'll definitely chime in that with those ages, I found buffets a lifesaver. Very little waiting, and no second-guessing your order and only getting the safe thing, because what if they hate it? Plenty of options to try new things and see if they like them. I remember when we didn't do buffets and I would sometimes make sure to order something that one or both kids might like, just in case they hated what they actually ordered.
That's the truth. You've got the double advantage of food variety (although LG is only going to want fries and mac & cheese... and it better be Kraft) and characters. Hopefully those factors will put the odds in our favor so that DW and I will at least get some time to relax a little bit and enjoy our meals! :rotfl2:

Mermaid School

Well, I did some research and we now have a reservation. DD's birthday was last weekend, and my mom had been trying to think of something to get her that would be a little bit out of the ordinary. She mentioned paying for something special for her on our trip, and then we talked about Mermaid School. DD's favorite princess is Ariel, and she loves to swim, so it seemed like a great idea. I guess we'll find out how well she likes it when she gets there, as she tends to be excited about something and then gets shy and clams up in the moment, but she seems thrilled about it, right now!

We found out that it is offered on Wed and Fri mornings at CBR. We tried to get Friday because it was going to be a completely flexible day... we had no ADRs or set plans as of yet. Unfortunately, Friday was already sold out and we could only get Wednesday.

If you're wondering about it, the cost is $50 +tax. They do it 1 hour before the pool opens, so even in the summer, she is scheduled to check in at 7:45 for an 8:00 mermaid school session.

So, as I mentioned, we tried to do Friday, but we also didn't have any ADRs set for Wednesday. It was going to be our AK day and I wasn't crazy about missing Ropedrop when we'd likely only go to AK once.

So... that original framework I had laid out for our week?

Blow it up!

I'm back in trip planning mode, baby!

I was able to find ADRs that I needed on alternative days and have snagged a few. I also may not have canceled the old ones yet, just in case we can't get a FP when we want it so we will have a fallback option.

FP day comes next week, so I'll be sure to update with the changes we made and the FPs we were able to get!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter