Library Books

Library deadlines are...

• Absolute - Plan ahead, and return the book even if you haven't finished it.

Votes: 26 34.2%
  • Real, but kindly - An occasional couple of days late in an emergency is excusable.

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • Just suggestions - Keep it as long as you want if you don't mind paying the fine.

Votes: 10 13.2%
  • Depends on the type of book - (Please share your reasoning.)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • It's 2018 - what's a library?

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
First, I have no real stake in this - IRL, I was able to renew the book in question on line, so my problem was solved. It just made me curious about the general thought process around stuff like this.

Assuming you cannot renew a book (or whatever) online, how much does it bother you if you're late returning it?

I don't agree with the "just a suggestion" part, but once I was into a book I finished it, regardless of how the fines were piling up, if it was something I'd waited on a "hold" list for. Nowadays I only use on-line downloads from the library and they return themselves automatically, but also have an automatic renew feature that can be turned on.

First, I have no real stake in this - IRL, I was able to renew the book in question on line, so my problem was solved. It just made me curious about the general thought process around stuff like this.

Assuming you cannot renew a book (or whatever) online, how much does it bother you if you're late returning it?

I always try to return on time, but have occasionally been caught forgetting. At most, just a few days late, but try to be considerate with new books. Our 'new' books are not renewable (waiting list). I love to read, so usually once I start a new book, doesn't take me long to finish it.

I have no excuse renewing older books as I can do it online.

The only time we can’t renew books online (and we get emails and text reminders 3 days out and agin on due day so we have no excuse for forgetting) is when someone else has a hold on them. Since I know someone is waiting for the book I always feel like we need to return them on time.

When I went to the actual library I was AWFUL for returning books late. Now that I borrow digital copies I am 100% cured. If a book is due there’s really no excuse for not either returning or renewing it.

If it is an older book and no holds, I may renew it for a second 3 weeks. If it is a 7 day express (no renewals, $1 over due) I return on time. If it is one I have waited for on hold a long time, I try to finish on time but pay the fine if I can't. I figure the money goes for more books.

I always try to return on time. Our library is good about sending reminders when stuff is nearing it's due date. At that point if I need it for longer, I renew it online. If it is not able to be renewed, I return it within a few days.

If it’s a popular book that has hold requests it can’t be renewed. So there’s the pressure to finish it on time. And I usually know that when I get the book and drop everything and read.

Others books I don’t sweat the fines for. A quarter here or there doesn’t hurt me. They don’t put a hold on the card until the fines reach $10 so I’m good. I probably still owe them money. They mainly just want the books back.

This thread is a good reminder that I have a whole whack of library books due tomorrow.
Yes, I try to return all my books on time. No, I don’t feel guilty if I don’t.

I have renewed a book several times in order to finish it. As long as they allow it, why shouldn't I?

Our library does have a 2 renewal policy. I have on a couple occasions have to go to the library, check it back in and then check it out again. Again, if there are no holds and the library allows it...

I used to be a diehard about returning before the due date. Now that I've actually been working at a library I'm actually LESS strict with myself. I voted "real, but kindly." I finish the book as quickly as I can and return it. I owe $0.25 (for the one extra day I needed) on my library account for the first time in my life. At least at our library, patrons can see on line if there are people waiting on hold for the book. If no one is waiting it seems reasonable to pay the fee and turn it in a little late.

In general I never have a problem getting things turned in because 3 weeks is plenty of time. Since I've been spending so much time in another state (doing elder care) it has been more challenging. 2 renewal can buy 6 more weeks so it's only been a problem if the book has holds on it and I can't renew.

I won't borrow unless they are downloaded. I don't know why, but I always avoid returning them. Silly because it's a convenient drive thru box but I don't waste those late fees anymore.

I voted for just a suggestion, but if I know there's a hold on the book (which I know because I can't renew it online) then I'll take it back right away.
- Woman who paid an $80 library fine last year. The librarian laughed and said thanks for the donation so they could buy a bunch of new books :-)

I keep them until I am done with them- could be on time- could be a month late, who knows. It is a whopping 5 cents a day fine LOL so if I keep it a whole month past due date its like a buck fifty.

Our library did away with overdue fees..said they'd rather get the books back eventually (they send out reminders every week) than have people avoid returning something so they don't have to pay.

My mother is a retired librarian. According to her, due dates are definitely a suggestion. I don't think she's ever returned a book on time in her life.

So, do y'all want to know the real answer? The answer is, it depends ...

just so that you're aware, the books that you see on public library shelves normally represent about 1/3 of what the library holds in the circulating collection; the amount of shelving available reflects that. At most libraries, we literally could not re-shelve the entire collection if it all came back at once. Therefore, the due date is normally a suggestion, mostly meant to remind you that it is a loan rather than a gift. We also do not expect the normal fines to serve as much of a deterrent to late returns; fines are an additional source of revenue, albeit a very small one. (Most public libraries still charge somewhere between .10-.25/day for late fees, and often have grace periods as well; we are not raking in a fortune in fines.) At most libraries, waiting a bit on declaring it lost and billing for replacement cost is deliberate; we don't particularly want patrons to get into the habit of using our collection as a "try before you buy bookstore", especially if the title in question is out-of-print and cannot easily be replaced.

Where does it depend? Best-sellers and books needed to support K-12 school curriculum. Not all public libraries officially support school curriculum (which is a funding issue of library vs. school board), but those that do seldom have enough titles in the collection to do it in a meaningful way. However, when it is science-project time in an entire district, and every science-project title is checked out by the day after the deadline is announced, then yes, PLEASE bring those books back as soon as possible, because you know that there are other parents whose kids need them just as much as yours do. Make copies of the important pages and get the book back into circulation as soon as possible, please.

Best-sellers normally are provided by public libraries through rental programs, in that the library pays to rent multiple copies from a book wholesaler rather than purchasing them. Demand for best-sellers is transient, and it isn't the best use of tax dollars to buy 30 copies of a book like Gone Girl when the demand is going to slack off within about 6 months of publication. We usually buy 2-3 copies for each branch, but rent additional copies for a few months to meet initial high demand. After the rush is over, those go back to the wholesaler in trade for extra copies of the next hot title. (We normally can't use this solution with things like the science-project books, as those are not volume-discounted by the publishers the way that best-selling titles are.) We do like to keep our spend as low as possible on the temporary rental collection, so we often will push a bit harder to get those back as quickly as possible and into the hands of the next person on the waiting list.

By the way, the electronic best-sellers that libraries provide also cost us a bit more, which is why we seldom have a really large number of copies available. Public libraries almost never own popular electronic titles outright; instead they pay to license them from for-profit service companies. The hotter the title, the more the service charges for each "seat" license; which translates into how many simultaneous check-outs it may have, or in some cases, how many check-outs it may have, period, before the library is required to buy it again (e-books, it seems, "wear out" a whole lot faster than paper copies; at least according to certain publishers.) For titles that are not in really high demand, we often can buy access to large sets at far less cost (which is how all those Harlequin romance e-books appeared in ma ny library collections; Overdrive sells that access for a pittance compared to works from marquee publishers like Simon & Schuster.) Even now, most library budgets have funds for ebooks separated out from funds for hardcopy titles, so if you want more ebooks (or audio books), borrow more of them. Libraries need proof of demand to justify shifting funding to that service.

Our library allows for online renewals if if someone else hasn't put a "hold" request on that item (Hard copies only). Digital material is also easy to renew online. Our library is a regional one and has multiple branches in the greater regional district tha share materials. My DD9 was not finished reading a book and wanted to renew, but someone had put a hold on it, but there were 4 other copies available. I couldn't renew online ,but went into the library and spoke with the librarian, and she was able to override the system, renew DD9's book and bring another copy to the branch from another branch for the person who had put a hold on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter