Let's use this thread to keep track of IGT, OGT and VGT assignments?

Generally, GT assignments come out less than 2 weeks before a cruise. Some are not assigned until the day of sailing.

Ah! The cruise is three weeks out... I see that as fast (too much to do before the cruise makes it seem around the corner for us).

Hello! We just booked our first Disney Cruise Ever as a GTY. We are going on the Disney Magic from December 6-10. We booked an OGT on November 7, so about 29 days out. We received our stateroom number 2036 the next day, or 28 days out. We booked a GTY 9D cabin, and received category 9C. I really don't have an opinion about the room as we have never been on a cruise before. I will report back after the cruise as to our impression of the room as well as thoughts of a first time cruiser as well!

Hello! We just booked our first Disney Cruise Ever as a GTY. We are going on the Disney Magic from December 6-10. We booked an OGT on November 7, so about 29 days out. We received our stateroom number 2036 the next day, or 28 days out. We booked a GTY 9D cabin, and received category 9C. I really don't have an opinion about the room as we have never been on a cruise before. I will report back after the cruise as to our impression of the room as well as thoughts of a first time cruiser as well!

It sounds like you booked a GTY cabin with an actual category. If you say you booked a 9d that's actually not at OGT. It's very confusing but in your category you would get a 9D or better in the OGT you have no guarantee of anything but being on the ship in an ocean view room of some sort. No changes no cancellations or nothing an apparently we have to wait until almost sailing and in some cases until the port to get our assigned cabins.

By the way you will love Deck 2! You got a great cabin assignment. Right between the elevators and practically midship so it will be good for seasickness if youre first time cruisers!! You get on the Magic after we return from SanJuan. Now I hope we can get a decent room assignment. I'm hoping no one wants to fly into SanJuan these days and they won't sell anymore cabins.

Have an awesome trip!!

It sounds like you booked a GTY cabin with an actual category. If you say you booked a 9d that's actually not at OGT. It's very confusing but in your category you would get a 9D or better in the OGT you have no guarantee of anything but being on the ship in an ocean view room of some sort. No changes no cancellations or nothing an apparently we have to wait until almost sailing and in some cases until the port to get our assigned cabins.

By the way you will love Deck 2! You got a great cabin assignment. Right between the elevators and practically midship so it will be good for seasickness if youre first time cruisers!! You get on the Magic after we return from SanJuan. Now I hope we can get a decent room assignment. I'm hoping no one wants to fly into SanJuan these days and they won't sell anymore cabins.

Have an awesome trip!!
Thank you for explaining! It is all a little confusing, but we are very excited. This has been something that I have wanted to do for a long time. I hope you have a wonderful trip as well!

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT? On Which ship? VGT / Fantasy
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 11 days
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 4E (5662)
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Seems pretty good?
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? na
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 37 days

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT? On Which ship? IGT / Wonder
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 14 days
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 11B (5635)
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? We're happy it's not on decks 1 or 2, and above us are only staterooms. Still aft, so we'll see about Wonder's vibrations. Never been in an inside stateroom on DCL, so no opinion of standard vs. deluxe inside.
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? na
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 45 days

We're cruising 12/01 too (on the Wonder) with an IGT. Who told you not to expect the assigned cabin for some time?
Generally, *GT bookings get their room assignments around 2 weeks out from the cruise, on a Tuesday. That said, ANY guarantee booking (*GT or GTY) can be assigned at any time from booking date all the way up to, and including, embarkation day.

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT? On Which ship? We booked a total of 5 VGT rooms on the Magic for the Dec 1 Repositioning Cruise from San Juan to Miami (We have a total of 17 family members going on this cruise!)
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 9 days
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) All 5 rooms were linked together, and we were assigned Category 5A rooms mid-ship on Deck 7. Two rooms are connected and then there is a room in between the next two rooms on both sides. The fifth room is on the opposite side, but it is still fairly close.
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room? We are thrilled to have all 5 rooms close together and all have split bathrooms and midship location. It's always a gamble to book VGT, so we are thrilled with our stateroom assignments!
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? Yes, all 5As on Deck 7 midship
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? About 110 days

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT? On Which ship? Booked 2 OGT Magic
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 9 days (on a Tuesay)
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) 9A for both
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room? Pleased with forward and deck 5
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? Yes, next door
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? About 4.5 months

1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT? On Which ship? Booked 2 OGT and 2 VGT on Dec 1 Magic
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 9 days (on a Tuesay)
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) 9B, Deck 2 for OGT and 7A , deck 5 AFT for VGT
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room? The OGTs got great rooms Mid Ship, The VGTs got Navigator Verandahs so that stinks and yes not happy. I'm a Disney Travel agent so I was hoping to get at least a 05 cabin, but going with VGT was a gamble. I'm hoping I can get over not being able to see out of my verandah and wishing I had gambled on the Ocean View instead as my other family got great rooms and paid great prices.
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? Yes. That is one good thing. Both the 2 OGTs and 2VGTs cabins are connecting so while we aren't close to the other members of our party we really can't complain about that.
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 106 days

1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT? On Which ship? VGT on the 11/24/2017 Fantasy
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 10 days (late Tuesday morning)
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) Category 4A aft on deck 10.
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room? Super happy to get a family room and aft is our preferred location. Deck 10 is a little concerning but reviews for our room (and the ones close by) say that noise from above wasn't a problem. Looks like we are below the area where the pool deck meets cabanas.
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together? N/A
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? ~41 which I believe was the first day *GTs were offered for this cruise.

We are 3 for 3 in being very happy with our VGT assignments over the last few years. With each one we've purchased the cruise the first day the VGT rates were offered. We've been aft on decks 9, 8 and now 10. Twice in a category 4A, once in a 5B.

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT? On Which ship? Booked VGT for 12/11/17 Dream cruise
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 13 days
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) 4D room 6116
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room? Happy, the reviews for this room look good, seems like a good location!
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? Booked 11/05/17 so about a month and a bit before

Last edited:
#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship?VGT ON Dream
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room?13 Days
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get?4E
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location?Forward, not too forward, we are very happy. This cost less than inside when we booked!
#5. If you booked more than one room, are they close together?
#6. How many days before departure date did you book?47 days before

Last edited:
#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT? On Which ship? Booked OGT for 12/10/17 Magic
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 12 days (assigned Wed morning)
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) 9A room 5008
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room? I think I’m happy. Since I got a 9A instead of 9B,9C,or9D. So yes, I’m happy.
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? Booked 11/03/17. 37 days before 12/10 departure

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT on the Dream. This VGT rate cost less than the cheapest inside cabin cost when bookings opened to the public a year ago.
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 18 days. I can give my FE group our cabin # now. Woo hoo!
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? Category 5B aft, 8154
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Happy. It will have a full verandah with plexiglass railing and no obstruction, and it's a fairly high deck. I also like being aft as we're bringing my elderly mother on the cruise, so trips to the MDRs, Palo, beverage station & Cabanas won't be too hard for her, and the closest elevator won't be too crowded. She's a smoker & 2 of the DSA's are port-side aft, too. We're a very short walk from the laundry room, and nearby cabin reports have said noise from it was not an issue.

The only cons are that I would have preferred a starboard room for view of fireworks & CC, and I would have preferred a non-connecting cabin. A Cat 4 would have been great, but I knew that was unlikely for a holiday sailing with only 3 passengers in the cabin. You can't expect to have everything when booking GT.

#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 47

Last edited:
#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT on the Dream
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 12 days
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 5A - 10138
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Reviews look good. We changed plans and booked last minute. VGT was cheaper than IGT for 4 night Merrytime cruise.
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 18 days

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT on the Dream.
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 17 days.
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? Category 5B, 8526
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Happy. Glad we have a Starboard Side FWD Room. We prefer to be near the front staircase.
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 29

#1. Did you book a IGT, OGT or VGT room, and on which ship? VGT on the Fantasy
#2. How many days before the cruise were you assigned your room? 10 days (Today is the day after Christmas, so it seems the usual 12/13 days prior assignment time was pushed a bit. Not complaining, just pointing it out. Not even sure the holiday would affect room assignment?)
#3. What category (ex: 7a, 4c, 11c or whatever) and room # did you get? 5A, 10062
#4. Are you happy with your assignment or do you feel like you got a "leftover"- undesirable room/location? Pretty happy! Only thing I really wanted was a plexiglass veranda and it seems that's what I got? My only possible negative point is that it's near the main elevators and below the pool deck, so might get noisy. I guess I'll find out!
#6. How many days before departure date did you book? 36 Days

Today is the day after Christmas, so it seems the usual 12/13 days prior assignment time was pushed a bit. Not complaining, just pointing it out. Not even sure the holiday would affect room assignment?
Typically *GT assignments show up 10-14 days out - on a Tuesday. So, you're right in there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter