Let's talk about how the opening of Galaxy's Edge will affect crowds at OTHER parks.

Will SWGE make the other 3 parks more crowded?

• Yes, it will turn September into Spring Break or worse

Votes: 99 66.9%
  • No, DHS will be packed but others will see little or no increase

Votes: 49 33.1%

• Total voters
I was able to book every restaurant I wanted relatively easily for my 9/7-9/14 trip. The only thing I didn't get at the time I wanted was CRT. I got lunch instead of dinner, but I wanted to have the family go on our first day, so I'm not torn up about it. I think a lot of Star Wars people probably aren't going to be planning trips 6 months out for this, and probably won't spend the extra money on dining reservations and staying on property. Conventioneers usually try to go the cheapest route with a bunch of friends, so I imagine we might see a bigger increase in people staying at I-drive hotels or maybe Disney Springs. Also, if you're planning a trip JUST for Star Wars, you'll probably eat some QS food in between waiting in line, or bring snacks with you. That's just my theory, and it's probably wrong, but I'm also still praying my trip won't be overrun :P.

We were able to book 99% of our ADRs no issue for 9/17 - 9/24 trip...did have to settle for 9:15PM at CA Grill instead of the 8PM time I wanted but not the end of the world! Fingers crossed it's even remotely this easy come time book Fast Passes!!!! o_O

If I
Many of us are currently curled up in a ball crying at the moment since we feel like our early fall vacations dreams were just crushed(force crushed). Let's take this time to rationalize what the crowds will really be like at any park that ISN'T HS after 8-29! I can say personally I will be far far away from HS unless with do a TSL EMM during our stay. Or a paid GE event :p

How many people will travel to WDE just to visit GE without visiting the other parks?

Will the early months be mostly locals and those who are already booked (i.e. it can't getting any more crowded than it already would be)?

If a HS visitor doesn't have a park hopper and GE reaches capacity, will they just hang out, or will they update to PH and flood the other parks? Or my greatest fear, Disney gives them PH or allows them to use their day pass at another park since they couldn't enter GE.

I know pure speculation at this point. But I'm posting this just as a form of therapy at the moment.
If I go to Disney I will always go to other parks. I can never resist not going to Magic Kingdom. Star Wars is good but my life does not revolve aroound Star Wars.

my answer? this is all uncharted territory. It's a huge IP that everyone recognizes, spans multiple generations. On the other hand, it's also opening at Disneyland first, so we'll get an idea of the crowds that go to that opening. It's also not opening entirely on either coast.

What if ROTR opens in Disneyland before WDW's entire land opens? what then?

It's all a crap shoot, we could start placing bets on odds of the other parks crowds, I think they will all get a bit more crowded, 10-20% in the first few weeks???

Been reading these boards for years now but never joined in, happy to start posting :)

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. Booked our trip in summer last year for 29/08 - 12/09 hoping to avoid the star wars crowds and have a nice and relatively quiet two weeks in the parks but now having a bit of a nightmare.

Neither me or the fiancé are star wars fans and I've actually never seen a star wars film (don't hurt me), so we aren't bothered about SW:GE being busy but we haven't been since toy story opened so we would've loved to have gone to HS to see that. We are actually staying at Aventura over in Universal so going to completely avoid WDW for the weekend of star wars opening. Just hoping the crowds won't be horrendous in the other parks.

We also booked a trip 10 years ago and then it was announced that hogsmeade would be opening during our vacation. I guess you can say we are unlucky... or lucky depending on your view. Maybe I can predict the future?

Been reading these boards for years now but never joined in, happy to start posting :)

I'm in the same boat as everyone else here. Booked our trip in summer last year for 29/08 - 12/09 hoping to avoid the star wars crowds and have a nice and relatively quiet two weeks in the parks but now having a bit of a nightmare.

Neither me or the fiancé are star wars fans and I've actually never seen a star wars film (don't hurt me), so we aren't bothered about SW:GE being busy but we haven't been since toy story opened so we would've loved to have gone to HS to see that. We are actually staying at Aventura over in Universal so going to completely avoid WDW for the weekend of star wars opening. Just hoping the crowds won't be horrendous in the other parks.

We also booked a trip 10 years ago and then it was announced that hogsmeade would be opening during our vacation. I guess you can say we are unlucky... or lucky depending on your view. Maybe I can predict the future?

You need to watch Star Wars A New Hope. It is the best movie in the world.

We will be at WDW from Oct. 15-25, and my tentative plan is to use GE as a decoy; let it draw crazy crowds at rope drop, while we do the rest of the park, including TSL. Then, (assuming still no FPs available for the Star Wars ride or rides) some night we will get into the single rider line for Smuggler`s Run, around closing time.

We used the same basic, contrarian strategy by avoiding FOP, 7DMT and Frozen in the morning.

I know, right? There are many arguments on both sides but in the end, what is going to happen? Mad house or not? And I don't think touring plans is going to necessarily be dependable this time around. They are basing their calculations on past openings of Pandora and TSL, which does not and cannot acount for the Star Wars fan base.

It seems that most of the Disney pundits think that there will be no mad house. But if they are right, doesn't that mean Disney made a huge mistake building 2 identical, super expensive SWGE when one will suffice? Shouldn't they have spent the money building 2 different ones, so that fans will need to visit both?

In any case, my hope is that they did make this mistake, and we get to enjoy the WDW SWGE in relative quietness. How nice would that be? :rolleyes1

Building two SWGE was a great move. If they only built one, it would be a sardine can all day, every day.

Well, looks like there are a lot of planned trips before mine in Dec., so hoping all of you will be back to report on your awesome experiences!

Hi I have been looking at the EMM for MK for Dec. While the dates are listed in blue on when trying to make an ADR, it appears that they are not available to book These hours are also not appearing on Sept WDW Calendar listed on the website. Hopefully, thinking maybe they will be extending park hours to handle overflow? ( personally looking at Sept 3-12). Wasnt really planning on doing EMM at MK but interested to see how it pans out.

Hi I have been looking at the EMM for MK for Dec. While the dates are listed in blue on when trying to make an ADR, it appears that they are not available to book These hours are also not appearing on Sept WDW Calendar listed on the website. Hopefully, thinking maybe they will be extending park hours to handle overflow? ( personally looking at Sept 3-12). Wasnt really planning on doing EMM at MK but interested to see how it pans out.
Disney is weird about these events and when they are available to book. Sometimes it’s only a couple months before the date that you can book them.

Disney is weird about these events and when they are available to book. Sometimes it’s only a couple months before the date that you can book them.
August is currently available to book and the Sept dates arent even showing on calendar so it keeps my mind guessing ( maybe hopefully) ..

During the time of SWW it always appeared that the other parks' attendance was negatively affected.

Man do I miss SWW. It was like one big party weekend with all my best friends.

During the time of SWW it always appeared that the other parks' attendance was negatively affected.

My boys LOVED the dance party (Hyperspace Hoopla?) So much fun dancing with all the characters - they would just get right into the crowd. They also had the best interaction with Jake Lloyd. Since they both wanted to go at the same time, the CM let them both in and young Mr. Lloyd was so patient and kind, answering their questions, joking, signing their pics. They adored him, and he really made a great impression. And that was included!

My boys LOVED the dance party (Hyperspace Hoopla?) So much fun dancing with all the characters - they would just get right into the crowd. They also had the best interaction with Jake Lloyd. Since they both wanted to go at the same time, the CM let them both in and young Mr. Lloyd was so patient and kind, answering their questions, joking, signing their pics. They adored him, and he really made a great impression. And that was included!
SWW will always be missed and there's nothing that will ever come close to it, in terms of fun.

I missed getting a FP and lines were too long on Slinky Dog ride last year when we went in December. I was hopeful of getting a FP this year when we go Sept 30-Oct 5. I have no interest in Star Wars although may walk around to see what all the fuss is about! Do people think that the Star Wars land will draw people away from Toy Story Land and those rides or that crowds will just grow in the entire park and my hopes to ride Slinky Dog are again dashed??!

I missed getting a FP and lines were too long on Slinky Dog ride last year when we went in December. I was hopeful of getting a FP this year when we go Sept 30-Oct 5. I have no interest in Star Wars although may walk around to see what all the fuss is about! Do people think that the Star Wars land will draw people away from Toy Story Land and those rides or that crowds will just grow in the entire park and my hopes to ride Slinky Dog are again dashed??!
All the people coming to DHS for SWGE won't fit in SWGE, so those people will need other places in the park to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter