#1. What catagory did you pay for? 10B
#2. Which Ship? Magic
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Oct 2016
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11
#6. What time did you check-in? 10:45
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 5B
#8. How much was the upgrade? $898
I know it was a nice savings from the $1900 difference I was seeing a few days before but we passed on it. Now we can say we tried an inside. We'll see how we like it in a few hours.

Update: ended up going back to the desk and were able to upgrade to a 9c for $182

Last edited:
#1. What catagory did you pay for? 10a
(please make sure you put the catagory you paid for and not the catagory you were assigned. For *GT reservations please put whether it was IGT, OGT or VGT).
#2. Which Ship? Dream
#3. Number of Nights? 4
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Oct 24, 2016
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? Any. Platinum
#6. What time did you check-in? 10:20
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 4B
#8. How much was the upgrade? $704

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 11B
(please make sure you put the catagory you paid for and not the catagory you were assigned. For *GT reservations please put whether it was IGT, OGT or VGT).
#2. Which Ship? Magic
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Dec. 11, 2016
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11:00
#6. What time did you check-in? 11:00
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? T
#8. How much was the upgrade? $4400ish

Port upgrade "deals" are not what they used to be!!!!!

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 8D
#2. Which Ship? Fantasy
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Dec 2016
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 10:45 (boarding group 2 when I eventually arrived)
#6. What time did you check-in? 1:00
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 5C?
#8. How much was the upgrade? ~$347

Didn't take it. Wanted to try the big porthole this time.

#1. What category did you pay for? VGT
#2. Which Ship? dream
#3. Number of Nights? 3
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Dec 2016
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 10:30
#6. What time did you check-in? first bus from MCO
#7. What category were you offered for upgrade? V ~$800; T ~$1400
#8. How much was the upgrade? see above; took the V; couldn't justify T especially on deck 11!

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 11B
#2. Which Ship? Magic
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing Dec. 11, 2016
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11:00
#6. What time did you check-in? 11:00
#8. How much was the upgrade? $4400ish

Port upgrade "deals" are not what they used to be!!!!!

Wow. That does seem pricey!!

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 11A
#2. Which Ship? Fantasy
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing? December 2016
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 12pm
#6. What time did you check-in? 11am
#7. What catagory were you offered for upgrade? 4 or 5 (not sure which, as I didn't accept, but it had a full verandah)
#8. How much was the upgrade? $850 for 2 passengers (basically same price as booking it in advance).

No concierge available.

Said no thanks to the upgrade, & loved our inside stateroom. Very glad to have kept it as the money we saved not upgrading paid for all of our onboard expenses/port adventures, & we enjoyed the magical porthole. Ample room for the two of us.

Last edited:
#1. What catagory did you pay for? 6A
#2. Which Ship? Disney Magic
#3. Number of Nights? 8
#4. Month/Year of Sailing 10/7/2016
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? Any
#6. What time did you check-in? 11.30a
#8. How much was the upgrade? $3,300 for two passengers

To follow up on my post on 12/31, I watched the supervisor work with the chart she had for upgrades. She explained everything and showed me the chart. Basically, the closer your original room is to the upgrade, the less it costs for the upgrade. We had booked a 4c(family oceanview on deck 7) and were offered a Cat V(family sized concierge). There are only 2 levels -4b and 4a- between what we booked and the offered upgrade. That's why our upgrade was $1190. Had we originally booked an inside or porthole room, the same upgrade was significantly more. Since the Cat V was priced at nearly $23,000 just prior to our sailing, the extra $1190 WAS a deal!

Awhile back, someone had posted that port upgrades weren't what they used to be, but this poster was looking at an upgrade from an 11b to Cat T( one bedroom concierge) and was told it would be $4400. That makes a bit of sense due to the wide variance between what they booked and what they were offered. I'm sure time of year and other variables were in place, as well.

Awhile back, someone had posted that port upgrades weren't what they used to be...
I agree with prior posters that most port upgrades aren't amazing deals, unless perhaps it's an upgrade from a Cat 4 to some kind of concierge, particularly to the most expensive concierge rooms. But just upgrading from one regular category to a higher regular category at port is not much of a deal these days, both from what I've read on the boards & experienced myself.

We had a Cat 11 booked for 2 people & were offered an upgrade to a verandah for $800+, no less. That was about the same price as getting the higher category would have cost in advance (I had checked during the weeks prior to the cruise), so it was no deal and we declined.

Last edited:
To follow up on my post on 12/31, I watched the supervisor work with the chart she had for upgrades. She explained everything and showed me the chart. Basically, the closer your original room is to the upgrade, the less it costs for the upgrade. We had booked a 4c(family oceanview on deck 7) and were offered a Cat V(family sized concierge). There are only 2 levels -4b and 4a- between what we booked and the offered upgrade. That's why our upgrade was $1190. Had we originally booked an inside or porthole room, the same upgrade was significantly more. Since the Cat V was priced at nearly $23,000 just prior to our sailing, the extra $1190 WAS a deal!

Awhile back, someone had posted that port upgrades weren't what they used to be, but this poster was looking at an upgrade from an 11b to Cat T( one bedroom concierge) and was told it would be $4400. That makes a bit of sense due to the wide variance between what they booked and what they were offered. I'm sure time of year and other variables were in place, as well.

I'm actually comparing apples to apples for myself when I say they aren't what they used to be. In 2012 (only 4 years ago) I upgraded from an 11B to the Royal concierge Suite (yes the Royal!i think it was the Roy O Disney suite) for only $2200. It was a 7 night Mexican riviera on the Disney Wonder. Looking back, that was a steal!

We have also upgraded from 11B to a 5A verandah on 7 night Alaskan cruise on the Wonder for $1250 in mid August 2015.

For the 7 night on the Disney magic this past December we were willing to pay up to $2500 (and maybe would have splashed $3000) for the T but $4400 covers most of our fare for our next cruise on the Disney Fantasy so we passed.

That's double the port upgrade fee to a lower class cabin only 4 years later from our Royal upgrade. Too hard to swallow!

So yeah, they aren't what they used to be.

I'm actually comparing apples to apples for myself when I say they aren't what they used to be. In 2012 (only 4 years ago) I upgraded from an 11B to the Royal concierge Suite (yes the Royal!i think it was the Roy O Disney suite) for only $2200. It was a 7 night Mexican riviera on the Disney Wonder. Looking back, that was a steal!

We have also upgraded from 11B to a 5A verandah on 7 night Alaskan cruise on the Wonder for $1250 in mid August 2015.

For the 7 night on the Disney magic this past December we were willing to pay up to $2500 (and maybe would have splashed $3000) for the T but $4400 covers most of our fare for our next cruise on the Disney Fantasy so we passed.

That's double the port upgrade fee to a lower class cabin only 4 years later from our Royal upgrade. Too hard to swallow!

So yeah, they aren't what they used to be.

delete

Last edited:
#1. What category did you pay for? 4C
#2. Which Ship? Dream
#3. Number of Nights? 4
#4. Month/Year of Sailing? Jan 2017
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 10:30
#6. What time did you check-in? 10:00
#7. What category were you offered for upgrade? V
#8. How much was the upgrade? $680

#1. What catagory did you pay for? 4E
#2. Which Ship? Disney Fantasy
#3. Number of Nights? 7
#4. Month/Year of Sailing 1/21/17
#5. What was your Port of Arrival time assignment? 11:30
#6. What time did you check-in? 10:30
#8. How much was the upgrade? $3,000 for 4 passengers

There were 5 1 bed and 2 verandah concierge available 3 days before, the verandahs and 2 of the 1 bedroom were taken as upgrades before we got there. Debated but took upgrade and very happy we did. It was a significant savings over the $16k list price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter